This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone! Now that it's clearly been two days of calls and a silent phone, I guess its probably a no for me this year :(

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone! Now that it's clearly been two days of calls and a silent phone, I guess its probably a no for me this year :(

In previous years people got calls over several weeks and some were even waitlisted. I wouldn’t worry just yet. Two days is no time! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't give up hope. The director was making calls... if he's calling individually up to 70 people it could take a while! PLUS there may be a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call earlier today!

Reactions: 1 user
According to another friend, waitlist emails are going out.

Got THE call this afternoon. First time poster - and this board has been super useful (along with prior years EIS discussions). Thank you everyone.
education: MPH, PhD(c)

I just got the call!!! For those still waiting on a call or email, they are really behind on calls since they are so busy. Don't give up yet!

Congrats guys and gals!

I forgot to ask them on the phone, did anyone happen to get the number of positions this year?

Congrats guys and gals!

I forgot to ask them on the phone, did anyone happen to get the number of positions this year?
I think it was only 50 or so this year. Budget cuts, I believe.

Question for those who were accepted, were you told of when you have to accept the offer by?

I'm waitlisted and it would be nice to know when to expect the second wave of calls should some not accept the position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those who were accepted, were you told of when you have to accept the offer by?

I'm waitlisted and it would be nice to know when to expect the second wave of calls should some not accept the position.
lol, I accepted almost before he asked like it was an engagement proposal, so I have no clue what their deadline is!

lol, I accepted almost before he asked like it was an engagement proposal, so I have no clue what their deadline is!

haha I hear you! That's probably the only proposal I'd be happy to say yes to!

Well, when anyone receives the email to officially accept please let us know of the offer acceptance deadline.

Congrats to those who were accepted! I hope I get to join you soon.

In response to Lady Inspector Gadget, we are to receive formal email in the next few days, and have seven days to accept. Hope that helps with anticipating timing of second wave calls.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got the call!!! For those still waiting on a call or email, they are really behind on calls since they are so busy. Don't give up yet!
YAY! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

If only Obama could have 4 more years or Hilary won or many other things but the current situation. :( In the words of Trump... So sad.
First, a massive congrats to people already accepted...you guys are rock stars.

As another waitlister, I thought I'd take a closer look at these possible budget cuts.
The president's proposed budget for the CDC (google: 2018 cdc budget) wasn't encouraging. (I mean...prion diseases are like so 1980's/90's/2000's anyway?)
Luckily, it looks like both the House and Senate have initially ignored the president's recommendations in each of the Labor/HHS/Education subcommittees if you take a close look at the budget for the CDC...fairly even to last year.
I guess there is a bit of bartering at the end, but they are supposed to make up their minds by December 8th (even though the fiscal year started October 1st).
If you want to check out the documents look at: google: appropriations bills us gov 2018 or appropriations watch fy 2018
(sorry for the weird google suggestions....should be 1st link with search...I'm not cool enough to post direct links on this board)

By the way I have ZERO idea how this may influence timelines for the waitlisters or if more positions would be made available...but interesting none the less.
TANSTAAFL

As another waitlister, I thought I'd take a closer look at these possible budget cuts.
The president's proposed budget for the CDC (google: 2018 cdc budget) wasn't encouraging. (I mean...prion diseases are like so 1980's/90's/2000's anyway?)
Luckily, it looks like both the House and Senate have initially ignored the president's recommendations in each of the Labor/HHS/Education subcommittees if you take a close look at the budget for the CDC...fairly even to last year.
I guess there is a bit of bartering at the end, but they are supposed to make up their minds by December 8th (even though the fiscal year started October 1st).
If you want to check out the documents look at: google: appropriations bills us gov 2018 or appropriations watch fy 2018
(sorry for the weird google suggestions....should be 1st link with search...I'm not cool enough to post direct links on this board)

By the way I have ZERO idea how this may influence timelines for the waitlisters or if more positions would be made available...but interesting none the less.
TANSTAAFL

Thanks for doing the search on that. I remember during the interview I was told they aren't certain how much of the budget they will be getting. They are accepting ~50 applicants because they think they will receive enough to at least cover that. Once they do have a solid amount and they have extra to spare they will be accepting more.

Here is to hoping that it's not as bad of a cut as we all think.

Btw EpiABC, have you received an email regarding the prematch spots yet? I haven't received anything yet and hoping I didn't miss it.

Congrats to all the acceptances!

Is there anyone out there who hasn't heard anything yet (or maybe just heard today)? I've been triple-checking my inbox and have been glued to my phone since last week and so far nothing, but maybe it's just taking time to distribute everything...

Congrats to all the acceptances!

Is there anyone out there who hasn't heard anything yet (or maybe just heard today)? I've been triple-checking my inbox and have been glued to my phone since last week and so far nothing, but maybe it's just taking time to distribute everything...

I say if you haven't heard back to give them a call and ask if there may be some sort of glitch in the matrix.

For all those waitlisted... has anyone received the prematch email? I hope I didn't miss it.
First post here, although I have been checking this forum almost on the daily haha.

I am also waitlisted (1st year, phd, mph). I just called a moment ago to ask about the pre-match email and they said it had not been sent out.

First post here, although I have been checking this forum almost on the daily haha.

I am also waitlisted (1st year, phd, mph). I just called a moment ago to ask about the pre-match email and they said it had not been sent out.

Thank you for calling and for the info! Im hopeful for all those on the waitlist.

Appointment letters were sent out yesterday that mentioned prematch emails should be going out this week. I'm not sure if it would be a different date for waitlist or if everyone will get the prematch info at the same time.

I say if you haven't heard back to give them a call and ask if there may be some sort of glitch in the matrix.

Actually . . . the Matrix has you and you don't even know it yet. If you get accepted into EIS you get to choose the red pill, visit Wonderland and see how far down the Epidemiological rabbit hole you'll go.

Attachments

• IMG_7882.JPG
    IMG_7882.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 53
Actually . . . the Matrix has you and you don't even know it yet. If you get accepted into EIS you get to choose the red pill, visit Wonderland and see how far down the Epidemiological rabbit hole you'll go.

lol hand over the red pill! That's one pill I wouldn't mind taking #PreventiveMedicineForLife

Btw folks, prematch email has been sent. Let's go! Round 2! *ding*ding*ding* We got this! (Just finished a kickboxing session and I'm feeling pumped!)

Last edited:
Appointment letters were sent out yesterday that mentioned prematch emails should be going out this week. I'm not sure if it would be a different date for waitlist or if everyone will get the prematch info at the same time.
Hello,
I was wait-listed for the class of 2015!!! Waitlisters get a chance to FILL the pre-match application. They will not be actually offered anything till the EIS conference or if someone else drops out. And, there is a slight probability of someone dropping out before the conference. A friend of mine had dropped for the class of 2017!!!

Hello,
I was wait-listed for the class of 2015!!! Waitlisters get a chance to FILL the pre-match application. They will not be actually offered anything till the EIS conference or if someone else drops out. And, there is a slight probability of someone dropping out before the conference. A friend of mine had dropped for the class of 2017!!!

I hope you got in.

According to the email for prematch positions the final decision will be made mid December for those particular spots.

You are right though, nothing is ever final until it is confirmed that all spots are filled.

For those that have been accepted- we have started a WhatsApp group- feel free to message me if you would like to be added.

Fingers crossed for everyone on the waitlist (including me), hopefully we get contacted for the prematch spots!

Hi EIS 2018! Congratulations on your acceptances! I thought it was too early to start an EIS 2019 group as the application doesn't open for months, but because it is out of the application window I cannot view the application on CDC's website. I've looked at it before but unfortunately did not save the questions they asked. Does anybody have a copy of the specific questions asked on the application (if that's okay to share)? I remember there is a part asking you if you've attended EIS conferences or done any of their electives or fellowships and stuff like that, and I want to make sure it's worth it for me as an application booster/networking venture to head to the conference in April 2018 (I am a 3rd year DVM/MPH student graduating in 2019) because I don't have a ton of money for flights at the moment and will already be traveling a fair amount in my clinical year. Has anybody been to the conference before and found it helpful? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi EIS 2018! Congratulations on your acceptances! I thought it was too early to start an EIS 2019 group as the application doesn't open for months, but because it is out of the application window I cannot view the application on CDC's website. I've looked at it before but unfortunately did not save the questions they asked. Does anybody have a copy of the specific questions asked on the application (if that's okay to share)? I remember there is a part asking you if you've attended EIS conferences or done any of their electives or fellowships and stuff like that, and I want to make sure it's worth it for me as an application booster/networking venture to head to the conference in April 2018 (I am a 3rd year DVM/MPH student graduating in 2019) because I don't have a ton of money for flights at the moment and will already be traveling a fair amount in my clinical year. Has anybody been to the conference before and found it helpful? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi there. I've gone to the conferences twice and applied twice. First time was 2 years prior to my first application. The second time was this year right before application portal opened up. I'm MD MPH and I didn't get an interview first time I applied because I'm Canadian, much slimmer chances when in the international pool. Second application I received an interview because I am now a green card holder. Also, I met EIS alumni at the conference who offered to speak to me about my application and look over my personal statement. The second reason I advise about going to these conferences is so that you have a solid idea of the type of work EIS officers are involved in and to amplify in your application how EIS is going to benefit you. They are interested in how it will benefit you and your career rather than what you bring to the table.

