Drexel IMS 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my room assignment for Stiles. D:

Members don't see this ad.

Almost a month until orientation and classes. I'm spending my last month relaxing (playing League of Legends!) and preparing to move in about 2 weeks. I'm now looking at the Graduate Apartments (the new ones) instead of Stiles.

So they finally set up your online account so that you could poke around DrexelOne, nice. :thumbup:

Graduate Apartments looks pretty cool, but it's an awkward distance from the Center City campus -- are you sticking with Stiles?

Hey guys,
This is aimed at those who've already been in IMS/lived in Stiles, but how easy is it to move furniture in? Like will already assembled desks and stuff fit in the elevators (I assume there are elevators..)? Or did you guys get IKEA type furniture and assemble it?

Also, did you guys have time to cook dinners and stuff, or did you prefer eating at the hospital cafeteria/taking a bus to center campus to eat?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I'll be joining those who will be in the Philly program this year. I'm actually supposed to be on vacation at the end of July (booked before i even applied to this program.. definitely didn't think it would start this early) and thus may miss the first 2 days of orientation. I could potentially not go, but the plane tickets and tour stuff I booked are nonrefundable, so I'd prefer not to lose out on all that money. Anyway my question is, if there are any people out there who were in the program last year, how essential is orientation? I know the email and website say mandatory, but they wouldn't do anything so drastic as kick you out of the program if you don't show up for the first 2 days, would they? I called them to ask about this but they were not terribly helpful - they didn't have the orientation schedule or anything. I looked over the pdf of last year's orientation, and nothing in the first 2 days *seem* essential...

Any info or advice would be superawesome!

Hi guys! I'll be joining those who will be in the Philly program this year. I'm actually supposed to be on vacation at the end of July (booked before i even applied to this program.. definitely didn't think it would start this early) and thus may miss the first 2 days of orientation. I could potentially not go, but the plane tickets and tour stuff I booked are nonrefundable, so I'd prefer not to lose out on all that money. Anyway my question is, if there are any people out there who were in the program last year, how essential is orientation? I know the email and website say mandatory, but they wouldn't do anything so drastic as kick you out of the program if you don't show up for the first 2 days, would they? I called them to ask about this but they were not terribly helpful - they didn't have the orientation schedule or anything. I looked over the pdf of last year's orientation, and nothing in the first 2 days *seem* essential...

Any info or advice would be superawesome!

Hey there. Unfortunately it does seem that orientation is Mandatory with a capital-M. I would have suggested calling the office and asking about it, but you've already done that. It's not unusual that they haven't gotten the schedule together by this point in the summer, but I'm surprised they didn't give you an answer.

This is only one anecdote, but I would take it seriously:
just a heads up about orientation- definitely mandatory. my roommate in stiles was deferred acceptance into ims until someone didn't show up for orientation in august- so he got that spot. it ran about 3 days for us (wed-fri), and we had class the monday after.

Hey guys,

I think I will be turning down my acceptance...even though I paid the $500...
I just got accepted into a 1-year Masters program at a DO school, which has a high rate of accepting its students for the following years medical school, class of 2015. Unfortunately the rate for Drexel, as much research as I have done, is not significantly promising in comparison. It seems like a handful get accepted into their own medical school out of the >100 in the program, and applying to medical schools after completing the program takes another year of application cycles, which I'm hesitant of going through. Furthermore, this program offers me a Masters degree upon completion versus a....certificate(?)

I hope you guys have a great year! I was truly excited about this program until I received an alternative offer. :)

Hey there. Unfortunately it does seem that orientation is Mandatory with a capital-M. I would have suggested calling the office and asking about it, but you've already done that. It's not unusual that they haven't gotten the schedule together by this point in the summer, but I'm surprised they didn't give you an answer.

Thanks for the speedy response. I had no idea it was taken that seriously. When I called the office they said it was mandatory because a lot of info would be given, but it seemed like it would be ok as long as I got the info. I'll try calling again to see if there's any wiggle-room. Too bad it doesn't start on a Wednesday like in the anecdote - then I wouldn't have a problem.

