Einstein vs. UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbeast

That's cool I guess
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an in-state CA resident, I had assumed UCI would be a no-brainer better choice for cost alone (and location near the beach). But after a long convo with a doctor I work with today, he said choosing UCI over Einstein would be a "terrible mistake" due to patient population / hospital affiliations and size, not to mention that he says Einstein has a much better reputation in the eyes of residency directors. This doctor's a New Yorker so obviously he has a lot of bias, but still he's a really respected person at our hospital and seemed so sure of himself that I kind of am inclined to believe him. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As an in-state CA resident, I had assumed UCI would be a no-brainer better choice for cost alone (and location near the beach). But after a long convo with a doctor I work with today, he said choosing UCI over Einstein would be a "terrible mistake" due to patient population / hospital affiliations and size, not to mention that he says Einstein has a much better reputation in the eyes of residency directors. This doctor's a New Yorker so obviously he has a lot of bias, but still he's a really respected person at our hospital and seemed so sure of himself that I kind of am inclined to believe him. Do you guys have any thoughts?

As a CA resident but college east coaster, I'd recommend going out to NY if the costs arent a huge difference. I think the classroom education will be similar but the social/cultural/clinical experiences will be a lot better. Plus I worked at UCLA last summer and all the surgeons there sort of badmouthed UCI because their helathcare system is going through a lot of troubles (liver transplant center shut down a few years ago, controversy with anesthieology dept not doing proper paperwork, etc). The fellow i worked with transferred out of the UCI residency program so they might have been biased. good luck!

You'll be fine either way. But do keep in mind there does exist some regional bias (there is a thread about it in pre-med right now).

If you want to do your residency in Cali then make your life easy and go to UCI. The PDs at Cali programs will know your letter writers and that will make you a better candidate.

Einstein may be well regarded on the east coast, but not so much on the west coast - not that its bad - just I don't think anyone would jump up and down thinking its better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine that, a New Yorker who thinks the world revolves around New York :rolleyes:.

UCI all the way...
$15K per year cheaper

ranked only 1 spot below Einstein (which is nothing). Also, they jumped up 5 spots this year.

Beautiful, sunny southern California, near the beach

Great research opportunities

FREE ipad2 & textbooks (http://www.ocregister.com/news/students-297194-work-medical.html), which is part of an awesome movement integrating technology in the curriculum. This also includes ultra sound training through out all four years.

Brand new medical education building, including a new simulation center. Also, a brand new hospital for 3rd and 4th year.

Regarding "patient population," UCI medical center serves all of OC, which includes Santa Ana, which is pretty different than Laguna or Newport.

Sorry to be a self bumper but I'm still not completely sold either way although thanks for all the great advice so far...

I'd say it really depends on where you want to practice.

UCI may not have the best patient population... but its the same population you would see if you stayed in Ca.

Also, you are familiar with Ca already; you know how to have fun here. Moving to new york would not only be an academic, but also a personal shock. It might not work for you. I'd stick with what you know (sounds boring).

but what do I know... i'm stupid

I vote for Einstein. Get out of your comfort zone for a while. You already have ties to ca so you can come back as long as you do well in med school. I think it's lame to live in one place your entire life. Everyone should experience living in another region of the country while they still have the opportunity. If you don't like it, 4 years in med school will go by fast anyways, before you know it, it'll be all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.