Eastern Virginia Med Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thediamondmaker said:
Let's get a feel for the class thus far. Is anyone here leaning towards a particular area of medicine? There will be plenty of time to choose as you gain more exposure during med school, but I am curious if many of you have put much thought into it yet...

As for myself, I may have mentioned before that I am all about surgery, particularly ortho, ENT, and facial plastics.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

TheDiamondMaker

I'm thinkin surgery, ortho as well, My father is one and it seems pretty cool.

Also, I am interested in peds.

Members don't see this ad.

delete

Last edited:
thediamondmaker said:
Let's get a feel for the class thus far. Is anyone here leaning towards a particular area of medicine? There will be plenty of time to choose as you gain more exposure during med school, but I am curious if many of you have put much thought into it yet...

As for myself, I may have mentioned before that I am all about surgery, particularly ortho, ENT, and facial plastics.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

TheDiamondMaker

Right now I'm leaning toward ER or internal medicine. But it can definitely change

Members don't see this ad :)
delete

Last edited:
Ketzela,

I grew up in Great Bridge and lived in a neighborhood at the intersection of Mt. Pleasant Road and Caravelle Road. This area is safe, but also very suburban. The crime is low and the schools are good. You would probably need to check to see if apartments near the Greenbrier mall are in the Great Bridge School system. Probably more like Oscar Smith or Indian River. There are not too many apartment complexes in Great Bridge, but those near the Greenbrier mall are nice. My wife and I will probably be living at the Cedars.

Hope that helps.

ketzela said:
Hey Sparky,

I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I read some of your posts about living in the Chesapeake areas. I will probably live in Ghent, but my mother and 10 year old brother are on their own and they are planning on moving down to the Hampton Roads area to stay near me. It sounds like the Greenbrier and Great Bridge areas you mentioned would be good for them. They would be looking for a 2BR apartment. How are the schools in that area (for a 10 yr old entering 5th grade)? Safety? Are there plenty of other good families around?

Thanks!
Ketzela

ketzela said:
Are there any other ladies writing in this thread?? ;)

I am most likely going to go the primary care route, which I think is pretty typical of EVMS students. Once upon a time I wanted trauma surgery, but that was many moons ago! We shall see...I am split between internal or family medicine and peds, but anything could happen. Thats what rotations are for!!

Ladies? :confused:

In that case, I better tell my fiancee that we are going to need to adopt if we want kids.

ketzela said:
Are there any other ladies writing in this thread?? ;)

I think we may be the only two! :p

As for specialties, I am interested in emergency medicine right now, I run with the local rescue squad and have gotten a lot out of it. Recently I have been toying with the idea of pursuing neurology. Or neurosurgery. The brain is so fascinating.

But in the end I think I will have to go with emergency medicine. I just need a lot going on, and I think neurology will be too sedate.

Depakote has a specialty choice flowchart that is hilarious... and useful. You should ask him to PM it you.

Can anybody suggest an email address to send a LOI to?

I was waitlisted way back in January (which was a nice birthday present) and was told that I was in the bottom third. Therefore, I wasn't too enthusiastic about my chances and have only sent some updated LORs since then. Does anyone think it's even worth sending a LOI at this point?

Thanks for the help and input.

delete

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
Thanks for the great information!

ketzela said:
The short answer is YES!!! Dean Solhaug reads his email, and it matters. Send him an email and CC Karen so it goes in your file. Tell them why you want to go to EVMS specifically, and then call his secretary Angelina and set up an appointment to talk with him (on the phone or in person). I have done all of the above and more. I made sure everyone in the office knew me by name! [email protected] [email protected] and Angelina's number is 757-446-5827. They will be pulling from the waitlist until August 14th and they usually send out acceptances to some 140 waitlisted people!! So, don't give up yet...

ketzela said:
I am most likely going to go the primary care route, which I think is pretty typical of EVMS students. Once upon a time I wanted trauma surgery, but that was many moons ago! We shall see...I am split between internal or family medicine and peds, but anything could happen. Thats what rotations are for!!
I am also mainly interested in primary care, internal medicine and peds. But I don't want to rule out some of the specialties, PM&R, and a few others. And as ketzela says, anything could happen and that's what rotations are for.

