Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a 2ndary from this school today but have not taken the mcat. Does anyone know if this is normal?

No, but run with it.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a 2ndary from this school today but have not taken the mcat. Does anyone know if this is normal?
How much time was there between when you received the e-mail stating your application was pending review to when you received the secondary?

How much time was there between when you received the e-mail stating your application was pending review to when you received the secondary?

Well I was verified like less than 2 days after the app started. If you're asking how long it was in between app released to the school and getting the secondary, I think not even 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would benefit me at all to send it without the mcat? I'm assuming I get no less than 24 on it.

Yes. Then call them when your mcat comes in. Actually, call them and let them know you're interested , and sending the secondary with MCAT to come whenever it is you're taking it.

Secondary received and submitted! Good luck everyone!!

secondary recieved!

Secondary submitted! Took a while, but I am so excited about this school.

How well is this school regarded? They are loosely affiliated with Virginia Tech? Or their school is on the VT campus?

How well is this school regarded? They are loosely affiliated with Virginia Tech? Or their school is on the VT campus?

This school is in South Carolina and VTech in Virginia

Now the wait begins:eek:

bear-sitting-picnic-table_large.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I am unsure if I will complete this secondary. I am not opposed to rural medicine as I was born and raised in a very rural part of the country, but regardless of what the secondary says, I believe if I state that I want to do anything other than rural, this will be held against me.

I'd rather not have to fake my way through this application because I might want to live and practice in a large metropolitan city one day.

I am unsure if I will complete this secondary. I am not opposed to rural medicine as I was born and raised in a very rural part of the country, but regardless of what the secondary says, I believe if I state that I want to do anything other than rural, this will be held against me.

I'd rather not have to fake my way through this application because I might want to live and practice in a large metropolitan city one day.

There's also an underserved and community mission as well. These two do not necessarily have to be rural, if you can portray giving back to the community or underserved populations. :)

Could you please post what the secondary questions are? Were they the same as last cycle?

Could you please post what the secondary questions are? Were they the same as last cycle?

Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

Thanks! Is there a character or word limit for them?

I'm getting nervous. On 7/2, I received the e-mail that stated my application was scheduled for review at some point in the next 2-3 weeks, but I haven't received a secondary yet when it seems like everyone else has.

I'm getting nervous. On 7/2, I received the e-mail that stated my application was scheduled for review at some point in the next 2-3 weeks, but I haven't received a secondary yet when it seems like everyone else has.

I got the "2-3 weeks" email June 26 and the secondary July 8. I wouldn't get too nervous.. you will probably get one next week.

It took me almost 6 weeks to get mine last year (I had <3.2 sGPA so I think that slowed it down). If you have lower stats maybe that's what the hold up is? But I wouldn't freak out after 2-3 weeks. And I ended up with an interview anyways, so don't be too worried that being slow to receive a secondary means they don't like you! :)

I was told that they're not going to review secondaries until August, so I wouldn't worry.

How long did it take yall's primary application to be processed by aacomas? Mine is taking longer than expected and I am starting to worry.

Does anybody know if the CC secondary is the same as the Virginia Campus secondary? Thanks!

got an email today saying my application is complete...said they are currently reviewing applications and that once they review the app they will notify me of my status. Also said that interview invites will be via phone.

got an email today saying my application is complete...said they are currently reviewing applications and that once they review the app they will notify me of my status. Also said that interview invites will be via phone.

+1!! C'mon VCOM!!

Same here..:thumbup:

I'd be wary of what VCOM is trying to sell you. They have some major faculty issues that they've decided not to address. The attrition rate for faculty since its opening has been shocking. They actually fired a Phys prof in the first month for complete incompetence. But they still kept him on staff because his wife (also a Phys prof) is bringing major stem cell research. None of the Phys teachers have any background in teaching the subject. We've had multiple teachers pass through. The class on average did horribly in Phys, which is a major component on boards.

Also, there is essentially no Path teaching. The initial prof was such an incredibly horrible lecturer that students demanded a change. We have SDLs (student directed learning), which means the teacher copies-and-pastes a document together on a particular pathology, we read it, then take an online quiz. Path is also a huge component on boards, so you're basically on your own to learn these subjects.

