Ever wonder why PA get more respect than us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
No. You took one situation that you observed and generalized it to every situation. It's not universally true.

I've personally observed ICU nurses give the attending MD huge amounts of attitude over sedation/pain control/wound care stuff/etc. The ICU pharmacist where I worked was universally loved by the all the nurses, techs, etc. But I won't generalize that to any larger context.

I am an ICU nurse and this is how it was where I worked. We all adored our pharmacist. He gave us the meds we needed for our patient and was on top of everything.

And sass was given -when warranted- to docs, PA's, NP's etc.

I dunno. SDN can be pretty real life. I've met some great friends on here....
And in real life if you called your colleagues *******es I would tell you that you are out of line.

I'm trying not to be rude...but...
It seems as if you cannot distinguish between actions and thoughts. When did I state that I would call one of my colleagues a *******? Don't let reading comprehension trip you up on the NAPLEX/MPJE.

SDN can be pretty real life? I don't have as many posts as you, so we probably have different views on the reality of internet forums. To you it may be, to me, not so much. But I do respect your stance on the matter.

Yeah, see... I disagree with you that there is some sort of special nurse-on-pharmacist hatred out there. But I've already shared my thoughts about that upthread.

I do at least agree with you that people behave badly more often online than they do IRL. I think it's lame. It takes a big tough guy to be an internet badass, I guess. :smuggrin: I stand by my assertion that intra-professional attitudes in this forum are the pits. I'm not anonymous on here, so my internet persona is pretty much the same as my "real life" one.

As far as what I do when I encounter a disrespectful person, IRL... I guess I just don't worry about it as much as you do. I state my case, do my job, and move on. I don't dwell or prestige or "respect" or any other things that don't matter.

That's where differences of personality come into play. I to be treated as I treat others. I didn't think such a thing was so unorthadox in healthcare. I am just weird like that, I suppose. To me, respect matters. I guess I can blame my parents and culture for that.

stupid golden rule:mad:

I am an ICU nurse and this is how it was where I worked. We all adored our pharmacist. He gave us the meds we needed for our patient and was on top of everything.

And sass was given -when warranted- to docs, PA's, NP's etc.

From what I have been told..smaller hospitals are a little more cordial.

I'm trying not to be rude...but...
It seems as if you cannot distinguish between actions and thoughts. When did I state that I would call one of my colleagues a *******? Don't let reading comprehension trip you up on the NAPLEX/MPJE.

SDN can be pretty real life? I don't have as many posts as you, so we probably have different views on the reality of internet forums. To you it may be, to me, not so much. But I do respect your stance on the matter.

SERIOUSLY. Stop. You are being rude. There are plenty of people who seem to be "misunderstanding" your points in this thread. That would suggest that it might be YOU who has the communication problem. When so many misunderstand you, sometimes "it's not us... it's you."

That's where differences of personality come into play. I to be treated as I treat others. I didn't think such a thing was so unorthadox in healthcare. I am just weird like that, I suppose. To me, respect matters. I guess I can blame my parents and culture for that.

stupid golden rule:mad:

The underlined sentence doesn't make sense. :(

What I *think* you might be trying to say is that you expect to be treated as you treat others. So, what do you do when someone is rude to you? Behave rudely in return? Sink to their level? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

From what I have been told..smaller hospitals are a little more cordial.

This one was only 350 beds, but I've worked 700 bed hospitals before and didn't notice much difference. As has been said, respect is earned. Honestly though, I try and remain even and civil even if someone is a total asshat. I know not everyone is like that.

crap! Under my husbands name again! I'll let it ride. We have this new program running in the background - Ghostery - and it covers the upper right corner. Sorry about any confusion!

This one was only 350 beds, but I've worked 700 bed hospitals before and didn't notice much difference. As has been said, respect is earned. Honestly though, I try and remain even and civil even if someone is a total asshat. I know not everyone is like that.

Me too. Nothing to be gained by sinking to the level of others' bad behavior.

Members don't see this ad :)
The underlined sentence doesn't make sense. :(

What I *think* you might be trying to say is that you expect to be treated as you treat others. So, what do you do when someone is rude to you? Behave rudely in return? Sink to their level? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I'm sure you knew what meant to be typed. I expect to be treated with respect because I treat others with respect. When a nurse has been rude to me on the phone in the past, I did check her and I was a tech at the time. For some reason, most opt not to be rude to me in person. I don't sink to their level because I feel you shouldn't be rude to others. Why do you insist on repeating that I am rude to people or will be? Please reread my posts.

SERIOUSLY. Stop. You are being rude. There are plenty of people who seem to be "misunderstanding" your points in this thread. That would suggest that it might be YOU who has the communication problem. When so many misunderstand you, sometimes "it's not us... it's you."

I don't know how else to put it. Thoughts are different from actions. Thinking is not the same as doing. Why do you all keep saying the same wrong thing over and over?? It puzzles me.

Do these two statements say the same thing?

I thought of the order.
I verified the order.

Of course they don't so why do you and your fellow attackers keep saying that I treat nurses as *******es vs me thinking to myself, "she is a ******* so I better detail the instructions so she doesn't over treat the patient and have me at fault for not being clear." And politely tell her the instructions over the phone? Recently a nurse used the same insulin pen to medicate multiple patients. This is a true story. Do you think a ball was dropped somewhere between the order being requested and administration? Someone probably assumed a nurse would not use the same insulin pen to treat more than one person.

Last edited:
So much drama. Attackers? LOL

You said you are NEVER disrespectful. Obviously false statement, because you've made several very disrespectful statements to other posters in this thread. I would submit that you are perhaps not as professional and respectful IRL as you seem to think you are, just based on your behavior here. I also think it's amusing that you persist in correcting others' reading and "comprehension" skills when your own written communication skills are less than perfect. Your lack of self awareness is hilarious.

