Drexel IMS 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WishDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanted to start a thread for this year's Drexel IMS potential class since the other thread is for the 2009-2010 class. I've already applied to the IMS for 2010 Fall and actually gave my interview today!!!
I think it went well...so here are some of the questions she asked (for the people who are going to be interviewing soon):
How did you hear about the program?
Why do you want to be a physician?
What is your weakness and strength? What do you do to address your weakness?
What do you think is a major problem in the US healthcare system?
Have you applied to Med schools this year or previously? If so, what do you think is keeping you from getting accepted?
Have you considered osteopathic medicine? Why or why not?
Describe your experiences as relevant to the medical field.
Describe your extracurricular activities outside medicine?
What do you bring, as a person/applicant, to medical schools?
How would your friends describe you?
If you've taken the MCAT more than once, explain.
What are you currently doing to improve your med school application?

Thats all the questions I can think of right now....will add more if I think of them later but I think this is it....it took about 45min for me but its usually 30min...and Joy Henderson was the person that interviewed me.

Finally, said that the decision should be out in 3-4 weeks and that a committee will read word by word, check for consistencies and then make a decision.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I will keep you posted on the decision.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody's applying for the 2010 year??? :(

Hey, I had my interview for the IMS option yesterday.
They asked me similar questions.

My stats etc are at this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8911727&postcount=1

I'm only 20 years old and a third year (and graduating) undergrad. They asked if I ever considered spending another year in undergrad. I'd rather not.
-------
Here are some of my thoughts.

I'm also applying to BU MAMS, Georgetown SMP, and RFU (Rosalind Franklin) SMP.

The RFU SMP is the last on my list:it's too expensive for only four medical school courses, of which the grades only one of them is available by February. Several other SMP like programs without actual medical school courses seem to have "better" course options that include significant laboratory components (Loyola MAMS, Tulane pharmacology/human genetics/etc).

Gtown and BU have six and five medical school courses, respectively, with grades of all med school courses in the Gtown SMP available by March.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros of the Drexel program:
-Six courses
-Less than 30K
-Independent learning option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I had my interview for the IMS option yesterday.
They asked me similar questions.

My stats etc are at this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8911727&postcount=1

I'm only 20 years old and a third year (and graduating) undergrad. They asked if I ever considered spending another year in undergrad. I'd rather not.
-------
Here are some of my thoughts.

I'm also applying to BU MAMS, Georgetown SMP, and RFU (Rosalind Franklin) SMP.

The RFU SMP is the last on my list:it's too expensive for only four medical school courses, of which the grades only one of them is available by February. Several other SMP like programs without actual medical school courses seem to have "better" course options that include significant laboratory components (Loyola MAMS, Tulane pharmacology/human genetics/etc).

Gtown and BU have six and five medical school courses, respectively, with grades of all med school courses in the Gtown SMP available by March.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros of the Drexel program:
-Six courses
-Less than 30K
-Independent learning option.

Hey,

I got the acceptance the same week they interviewed me....seemed a little rushed....but its my first acceptance anywhere and I get to take first year medical school courses so I'm not complaining....

Are you also applying to the DPMS?

As for med students lookin down on the SMPers, it depends on the school...for the IMS program, I know that we take classes separate from the med students, in fact we're on a different campus all together so there's probably not much interaction....at UC Davis (my school)...med students usually are always on cloud 9 and do act like they own the world...i've had such bad experiences that i immediately decided that i did not want to go to UC Davis even if I got accepted....

but everyone has different opinions and experiences...i've heard good stories from UCLA and Stanford and that students there are very down to earth and nice....but then again...u never know until you're there plus each year there's a new incoming class....

Bottomline: who cares???? just do your best in your classes and get in....who cares wat everyone else thinks or acts like.....

Would you guys mind posting your stats? Just trying to see where I stand. Thanks!

Would you guys mind posting your stats? Just trying to see where I stand. Thanks!

9P, 9V, 10B Q
3.1 Science and Overall GPA

Again, the postbac is for low GPAs and ok MCATs....they do look at activities (both research & clinical)...i also had a few publications with tons of clinical and medical research experience....also some community service...

9P, 10V, 10B Q
Undergrad GPA 3.4, Grad GPA 4.0

3 years work experience mostly in research (research coordinator, laboratory research technician) plus lots of volunteering experience, physician shadowing, etc.

