IMG with ECFMG certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WolfpackSV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a question I am From El Salvador, and i want to apply to CARMS but i dont know if USMLE counts for IMG`s. I am ECFMG certified (Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS) and i am planning to immigrate to Canada what would be the best approach? 1. should i apply for Canadian Residency first or is there a province where i can apply to CARMS beign a foreigner? 2. Can i apply now to CARMS? 3. Does USMLE counts as MCCEE? 4. What steps do i need to take? Thanks in advance you can see how lost i am lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys i have a question I am From El Salvador, and i want to apply to CARMS but i dont know if USMLE counts for IMG`s. I am ECFMG certified (Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS) and i am planning to immigrate to Canada what would be the best approach? 1. should i apply for Canadian Residency first or is there a province where i can apply to CARMS beign a foreigner? 2. Can i apply now to CARMS? 3. Does USMLE counts as MCCEE? 4. What steps do i need to take? Thanks in advance you can see how lost i am lol

You need to be a Canadian citizen / permanent resident to apply to CaRMS.

Then, you need to have gotten your MD from a medical school listed with the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) published by the Foundation for the Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER).

If you graduated from a US allopathic school, then you don't need to write the MCCEE (you will need to write the LMCC Part I and II during residency). If you didn't graduate from a US allopathic school, then you will need to write the MCCEE (and the Part I and II during residency). The USMLEs don't substitute. You can (and should) write the MCCEE as soon as possible, since to apply to the 2013 match you need to have written the MCCEE in 2012.

Note that if you graduated from a US allopathic (or ostepathic) school you are not considered an IMG; if you graduated from a non-LCME school you are an IMG. Note that the IMG spots in CaRMS are limited and competition is fierce; there is a ROS contract attached to most IMG spots, as well.

All details are available on the CaRMS website: carms.ca

Thanks Giemsa for your help
i am thinking in immigrating to Canada
i am from Latin America, Not US graduate
i am applying for the US match this year
but evry year is getting tougher, so i want to have some back up plans
can you work in something related to Medicine with the US steps once you are
Resident?
Do you know which step is the equivalent to MCCEE?
Can i apply as a foreigner ?
or just residentsa and citizens?
thanks in advance