Drexel IMS 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I had my phone interview the other day and didn't want to ask how soon they'd get back to me either lol :)
I hope they get back quickly though, I hate waiting

Members don't see this ad.

I received a notification that my application was complete approximately 2 weeks after my last LOR was mailed in, and then I was called to set up an interview approximately 3 weeks after that. I had my interview today, and judging from what people said earlier, i should be hearing back within the next week? I didn't want to ask how quickly they responded, but I was wondering if anyone had anymore feedback on that? I think i'd love to go there, I just hope I get accepted!

got an interview invite on 11/23/09, gave interview on 11/30/09 and was accepted on 12/3/09....hope this timeline helps....g'luck....

I'm in Drexel IMS 2010-2011!! Anybody know the exact tuition cost? I've looked through their website and through SDN and all I could find was that it's <30K.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my phone interview, not sure how I did :rolleyes:

Was pretty casual, but definitly hard to read on the otherside.

Hope I get in!

Hey,

I just sent in my $500, but I'm still waiting on a few other programs. Like everyone here, my goal is to get into med school next year. For anyone in the program, what kind of stats do they boast for getting students in? I'm currently in my application cycle...waiting to hear back. Florida resident, and I would really like to come back home after a year away!
Also, if not a 1 year SMP, what else should I do with this year?!

Thanks

Hey,

Do you think it is too late to apply now? I have a cGPA of 3.35 and sGPA of 3.6 and am taking the MCATs next weekend.

Hey,

I just sent in my $500, but I'm still waiting on a few other programs. Like everyone here, my goal is to get into med school next year. For anyone in the program, what kind of stats do they boast for getting students in? I'm currently in my application cycle...waiting to hear back. Florida resident, and I would really like to come back home after a year away!
Also, if not a 1 year SMP, what else should I do with this year?!

Thanks

Sounds like you're in the same situation was I was in last year. I'm finishing up the IMS program now and will be attending DUCOM c/o 2014. As for getting back to Florida, I'm sure it can be done it just didn't work out for me. I had a 3.3 BCMP and a 3.6 overall and a 10/9/10P and was only invited to interview at UCF believe it or not. I am on the waitlist, but they tell me the waitlist really won't move. So, Drexel it is. I thought about passing on Drexel and retaking the MCAT so I could be back in Fl, but that's too much of a crapshoot for me. Though I did debate it for a while. The fact is it's a chance to go to an MD school with an ok MCAT score and the chance to go to a school whose primary focus is on medical education. It's a pretty good name drop, too. My personal experience is that when you start spouting off all the Florida initials (UCF, FSU, UF, USF, FIU) no one know what you're talking about. But people know Drexel.

FYI: I have a 3.9 in the IMS program and I hold a masters in anatomy from the USF COM. The competition is ridiculous these days for a medical school seat.

Last edited:
Has anyone here applied to the IMS program in Sacramento, CA? They just opened up applications for it 1 or 2 months ago. I am waiting to hear back from them :<

Thanks, USFmedical! I am just concerned about other options that may allow me to improve my clinical experience and ahve more time for other volunteer activities...basically, I'm just trying to figure out what committees want me to do. I'm considering a retake on the MCAT, but I've pretty much maxed out the AAMC practice tests...and scoring lower would be out. Did the advisors at Drexel act as if your 29 was low?

Thanks, USFmedical! I am just concerned about other options that may allow me to improve my clinical experience and ahve more time for other volunteer activities...basically, I'm just trying to figure out what committees want me to do. I'm considering a retake on the MCAT, but I've pretty much maxed out the AAMC practice tests...and scoring lower would be out. Did the advisors at Drexel act as if your 29 was low?

No one anywhere, including the faculty at Drexel, ever indicated that my MCAT was "low", but that it was the epitome of borderline. It's like the twilight zone of MCAT scores. My interviewer at Drexel said "schools tend to have a stigma when they see your MCAT score start with a 2". The reason I went IMS was because I was too nervous that the MCAT could go either way so I figured acing a medical school curriculum would help. If you're ABSOLUTELY positive (as much as one can be with the MCAT) that your score can go 30 or above I would sooner do that if your undergrad stats are strong enough. Admissions is such a crapshoot.

