Differences in curriculum/structure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flip1616

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a prospective student finalizing my applications and list of schools. I'd like to get your thoughts on how different programs are structured. The programs are of course all similar, but some schools are 2 1/2 years, some are a full 3, some start with a lighter load the first summer, and some have summers off. Do you think the differences are meaningful? Would you have liked your school to have a different structure, and if so, why?

(I realize that even if I'm lucky enough to have a choice between programs, cost differences will likely trump other factors, but I'm still curious). Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should focus on structure of the curriculum. It is tough to say that one is better than another unless you personally have gone through both. One way to look at it is that all of these programs are created in the way they think will prepare you best for the NPTE. I would look at exam pass rates, tuition price, and maybe even talk to current students/alumni to see how their experience was.

Hi everyone, I'm a prospective student finalizing my applications and list of schools. I'd like to get your thoughts on how different programs are structured. The programs are of course all similar, but some schools are 2 1/2 years, some are a full 3, some start with a lighter load the first summer, and some have summers off. Do you think the differences are meaningful? Would you have liked your school to have a different structure, and if so, why?

(I realize that even if I'm lucky enough to have a choice between programs, cost differences will likely trump other factors, but I'm still curious). Thank you!
I never thought about it until my second year, but I am very grateful that my school mixes up didactic and clinic. We went to our first clinic shortly after our first year, second clinic at the end of second year, final two clinics in our third year (wellllll 3rd year was supposed to be 2 rotations but covid, now it's one extended clinic). Basically 4 didactic semesters, 1 clinic, 2 didactic, 1 clinic, 1 didactic, 2 clinics (two of the didactics were condensed 8 week semesters to allow for 8 weeks of clinic).

By the time I went to my first clinic I was burnt out and miserable, and clinic allowed me to breathe, reset, and rediscover why I wanted to become a PT to begin with. I was able to go back to the classroom refreshed and somewhat rested ("only" working 40 hours/week was a rest).

Returning to the classroom, all of us had very different experiences we could share with each other, and related to the material being taught very differently. We could also ask our teachers about different things we saw in clinic as we learned about things in class. Classroom discussions became much more rich and meaningful since we could share and talk about so much more.

I don't know that how a school structures its program is a deal-breaker per se but if you are lucky enough to be comparing offers, this is something I would take into consideration...but I think that's very much a personal opinion & you probably won't know your own opinion on it until you experience it.

I'm really curious what students think who do all didactic first two years and then only rotate their final year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Program length can also vary due to the different length of your clinical rotations. I had 6, 8, and 8 weeks of clinicals. Other schools have 3 clinicals 12 weeks each. So for me, less weeks of clinicals are better. You get enough basic experience and will get the rest when you start working. With extra weeks of clinicals, you are just working for free longer.

I never thought about it until my second year, but I am very grateful that my school mixes up didactic and clinic. We went to our first clinic shortly after our first year, second clinic at the end of second year, final two clinics in our third year (wellllll 3rd year was supposed to be 2 rotations but covid, now it's one extended clinic). Basically 4 didactic semesters, 1 clinic, 2 didactic, 1 clinic, 1 didactic, 2 clinics (two of the didactics were condensed 8 week semesters to allow for 8 weeks of clinic).

By the time I went to my first clinic I was burnt out and miserable, and clinic allowed me to breathe, reset, and rediscover why I wanted to become a PT to begin with. I was able to go back to the classroom refreshed and somewhat rested ("only" working 40 hours/week was a rest).

Returning to the classroom, all of us had very different experiences we could share with each other, and related to the material being taught very differently. We could also ask our teachers about different things we saw in clinic as we learned about things in class. Classroom discussions became much more rich and meaningful since we could share and talk about so much more.

I don't know that how a school structures its program is a deal-breaker per se but if you are lucky enough to be comparing offers, this is something I would take into consideration...but I think that's very much a personal opinion & you probably won't know your own opinion on it until you experience it.

I'm really curious what students think who do all didactic first two years and then only rotate their final year.
I agree, we had our first clinical after our 1st year (so 3 didactic, then clinical) and it was a great break between classroom learning and going out into the field. Coming back for our second year I felt I was better able to apply what I was learning clinically as I have already been in the clinic before, as well as each person sharing their own clinical experiences.

Our program also had integrated clinicals throughout the semesters, once a week for 5 hours. This was also HUGE in improving my clinical thought process/ learning. If you can, look for a program that offers that.

I'm in a program that does all didactic the first two years (with 2 mini-clinicals between 1st and 2nd year). It's stressful but I feel like the specific structure of content delivery would have little to no impact on student anxiety. I've noticed a lot of DPT students from other programs (and some in my own) who really struggle with confidence and patient interaction. I feel that is more of a personal issue than a reflection on the program itself.

Basically, I believe you get out what you put in no matter what program (or anything else in life really) you choose to attend. I think that if you can make it through the first 2 full time academic years, you are rewarded with ~9months of rotations. It's nice. Personally, I do not like "switching gears" more often than I have to so this works for me. Even so, I can make arguments for either style of education.