Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI interview invites are going to start going out this week, according to their office.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI interview invites are going to start going out this week, according to their office.

Annnnnnd my stomach just dropped.

The sad part? My pessimistic side is already preparing to never hear from them just because they are my first choice.:rolleyes:

Annnnnnd my stomach just dropped.

The sad part? My pessimistic side is already preparing to never hear from them just because they are my first choice.:rolleyes:

I know, right? I'm getting a lot of midwest love, but the school that is an hour and a half away probably won't even offer an interview. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, right? I'm getting a lot of midwest love, but the school that is an hour and a half away probably won't even offer an interview. :rolleyes:

The good news is that your stats look stellar (yep, I'm a creepy lurker ;)) so I can't imagine that they will pass on you.

The good news is that your stats look stellar (yep, I'm a creepy lurker ;)) so I can't imagine that they will pass on you.

The magic of grade replacement! (and an extra year of science, to fix a woeful 2.7 sGPA) I wouldn't have a snowball's chance for an MD, so it's a good thing I have just about 0% interest in it. Osteo 4everz.

No, seriously. I think osteo schools are really looking for good doctors, so while stats get you in the door, it's the personality that gets you the spot. I'm not familiar with your stats, but if you can get in the door and you have much love for rural/family practice, VCOM will definitely give you a shot. The students there are stellar, but if you say 'MCAT' in the halls, you'll get some serious glares and angry ranting. Not everyone there was an amazing applicant, but I think most will be amazing doctors. My two cents, for what it's worth. :D

The magic of grade replacement! (and an extra year of science, to fix a woeful 2.7 sGPA) I wouldn't have a snowball's chance for an MD, so it's a good thing I have just about 0% interest in it. Osteo 4everz.

No, seriously. I think osteo schools are really looking for good doctors, so while stats get you in the door, it's the personality that gets you the spot. I'm not familiar with your stats, but if you can get in the door and you have much love for rural/family practice, VCOM will definitely give you a shot. The students there are stellar, but if you say 'MCAT' in the halls, you'll get some serious glares and angry ranting. Not everyone there was an amazing applicant, but I think most will be amazing doctors. My two cents, for what it's worth. :D

I totally agree with you. I wasn't even considering this school until a couple of their students came to my school to give a presentation about VCOM. They were some amazing people and I was so impressed with them!

The trick is getting in the door! I met with Mattie Bendall (now with CUSOM) last year and took a tour of the new building. It's beautiful!

My stats are (copied straight from the UD thread):

Overall stats - SCI: 3.11, TOT: 3.2

Grad School - SCI: 3.49, TOT: 3.49

MCAT - 25S / 27S (if using composite of highest)

EC
-Have B.S. in Biology (2004) and M.S. in Environmental Studies (2008)
-Committee Member for Two Graduate Student's Research (250 hours)
-Neural Tube Defect Research (20 hours)
-Creator of Cervical Cancer Website (700 hours over 3 years)
-Teen Clinic Volunteer (50 hours)
-Bird Banding (100 hours over 2 years)
-National Park Service Volunteer (1600 hours over 2 years - thesis work)
-First Responder (1000 hours over 3 years)

I'm older (just turned 30) and am applying in the south (VCOM-CC, PCOM in GA and Campbell in NC).

I guess we wait...

The trick is getting in the door! I met with Mattie Bendall (now with CUSOM) last year and took a tour of the new building. It's beautiful!

My stats are (copied straight from the UD thread):

Overall stats - SCI: 3.11, TOT: 3.2

Grad School - SCI: 3.49, TOT: 3.49

MCAT - 25S / 27S (if using composite of highest)

EC
-Have B.S. in Biology (2004) and M.S. in Environmental Studies (2008)
-Committee Member for Two Graduate Student's Research (250 hours)
-Neural Tube Defect Research (20 hours)
-Creator of Cervical Cancer Website (700 hours over 3 years)
-Teen Clinic Volunteer (50 hours)
-Bird Banding (100 hours over 2 years)
-National Park Service Volunteer (1600 hours over 2 years - thesis work)
-First Responder (1000 hours over 3 years)

I'm older (just turned 30) and am applying in the south (VCOM-CC, PCOM in GA and Campbell in NC).

I guess we wait...

I love Mattie- I was so ticked when she left! I spent two years getting on her good side.. :laugh:

VCOM uses composite MCAT, so you should feel good about that. They also like non-trads and first responder/EMT experience. It will definitely help compensate some for the undergrad gpa. Good luck this cycle!