And good luck singh0113 getting in your LOI. I would definitely send it and best of luck! :luck:

ghostchild said:
And good luck singh0113 getting in your LOI. I would definitely send it and best of luck! :luck:

yea good luck I would love for you to join us :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone for their well wishes! :D

Does EVMS require a certain laptop with specific specifications, or will any computer do?

yoyo13 said:
Does EVMS require a certain laptop with specific specifications, or will any computer do?
Hi Yoyo, I asked the same question earlier and was told that any computer will do. Just make sure it will do powerpoint and word, and that it will keep you happy (and let you watch the increasing list of movies and tv shows that we are putting together on the "Shooting the Breeze" thread). Here's a bit of advice: if you want to wrap the cost of the laptop into your student loans, wait until August 16 to purchase it. After that time, the school will cover a one-time laptop purchase, for up to $2200. You can submit the receipt along with a "student request for budget increase" form to the financial aid office and they will cut you a check for it and put it towards your student loans.

Here's a bit of advice: if you want to wrap the cost of the laptop into your student loans, wait until August 16 to purchase it. After that time, the school will cover a one-time laptop purchase, for up to $2200. You can submit the receipt along with a "student request for budget increase" form to the financial aid office and they will cut you a check for it and put it towards your student loans.[/QUOTE]

Does that work for med masters student as well, cause as of right now that is my status (I am on the waitlist for the med school though too)
Thanks

yoyo13 said:
Does that work for med masters student as well, cause as of right now that is my status (I am on the waitlist for the med school though too)
Thanks

Probably, but you should call the financial aid office and verify.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?

kevin_md2010 said:
Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?
Michelle just told me she is waiting to get the new adjusted tuition/student budget info from the powers that be and that she can't put together the packages until then. You are looking at mid-June at the earliest.

Don't Panic said:
I think we may be the only two! :p

Nope! I'm here too...but I've been so busy between preparing to leave the country and hurriedly finishing as much paperwork as possible for EVMS that I haven't had the chance to post much.

As for specialties, I must admit that I am interested in primary care as well, however, I've long been attracted to a specialty in infectious disease.

Well, I'm headed to Norfolk tonight to go house hunting. I have vowed not to leave without purchasing a home. [I am shaking my fist at the heavens while I say this].

thediamondmaker said:
Well, I'm headed to Norfolk tonight to go house hunting. I have vowed not to leave without purchasing a home. [I am shaking my fist at the heavens while I say this].

Good luck.

Well, I think I'm gonna hold off the EVMS class threads for a bit.

Without an acceptance, they're just driving the stress level up.

I'll let you know when I've got good news.

thediamondmaker said:

Good luck! I was fortunate enough to find the perfect place less than 300 feet from Lewis Hall, so, it can happen. Unfortunately (for me) though, my roommate has gotten accepted off the waitlist at Temple and I have to find someone else.

But on the up side, Depakote, another space has opened up in our class even as I type this! :)

thediamondmaker said:

shake harder boy!!!

If you get a house in portsmouth you'll have to deal with the tunnel, but on the up side we could carpool :)

You know I am freakin' tired of waiting for these financial aid packages.

Also, I have enjoyed my time off from grad school, now let the games begin! People keep telling me to enjoy the summer off, but I am bored!

I am doing some part-time work to pass the time, going on vacation later this month (to VA Beach, coincidentally), then moving to VA around mid-July.

What are you guys doing with your free time?

sparkyur said:

Also, I have enjoyed my time off from grad school, now let the games begin! People keep telling me to enjoy the summer off, but I am bored!

I am doing some part-time work to pass the time, going on vacation later this month (to VA Beach, coincidentally), then moving to VA around mid-July.

Tying the Knot :thumbup:

sparkyur said:

I'm bored too, I can't wait for school to start. And I too am tired of waiting for the financial aid packages.

