Eastern European medical schools eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is a question on alot of people's mind. Are the Eastern European medical school graduates eligible to become licensed in all US states? It would be great help if some one can help out with specific answers such as which schools are eligible in whichever states. For example, since Lodz is quite new, how many states recognize Lodz graduates?

Members don't see this ad.

Dio said:
I think this is a question on alot of people's mind. Are the Eastern European medical school graduates eligible to become licensed in all US states? It would be great help if some one can help out with specific answers such as which schools are eligible in whichever states. For example, since Lodz is quite new, how many states recognize Lodz graduates?

Eligibility for licensure depends on each state.

Some states are more difficult, others are easier.

California has one of the strictest requirements. It requires that the English language program undergo separate approval from the native language program. (New Mexico, has essentially adopted California's list, so whatever California decides, goes for New Mexico as well.)

If you take a look at http://www.medbd.ca.gov/Approved_Schools.htm
you will see that all of the Polish schools are listed. However, this applies only to the Polish language programs. To date, there are only three schools in the region whose English language programs are approved:

1) 1st Faculty of Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
2) Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
3) Szeged University, Szeged, Hungary (also double-listed under old name of Albert Szent-Gyorgyi)

Other programs in the region have applied or are in the process of applying. If you'd like more information on the California application status of other schools in the region, I recommend that you contact:

Ms. Patricia Park, Foreign Schools Liaison, Licensing Program, Medical Board of California at (916) 263-2367, or e-mail [email protected]

Other states that are notorious for hindering IMG licensure are New York, Texas and Florida. (I know I left a number of others out, so if someone has that info, please post.)

If there are states that are a must for you, then I recommend that you contact the appropriate medical boards to confirm your requirements.

I also recommend that you check out the licensure and EE fora at www.valuemd.com

Good luck.

Miklos