I love Mattie- I was so ticked when she left! I spent two years getting on her good side.. :laugh:

VCOM uses composite MCAT, so you should feel good about that. They also like non-trads and first responder/EMT experience. It will definitely help compensate some for the undergrad gpa. Good luck this cycle!

I said the same thing when I noticed that she left!

Thanks and you too. Let's hope we hear something soon~

Composite, really? For both VCOM campuses, or only CC?

If this is true i'm super pumped because my MCAT is considered even higher! :love: C'mon VCOM! :xf:

If this is true i'm super pumped because my MCAT is considered even higher! :love: C'mon VCOM! :xf:

A first year at CC told me his was composite in the interview, so hopefully it hasn't changed since last cycle. All applications are reviewed at VCOM-VC first, so I think it's both campuses.

A first year at CC told me his was composite in the interview, so hopefully it hasn't changed since last cycle. All applications are reviewed at VCOM-VC first, so I think it's both campuses.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you're right :) :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if the II will be a call or an email? and I have also been complete for two weeks but did not receive a complete email from them.

I've been told that it will be a call.

Confirmed- II today to interview on 9/19!!! :D

Congrats! Do you think the invites are only going out for Carolina campus or also from Virginia?

I really like VCOM but I hope they start sending invites soon because I can only afford a few interviews and I have trouble passing up those that have come first. Hopefully they are ready to roll in Virginia!

It is guaranteed that early acceptance gets an interview, correct? I think I remember them saying that and I have done all my stuff, just waiting now! I hope Virginias campus is doing there stuff this week. I am so anxious to hear, I am at work and feel sick since I saw the reply that someone got their interview today. Come on VCOM don't fail me now! And congrats on the interview! Hope to be classmates :p

Congrats! Do you think the invites are only going out for Carolina campus or also from Virginia?

I really like VCOM but I hope they start sending invites soon because I can only afford a few interviews and I have trouble passing up those that have come first. Hopefully they are ready to roll in Virginia!

I pestered them, so I think it made them pull up my application. My 'application complete' email said that only early decision people are being interviewed in September, but I'm not early decision, so I guess that isn't a hard and fast rule. Don't fret if you don't get one soon- it looks like regular interviews start in October. I'd think Virginia campus would send out invites first, since they pre-screen there... :confused:

But I would call and express interest. They're great there, and they want students who want to be there.

secondary invite today ...Hoping I can be complete by Tuesday if I submit it this weekend !

secondary invite today ...Hoping I can be complete by Tuesday if I submit it this weekend !

I submitted weeks ago and I'm still not complete :(

Guess that means I should probably give them a call lol

I submitted weeks ago and I'm still not complete :(

Guess that means I should probably give them a call lol

I never officially got the complete either. I emailed them and they told me I was. Great office staff, don't be afraid to call in. I actually think they like it.

Have a feeling some invites will go out this week. Hope Im in that lucky group!

wrong thread

I hope this is the week for interview invites. I hope that every week though...

Interview invite for 09/26!!!!

I can't stand the wait :)!

Congrats BrittanieY!

Is it for the VA or SC campus? And if you don't mind me asking, what dates did they offer you to choose from?

Congrats BrittanieY!

Is it for the VA or SC campus? And if you don't mind me asking, what dates did they offer you to choose from?

Thank you!

It is for the Carolina campus and I jumped on the first date they gave me so I have no idea on any other dates.

I know that when I called last week to ask about interviews, I was told that there would only be two dates in September (19th and 26th) and several dates in October.

Those of you getting interview invites, when were you complete?

Those of you getting interview invites, when were you complete?

I emailed the Virginia campus three weeks ago to ask about my status and they said I was complete.

Then I called the Carolina campus last week and my secondary still wasn't to them yet. She called up there on Thursday and un-stuck whatever the issue was and I got the official complete email last Friday.

So either three weeks ago or four days ago :laugh:.

I emailed the Virginia campus three weeks ago to ask about my status and they said I was complete.

Then I called the Carolina campus last week and my secondary still wasn't to them yet. She called up there on Thursday and un-stuck whatever the issue was and I got the official complete email last Friday.

So either three weeks ago or four days ago :laugh:.

