Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Crcprofessional it was great meeting you last week, I too had a great time at VCOM and looking forward to Thursday...will be in finals all day so that sux

Members don't see this ad.

A1b2c3d4 - I was complete on 11/6 and received interview invite on 11/12 for 12/3

Accepted today (12/13/12).
If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if the adcom will be meeting this Thursday, or did they already leave for holiday break?

Accepted last Thursday as well! Waiting to hear back from another interview I had yesterday before I make my final decision...

Looks like I will be putting down my deposit here. I've gotten 6 interview invites, but since this was my second acceptance and close to home, I think this would be the best choice so far. Unless I hear otherwise from another school. Anyone else put down their deposit here?

Looks like I will be putting down my deposit here. I've gotten 6 interview invites, but since this was my second acceptance and close to home, I think this would be the best choice so far. Unless I hear otherwise from another school. Anyone else put down their deposit here?

Yes! I did a while back (early November-ish). I'm very excited, this school seems amazing and the faculty/staff I met made me even more excited!

Also, I went to Greenville yesterday to check it out. It's a really neat downtown area, if anyone gets a chance to go there I highly recommend it.

Whatever decision you make on med school, it'll be a good one. Best of luck and (hopefully) see you in the fall!!

Yes! I did a while back (early November-ish). I'm very excited, this school seems amazing and the faculty/staff I met made me even more excited!

Also, I went to Greenville yesterday to check it out. It's a really neat downtown area, if anyone gets a chance to go there I highly recommend it.

Whatever decision you make on med school, it'll be a good one. Best of luck and (hopefully) see you in the fall!!

I did too! Back in November! Everyone just seems down to Earth so if y'all get the chance to be a part of VCOM, DO IT!

Yeah! Greenville is pretty cool! Did you go to the park? It's pretty awesome! I'll probably be visiting the park there when I feel like I'm drowning in my textbooks and notes :p

I did too! Back in November! Everyone just seems down to Earth so if y'all get the chance to be a part of VCOM, DO IT!

Yeah! Greenville is pretty cool! Did you go to the park? It's pretty awesome! I'll probably be visiting the park there when I feel like I'm drowning in my textbooks and notes :p
So, you both have put down your deposit? Sent mine in a couple of days ago...

Anyone know how full the class is at this point? (I realize that's a shot in the dark, but figured I should ask). Complete for 4 months with no word - sent in an update today. Hoping for the best! :xf:

So, you both have put down your deposit? Sent mine in a couple of days ago...

I did! Nice! See you in a few months!

Anyone know how full the class is at this point? (I realize that's a shot in the dark, but figured I should ask). Complete for 4 months with no word - sent in an update today. Hoping for the best! :xf:

No idea... But hopefully you get in!

Lived in Greenville for 4 years. One of my fav places.

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea... But hopefully you get in!

Thanks :) I guess my update had something to do with them looking at my app because I was placed on pre-interview hold today (le sigh). I know that's pretty much the kiss of death, but especially being put on that list this late in the game I'm definitely not too hopeful :(

I will be interviewing here in 2 weeks. Any interview advice you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated! Questions you were asked?

I will be interviewing here in 2 weeks. Any interview advice you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated! Questions you were asked?
Relax and come with good questions to ask the faculty and students there. You have lunch with 2 students and you want to make sure you learn as much as you can. I got asked the typical questions, some about my ECs, and one about healthcare (if you could change 3 things about our current healthcare). Definitely nothing too bad, although I was very nervous since this was my first one :)

Does anyone know if a facebook group for the incoming class has been started?

I interviewed Jan 9th. I was waiting to be called for my interview at KCUMB today, when I decided to turn my phone on and.. there it was.. that darn voicemail sign I have been waiting for. I heard it, but couldn't really express my opinions (like scream or something crazy) in a room full of interviewees :D:rolleyes:.. OMG i am so relieved, no more interviews (my cycle is over.. :naughty: ). Now if i get accepted to KCUMB. i have to decide between these two. I just loved VCOM and I am pretty darn positive I'll go there. .. I hope all yall feel the same in the upcoming weeks, enjoy everyone!!

I interviewed Jan 9th. I was waiting to be called for my interview at KCUMB today, when I decided to turn my phone on and.. there it was.. that darn voicemail sign I have been waiting for. I heard it, but couldn't really express my opinions (like scream or something crazy) in a room full of interviewees :D:rolleyes:.. OMG i am so relieved, no more interviews (my cycle is over.. :naughty: ). Now if i get accepted to KCUMB. i have to decide between these two. I just loved VCOM and I am pretty darn positive I'll go there. .. I hope all yall feel the same in the upcoming weeks, enjoy everyone!!
Congrats :)

To all those who wonder what your chances are of getting an II after being put on hold: it's totally possible!! Placed on hold 2 weeks ago after being complete for 4 months and just got my II today!! Woo!!! Super excited!!! :soexcited:

It seems like getting the interview is 80 percent of the battle. Just be yourself and have a good interview and that should take care of the rest. This is based off all the threads and posts I have been seeing.

It seems like getting the interview is 80 percent of the battle. Just be yourself and have a good interview and that should take care of the rest. This is based off all the threads and posts I have been seeing.

You could not be more correct!

And congrats, Dr. Meows!