Just found out today I got accepted into the IMS Program for 2010-2011

9P, 10V, 10B Q
Undergrad GPA 3.4, Grad GPA 4.0

3 years work experience mostly in research (research coordinator, laboratory research technician) plus lots of volunteering experience, physician shadowing, etc.

Just found out today I got accepted into the IMS Program for 2010-2011

Congratulations!!!

I was just about to send in the non-refundable $500 to reserve my seat in the IMS since I haven't heard from any other programs yet...I would hate to lose this money....

Anyways...are you accepting or going to wait?

G'luck.

Appreciate you starting this thread and the insight on the interview questions. My interview is next week.

A little about me...

Stats:
2.9GPA, 2.8 BCPM
MCAT 10P, 11V, 9B, L (apparently I read well, but can't write???)
Biochem and physio last summer (seven hours) with As.

I'm a non-trad (37 y/o) who graduated from Indiana in '94. My undergrad transcript is like walking through a minefield. I made plenty of good grades, but careful where you step....it could be disastrous. I worked a year clinically out of undergrad and then worked for 13 years in medical device development and manufacturing. Managed to build a solid resume over those years. I also got an MBA from Indiana in '02 with a 3.7. I always wanted to go to med school, but success in industry kept it on the back burner. Two years ago I decided now or never. Bought an MCAT book, brushed up on my undergrad and took it.

I've got some things going for me, but undergrad GPA is a boat anchor. The reality is, at my age and with those grades I need to knock it out of the park in a post-bac program to even have a shot. Thus the IMS program. I've also applied to GU, Tufts, Boston U., and PCOM-GA.

Anyone have thoughts on those programs? Also, there's no shortage of criticism re Drexel's programs. Does anyone know of first-hand sucess stories out of the program?

Thanks and I look forward to participating in this thread.

Anyone have thoughts on those programs? Also, there's no shortage of criticism re Drexel's programs. Does anyone know of first-hand sucess stories out of the program?

Thanks and I look forward to participating in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm really not sure about why all the criticism? I mean, when you look at the program's stats: 60-80% get in after completing ONE year and 92% get in after completing the second year....these stats are the average for the last 26 years that the program has been running!!! All most all of the other post bacs have similar if not worse stats!!

The major problem I see is that IMS students probably don't get enough academic support from professors and advisors...this is understandable to some extent...we're taking the same classes as the med students and every medical school is going to prioritize their med students!!! Wouldn't you want that from the med school you end up in?

There are a few "guarantee" programs like the DPMS, Wake Forest and Creighton but IMS guarantees an interview only after the first semester's grades (if you meet the minimum B average)....what more could you ask for? None of the UC's post bacs guarantee anything and have similar stats while taking under 20 students each year. IMS gives about 100 students an opportunity to improve and such a huge student body is another reason why we cannot get the needed attention from the med school faculty.

I could go on and on about this but the bottom line is, if you decide to go with the IMS program, then give it all you got...score as high as you can and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!!! Life's going to be very hard and difficult for that ONE year but it really is "do or DIE" time!!!

Wish -

I also don't have any problems with taking a back seat to the med students. One way or another they got in and have earned their priority status. And, I'm on board with the do-or-die approach. If that's not the attitude, then why bother?

The areas that have given me just a bit of concern are in regards to the comments about embellishment of the stats and the possibility that the number of people having to stick around for two years may be higher.

It's all moot though unless I'm accepted and happen to have any other option. If that's the case, I will dig a little deeper. If not, I'm going wherever I can get my chance and then I'll just work my butt off. Sounds like that's your attitude too.

Have you sent in your retainer deposit? Also, do you have any other apps pending?

I got in!! Wish, thanks a lot for the info on the questions. They were the same for me and I was prepared for them. Helped a lot. I'm going to get my retainer to them in the next week.

I have one pending interview with a D.O. school. If that goes well, I'll have to go with the bird in hand. Otherwise, it's most likely Philly here we come. Frankly, I'm just happy to have the anxiety knob turned down knowing I've got a chance to compete.

Best,

Buck

heyy guys! i am currently in the IMS program and got a ton of help from IMSers last year on SDN so i'm paying it forward! PM me if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
would applying to the ims program later (like a completed application in by end of april) be too late/hurt my chances?

there are people in the program right now who applied on the deadline!

Mailed my app today:D

However, I wont get a new MCAT score until I take it again on May 1st. So i gotta talk to them about that....

I got in!! Wish, thanks a lot for the info on the questions. They were the same for me and I was prepared for them. Helped a lot. I'm going to get my retainer to them in the next week.