Hey all,

So, I'm staying in Stiles, I didn't see an answer to a question above, but how hard is it to move in? I didn't see very much parking when I visited earlier (unless we get to use the parking garage). I'm planning on moving in 8/1, so the day before orientation. When is everyone else planning to be there?

-Wayne

I lived in Stiles and it is pretty easy to get stuff in and out of the elevators. You might have to wait a while on moving day since everyone is trying to use the same two elevators. I would try to get it in as few pieces as possible though to make things easier. I don't know how big your desk is so it makes answering your question a bit difficult.

Someone asked about cooking. You will definitely have time to cook for yourself if you want to. IMS really teaches you how to manage your time better, so if you want to cook there will be time. That being said, many people chose not to cook and ate a lot of meals in the cafeteria at the hospital or from the food carts that park outside Hahnemann. It is really up to you.

I forgot to answer about parking... You can park in the garage that is attached to stiles for the discount price of roughly $200 a month (no joke). Some people parked at main campus in univ city and took the shuttle when they wanted to use their car, but that's also really inconvenient and you still have to buy a permit for something like $200 a semester or something like that. Most people (including myself) did not have cars.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to answer about parking... You can park in the garage that is attached to stiles for the discount price of roughly $200 a month (no joke). Some people parked at main campus in univ city and took the shuttle when they wanted to use their car, but that's also really inconvenient and you still have to buy a permit for something like $200 a semester or something like that. Most people (including myself) did not have cars.

This program only costs 24,600 total correct? It's not 24,600 per semester is it?

http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Acade...alStudiesintheHealthSciences/TuitionFees.aspx

Per semester. I'm setting up a monthly payment plan. Call the office to talk about it. I would not be doing this program if it were 24 grand per semester. :laugh::laugh:

Will also be moving into Stiles on 8/1 unless they tell me I can move in on the 31st, which would be exponentially better. I'm bringing my car, but I will be leaving it at my grandmother's house for the most part.

I've considered a meal plan and going over to the main campus, but that sounds like a giant hassle. Um, cafeteria food... is that... great?

I did the IMS program in 08/09. The orientation is def mandatory and they take it pretty seriously. I really don't think they will allow you to miss some of the days.

To be honest orientation is not really that mind blowing or neccessary but Dr. Soslau wants to make sure everyone is in attendance when he gives his "this is going to be the hardest academic year of your life" speech before the program starts. He wants to make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck in the program...it is tough but if you can get through it you should feel really confident that you can handle the real thing when you get accepted somewhere.

Oh poo, I guess that means I won't be going on vacation. :(

On another note, for those who have done the program already (or those who are going to do the program and are extra-informed), what is the daily class schedule like? Do classes run every single day on a consistent schedule? Did anyone try working part-time whilst doing this program?

On another note, for those who have done the program already (or those who are going to do the program and are extra-informed), what is the daily class schedule like? Do classes run every single day on a consistent schedule? Did anyone try working part-time whilst doing this program?

The only job you could possibly get is working in the library. It is the only job that will allow you to study while working. Other then that I would strongly suggest not working at all because you will be studying A LOT!

The daily class schedule varies but you will have class or lab everyday of the week. The earliest classes can start is at 8am and sometimes there are classes that start as late as 3 or 4pm or later (can't remember). Somedays you might be sitting in class all day where others you will only be in class till noon.

Once you start the program you will be able to get access to the main schedule online. They are very good about letting you know if there are changes in the schedule, etc.

Here's the schedule, which they just recently updated with the 2011 half:
http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/medicalscience/Calendar.asp?Program=IMS

Just wanted to let everyone know that was offered an IMS seat but declined. I never sent in the deposit either.

I'm....

*24 y/o
*accepted to a D.O. program
*waiting to hear from BU MAMS and Rosalind Franklin BMS (both real SMP at MD schools)
*Accepted into a Cytotechnology M.S. program with full scholarship and lucrative career opportunities

So confusing.

-----
Good luck to anyone still wanting in!

Thanks for replying so quickly guys! You're so super-helpful. :D

Another question for the alums: how did you take notes in class? Are the modules put online before classes each day? Do people usually print them out and take notes directly on them, or do people use laptops? I'm trying to figure out what kind of computing device and accessories I'll need to acquire.