Thank you Ziggstar and JuneBugg! I am really excited to check this place out :) Does anyone know what the acceptance rate post-interview is? I apologize if it's buried in this thread, I was planning on reading through it in the near future :)

I've heard there is an attendance policy and a dress code here. Can anyone comment on what specifically that is?

I've heard there is an attendance policy and a dress code here. Can anyone comment on what specifically that is?

In our interview, they told us that we had to dress 'business casual' to all classes, except for anatomy lab. Also, they have a camera that takes a picture of the class, about 5 minutes in, and again towards the end of class, and that is how attendance is taken. That way if you're late, you won't get counted absent. I think that means assigned seating, but I can't remember the specifics of it. I know it's different than probably what we're used to, but I'm ok with it because I think it sets a professional tone.

Wow I can't believe I remembered all of that haha

I just interviewed today at the carolinas campus. Everyone was very friendly and the interviews themselves were pretty laid back and conversational. We're supposed to hear a yay or nay next thursday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how many students have accepted a seat or how many have been offered one?

In our interview, they told us that we had to dress 'business casual' to all classes, except for anatomy lab. Also, they have a camera that takes a picture of the class, about 5 minutes in, and again towards the end of class, and that is how attendance is taken. That way if you're late, you won't get counted absent. I think that means assigned seating, but I can't remember the specifics of it. I know it's different than probably what we're used to, but I'm ok with it because I think it sets a professional tone.

Wow I can't believe I remembered all of that haha

Thanks for sharing! Interesting, definitely not what I'm used to. But not a deal breaker either.

Hey guys,

If anyone used the interfolio site to upload required letters, did you guys send them to the VA campus or does that really matter???

Thanks in advance!

Finally got the call today that I have been waiting forever on! :love: The feeling you get when you hear about your acceptance to your top school is indescribable. I fell in love with their missions and program when I went for my interview, and everybody was so helpful and nice. I wanna wish you guys good luck as well! Don't lose faith :thumbup:

Finally got the call today that I have been waiting forever on! :love: The feeling you get when you hear on your acceptance to the one and only school you applied to in hopes of getting in is indescribable. I fell in love with their missions and program when I went for my interview. I wanna wish you guys good luck as well! Don't lose faith :thumbup:

Congrats!! :) That's definitely gutsy to apply to only one school - but I'm glad it worked out for you! When did you interview and what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to gauge how much of a chance I have after my interview next week.

Finally got the call today that I have been waiting forever on! :love: The feeling you get when you hear about your acceptance to your top school is indescribable. I fell in love with their missions and program when I went for my interview, and everybody was so helpful and nice. I wanna wish you guys good luck as well! Don't lose faith :thumbup:
CONGRATS! It's a wonderful feeling :)

Ditto! Best. Feeling. Ever!

Definitely fell in love with VCOM when I interviewed! And even more once I got accepted!
:love:

Finally!! interview is granted for 2/11!

Can anyone tell me what the "presentation" is about on the itinerary??

Thanks!

I am trying to lgin to do my secondary and it is not letting me. Anyone have this problem? I put in my email in ID field and my aacomas id 2013 in the other field with no space or hypen and it keeps saying incorrect.

Finally!! interview is granted for 2/11!

Can anyone tell me what the "presentation" is about on the itinerary??

Thanks!

The presentation is just an overview of VCOM, the history, aspects of the school, Spartanburg etc. I actually learned a lot and was really impressed!

Accepted VCOM-CC Class of 2017!

What are the chances of me getting an ii here? I recently received a secondary and submitted a few days ago. Stats:

3.85 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
22 MCAT (8 PS, 7 VR, 7 BS)
Hospital work and volunteer experience (2000+ hrs)
Solid DO shadowing

Thanks.

I know someone (we're very close) that got in with a 23 and 3.9. I hope that helps.

The problem is you're very late in the game... that might change your chances.

I submitted my primary in July, received and submitted my secondary in November, and now anxiously waiting for something.

I submitted my primary in July, received and submitted my secondary in November, and now anxiously waiting for something.

Don't give up hope! My secondary was marked complete in September and I didn't get an II until 2 weeks ago. Keep the faith :)

Don't give up hope! My secondary was marked complete in September and I didn't get an II until 2 weeks ago. Keep the faith :)

Thank you, I definitely will. I hope you do great in your interview.

Thank you, I definitely will. I hope you do great in your interview.

Thanks! I actually already had it and I'm waiting for my response now. Couldn't have loved the school more! :)

Does VCOM accept MD letters of rec? Just wondering if any exceptions have been made regarding that or if you never shadowed a D.O. you can not apply to this school.

Does VCOM accept MD letters of rec? Just wondering if any exceptions have been made regarding that or if you never shadowed a D.O. you can not apply to this school.

No, you need a LOR from a DO. I would contact the school to make sure exceptions can't be made, but I'm pretty positive. That being said, just take a couple days to shadow a DO if you need one. Shouldn't be too difficult!

yeah unfortunately, VCOM is one of the few that ACTUALLY requires a DO letter. Just do what my friend did; get your yellowbook, call EVERY SINGLE DO doctor until one agrees to take you as a volunteer and to write a rec letter prior to starting. This sounds somewhat ridiculous but it worked for my buddy and he got into VCOM Blackburg.