I'm waitlisted now and I think many are in this category because of the smaller class size this year due to funding cuts.

I hope this helped in some way :)

LLS class of 2018:I have beed accepted and matched.
See you all in April 2018.

Anyone hear anything yet about pre-match interviews?

They sent out interview requests except for one position because the supervisor has not had a chance to look at the applications yet. Final decision for the pre-match position will be on December 8th and we have 48 hours to reply with yay or nay.

I keep reminding myself that I've worked hard for this the last 4-5 years, what's another few more weeks. Keeping the faith alive.

They sent out interview requests except for one position because the supervisor has not had a chance to look at the applications yet. Final decision for the pre-match position will be on December 8th and we have 48 hours to reply with yay or nay.

I keep reminding myself that I've worked hard for this the last 4-5 years, what's another few more weeks. Keeping the faith alive.
Thanks for the update. Well, as I'm on the waitlist and applied for pre-match spots and didn't hear back, I guess I'll assume the worst. Good luck in interviews!

Thanks for the update. Well, as I'm on the waitlist and applied for pre-match spots and didn't hear back, I guess I'll assume the worst. Good luck in interviews!

I'm sorry to hear that but don't lose hope. It's not over until the conference starts. People drop out and it isn't over until you receive an email saying it's over. You never know, there hasn't been a second wave of acceptance phone calls that I'm aware of. It usually happens after people who have been offered a position confirm acceptance or not. So maybe they are waiting until the prematch positions fill and then start calling the waitlisters. I'm staying positive for all of us!

Here's to hoping that some of you get in!

"Failed plans should not be interpreted as a failed vision. Visions don't change, they are only refined. Plans rarely stay the same, and are scrapped or adjusted as needed. Be stubborn about the vision, but flexible with your plan." - John C. Maxwell

"I always say don't make plans, make options." - Jennifer Aniston

Here's to hoping that some of you get in!

"Failed plans should not be interpreted as a failed vision. Visions don't change, they are only refined. Plans rarely stay the same, and are scrapped or adjusted as needed. Be stubborn about the vision, but flexible with your plan." - John C. Maxwell

"I always say don't make plans, make options." - Jennifer Aniston

Thank you! I've been thinking along similar lines recently just in case and it has definitely helped me stay positive and looking forward.

Btw, She-Hulk, excellent name! Question, Do you transform when you are Hangry? Lol :D:p

Last edited:
I got the call!!! I've been accepted!!! Class of 2018 I can't wait to meet you all!!!

The fisherman don't give up hope! They are calling from the waitlist!

Last edited:
Thank you! I've been thinking along similar lines recently just in case and it has definitely helped me stay positive and looking forward.

Btw, She-Hulk, excellent name! Question, Do you transform when you are Hangry? Lol :D:p

Yeah . . . that's actually my secret, I'm always hangry! Especially around pizza.

Hi there. I've gone to the conferences twice and applied twice. First time was 2 years prior to my first application. The second time was this year right before application portal opened up. I'm MD MPH and I didn't get an interview first time I applied because I'm Canadian, much slimmer chances when in the international pool. Second application I received an interview because I am now a green card holder. Also, I met EIS alumni at the conference who offered to speak to me about my application and look over my personal statement. The second reason I advise about going to these conferences is so that you have a solid idea of the type of work EIS officers are involved in and to amplify in your application how EIS is going to benefit you. They are interested in how it will benefit you and your career rather than what you bring to the table.

I'm waitlisted now and I think many are in this category because of the smaller class size this year due to funding cuts.

I hope this helped in some way :)
Thank you so much!