Thanks for replying so quickly guys! You're so super-helpful. :D

Another question for the alums: how did you take notes in class? Are the modules put online before classes each day? Do people usually print them out and take notes directly on them, or do people use laptops? I'm trying to figure out what kind of computing device and accessories I'll need to acquire.

They'll be providing comprehensive module guides (photocopied already) for the various courses, so our note-taking needs should be minimal. I'm guessing the only use you would get out of a laptop would be to watch the streamed lectures in the library or Starbucks, though maybe some people bring them to surf Facebook or play Snood in class -- maybe someone from last year will chime in? :laugh:

As for me, I'm just going to go for the first week or so, then save train fare by doing everything from home except for labs and quizzes/tests.

As for me, I'm just going to go for the first week or so, then save train fare by doing everything from home except for labs and quizzes/tests.

Haa... see.. I've already decided I'm one of those go to class people. Even if I don't pay attention to the lecture, I will definitely be attending class daily :D

Haa... see.. I've already decided I'm one of those go to class people. Even if I don't pay attention to the lecture, I will definitely be attending class daily :D

Yeah same here, I tend to remember things better when I hear it in a classroom setting. Good to know that there will be people in class :D

Hi
I am a really late MSPer. I got my acceptance three days ago and just sent in my deposit yesterday. I am from Ca and they gave me a choice of MSP or IMS. I figured I could use the first year in MSP and improve my MCAT and gpa, then the second year in the IMS program. I am really excited to be on board. Probably staying at Stiles in the three bedroom. Can anyone tell me how the MSP schedule is going to be like? How the MCAT classes are run? and if going into the IMS my second year instead of doing the Masters Program be more beneficial? Lastly, how are rooms assigned? Do we flip a coin to see who gets the bigger of the three bedrooms?

-Thanks! :laugh:

Not sure about the MSP Program, but the rooms in Stiles are actually assigned. For example, I was assigned ###A.

Not sure about the MSP Program, but the rooms in Stiles are actually assigned. For example, I was assigned ###A.

Does DrexelOne/Housing show this assignment for you on the web? I'm pretty sure I accepted my housing agreement (XXXA) as they are sending me more immunization forms, but it won't appear under "view my housing".

Have you guys notice if you apply online the application is free? WHy is that?

Have you guys notice if you apply online the application is free? WHy is that?

You can't apply online for IMS, it's a paper application. However, they'll waive the fee if you drop it off at a campus visit. Wish that had been an option for the Philadelphia location, though they might just be offering it now because the Sacramento program hasn't filled up and it's close to the start-date. (no idea if this is true)

yah...I was able to apply for IMS for Sac branch today for free and they have a online application for sac branch. I wonder why the sac brach isnt filling up..

yah...I was able to apply for IMS for Sac branch today for free and they have a online application for sac branch. I wonder why the sac brach isnt filling up..

I would guess it's because the location isn't listed on the AAMC database of post-bacs, so you'd have to find out about it through other means. Otherwise, maybe some people are just more comfortable with brick-and-mortar classrooms. I'd have no problem going to the Sac site if that's where I lived, but I'm out in Philly and only applied to local programs. /shrug

Just wanted to let everyone know that was offered an IMS seat but declined. I never sent in the deposit either.

I'm....

*24 y/o
*accepted to a D.O. program
*waiting to hear from BU MAMS and Rosalind Franklin BMS (both real SMP at MD schools)
*Accepted into a Cytotechnology M.S. program with full scholarship and lucrative career opportunities

So confusing.

-----
Good luck to anyone still wanting in!

Option A: Go to medical school, don't look back.

Not to be a jerk, but how is this confusing? Do you enjoy accruing debt? Putting off your ultimate goal? Endless preparation and/or degrees that will have no real value down the road when you're a physician? If so, waiting on MAMS or RFS or going with the cytotech MS are probably right up your alley.

Hello all... ANY advice would be awesome...

Just got a postcard in the mail today... I applied for the IMS program at Sacramento. Yet they have not received my transcript from my undergraduate school. It's weird because I paid the delivery fee and put in the proper address.

