Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Hopefully I will be getting a call soon I interviewed on September 25. I'm getting nervous

Members don't see this ad.

OOS 3.4 gpa biology major 24 mcat good ECs , DO letter

Is it worth sending a secondary in?

They don't care so much about being IS/OOS - they care more if you are from the Appalachian region. Are you? If so, yes send the secondary in! If not, I would still say it's worth a shot maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I am interviewing on Monday. What can I expect in terms of hearing back? How long did it take? Thanks!

The next time the admissions committee meets, which I think is a couple times per month, you'll find out the same day or the day after via phone and email if you've been accepted. Everyone else is just emailed. I interviewed two weeks ago and today was the first time they'd met since then. They will let you know your date of notification on Monday.

Good luck! As everyone else has said, the interviews are very laid back and conversational. And the building is really beautiful, I think. It looks like a mini-castle.

Interviewed here on 10/9 and just got my acceptance today! :D
Love this school!

They don't care so much about being IS/OOS - they care more if you are from the Appalachian region. Are you? If so, yes send the secondary in! If not, I would still say it's worth a shot maybe.

Im from Delaware actually which is considered mid appalachian I think. IDK if that's a stretch haha.

Just got an II over the phone! Complete 10/3.

Chocolateislife, I'm glad I could help & glad you've decided to apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops guys! I just realized I posted in the Carolina's thread. I meant to post on Virginia campus!

I have a question... I don't know if any current students are on here, but I will give it a shot .. Where is a good place to bank in Spartanburg? Right now I bank at a NC credit union and will have to find some place new. Is there a bank that is convenient to school with good customer service (I don't like bofa for that reason). This might be a long shot post, but I appreciate any feedback :)

Does anyone know how strict they are with the 'you have to maintain b's or above in all your classes' thing?

Does anyone know how strict they are with the 'you have to maintain b's or above in all your classes' thing?

I just interviewed on Monday and Gail said that if you're having a problem or don't think you'll be able to maintain the grade, just call her/send and email and they may be able to work something out.

Really excited about this school! Interviewed last Wed, the # of interviewees was much lower than I was expecting. Do they interview a few times a week?

Just got an ii on Nov 6th!!! Super pumped! I'm a non-trad from New England so I figured I didn't have much chance! Can't wait!

I just interviewed on Monday and Gail said that if you're having a problem or don't think you'll be able to maintain the grade, just call her/send and email and they may be able to work something out.

Do you mean maintain B's in all undergraduate classes before starting medical school?

Do you mean maintain B's in all undergraduate classes before starting medical school?

Yeah. In the acceptance packet thing they send in the mail it states that you must get B's or above in all of your remaining classes. Not a big deal really, I mean if you have made it this far it shouldnt be a problem. I was just wondering if they would really revoke your acceptance if you got below a B.

Yeah. In the acceptance packet thing they send in the mail it states that you must get B's or above in all of your remaining classes. Not a big deal really, I mean if you have made it this far it shouldnt be a problem. I was just wondering if they would really revoke your acceptance if you got below a B.

They said it has happened in the past, but only once, and his grades were awful.

I am a current student class of 2017. My wife and I live in Spartanburg and bank with Carolina Foothills Federal Credit Union and have been very pleased with them. Friendly, accessible, and have great interest rates on their savings/credit accounts.

Any current students live in Greenville/Greer and make the commute everyday? If so, how is that?

Last edited:
Any current students live in Greenville and make the commute everyday? If so, how is that?

There are a few current students who commute to and from Greenville. Considering the time commitment school requires (particularly the clinical years), the commute is not insignificant (especially when there is an accident). It is doable however, if living in Greenville makes more sense for you. Another factor to consider is how willing/able you will be to come back to Spartanburg for any extracurricular or volunteer activities you'd be interested in.

does anyone know the board scores/pass rates yet?

So I decided to apply to this school. Do any of you know how late they interview into or whether or not I have a shot this late? 3.7/26 with exceptional ecs.

Withdrawing my acceptance (10/17). If anyone has questions about interview day, please message me since I won't be following this thread any longer. Best of luck, everyone!

I have a question for anyone who has interviewed here already. Is there an activity the night before the interview? I haven't received all of the details of my interview day yet and need to start making travel arrangements. I've seen other schools' threads where there is an informal "meet and greet" with students, usually the night before interview days. Does anyone know if VCOM does that or not?

I have a question for anyone who has interviewed here already. Is there an activity the night before the interview? I haven't received all of the details of my interview day yet and need to start making travel arrangements. I've seen other schools' threads where there is an informal "meet and greet" with students, usually the night before interview days. Does anyone know if VCOM does that or not?

No activity.

On another note, relinquishing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you hopefuls!

Does VCOM normally take long to send out secondaries? My primary was released a month ago, and the only thing I've received was a notification saying they got my primary. I have a 3.8, 27 9/9/9, but am not from the Appalachian region. Do they screen out people who are not from this region?

Does VCOM normally take long to send out secondaries? My primary was released a month ago, and the only thing I've received was a notification saying they got my primary. I have a 3.8, 27 9/9/9, but am not from the Appalachian region. Do they screen out people who are not from this region?
I got a secondary 2 weeks after primary was released, that was in early Sept so they might be busier right now due to volume of applications and processing interviewees. Also I am from Florida, so I would say no, they do not screen out for OOS.
Just be patient, the schools all progress on their own timelines which are never as fast as any applicant would like. If you don't hear anything in a week or so I would give them a call and inquire about your status. They seemed very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.
Good luck to you!

Just received a call! Accepted! So excited! :)

Reactions: 1 user
just kidding, got the same phone call :)

Received an acceptance phone call today as well!! Interviewed 10/21. Soo excited to go here!

Accepted yesterday!