There doesn't seem to be much of an effort or desire to fix the problem. For Phys - no qualified faculty has been hired. In fact, a prof asked the Dean if she'd like his friend from USC Med to come up and provide Phys lectures. She responded by telling him that it'd give the impression that something was wrong?!? We had a USC prof come up one block and gave fantastic Path lectures, but VCOM told her that they were proceeding with SDLs only.

I realize a new school is going to have issues, but these problems are systemic in nature. If I had to do it over again I would have waited another year to apply to MD or gone to another DO school. I did really well on my boards, but I can't attribute that to anything VCOM did for me. I eventually put headphones on during class and studied on my own. It definitely was the right move.

Is anyone going to the VCOM open house in November?

Secondary Submitted :)

Do they have a deadline to when you can submit your secondary? I received mine on July 8th but I am just now starting to work on it. Some schools have a 30 day limit. Does this one?

I don't think so. You should be fine. It didn't specify more than this:

"Please be advised that we utilize a rolling admissions process. Thus, the sooner you complete your application, the sooner we will have the opportunity to review your credentials for an interview. The official deadline for the Secondary Application is Rolling but the class may be filled sooner than that so submit your materials early."

Are we supposes to receive a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I submitted last night and have not received anything.

My AACOMAS has been verified for a week and I have received secondaries from 5 of the 8 schools. I haven't heard from VCOM yet. Does anyone know how long it normally takes? Should I call admissions? Thanks!

My AACOMAS has been verified for a week and I have received secondaries from 5 of the 8 schools. I haven't heard from VCOM yet. Does anyone know how long it normally takes? Should I call admissions? Thanks!

No you shouldn't call admissions. VCOM definitely seems to be one of the slowest when it comes to secondaries. By the time mine finally came I didn't feel like filling it out, so they have been scratched.

Just got an early acceptance for the class of 2018! :) it's too bad I've already started at another school. Good luck to everyone this year!

Just got an early acceptance for the class of 2018! :) it's too bad I've already started at another school. Good luck to everyone this year!

Congratulations!! did you get interview?

Congratulations!! did you get interview?

I interviewed the first week of February for the class of 2017 and was placed on the waitlist. I think every year VCOM takes a certain amount of people from the previous cycle's waitlist and gives them early acceptances for the following year, so that's where I fell!

I interviewed the first week of February for the class of 2017 and was placed on the waitlist. I think every year VCOM takes a certain amount of people from the previous cycle's waitlist and gives them early acceptances for the following year, so that's where I fell!

Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere! Would you mind posting your stats and when you were complete at vcom-cc. I just got the complete email today and hoping to hear back soon!

How did you get the acceptance, email or snail mail? Did you get an email back in June telling you that you were guaranteed early acceptance or is this the first you're hearing of if? Are they asking for a deposit?

Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere! Would you mind posting your stats and when you were complete at vcom-cc. I just got the complete email today and hoping to hear back soon!

Thanks! I have a 3.3 cGPA/sGPA and a 28 MCAT. I turned in my primary the first day I could but for some reason didn't get the secondary until September, so I was complete sometime in mid-September. My sGPA at the time was <3.2 so that was probably why, and it's also why I didn't get an interview until late. I was put on pre-interview hold in January, then got an invite a couple weeks later. I guess I'm the perfect example of someone put on pre-interview hold at a school that actually was accepted to that school too! lol

How did you get the acceptance, email or snail mail? Did you get an email back in June telling you that you were guaranteed early acceptance or is this the first you're hearing of if? Are they asking for a deposit?

I received an email, but the email stated they were sending something in the mail too. I didn't receive anything since I was placed on the waitlist in late winter, so it was definitely a big surprise. I knew school started there already so I just assumed they forgot about me lol. They asked for a $1500 deposit by November.

I got a secondary! Does anyone know if they screen?

They do screen! Congrats :)

So I selected the Carolinas campus as my preference but I just got a complete e-mail from the Virginias campus. Did this happen to anyone?

So I selected the Carolinas campus as my preference but I just got a complete e-mail from the Virginias campus. Did this happen to anyone?

Yes, but mine was the other way around! haha