This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay7184

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here applying for the CDC's Epidemic Intelligence Service? Usually there's an annual EIS thread, but haven't seen any mention so far this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying here too! Seems like the application deadline was a little earlier than previous years. Still waiting for my application to switch to "Your application is being reviewed."

I've also applied! I haven't seen any change in application status either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied for LLS class of 2018. My status has been updated to "Under review"

I applied too. No updates on my online application either. It looks like last year people started hearing back for interviews 5 weeks after the deadline.

My application status still says to "check back to track receipt of supporting materials", but they already told me they received everything. Still no change indicating "under review". It seems like this year's timeline is much different than prior years, so not really helpful. Anyone else hear anything or have the same thing showing up still on their status page?

I am also waiting for mine to switch from "successfully submitted" to "under review." I thought they would have finished reviewing by now, so I am a little worried.

My application status still says to "check back to track receipt of supporting materials", but they already told me they received everything. Still no change indicating "under review". It seems like this year's timeline is much different than prior years, so not really helpful. Anyone else hear anything or have the same thing showing up still on their status page?

Mine says the same. We may end up hearing back via email before they update the online system.

^^ I have a feeling that's going to be true. If you look at the timeline overall it seems that the entire years schedule is bumped up relative to what it was last year and previous years.

I'm applying this year as well. I called today to ask why it was switched over to application being review but the guy I spoke with confirmed that my application is currently being reviewed. I am a OBGYN physician applying to the cycle this year. Any one else a physician? At the conference this year, they informed us that the application deadline would be earlier so that they could notify individuals sooner about being accepted.

Wow, sounds like we're all in the same situation, anxiously checking the website. My status has not changed either, so I think we're all seeing the same thing. I'm a physician as well, reapplying after unfortunately not making the cut last time. I'm glad we're all here, and look forward to chatting more as the application process progresses. Good luck to all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear anything yet? I'm still waiting to switch to "under review."

I just checked this morning and my application says that it's now under review. Yayyy! Hope others have had a status change as well.

My status is still the same. If they are updating them to under review now I wonder if it will still be a few weeks before we hear back?

Status changed last night! Fingers crossed.

Mine still says "application received" but not under review like some people are seeing. Anyone else in the same boat? Good luck to everybody!

Mine still says "application received" but not under review like some people are seeing. Anyone else in the same boat? Good luck to everybody!
Mine too. the status is not changed yet.

Reactions: 1 user
same boat, no status change yet

Mine changed to "under review" today.

I am finally under review as well. Curious how long this next phase will be.

Yeah me too. Hopefully we hear back before the end of August.

So glad to have found this page. I applied for the EIS too and mine changed to 'under review' some days back. The suspense is terrifying.....

Last edited:
I've applied.... I've been working towards this for years. So nervous and excited!

My application now says "Under review."

Good luck to everyone - Hopefully everyone at least gets an interview! I believe we are notified via email if we get interviews. I'll check in once I hear back.

I wonder if they are still following the posted timeline. In that case we should be hearing back pretty soon.

Same, nothing. Hoping they get back to us by the end of the week, but that hope is slowly fading.....

The sound of silence...

Hi Everyone,

I'm also waiting. Getting pretty anxious at this point. I wish us all the best of luck!

I'm hoping we hear something soon. Starting to get really anxious.

Well, at least it's reassuring that none of us have heard yet!

FYI, it is possible that the hurricane in Texas will delay things. CDC officers who are also in the US Public Health Service may be deployed to the relief efforts down south.

Also have not heard anything back yet. Wishing everyone best of luck!

Has anyone called or emailed the office for an update?

I just got some info from a friend on the inside: invites for interviews are going out at the end of the week. Apparently, delay is due to the change in administration and budget cuts.

I was thinking about that too. I wonder if budget cuts also will mean a smaller EIS class for 2018.

I was thinking about that too. I wonder if budget cuts also will mean a smaller EIS class for 2018.
I thought that at first, but I doubt it. We are REALLY cheap labour for them, and it is an essential public health service that is mostly immune to extensive cuts.

I thought that at first, but I doubt it. We are REALLY cheap labour for them, and it is an essential public health service that is mostly immune to extensive cuts.

That is possible. I did speak with an EIS Alumni during this year's EIS conference and the number of international positions were down sized due to budget cuts last year. I believe they may be the first to take the hit before the American/PR positions.

Wishing us all good luck! :)