I have one pending interview with a D.O. school. If that goes well, I'll have to go with the bird in hand. Otherwise, it's most likely Philly here we come. Frankly, I'm just happy to have the anxiety knob turned down knowing I've got a chance to compete.

Best,

Buck

Hey Buck,

Congratulations!!! I have also sent in my deposit as well. I am waiting to hear from Wake Forest and DPMS and since they are both guaranteed admission, I will definitely pick those over IMS if I get in.

Good luck w/your DO interview!

would applying to the ims program later (like a completed application in by end of april) be too late/hurt my chances?

They accept about a 100 students and have already offered acceptances to quite a few people already so the earlier you apply the better...having said that many people give up their spot later, either because they got into med school or a better post bac so I don't think you should have any problem....any reason why you're applying so late?

heyy guys! i am currently in the IMS program and got a ton of help from IMSers last year on SDN so i'm paying it forward! PM me if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer :)

Thanks for making yourself available for questions...i guess....my biggest concern is all the negative talk about the program...whats true and what is just hearsay?

My goal is to start med school after completing the first year of IMS...how likely is that? How are you coping w/the class load? If you work your butt off, is it possible to get As?

Any other insights from you would definitely help....

Thanks again!!

since you asked some of the same questions i'll just post an answer i gave someone else!

i have no idea what i'm doing next year yet. but neither does anyone else in the program yet. it is way too early to tell. when doing a post bacc program the application process is extremely long. i applied to schools in july august and sept and am still waiting to hear from almost all of them. the thing is, they want to know your first semester grades and get a letter of rec from an advisor. so all of my info will get sent this week and hopefully i'll hear something (other than rejection from a few extremely competitive schools) from those schools soon!

as for MD vs DO, everyone i know that has applied to a DO school is in already for next year. the DOs get back really fast and are thrilled to have the students from this program. however, MDs like i said want to know all of the information. the only people i know of who have MD acceptances already did a program last year and the IMS is their second year of drexel post bacc.

IMS is a huge committment. class starts around 9 and finishes by 3ish usually. the first month or so is really deceiving because not all of the classes start at the same time. so right now i have 6 classes. 5 of them the med students are taking and one is an IMS class (ethics). generally, right after exams is a little laid back but dont get too comfortable because quizzes are soon to follow. i have 3 quizzes next week on the same day at the same time (immuno physio and histo) but keep in mind the med students have this too. block exam week i have 6 exams in about 5 days. so prior to that week i will probably be studying about 12 hours a day for like 2 weeks. the bottom like is it really sucks but if you want to get good grades you have to put in more time than you ever have in your life. i study more than i sleep and that is not even a joke. that is not to say there is no time for fun! you have to have some fun otherwise you will go nuts! for instance even though i have 3 quizzes tonight i'm going out. so its fine! another thing to keep in mind is this - in dec IMS had 3 exams during block exam week. the med students had 6 or 7. so if you find IMS a struggle med school will be impossible. some people have dropped out already because of this.

as for the coming success of my class, they just announced who is receiving a guarenteed interview at DUCOM. if you have a 27 mcat with only one 8 and Bs or better in every class you get an interview. BE SURE TO GET THIS! historically even with good grades they still like around 30 mcat.

so that's that! i hope that i didnt scare you too much. it really is incredibly intense but i think it will be worth it!

as for your specific questions
the program isnt as bad as people say it is. its just like any school really. we dont really have access to the professors directly but its not entirely necessary. you can ask them whatever you want during class and e mail them and there are chat forums on the class website pages that the profs go through and post on so getting information from them isnt a big deal.

it is definately possible to get As but it takes an incredible amount of work. like more work than you ever have done in you life. but is most definately possible!

hope this helps!

since you asked some of the same questions i'll just post an answer i gave someone else!

i have no idea what i'm doing next year yet. but neither does anyone else in the program yet. it is way too early to tell. when doing a post bacc program the application process is extremely long. i applied to schools in july august and sept and am still waiting to hear from almost all of them. the thing is, they want to know your first semester grades and get a letter of rec from an advisor. so all of my info will get sent this week and hopefully i'll hear something (other than rejection from a few extremely competitive schools) from those schools soon!

as for MD vs DO, everyone i know that has applied to a DO school is in already for next year. the DOs get back really fast and are thrilled to have the students from this program. however, MDs like i said want to know all of the information. the only people i know of who have MD acceptances already did a program last year and the IMS is their second year of drexel post bacc.

IMS is a huge committment. class starts around 9 and finishes by 3ish usually. the first month or so is really deceiving because not all of the classes start at the same time. so right now i have 6 classes. 5 of them the med students are taking and one is an IMS class (ethics). generally, right after exams is a little laid back but dont get too comfortable because quizzes are soon to follow. i have 3 quizzes next week on the same day at the same time (immuno physio and histo) but keep in mind the med students have this too. block exam week i have 6 exams in about 5 days. so prior to that week i will probably be studying about 12 hours a day for like 2 weeks. the bottom like is it really sucks but if you want to get good grades you have to put in more time than you ever have in your life. i study more than i sleep and that is not even a joke. that is not to say there is no time for fun! you have to have some fun otherwise you will go nuts! for instance even though i have 3 quizzes tonight i'm going out. so its fine! another thing to keep in mind is this - in dec IMS had 3 exams during block exam week. the med students had 6 or 7. so if you find IMS a struggle med school will be impossible. some people have dropped out already because of this.

as for the coming success of my class, they just announced who is receiving a guarenteed interview at DUCOM. if you have a 27 mcat with only one 8 and Bs or better in every class you get an interview. BE SURE TO GET THIS! historically even with good grades they still like around 30 mcat.

so that's that! i hope that i didnt scare you too much. it really is incredibly intense but i think it will be worth it!

as for your specific questions
the program isnt as bad as people say it is. its just like any school really. we dont really have access to the professors directly but its not entirely necessary. you can ask them whatever you want during class and e mail them and there are chat forums on the class website pages that the profs go through and post on so getting information from them isnt a big deal.

it is definately possible to get As but it takes an incredible amount of work. like more work than you ever have done in you life. but is most definately possible!

hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the response...its definitely helpful and has made me feel better about the program...I'm prepared to work my butt off for the A's but I really really do want to get in the following year and not wait another year...

My mcat is good for the guaranteed interview so just have to get those grades...

Thanks again and if I have any more questions, I will ask later.....

Good luck on all your quizzes and exams.

They accept about a 100 students and have already offered acceptances to quite a few people already so the earlier you apply the better...having said that many people give up their spot later, either because they got into med school or a better post bac so I don't think you should have any problem....any reason why you're applying so late?

i'm applying late bc im taking my mcat 3/27. since my score wont be released till april..my completed app wont be in until end of april. I intend on sending the actual application in by the end of the month though..

hey lykyamy00,

can you comment on the classrooms, facilities, or faculty at drexel? how are the lectures? engaging? how available are the professors? is the place old and run-down? how easy was it to find housing? what's the area around the campus like?

also, could you comment on the interview (to get into the IMS program)? what sort of things do they ask?

Last edited:
hey lykyamy00,

can you comment on the classrooms, facilities, or faculty at drexel? how are the lectures? engaging? how available are the professors? is the place old and run-down? how easy was it to find housing? what's the area around the campus like?

also, could you comment on the interview (to get into the IMS program)? what sort of things do they ask?

All the questions asked in the interview are listed in the first post of this thread. I hope they help.

oh, thanks! sorry, i only gave your post a passing glance as i thought those were questions you were asking everyone else.. :| my bad

wishdr, what do you think about the video cast lectures? personally i would really prefer to sit in a lecture hall and annotate a syllabus rather than watch a silly video..

hey lykyamy00,

well i cant say too much about the medical school facilities but the facilities the IMS uses are pretty ok. not super new but also not like falling apart. we share the educational part of the hannamen hospital with the pt pa nursing and a few other programs. some of the classrooms are new and getting updated/renovated. the lecture hall you will live in is ok. the technology is new and up to date all over the building but like the upholstry is old looking. not broken but not pretty... lol idk how important that is to you. most of the proffessors are engaging. some have accents and are difficule to understand but thats where the video recorded lectures come in. you can watch again and catch what you missed. the profs arent really available face to face unless you catch them after they come to give reviews and group projects and stuff. otherwise you can post on the class chat forums and ask questions via a microphone during lectures. i live in drexel housing. its in center city across from the hospital. excellent location. easy to find. i cant comment on finding non drexel housing because i never even tried! the area around the hospital is pretty good. its in center city by love park, the museums (franklin institute, art museum public library etc), city hall, chestnut/walnut shopping (phillys 5th ave).

wishdr, what do you think about the video cast lectures? personally i would really prefer to sit in a lecture hall and annotate a syllabus rather than watch a silly video..

the online videos are EXACTLY the same thing you will see in the lecture hall.

the online videos are EXACTLY the same thing you will see in the lecture hall.

I agree because they are 'live' (simulcasted) and not pre-recorded (which are also available later through online video streaming) and you can ask questions as you would sitting in the same hall...although I'm not sure if the professor can see you as well or just hear you when you're asking the question...but that doesn't matter to me....

I don't think any note taking will be effected at all...you should be able to take notes as you usually do in other classes....

I don't think any program that has 100 students will let you sit in with their M1 med school class....so just make the most of it..get em A's!!!!

do you guys know if you can sit in the lecture hall anyways? i just really don't know about this whole video thing...

do you guys know if you can sit in the lecture hall anyways? i just really don't know about this whole video thing...

you can sit in the lecture hall at new college building in center city but we are not allowed to go to queen lane (the med school) to watch the lectures with a person. i was a little uneasy about the live feed lectures before coming here too. but truthfully i like it. the teacher cant see you. you can play on your phone get up and walk out whisper to your neighbor and you are not being rude or inturrupting class or anything because they cant here you. they know you're there because some of the profs say good morning to the center city kids and stuff. but when you ask a question via the mic its like a voice from the sky for the lecturer at queen lane. its quite humerous actually. but i definitely dont think that not having a lecturer in from of me hinders my learning in any way.

anyone who is finalizing goin to the IMS @ drexel...pls post...

my options are now dwindling....

anyone have an idea how the advisory LORs are written? Do they compare IMS students to their M1 students grade wise? An A in a course taken by both med and IMS students stands higher than a course just by IMS (right?), so when the LOR is written do they mention that aspect?

anyone have an idea how the advisory LORs are written? Do they compare IMS students to their M1 students grade wise? An A in a course taken by both med and IMS students stands higher than a course just by IMS (right?), so when the LOR is written do they mention that aspect?

As a former IMS student, I can tell you exactly how the letters are written. Each IMS student is randomly assigned to an advisor. The impetus is on the student to make an appointment with their advisor, which usually consists of some small talk and why you want to be a physician. Your advisor will write a letter comparing your place in the class to that of the medical student average (where average = B in IMS). In addition, there is a boilerplate letter that Dr. Soslau (the head of the program) has drafted that explains the grading criteria.

Most of my friends in IMS were quite pleased with their advisors, but others were stuck with busy physicians who had little to no interest in writing strong letters unless their advisee had >3.7GPA. If that's the case, you cannot request a new advisor because the administration worries that students will 'shop around' for a good letter.

Good luck!

Thanks, I appreciate it tyrkinase! Realistically, I know that an IMS year is supposed to be very challenging, but how difficult is it to get >3.5? is it much harder than undergrad? Or does it not even compare? I'm in a little situation where I'm trying to figure out if it's a safe bet taking a 2 years masters in a specialized field, or going one year with a post bacc and kinda takig a risk.

how difficult is it to get >3.5? is it much harder than undergrad? Or does it not even compare? I'm in a little situation where I'm trying to figure out if it's a safe bet taking a 2 years masters in a specialized field, or going one year with a post bacc and kinda takig a risk.

First off, Drexel (or any other SMP, for that matter) doesn't really compare with a traditional 2 year masters program in a specialized field. The former is supposed to demonstrate your ability to compete (and hopefully excel) in medical school by comparing your performance to that of first-year students, while the latter will not. In other words, if your goal is to get into medical school and you have a sub-par GPA, a SMP like Drexel or Georgetown or BU MAMS will produce results you're unlikely to find even with a 4.0 in a traditional masters.

As for the difficulty: it's medical school (well, minus genetics and gross anatomy). That means it should be pretty challenging. I struggled with getting the average ('B' in IMS terms) in some courses, despite lots of studying. I have plenty of friends who went through IMS and were accepted to Drexel's medical school who absolutely destroyed the average. In my mind, the keys to success in IMS (or medical school) amount to 1) knowing how to separate the important from the unimportant and 2) repetition. That being said, a 3.5 is a great goal to have and certainly doable if you keep your head down and work as hard as you can consistently.

I was accepted to both the MSP and IMS programs earlier this month, and decided on the IMS program (haven't sent in my deposit yet). The thing is, I have a pretty good gpa, 3.7+ in engineering (if that even makes a difference), and an MCAT in the mid-20s. I have only taken the MCAT once, and am planning on taking it again in May. I think the main thing that kept me from getting accepted to med school this year (I only applied to MD schools) was my low MCAT score. From what I have read on SDN, it seems that the MSP program would be a better fit for me, but is the the price really worth it for an MCAT review? Sure, the courses in the MSP program would be cool to take, but is the price really worth trying to raise my gpa any higher?

Also, from what I have read on these boards, it seems that if I were to complete the IMS program and get accepted to DUCOM, I would have to retake the courses anyway, thus still losing a year. I'm planning on calling Drexel tomorrow just to double check. I'm really interested in attending as I'm more than ready to start working towards becoming a doc (not to mention I'm ready to move!!), but I guess the more logical thing may be just to reapply again with new MCAT score, find a job, and sit tight. To bad I can't send this deposit in after I get my score in June...

I was accepted to both the MSP and IMS programs earlier this month, and decided on the IMS program (haven't sent in my deposit yet). The thing is, I have a pretty good gpa, 3.7+ in engineering (if that even makes a difference), and an MCAT in the mid-20s. I have only taken the MCAT once, and am planning on taking it again in May. I think the main thing that kept me from getting accepted to med school this year (I only applied to MD schools) was my low MCAT score. From what I have read on SDN, it seems that the MSP program would be a better fit for me, but is the the price really worth it for an MCAT review? Sure, the courses in the MSP program would be cool to take, but is the price really worth trying to raise my gpa any higher?

Also, from what I have read on these boards, it seems that if I were to complete the IMS program and get accepted to DUCOM, I would have to retake the courses anyway, thus still losing a year. I'm planning on calling Drexel tomorrow just to double check. I'm really interested in attending as I'm more than ready to start working towards becoming a doc (not to mention I'm ready to move!!), but I guess the more logical thing may be just to reapply again with new MCAT score, find a job, and sit tight. To bad I can't send this deposit in after I get my score in June...

First of, u DON'T have to repeat the courses if you attend DUCOM...u can petition out of them...u have to repeat them if you go anywhere else.....BUT it is recommended that you repeat some of the courses to keep them fresh in ur mind for Step 1.

Second, IMS is ONLY for improving your GPA stats, its a chance to show med schools that u can perform well in a med school curriculum despite ur undergrad GPA (if u have a low one)...it has absolutely NO MCAT prep...and cannot help u there, so if u already have a 3.7 and have completed the pre-med requirements (that most med schools have) then u shud have no trouble gettin in pending improvements in ur MCAT....

Also, don't just rely on MCAT or GPA...as an engineering major, I"m not sure if you have any experience in medical research, clinical and community service...u shud try to gain as much experience in these fields as you can....

Bottomline: I don't think IMS can help you much...go make some $$$ while improving ur MCAT and activities...g'luck:thumbup:

First of, u DON'T have to repeat the courses if you attend DUCOM...u can petition out of them...u have to repeat them if you go anywhere else.....BUT it is recommended that you repeat some of the courses to keep them fresh in ur mind for Step 1.

Second, IMS is ONLY for improving your GPA stats, its a chance to show med schools that u can perform well in a med school curriculum despite ur undergrad GPA (if u have a low one)...it has absolutely NO MCAT prep...and cannot help u there, so if u already have a 3.7 and have completed the pre-med requirements (that most med schools have) then u shud have no trouble gettin in pending improvements in ur MCAT....

Also, don't just rely on MCAT or GPA...as an engineering major, I"m not sure if you have any experience in medical research, clinical and community service...u shud try to gain as much experience in these fields as you can....

Bottomline: I don't think IMS can help you much...go make some $$$ while improving ur MCAT and activities...g'luck:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply, WishDr. I'm not just relying on the gpa and MCAT. I have done my share of volunteer work, and have worked in a lab the entire time I've been in college. I think my main issue is just the MCAT, and like you pointed out the IMS has no MCAT prep in the curriculum. Maybe I should look into taking a review course, like Kaplan or PR? Last time I took it, I just studied on my own and only gave myself a month. I'm still gonna give myself some time to decide on IMS, but right now I'm leaning on just keeping myself busy for a year, saving up some $$$, and hoping for the best for matriculation in Fall 2011.

Thanks for the reply, WishDr. I'm not just relying on the gpa and MCAT. I have done my share of volunteer work, and have worked in a lab the entire time I've been in college. I think my main issue is just the MCAT, and like you pointed out the IMS has no MCAT prep in the curriculum. Maybe I should look into taking a review course, like Kaplan or PR? Last time I took it, I just studied on my own and only gave myself a month. I'm still gonna give myself some time to decide on IMS, but right now I'm leaning on just keeping myself busy for a year, saving up some $$$, and hoping for the best for matriculation in Fall 2011.

You probably couldn't do anything worse with your upcoming gap year than attend IMS.

1. It costs a lot of money.
2. Even if you get a 4.0 in IMS, you aren't getting an interview -- your MCAT is below their cut-off.
3. It costs a lot of money.
4. If something were to go wrong and you tanked a class or two, you would be hurting your chances of admission down the road.
5. It costs a lot of money.
6. First year of med school is a blast, by why do it twice if you don't have to?
7. It costs a lot of money.

It's a decent program for the right reasons (typically low GPA, good/great MCAT) but that just isn't you.

For ~5% of the cost of IMS, you could take a Kaplan or TPR course and get your 30 or 31. Or better yet, for 0.5% the cost of IMS, you could buy a set of ExamKrackers books and go to town. Both of these things would take you where you want to be, without spending a fortune or taking an enormous (and unnecessary) risk.

Best of luck!

You probably couldn't do anything worse with your upcoming gap year than attend IMS.

1. It costs a lot of money.
2. Even if you get a 4.0 in IMS, you aren't getting an interview -- your MCAT is below their cut-off.
3. It costs a lot of money.
4. If something were to go wrong and you tanked a class or two, you would be hurting your chances of admission down the road.
5. It costs a lot of money.
6. First year of med school is a blast, by why do it twice if you don't have to?
7. It costs a lot of money.

It's a decent program for the right reasons (typically low GPA, good/great MCAT) but that just isn't you.

For ~5% of the cost of IMS, you could take a Kaplan or TPR course and get your 30 or 31. Or better yet, for 0.5% the cost of IMS, you could buy a set of ExamKrackers books and go to town. Both of these things would take you where you want to be, without spending a fortune or taking an enormous (and unnecessary) risk.

Best of luck!

Haha, great points Tyrkinase! I especially liked points 1, 3, 5 and 7. I'm gonna look into ExamKrackers and see where that gets me. Any advice for verbal in particular? That was, and continues to remain, my biggest weakness. I just don't pay attention well to topics I don't find interesting, and haven't had the opportunity to take many humanities courses while in college to beef up my critical reading skills. I did get an S in the writing section though, so apparently I can write, but can't read. To bad adcoms could care less about a good writing score..

So, I officially informed Drexel I would not be taking my seat in IMS for this upcoming year. Although I'm not a current student at Drexel, I must say the people at Drexel were very nice and helpful throughout the application process. Good luck to those planning on attending or still waiting to hear back!

good for you medguy, if you don't mind me asking, what have you decided on doing instead? if you don't mind, i have my phone interview in about a week, do you have any advice? and do you think that the fact that my interview is so late in the season that i'm pretty much applying for a wait list spot? or do you think they still have a spots left? good luck to you!

good for you medguy, if you don't mind me asking, what have you decided on doing instead? if you don't mind, i have my phone interview in about a week, do you have any advice? and do you think that the fact that my interview is so late in the season that i'm pretty much applying for a wait list spot? or do you think they still have a spots left? good luck to you!

I'm actually planning on staying at my school and doing a master's in my field (BME). My school (like many others) has a 4+1 program, so I thought it would be good in keeping me busy during my gap year, as well as continuing to do some volunteer work. I've been applying to some jobs the last couple of weeks, so hopefully something turns up as that would be the best option. We'll see...

As for the interview, you really have nothing to be worried about as it's VERY laid back. I had mine with Joy Henderson, and I was asked questions nearly identical to what WishDr posted. It lasted about 40 minutes. I would recommend you review you application before the interview, as they do compare your answers to what you said during the interview when ultimately making a decision. I'm not really sure how many spots they still have left, but from what I read on previous threads on this site, many people were accepted over the summer. Good luck on your interview!

I'm gonna look into ExamKrackers and see where that gets me. Any advice for verbal in particular? That was, and continues to remain, my biggest weakness.

Pick up something intimidating at the bookstore or library. Force yourself to read it, because you'll get better at paying attention and picking apart the details despite the dull subject matter. I doubt a tremendous number of pre-meds are intrigued by the metaphors for revolution used in 18th century French poetry, but they manage to get 10+ on the VR section, and you can too you.

I'd also check out ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages. Nothing like getting some solid practice in. I think the book goes for about $25 on Amazon.

I just don't pay attention well to topics I don't find interesting...

Oh man, good luck in medical school! But really, you'll have to learn to get down with boring/irrelevant/mindless stuff. This is coming from someone who just finished Histology...

Good luck!

Does anyone EVER get rejected from IMS?...seems like everyone is getting an acceptance....

I just signed up with SDN...although I have been reading different threads for a long time. I have a couple questions for anyone who feels knowledgeable enough to answer. Here's my story, briefly,

I graduated undergrad in 2008. My AMCAS GPA is 3.5 overall and science. My MCAT is 27 (9B, 9V, 9P, Q) on the 2nd time around. I don't plan on taking the test for a 3rd time.

I applied to the SMP's in the title bar. But after reading through all the msg's I am starting to wonder if they are worth it for me. I have great recommendations, and a long list of extra-curricular activities, volunteer, paid, clinical, research, and non-medical related. I applied to US M.D. school this yr and am waiting to hear back from 5 more, but have not been offered any interviews. I was planning on doing the SMP (assuming I get in to one) and reapplying in the summer, including D.O and international school.

Considering my GPA and MCAT, will these SMP help get me into U.S. medical school?

Thanks

I just signed up with SDN...although I have been reading different threads for a long time. I have a couple questions for anyone who feels knowledgeable enough to answer. Here's my story, briefly,

I graduated undergrad in 2008. My AMCAS GPA is 3.5 overall and science. My MCAT is 27 (9B, 9V, 9P, Q) on the 2nd time around. I don't plan on taking the test for a 3rd time.

I applied to the SMP's in the title bar. But after reading through all the msg's I am starting to wonder if they are worth it for me. I have great recommendations, and a long list of extra-curricular activities, volunteer, paid, clinical, research, and non-medical related. I applied to US M.D. school this yr and am waiting to hear back from 5 more, but have not been offered any interviews. I was planning on doing the SMP (assuming I get in to one) and reapplying in the summer, including D.O and international school.

Considering my GPA and MCAT, will these SMP help get me into U.S. medical school?

Thanks

I think if you're open to going the D.O. route and think you'll be happy in that path, you should refrain from doing an SMP. From what you listed, it seems that you are an excellent candidate for getting into a D.O. school, and D.O. schools often look past the numbers when evaluating candidates. Depending on when you applied, it seems that you have a decent chance for getting into some lower tier U.S. M.D. schools as well. I guess it depends on where and when you applied.

As far as the SMPs go that you mentioned, that's a tough one. Your gpa isn't horrible, some people would kill for a 3.5. If you were willing to retake the MCAT again and score higher, it might not even be a big issue. If you think the SMP route is the way to go, maybe look into SMPs that have a high problability of acceptance upon completion, such as EVMS?

Basically, I don't see you having a problem getting into a D.O. school (if that's what you want), but think you are in a gray area when it comes to an SMP. If studying for the MCAT more won't do you any good, then maybe an SMP is the way to go to raise the gpa. But if you can score a little higher on the MCAT, I think you'll get in somewhere.

Good luck!

I sent in my application back in early february...

still haven't heard back from Drexel IMS... I'm beginning to fear that they never received my application...

I haven't called to check on my status because I was preoccupied with interviews...

how long did it take people who have recently been accepted to hear back?

I already received an acceptance to Loyola MAMS, but I think I'd rather go to Drexel because it's much cheaper, and guarantees an interview...

i don't get a guaranteed interview from Loyola because my MCAT's below 30...

which program is better?

I sent in my application back in early february...

still haven't heard back from Drexel IMS... I'm beginning to fear that they never received my application...

I haven't called to check on my status because I was preoccupied with interviews...

how long did it take people who have recently been accepted to hear back?

I already received an acceptance to Loyola MAMS, but I think I'd rather go to Drexel because it's much cheaper, and guarantees an interview...

i don't get a guaranteed interview from Loyola because my MCAT's below 30...

which program is better?

I received a notification that my application was complete approximately 2 weeks after my last LOR was mailed in, and then I was called to set up an interview approximately 3 weeks after that. I had my interview today, and judging from what people said earlier, i should be hearing back within the next week? I didn't want to ask how quickly they responded, but I was wondering if anyone had anymore feedback on that? I think i'd love to go there, I just hope I get accepted!