Yes, a financial aid package would be nice. If anyone gets one, be sure to post so I can run to the post office twice a day until mine comes in!! But for now I am trying to enjoy the summer and time around the family until August comes and I'm all alone :(

But I am looking forward to it! :D DP, where'd you find a place so close and are they renting any other rooms out? :laugh: Woe is me, I do need to start the housing hunt for real! :eek:

ghostchild said:
DP, where'd you find a place so close and are they renting any other rooms out? :laugh: Woe is me, I do need to start the housing hunt for real! :eek:

This place is so close I think God was personally involved in helping me get it. And I did ask about potential other units for y'all!! But unfortunately this was the only one in this (tiny) complex. I got it with Cooke and Neff, who were very helpful (thanks sparky! :) )

I agree that waiting for school is hard. I'm planning to go visit my sister in Brooklyn for a week sometime this summer and move over to Norfolk in a few weeks. My lease starts... well, yesterday, now that I think about it, so I will be there SO early. I don't know what I will do with myself. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm also a new addition to the 2010 class (received admission last week). I'm going to echo the requests of other posters for housing info. What is a good location to look in that is within walking distace? Is it still possible to find good housing at this time? Is/Has anyone looked into purchasing a place isntead of renting? Is it preferrable to rent? Sorry for all the questions!

I spent the weekend house-hunting in Norfolk. It was pretty intense, since I had less than 2 days to find and purchase a house. I found a decent place about a 10 minute drive from campus. I firmly believe that it is a much better deal to purchase a home rather than rent, if you are in the position to do so. You will spend a little more in the monthly expenditures, but you will capture more than the difference in monthly payments by amortization of your loan, plus all appreciation, when you sell it after school is finished. If anyone wants a stellar real estate agent who really hustles, PM me and I'll give you the contact info for my guy - he was awesome, especially if you are moving from out of state like me and need someone to do more legwork for you.

EVMS campus looked beautiful, the flowers were in bloom and they do a nice job with the grounds. I'm getting really excited to start! I'll move in the 3rd week of July. All of us who are showing up early should have a get-together - maybe a pre-school meet and greet.

thediamondmaker said:
I spent the weekend house-hunting in Norfolk. It was pretty intense, since I had less than 2 days to find and purchase a house. I found a decent place about a 10 minute drive from campus. I firmly believe that it is a much better deal to purchase a home rather than rent, if you are in the position to do so. You will spend a little more in the monthly expenditures, but you will capture more than the difference in monthly payments by amortization of your loan, plus all appreciation, when you sell it after school is finished. If anyone wants a stellar real estate agent who really hustles, PM me and I'll give you the contact info for my guy - he was awesome, especially if you are moving from out of state like me and need someone to do more legwork for you.

EVMS campus looked beautiful, the flowers were in bloom and they do a nice job with the grounds. I'm getting really excited to start! I'll move in the 3rd week of July. All of us who are showing up early should have a get-together - maybe a pre-school meet and greet.

totally agree about buying vs renting. Living in an apartment is like throwing money away. If you can afford to buy then you should buy.

I'm moving in on the 4th week in july, and I would love to get together with any/all of you guys and gals :)

thediamondmaker said:

Thanks for the info! Definitely helpful. For those who are or did buy a place, what type of place (e.g. condo) did you purchase and are you happy with its location?

NPRjunkie said:
Thanks for the info! Definitely helpful. For those who are or did buy a place, what type of place (e.g. condo) did you purchase and are you happy with its location?

I bought a house about 15 min away in portsmouth. It's a little farther than I would prefer, but houses are much cheaper there. All in all i am happy with it.

hey everybody. just wanted to say good luck to all of you next year as i will not be joining you...yet. i have decided to defer a year and start in 2011. ill prob. be checking in from time to time to see how things are going. anyways, good luck, have fun, study hard, and ill see ya when i see ya. later.

Gray

sparkyur said:

no offense but it seems your impatience is misplaced. You're tired of waiting for a financial aid package?? think about the waitlisted who havent even heard if they've gotten into the program! All they know is that they are in some 'third' .....

kylahs said:
no offense but it seems your impatience is misplaced. You're tired of waiting for a financial aid package?? think about the waitlisted who havent even heard if they've gotten into the program! All they know is that they are in some 'third' .....