So I went back to my transcript records, and it claims that I now have a hold on my transcript... uhhhhhh

Anyone know how I can get a transcript out to Drexel before the 17th... I don't see it happening...

Should I call in and ask them to take my word, on my grades that I put down on the application and that I'll try to fix things with my undergradate records on Monday...

This is the worst way to get rejected from a program... by not having the necessary materials for the application!!

Last edited:

Just got a postcard in the mail today... I applied for the IMS program at Sacramento. Yet they have not received my transcript from my undergraduate school. It's weird because I paid the delivery fee and put in the proper address.

So I went back to my transcript records, and it claims that I now have a hold on my transcript... uhhhhhh

Anyone know how I can get a transcript out to Drexel before the 17th... I don't see it happening...

Should I call in and ask them to take my word, on my grades that I put down on the application and that I'll try to fix things with my undergradate records on Monday...

This is the worst way to get rejected from a program... by not having the necessary materials for the application!!

Umm.. well.. you could try calling them and explaining your situation.. but today is the 17th, sooo...

Also, since apparently their class isn't full yet, I'm sure they could give you some slack if otherwise they would accept you. But yeah, you'll probably have to actually talk to someone.

Yea I hit them up with an email and left a message at their office... looks like their office isn't open on the weekends.

Hopefully that showed enough effort on my part. I wish they didn't send me snail mail (postmarked july 12)...

I could have done more about this... if it wasn't the weekend!

Philly mail is slow. Also, be careful getting things delivered through usps. Last year they either broke or damaged every package that was sent to me. My roommate received a valentine's day card on st. patrick's day...

I completely agree with the rather hilarious post by tyrkinase too. Go to med school not post-bac!

Hey guys, so I called Drexel today about my vacation thing (I really don't want the $500-600 to go down the drain and changing my return flight would cost me another $300+), and I spoke directly to Joy Henderson. She was so super nice about it, and said it was ok that I would miss the first 2 days of Orientation. She took down my name and gave me her direct line in case anything else came up. She even went through the 1st 2 days' schedule to make sure I wouldn't be missing anything important. So anyway, just wanted to let you all know in case anyone is in the same situation as me, with a nonrefundable trip. I'll see you guys on Aug 4th! :)

Hey guys, so I called Drexel today about my vacation thing (I really don't want the $500-600 to go down the drain and changing my return flight would cost me another $300+), and I spoke directly to Joy Henderson. She was so super nice about it, and said it was ok that I would miss the first 2 days of Orientation. She took down my name and gave me her direct line in case anything else came up. She even went through the 1st 2 days' schedule to make sure I wouldn't be missing anything important. So anyway, just wanted to let you all know in case anyone is in the same situation as me, with a nonrefundable trip. I'll see you guys on Aug 4th! :)

Hey, that's great news... glad it worked out! You'll be most relaxed and recently-vacationed person in the whole class, lol.

-------

On another note, I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it yet in this thread, but Amazon is doing free Amazon Prime for a year, for any students with a .edu address. Great deal-- I just used it to get the books for Microanatomy. Depressingly, the 5th edition Ross & Pawlina book seems roughly twice as large as I remember the last edition being (way back in 2003... heh).

On another note, I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it yet in this thread, but Amazon is doing free Amazon Prime for a year, for any students with a .edu address. Great deal-- I just used it to get the books for Microanatomy. Depressingly, the 5th edition Ross & Pawlina book seems roughly twice as large as I remember the last edition being (way back in 2003... heh).

I still haven't figured out if I'm going to get any of the books. I'm going to wait until after the first week to decide - I still have my Lehringer's from last year and that seems to be most of the first two weeks anyway.

Where did you guys find the book list??

There is a recommended book list in the information about the IMS program somewhere on their website for orientation. There are like 5000 recommended books though..

Where did you guys find the book list??
The books are listed in the student handbook, (last year's version of) which is posted on the orientation page. As for what to actually buy, you can look through the various IMS threads here on SDN for opinions. The consensus seems to be that you NEED the Medicine & Society (ethics) book, the Nutrition book is crucial, and you should pick up the stuff for the two lab classes (Microanatomy and Neuro). Everything else is expensive, on reserve in the library, and fairly useless because of the module notes we receive.

I still haven't figured out if I'm going to get any of the books. I'm going to wait until after the first week to decide - I still have my Lehringer's from last year and that seems to be most of the first two weeks anyway.

Yeah, two whole weeks before we even get to microscopy and staining in lecture. I dunno, partially I'm a histology nerd, and partially I was just excited about Amazon Prime, but I really wanted those books asap. Besides, it's much easier to convince myself to study the plates when I don't have to be in front of a computer to do it. I'm going to hold off on the other stuff, though.

On another note, I suppose it would be too much trouble for them to put the Med & Soc schedule up on the calendar? It's irritating to not be able to see everything. To say nothing of the orientation schedule, of course... :rolleyes:

So I've been looking through DrexelOne, and I haven't been able to find either the orientation schedule or class schedule yet, plus it says I'm not registered for any classes yet. Is everyone else in the same boat? Or am I missing something massive?

So I've been looking through DrexelOne, and I haven't been able to find either the orientation schedule or class schedule yet, plus it says I'm not registered for any classes yet. Is everyone else in the same boat? Or am I missing something massive?

Nothing's really on DrexelOne aside from financial aid stuff.

There's no orientation schedule yet, aside from the fact that it starts on Mon, Aug 2. You can look at the 2008 schedule if you want a rough idea (it's posted somewhere on the previous page of this thread). Most of the class schedule is posted, on the Professional Studies Students page of the Drexel Med site. We get registered at orientation, so you don't have to worry about that.

So yeah, you're not missing anything! :thumbup:

Hey, that's great news... glad it worked out! You'll be most relaxed and recently-vacationed person in the whole class, lol.

Thanks! Haha I need a break, otherwise I'd be working right up to orientation. This way I'll be working up until the short vacation :D

On another note, I suppose it would be too much trouble for them to put the Med & Soc schedule up on the calendar? It's irritating to not be able to see everything. To say nothing of the orientation schedule, of course... :rolleyes:

I asked Joy Henderson about the orientation schedule, she said they were working out the last bits of it. From what she went over with me, it looks like the first two days will be introductions from the faculty, tour of the campus, and presentations from the financial aid office and Student Bursar (or registrar) office. Microscope rentals wont be until the later days. The panel discussion (whereby previous students come and talk about their experience with the program) will be on aug 4th.

Nothing's really on DrexelOne aside from financial aid stuff.

There's no orientation schedule yet, aside from the fact that it starts on Mon, Aug 2. You can look at the 2008 schedule if you want a rough idea (it's posted somewhere on the previous page of this thread). Most of the class schedule is posted, on the Professional Studies Students page of the Drexel Med site. We get registered at orientation, so you don't have to worry about that.

So yeah, you're not missing anything! :thumbup:

Pretty annoying that no tuition information is available on DrexelOne yet.... I'm trying to get things together and pay for the first semester already and no one wants to accept my money! I called the post-bac office up and they said the registrar will not update DrexelOne with that information until SEPTEMBER? Odd they want me to go to school for a month for free? :D

I don't know if somebody mentioned this already, but all of the slides you need to look at for microanatomy are online in a place called virtual microscope. In addition to having the slides, the course director has annotated them and circled stuff that is important. I used to go to lab, which is helpful, but once I discovered virtual microscope attending lab was almost not even necessary. The books for micro are useful for the scavenger hunts though because they are all open book and you can't use your computer for those.

So I spoke with someone from Stiles, they say everything is done (move-in fee, monthly rent) through DrexelOne, and that they are sending out the final confirmation emails this week. Dear Drexel, why won't you just let me pay you now? :(

Hey guys I'm in the IMS program for Philly. Anyone still looking for a place off campus to live? I am finding some really good and far cheaper places than Stiles, within a mile of campus and in great, safe locations. It would be cool to live with someone else in the program. PM me if your interested.

Hi Everyone. I am moving to Philadelphia this weekend and starting the IMS program in a couple weeks. Does anyone who applied for a GradPLUS loan know when we are supposed to get our money? I read something that said 'mid-august', but I don't know if that's true.. Thanks!