Interesting. I guess I will call next week to make sure they have my secondary! Congrats though and goodluck ! Keeping my fingers crossed ( we have similar stats)

I have an interview for the 26th! Officially complete (with all LORs) Sept. 6th and received a call Sept. 12th for the interview! Stats: 3.9 GPA and 24P MCAT! Hope this helps!

Interesting. I guess I will call next week to make sure they have my secondary! Congrats though and goodluck ! Keeping my fingers crossed ( we have similar stats)

Definitely call and check up on it. After we figured out the issue with my secondary, it was a short wait.

Good luck!!

just got the complete email praying I get awesome news in two weeks !

Interview invite yesterday for Oct 9. 3.1 cGPA, 4.0 postbac, 32P nontrad applicant.

Interviewed yesterday so hoping something happens. Great MCAT score by the way! Mine is not nearly that good, but hope that my great GPA and extracurriculars are going to help me out. We will see!

Goodluck today ! Im really hoping for some love from here. ahh te wait is killing me

Goodluck to everyone.

Anyone mind sharing their interview experience and general tips

Thanks

Finally got my complete email today :D here's hoping for some good news in the future! :xf:

Just remember stuff on your essays! The clinician will hammer you really hard and both of them, atleast the ones that our group had were very hard to read. I still feel very iffy because I didn't know how they would respond to my answers. I even got thrown off because the clinician mentioned all my work experience, BUT my current job which I had to explain about. They really hammer you hard about certain aspects. But beyond that, have fun :p

I just hope I get good news this weekend and goodluck with everyone else! I just want my acceptance (Which they said should come this weekend). Ill keep praying!

Just remember stuff on your essays! The clinician will hammer you really hard and both of them, atleast the ones that our group had were very hard to read. I still feel very iffy because I didn't know how they would respond to my answers. I even got thrown off because the clinician mentioned all my work experience, BUT my current job which I had to explain about. They really hammer you hard about certain aspects. But beyond that, have fun :p

I just hope I get good news this weekend and goodluck with everyone else! I just want my acceptance (Which they said should come this weekend). Ill keep praying!

yikes. I hope you get great news this weekend ! I know the committee meets Wednesday so hopefully you get the call ! I will keep you in my prayers!

So, the interview was really not what I was expecting. It was a small group of candidates, and they put us all in a conference room together. We had the opening remarks and introduction (icebreakers- some really interesting people applied!), then half of us went to the one on one interviews and half stayed for the presentation. The presentation felt more like a sales pitch- the staff were really great at making everyone feel welcome.

I sat through the presentation first, then the one on one interviews. I interviewed with a clinician first, and it was more conversational. A couple of situational/ethics questions, but I don't think I ever got to finish an answer. I'd start and he'd cut me off with "That's a really interesting point, and I just want you to start thinking about it." When I brought up my grades and discrepancies (that the admissions staff specifically told us to mention, if they were there), he dismissed my concerns and told me it wasn't a big deal. I worked through school, and I think he valued the real life and work experience above academics. My stats are above average (on the whole- but I do have quite a few C's on the transcript) for the school, so that might have had something to do with it to.

So the dynamic was a bit weird. My science faculty interview was even weirder- she asked me two questions and then spent the next twenty minutes talking about VCOM's expansion plans and why the school was amazing. I was really impressed, but I kept feeling like I was the one interviewing her. I also felt awkward agreeing with some of the things she said, because she took a few controversial stances on the expansion of osteopathic medicine. It was hard to gauge how well I did in her interview. The clinician said he was impressed, but she was very hard to read.

We went on a tour of the school and had lunch with two current OMS1's, went on a tour of Spartanburg and Wofford college, and then came back for student interviews. This was my easiest and most comfortable interview. I really feel like I was able to convey my ambitions for applying to the school, and show that my experience had adequately prepared me for knowing what I was getting in to. I was able to tie in my experiences to some hard ethics questions, which was great. It helps that I got paired with a non-trad who had similar experiences and was from the same area, so I got really lucky. I don't think I would have had the same result with a student who came straight from undergrad.

Overall, I can't stress enough to just be yourself. Everything was very laid back, and they joked and laughed with us the whole time. It was their first interview group, so I'm pretty sure they were still figuring things out as well. We'll know after next Thursday's interview group is done whether or not they are going to accept us. The school is absolutely amazing, the people are friendly and supportive, and the curriculum and board pass rates are solid. For a new school, they really have their ducks in a row and have well-thought out plans for long-term sustainability. I think this puts them head and shoulder above a lot of schools, and I would be very happy going here.