To be fair. He's posting in the thread for people already accepted... He should be worrying about financial aid.

As one of the people in the "thirds" I don't have a problem with him wanting to get his finances in order.

Depakote said:
To be fair. He's posting in the thread for people already accepted... He should be worrying about financial aid.

As one of the people in the "thirds" I don't have a problem with him wanting to get his finances in order.

i just think he has to put things into perspective. He's broken through the biggest barrier to becoming a doctor, namely, admissions to med school. He should just sit back, relax, and try to enjoy the summer. He's gonna be a doctor and nothing's gonna change that -- not even a late financial aid package.

to be clear, Im not saying he shouldnt talk about financial aid (this is indeed the right spot to discuss it). Im just saying he shouldnt be worried or "freakin' tired of waiting."

delete

Last edited:
ketzela said:
Hey... I had a roommate and we were all set to find a place together this weekend. But then she got into Albany! So now I am out a roommate, but I am coming down to Norfolk next weekend on my own. Are you still looking for a roommate? If so, go ahead and PM me PLEASE!!

-Ketzela

sinapse.evms.edu has several posts looking for roommates. Also, if any one of you has a house/condo and needs a roommate, u can pm me and/or post on sdn and i'll place an ad there 4 u

Are any of you guys considering research during med school? I am; perhaps in peds.

I did see something cool for those interested in opthamology; it was a "medical student fellowship." You start the summer between MSI and II, then continue it during the clinical years . I assume that during the clinical years the research is throughout the two years.

Anyway, just looking on the internet for strange things with my free time.
Did you know that Kris Kristoferson (sp?) of "Blade" fame was formerly an Army Ranger?
or that Denis Franz from NYPD Blue was a two-tour soldier with the 82nd and 101st Airborne during Vietnam?
or that Angie Harmon and Stephanie March of Law & Order went to high school together separated by two years.

sparkyur said:
Are any of you guys considering research during med school? I am; perhaps in peds.

I did see something cool for those interested in opthamology; it was a "medical student fellowship." You start the summer between MSI and II, then continue it during the clinical years . I assume that during the clinical years the research is throughout the two years.

I'm definitely interested in doing research as a MS1 -- maybe something in peds as well. I am a former med master so I have a lot of free time next semester. i havent looked into any of the details yet though but i'll post if i come across anything.

xraygray said:
hey everybody. just wanted to say good luck to all of you next year as i will not be joining you...yet. i have decided to defer a year and start in 2011. ill prob. be checking in from time to time to see how things are going. anyways, good luck, have fun, study hard, and ill see ya when i see ya. later.

Gray

dunno if u're still reading this thread......may i ask y u've decided to defer?

still reading every now and then...yep, i am defering for a year. gonna continue my research as well as do some fun stuff throughout the year.

kylahs said:
dunno if u're still reading this thread......may i ask y u've decided to defer?

I was looking over this thread and couldn't believe I hadn't posted since 6/2.

xraygray, I hate it that you won't be there with us this August but I will definitely look forward to seeing you there next August. Good luck with your research and sometimes a break is a really good idea right before starting med school! :cool:

As to the question of research, I would be interested in it but I'm not sure which project I'd want to do. I'm really not sure what all of our options are. Is there an online list of all possible research projects we could sign up for or do you guys just have a really good memory from your interview day and preview weekend?

And for any of you still interested in renting for housing, the hague towers might have another appt. opening around the time school begins. I couldn't believe it when I called and they said they had one opening in late July so I mailed in my rental application there. They might have another one or two opening. It's expensive but I am terrified of city traffic and it's really close to the school and the hague club so it's all good! :)

delete.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've been granted a deferral so I'll see you all next year. Thanks for the kind advice that you all have given me. I'll still be reading the forums to see how EVMS is treating all of you (I'm sure you all will love it there, if you don't already :) ).