European Medical Schools for US Citizens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any particular schools in Europe that US citizens have gone to complete their graduate medical education in and been successful at returning to the US for residency? Any one of any knowledge or background in this or just in foreign students attending European medical schools in general? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Jagiellonian, Poland.
They post their match statistics on their site. I think ~70% match back to the states, but you might want to double check that.

Reactions: 1 users
Jagiellonian, Poland.
They post their match statistics on their site. I think ~70% match back to the states, but you might want to double check that.

Ah. I've heard of that one. A family friend of mine became on ophthalmologist and has been practicing for the past 7-8 years or so. Might look into that. Thanks!

Any other places?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah. I've heard of that one. A family friend of mine became on ophthalmologist and has been practicing for the past 7-8 years or so. Might look into that. Thanks!

Any other places?

All Irish schools have excellent match rates, although it's very competitive to get in because you're competitive with Canadians.
The other popular Polish school for North Americans is Poznan but i don't think it's as reputable or as transparent about match statistics as Jag is.
Keep in mind that if you're Non-EU, by going to any European schools, you're putting all your money on coming back to the states. You have to pass a language exam to get licensed in each of those countries, followed by rejection from employers if you're lacking the EU citizenship.

All Irish schools have excellent match rates, although it's very competitive to get in because you're competitive with Canadians.
The other popular Polish school for North Americans is Poznan but i don't think it's as reputable or as transparent about match statistics as Jag is.
Keep in mind that if you're Non-EU, by going to any European schools, you're putting all your money on coming back to the states. You have to pass a language exam to get licensed in each of those countries, followed by rejection from employers if you're lacking the EU citizenship.

Damn... that is pretty rough. Certainly not my first choice but an "option" nevertheless.

Jagiellonian, Poland.
Only 46 of 125 US applicants from Polish schools matched into their preferred residency in the only publication to evaluate this. This is unfortunately not broken down by school.

Only 46 of 125 US applicants from Polish schools matched into their preferred residency in the only publication to evaluate this. This is unfortunately not broken down by school.

How many matched in total? You did mention "preferred."