Anyone go to European Medical School and Stay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroendoHolism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there I've been thinking a lot about European medical school not for the tuition rates but because I want to live and work in Europe, I'd rather do psychiatry but I think I'll end up with neuro because psychiatry isn't popular in Europe. I don't have family there, ancestors sure, how do I make this work? Applying and getting in is one thing but making a career seems very challenging visa wise, citizenship wise? Comments on the welfare states healthcare and european healthcare, dangers, things to avoid, all appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there I've been thinking a lot about European medical school not for the tuition rates but because I want to live and work in Europe, I'd rather do psychiatry but I think I'll end up with neuro because psychiatry isn't popular in Europe. I don't have family there, ancestors sure, how do I make this work? Applying and getting in is one thing but making a career seems very challenging visa wise, citizenship wise? Comments on the welfare states healthcare and european healthcare, dangers, things to avoid, all appreciated.

You've asked quite an elaborate question so I'll try my best to keep it simple.

Actually, psychiatry is a much needed speciality here and if it's what you're interested in it, you'll have a much higher liklihood of getting a residency if you're applying as a foreigner. Neuro is highly oversubscribed and getting a residency in it is near impossible at this stage.

Apart from English, do you speak any other languages? If so, which ones? The majority of medical school applications here are centralised so you will need to most likely sit an entrance exam and participate in a concours or competition where you will be ranked based on your exam results. There is no need for work experience, references, interviews, etc... Italy is another place you can consider for a place. If you're OK putting up with the horrendous bureaucracy and disorganisation, the education is stellar and top-notch. Moreover, they have courses in English! :)

One thing you need to understand about Europe is that thanks to the free movement of labour clause, medical degrees received in one EU country is automatically recognised by another. The issue, however, arises on a personal level: if you've done your degree in English, going to practice in, say, Germany, may prove difficult as not only will you need to become fluent in German you will also need to learn the medical terms in German (and pretty darn quickly). Moreover, each nation has its intricacies in terms of insurances, medical systems, etc... National health may be a thing, but it's not equal across the board.

Hit me up if you need further assistance.

Reactions: 2 users