I should have followed my own advice long ago, and stopped responding to you.

You said you are NEVER disrespectful. Obviously false statement, because you've made several very disrespectful statements to other posters in this thread. I would submit that you are perhaps not as professional and respectful IRL as you seem to think you are, just based on your behavior here. I also think it's amusing that you persist in correcting others' reading and "comprehension" skills when your own written communication skills are less than perfect. Your lack of self awareness is hilarious.

Obviously I'm never going to be a member of the RX Door Mat Association. If someone is being rude/attacking me, I am not going to turn the other cheek indefinitely. Taking Kindness for Weakness is not just a silly cliche, it happens in real life. There's a balance between the golden rule and not having your kindness being interpreted as weakness. Again, that's the difference between us.

You should have listened to the inner All4MyDaughter and just given up. Also, my evaluations are always flawless. Thanks!

Why, I'd never!!!

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore.

llama.gif

It's about respect, something a unicorn could never ever understand.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but we all go by first names in my unit. Everyone calls our attendings "Steve" or "Chris" or "Jim." It isn't Dr. xxxx. No one cares, we all work together. The would correct you if you tried to say Dr xxxxx.

Wait til the D'Youville grads descend upon your hospital buddy... things gonna chaaaaaaaaange in your unit.

What I found ironic is that YoungEel is being quite rude over the internet in a fashion he apparently is not in real life, yet can't understand why a nurse would be rude to him over the phone and not in person.

What I found ironic is that YoungEel is being quite rude over the internet in a fashion he apparently is not in real life, yet can't understand why a nurse would be rude to him over the phone and not in person.

Perplexing

Disclaimer: This thread is not intended to start a war between PA vs PharmD.

As I was looking for a patient's chart to write a SOAP note, an RN said, "the doctor has it". I glanced over at the desk. It was a PA dictating H/P. I've noticed several things:

1. Why do RNs often call PA "Dr"....when they are not.
2. Why do RNs often get "scared" of PA while they see pharmacists (Pharm.D) at the same level...or even worse treat us like s***?
3. Why RNs don't mind picking up "fights" (arguments) with pharmacist (or pharmacy personnel), when they don't even dare to open their mouth to say anything with PA?

The funny thing is we have gone to school long enough to earn a Pharm.D and nobody cares or gives us the respect we deserve...while some PA from community college get better respect than us.:confused: Horrible trend now. This trend is increasing, unfortunately.

A logical explanation to this might simply be a natural chain of command type argument. A nurse might give more respect to a physician or a PA because the nurse is more likely to be directly employed by or receiving orders from a physician or PA. As far as I know, pharmacists rarely employ or oversee nurses. On the other hand, it is quite possible that a pharm tech might be the exact opposite and put more stock in the opinion of a pharmacist over a PA in the appropriate professional setting. Who knows?

There are bad eggs everywhere but I don't see how being reactionary and responding in the same manner will accomplish anything. Granted, you have more experience than I do and things are done differently from place to place. I don't think it is "be good and you will get some respect" as much as it is "advocate for your team and your patients and you will get some respect". We've had n00b nurses come in thinking they know EVERYTHING (pharmacists too!) and they quickly find out that they aren't going to be able to have that chip on their shoulder forever.

The problem is, this isn't one or two people. These identical situations happen ALL THE TIME. Because we are on the other side of the phone they do not care if they are rude - it doesn't affect them at all. The ONLY way to get them to calm down - for a few minutes - is to ask for their badge number and let them know that you will report them.

The problem is, this isn't one or two people. These identical situations happen ALL THE TIME. Because we are on the other side of the phone they do not care if they are rude - it doesn't affect them at all. The ONLY way to get them to calm down - for a few minutes - is to ask for their badge number and let them know that you will report them.

I cannot imagine that calming someone down. :laugh:

I don't think that response is necessarily rude or unreasonable. Nobody deserves to be abused. I think it is appropriate to tell someone to use a professional tone when talking to you and, if they don't, let them know that you are willing to take further (appropriate) action. We have reported nurses to the compliance line before. That's why those things exist.

I don't think that response is necessarily rude or unreasonable. Nobody deserves to be abused. I think it is appropriate to tell someone to use a professional tone when talking to you and, if they don't, let them know that you are willing to take further (appropriate) action. We have reported nurses to the compliance line before. That's why those things exist.

The funny thing is that when a PharmD makes mistakes (transcribing errors, wrong meds), RN/nursing staffs won't hesitate to report to nursing supervisors. On the other hands, when MDs/PAs make mistakes, RN/nursing staffs usually say something like this "it's okay, doctor. Don't worry about it...". WTF? Seriously?

Last edited:
The funny thing is that when a PharmD makes mistakes (transcribing errors, wrong meds), RN/nursing staffs won't hesitate to report to nursing supervisors. On the other hands, when MDs/PAs make mistakes, RN/nursing staffs usually say something like this "it's okay, doctor. Don't worry about it...". WTF? Seriously?

Some lenience is given to practitioners because the practitioners have a daily influence in a nurse's life- they are their employers.

Is it fair? Not really, but it's pretty basic. Unless a person has some influence in your life, you tend to not give them the same flexibility as someone who does affect your life.

PAs get more respect bc their job market isn't saturated like pharmacy :D

Bingo! Big reason is this, too. Diamond are worthless if they aren't rare.

I think you might be missing an inside joke here. Tope pretty much brings every issue back to saturation - he is sorta like a saturation Evangelist. He even put an emoticon to highlight the joke.

Or I could be reading too much into an emoticon. :laugh: