Drexel IMS 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We'll get our LOR from an advisor here in Sacramento, not the lecturers. They said it'll be available in late January.

Lectures are not webcam but streaming video of recorded lectures. Some students here are trying to organize a volunteering club. So far only one volunteering event has been done. Deuces is right, you need to find opportunities yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

We'll get our LOR from an advisor here in Sacramento, not the lecturers. They said it'll be available in late January.

Lectures are not webcam but streaming video of recorded lectures. Some students here are trying to organize a volunteering club. So far only one volunteering event has been done. Deuces is right, you need to find opportunities yourself.

I see. That's good to know. Thanks for letting us in on how the program is so far. It truly helps a lot :thumbup: Would be great if you can update us with anything new or interesting :)

edit: er, what sepho said. I responded to the wrong post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest attending an information meeting if you're near Sac. If not, ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them on this thread. I'm not the type to proactively post.

I would suggest attending an information meeting if you're near Sac. If not, ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them on this thread. I'm not the type to proactively post.

That would be cool :cool: Are there any research going on the campus? I was thinking about getting involved in some sort of research during SMP.

That would be cool :cool: Are there any research going on the campus? I was thinking about getting involved in some sort of research during SMP.

there is no campus. you know how university of phoenix has a grad center and they rent out a floor of a business building? it's the same thing for drexel in sac. this is a graduate center, located in a business building in downtown sacramento.

you might be able to find research at davis or something.

there is no campus. you know how university of phoenix has a grad center and they rent out a floor of a business building? it's the same thing for drexel in sac. this is a graduate center, located in a business building in downtown sacramento.

you might be able to find research at davis or something.

oh i see. that was kinda what i figured. thanks for the info

I didnt want to start a new thread, but Drexel has a Pathway to Medical School Program for students from lower socioeconomic background.

What exactly qualifies for lower socioeconomic background? During my college career I have always qualified for Pell Grants. I personally have not had to work until my junior year of college because of large amounts of scholarships/grants.

Starting application for this soon. How's everyone in this program doing?

Starting application for this soon. How's everyone in this program doing?

Things are going well. We just finished up our biggest block of exams for the year last week: tests in five classes, three of which were finals. Now we're down to physio and microanatomy until early march, after which it's just neuro. There's definitely a palpable sense that the worst has passed. :thumbup:

Anyone have any opinions of the pros and cons of Tulane Masters in Cell Biology vs Drexel IMS program for getting into med school.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an opinion on Drexel IMS vs tulane Cell Biology for getting into med school.
Thanks

Hey for those of you that are starting the program in the fall, are you guys applying to medschools in June or are you going to wait til next year?

Hi, I just applied for this program, and I was wondering if they still have the same interviews as the previous 2010 year?

I'm still waiting word to see if they've received my application, so I haven't had the chance to ask for that yet.

Hey for those of you that are starting the program in the fall, are you guys applying to medschools in June or are you going to wait til next year?

Unless you have a bad MCAT, or are dying to go back home to your state school, I'd recommend that everyone apply to at least Drexel during the IMS year -- that guaranteed interview will get you looked at, and it's great to shave off the gap year if you do well in the program.

Also, since they'll be waiting until January to review your application anyway, there's no rush to finish your AMCAS. I actually don't think my secondary was in until late October!

Hi,
Is anyone applying for 2011-2012? I haven't seen any activity on the forum for this year.

Edited

Last edited:
Expecting post-interview rejection for DPMS this week. Interviewed for IMS on Monday. Hoping to hear back. Haven't seen any rejections on SDN for Drexel IMS. My stats are 28R/3.4. Have 4.0 in every prereq, but an F in intro to botany and a C in survey of nutrition, both from 1995 w/undeclared major. Also got a 22R when I took MCAT w/o accommodations and admitted to this during my interview (probably shot myself admitting to dyslexia?). If I can overcome these problems, I hope to see some of you in Sac or Philly! Will keep you apprised of turn around time for decision. :xf:

Hi, I was planning to apply last year, but I found out about the program in late June, so I decided to do some other things and apply this year instead.

There were some problems with the mail in Philadelphia for my application, so it took about 1-2 months for them to actually get some parts of my application. They were really nice and helpful overall though, just bad luck with the mail, I guess? (If you haven't heard anything, I recommend you call them and ask if they've recieved your application/transcripts/etc)

Well, I guess I'm going to the Sacramento IMS program, I think the online orientation for the Sacramento was scheduled for July 28th. Guess my parents finally get their wish and I move back in with them for a year. Haven't lived with them since high school, I wonder how that will turn out :eyebrow:

Question for any of the previous IMS students - were old practice tests readily available from the professors/online? Or should I be begging one of you for scans / copies :) ? (Please :)?)

I'll gladly pay the shipping or whatever costs to copy them if they are available, then I could scan them and let the other fellow classmates use them when classes start.

I'm just hoping to get all the busy stuff out of the way so all of us could have a smooth year I guess!

Today they said I was highly qualified for DPMS, and they wanted to provide opportunity for the most people, so I was accepted w/IMS in Sacramento. It was basically a 2 day turn around from interview to acceptance. DPMS would have been so much easier, but I'm up for the challenge. Nancy said the Sacramento program had slightly better acceptance rates for DUCOM than the Philly IMS so hope we keep up the good work!

Question for any of the previous IMS students - were old practice tests readily available from the professors/online? Or should I be begging one of you for scans / copies :) ? (Please :)?)
All of the course websites provide plenty of practice problems and quizzes. In addition, here are some old quizzes/exams floating around online, which one of our TAs sent to us last year:

http://sga.drexelmed.edu/studentgroups/bigslittles/
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fad17065c50ffffbab1eab3e9fa335cae6a0c2af2a694033
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~hmk33/
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mab337/

Pick up something intimidating at the bookstore or library. Force yourself to read it, because you'll get better at paying attention and picking apart the details despite the dull subject matter. I doubt a tremendous number of pre-meds are intrigued by the metaphors for revolution used in 18th century French poetry, but they manage to get 10+ on the VR section, and you can too you.

I'd also check out ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages. Nothing like getting some solid practice in. I think the book goes for about $25 on Amazon.

Oh man, good luck in medical school! But really, you'll have to learn to get down with boring/irrelevant/mindless stuff. This is coming from someone who just finished Histology...

Good luck!

I'm currently applying to Drexel's IMS and wondering if it (and SMPs in general) are the right choice for me.. I think my app in general is strong enough to warrant interviews by institutions who look 'beyond' numbers and is promising in that sense, but am unsure which course of action would be best: Whether spending the money on Drexels IMS or another SMP, or just retaking the MCAT with a score above 30 and while working to save $$

Last edited:
Is there anyone on here that is a current or past MSP student at Drexel? I really wanted to know a student's perspective on this program.

I'm currently applying to Drexel's IMS and wondering if it (and SMPs in general) are the right choice for me. Very briefly, my MCAT is a 27 (10B, 9V, 8PS, WS: O) and I have a 3.1 Science and 3.05 Overall GPA; Tons and tons of shadowing, good/great LORs and volunteering abroad; Only problem are my freshman year grades which were bad due to family/personal problems and have been a setback in my GPA. This was my first year applying to MD schools, and I received 3 interviews (1 rejection and am on the waitlist at 2 schools) this year. I am certainly open to int'l schools as a means to an end (I consider myself strong enough to be in the group of students who make it back to the US to practice) but obviously prefer staying in the US for reasons of match, rotation and general convenience. I think my app in general is strong enough to warrant interviews by institutions who look 'beyond' numbers and is promising in that sense, but am unsure which course of action would be best: Whether spending the money on Drexels IMS or another SMP, or just retaking the MCAT with a score above 30 and while working to save $$

Unfortunately I began my preparing for plan b (thinking about doing an SMP, etc.) a bit late as I was sort of banking on getting in this year, so I'm limited to a few SMPs now that most have passed their deadlines, and can only add marginal advancements in my application (chemistry tutoring, more shadowing to add to an already-extensive history, and perhaps additional international volunteering). I have no problems with waiting 1 year to matriculate into a school, but do not like the idea of waiting 2 more years.

In essence, I want to do an IMS type program and apply at the same time, but am still unsure if this will bump me up enough to get in. Re-studying for the MCAT sounds like a b**** , but I have the determination to suck it up.

You probably ought to re-post this question in the Low GPA or the Special Masters threads, or maybe even by itself -- I'm not sure many eyes are on this thread anymore.

Anyway, I think you definitely need to do a SMP if you're looking to get into a US allopathic school. If you do amazingly, you might not need to retake the MCAT, but honestly I would do it again unless you really want to limit your options. If you could get a 30+ score back by January, that's when schools would be looking at your first semester SMP grades, and you might have a shot at skipping the glide-year. That's contingent on getting into a SMP this summer though, and I honestly don't know which application seasons are still open.

You probably ought to re-post this question in the Low GPA or the Special Masters threads, or maybe even by itself -- I'm not sure many eyes are on this thread anymore.

Anyway, I think you definitely need to do a SMP if you're looking to get into a US allopathic school. If you do amazingly, you might not need to retake the MCAT, but honestly I would do it again unless you really want to limit your options. If you could get a 30+ score back by January, that's when schools would be looking at your first semester SMP grades, and you might have a shot at skipping the glide-year. That's contingent on getting into a SMP this summer though, and I honestly don't know which application seasons are still open.

Thanks for the reply -- i gathered that this was a dying thread from the silence. I've already sent in my app for IMS and am waiting for it to be completed/receive an interview. Do you think taking the mcat at some point in the early fall semester (september-ish) while in IMS is doable?

Thanks for the reply -- i gathered that this was a dying thread from the silence. I've already sent in my app for IMS and am waiting for it to be completed/receive an interview. Do you think taking the mcat at some point in the early fall semester (september-ish) while in IMS is doable?

Possibly, but it depends on how much studying you'll need for the MCAT. Mid-September is when IMS starts getting a bit ugly, because it switches from two classes (biochem & microanatomy; Abnormal Amnio module) to four (adds nutrition and physiology; Muscle Weakness module). You'll have about two weeks between the AA module exams and the next quizzes, so if you don't mind playing catch-up that could give you some time.

Soccer,If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply the first time?

Last edited:
yeah I did, but was laughably naive, and applied way too high. No interviews so I'm hoping to get a better profile through the IMS. Interviewed on tuesday so I'm just waiting now.

All of the course websites provide plenty of practice problems and quizzes. In addition, here are some old quizzes/exams floating around online, which one of our TAs sent to us last year:

http://sga.drexelmed.edu/studentgroups/bigslittles/
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fad17065c50ffffbab1eab3e9fa335cae6a0c2af2a694033
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~hmk33/
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~mab337/

That's not fair. We didn't get any word about the past neuro exams. TAs didn't love Cali pps I guess.

That's not fair. We didn't get any word about the past neuro exams. TAs didn't love Cali pps I guess.

My mistake -- that link with the Neuro stuff was just from Googling, and the others were from the TAs.

Ah, I tired googing for the other courses. But gave up after unfruitful results. Didn't think to check for Neuro. What was your undergrad GPA like?

Ah, I tired googing for the other courses. But gave up after unfruitful results. Didn't think to check for Neuro. What was your undergrad GPA like?

2.98/2.92 cumulative and science. :oops: