Extra-Curric stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My major is Biology, however I have earned a concentration in Strength and Conditioning and a minor in nutrition. I was just wonder if volunteering in the strength center helping athletes with technique and programming would count as a "Extra-Curric" activity. I spend near 4-8 hours helping the Strength coaches at my university and I have spent a lot of time trying to teach athletes about pre-hab exercises in between their sets instead of just standing around.

Anyways, I know it's not direct hospital experience, but would my experiences in the strength center be applicable to my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, to add to my previous question, does the more PT observation hours vs. the bare minimum PT hours make for an advantage when applying? Do schools like that you clocked 200 hours with a different PT's instead of the minimum requirement they set at 100 hours?

Hey Guys,

My major is Biology, however I have earned a concentration in Strength and Conditioning and a minor in nutrition. I was just wonder if volunteering in the strength center helping athletes with technique and programming would count as a "Extra-Curric" activity. I spend near 4-8 hours helping the Strength coaches at my university and I have spent a lot of time trying to teach athletes about pre-hab exercises in between their sets instead of just standing around.

Anyways, I know it's not direct hospital experience, but would my experiences in the strength center be applicable to my application?

There are generally three separate sections on an applications for things like this: extra-curriculars, volunteering and PT experience. You will most likely list it as an extra-curricular or volunteer experience, but not a PT experience. It's a plus to have some extra-currics/volunteer hours that you have shown a true commitment to outside of PT though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, to add to my previous question, does the more PT observation hours vs. the bare minimum PT hours make for an advantage when applying? Do schools like that you clocked 200 hours with a different PT's instead of the minimum requirement they set at 100 hours?

I think that the selection committee at most schools like to see that you are well-rounded when it comes to observation hours. So, for example, if the school that you are applying requires 100 hours, I would not do all of those in one place only. I would split those in different facilities, including: inpatient, outpatient hospital, outpatient clinics, peds, geriatrics, etc....

I think you should try and aim a bit higher than the bare minimum, but like everyone said try to get your experience in multiple settings to show that you are well rounded. I volunteered at two different hospitals with outpatient and inpatient settings. As well as work part-time in a private practice.

k first of all i just want to apologize for this randomass post.....but i'm trying to post a new thread and i simply can not figure out :confused::eek:(i know go ahead insult) i looked in the FAQ and they said just simply press the ' new thread' icon. can't find it. and then i tried to go on the chat so i could ask people there but didn't work. so could someone please educate me.

p.s. it's my 1st day on here so try not to tear me to shreds...:xf:

i posted here coz my thread was gna be bout extra- curriculars thanks in advance and sorrrry again:(

k first of all i just want to apologize for this randomass post.....but i'm trying to post a new thread and i simply can not figure out :confused::eek:(i know go ahead insult) i looked in the FAQ and they said just simply press the ' new thread' icon. can't find it. and then i tried to go on the chat so i could ask people there but didn't work. so could someone please educate me.

p.s. it's my 1st day on here so try not to tear me to shreds...:xf:

i posted here coz my thread was gna be bout extra- curriculars thanks in advance and sorrrry again:(

Make sure you are at the rehab forum main page:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210

The "New Thread" icon is going to be in the upper left corner right before the threads actually start. I hope this helps!