EC’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSilentKnight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I may have the opportunity to work as an autopsy attendant. Working directly under a pathologist and it is very hands on and a great opportunity.

Took a certificate that has a histology course that allows me to work in a histology department as a medical lab assistant. Although i will be certified as a medical lab assistant (phlebotomy, ECG’s, lab work), do you guys think that working as a autopsy attendant will be a better experience? My instructor mentioned that I should do this as it looks great when applying to med schools.

Let me know

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly looks good that you've had exposure to pathology and gross anatomy along with histology So I'd agree that it does look good as an experience for medicine..

However, in Canada GPA is king. Both ECs would work well in my opinion.

It certainly looks good that you've had exposure to pathology and gross anatomy along with histology So I'd agree that it does look good as an experience for medicine..

However, in Canada GPA is king. Both ECs would work well in my opinion.

Good to know.

I’m in a program in BC that has joint agreements with ubc and u of c. I’ll be applying to Ontario schools as well.

Both are solid ECs, but one does not outweigh the other? I feel as if they’re both strong and I should consider going for whatever it is that I am passionate/interested in - which is the autopsy attendant. I find this work fascinating and to be able to work under a master is fantastic for my undergrad experience.

Let me know..!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's unlikely to make a difference - take the job you're interested in!

no difference! do the one that will drive you tolearn more. Canada doesn't care that much. Don't stress.

no difference! do the one that will drive you tolearn more. Canada doesn't care that much. Don't stress.

I mean, Canada doesn’t care that much but the odds of being rejected are realistic. I’m a competitive person and I’ve always been - I wonder what the number of eligible applicants are with enough, and relevant volunteer experience, and enough clinical hands on experience working with patients etc..

From my understanding, speaking to people who have applied to Canadian med schools is that - people simply do not thrive and go the extra mile to stand out. Like go fire fightomg in the summertime, an act of community service, but I know a few students who worked a mill, or summer camps etc throughout their undergrad.

They simply do not go the extra mile and leave the open spots for those that push themselves.

I mean, Canada doesn’t care that much but the odds of being rejected are realistic. I’m a competitive person and I’ve always been - I wonder what the number of eligible applicants are with enough, and relevant volunteer experience, and enough clinical hands on experience working with patients etc..

From my understanding, speaking to people who have applied to Canadian med schools is that - people simply do not thrive and go the extra mile to stand out. Like go fire fightomg in the summertime, an act of community service, but I know a few students who worked a mill, or summer camps etc throughout their undergrad.

They simply do not go the extra mile and leave the open spots for those that push themselves.

That's one way to view it. It certainly does look well to do ECs. I encourage you to do that regardless, not just for professional benefit. I wanted to emphasize that you should do things that impassion you. Those are the experiences you do well in.

Canada cares less than US schools but they still care somewhat. I wanted to point out that you shouldn't kill yourself with this decision if you're aiming to please Canadian medical schools. The challenge should be which experience would suit you best.

That's one way to view it. It certainly does look well to do ECs. I encourage you to do that regardless, not just for professional benefit. I wanted to emphasize that you should do things that impassion you. Those are the experiences you do well in.

Canada cares less than US schools but they still care somewhat. I wanted to point out that you shouldn't kill yourself with this decision if you're aiming to please Canadian medical schools. The challenge should be which experience would suit you best.

Are you a medical student/resident/practicing physician?