Just had my phone interview today, she said they would get back to me in two weeks. But mine was only 20 minutes, which kind of worries me.

Has anyone here applied to the IMS program in Sacramento, CA? They just opened up applications for it 1 or 2 months ago. I am waiting to hear back from them :<

OMG...this is great (or not) news!!!!! i'm from Sacramento and was accepted to the IMS back in Dec.....was actually starting to look for apartments in Philly and now I hear, its offered in Sac.....WOW!!!

I'm goin to call them tomorrow and see if the program is exactly the same (the same first year med school courses that M1s at ducom take)...maybe I DON'T have to move...yayy!!!:laugh:

If anyone knows more about the IMS in Sac...please post..

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG...this is great (or not) news!!!!! i'm from Sacramento and was accepted to the IMS back in Dec.....was actually starting to look for apartments in Philly and now I hear, its offered in Sac.....WOW!!!

I'm goin to call them tomorrow and see if the program is exactly the same (the same first year med school courses that M1s at ducom take)...maybe I DON'T have to move...yayy!!!:laugh:

If anyone knows more about the IMS in Sac...please post..

it's the same curriculum and layout, the only difference is i don't think it's a live class you're watching. you have digital conferences with your advisors, etc.
my application was complete about a week ago, i will keep you posted if i hear anything different about the sac program. :love: i too was excited when i learned i could stay in the bay area!

i wish you luck if you can change!!

Last edited:
I have my phone interview next week... any words of advice?

Hey,

Good luck to everyone that are completing their interview process.

I just finished up with one of the programs at Drexel and I am transitioning into the IMS program. I am leaving for the summer, but I have my apartment available for the summer if anyone is interested in coming to Philadelphia this summer to get familiar with the city. Also, you could also extend the lease if you decide to stay for another year in the apartment (since I am moving into a 2br). I have a studio right now on the 9th floor. It is walking distance from school...plus the apartment complex has its own shuttle system that could drop you off 3 blocks away from school. If interested please PM me....

I have my phone interview next week... any words of advice?

If you have any advice for me too let me know! They called me today for a phone interview this week on Thursday! :love:

I just got called for a phone interview today too! Good luck Aidama, hope we both get in! Can someone who has recently gotten a phone interview tell me if they asked any questions not covered by WishDr in his first post? :)

I just got called for a phone interview today too! Good luck Aidama, hope we both get in! Can someone who has recently gotten a phone interview tell me if they asked any questions not covered by WishDr in his first post? :)

My interviewer was Sarah. She asked me questions out of wishdr's post. There was only one that was different and it was about a personal mentor. You don't get any feedback though, all she said was "sure" to all my responses.

does anyone know the turnaround time between interview date and when they let you know their decision?

does anyone know the turnaround time between interview date and when they let you know their decision?

From reviewing the thread it seems like it is about a week. :xf:

Completed Application to Possible Phone Interview according to the post-card is 2-3 weeks, for me it was exactly 2 weeks.
Interview to Acceptance - ????

Last edited:

my interview to acceptance was exactly one week, even though she said it would be two. Its pretty quick.

Does anyone have any insight about the Drexel MSP program? For example, how successful it is in preparing for MCAT? Thanks =)

my interview to acceptance was exactly one week, even though she said it would be two. Its pretty quick.

When they accepted you, did they call, snailmail, or email you?

I guess I will pose the same question to people who were denied.

My interviewer called me and told me that I had been accepted and that I would receive an email with a link on how to proceed. no snail mail involved.

Anybody have any ideas on cheap but decent housing near center city campus?

If anyone is staying in Stiles, let me know. I just paid my deposit for a 2-bedroom apt. in Stiles Hall, don't have a roomate yet but its definitely the most affordable place (on & off campus) in Philly....rent includes all utilities, phone & cable!!!

I'm gonna give it a shot for the first year and see if i like it...

If anyone is staying in Stiles, let me know. I just paid my deposit for a 2-bedroom apt. in Stiles Hall, don't have a roomate yet but its definitely the most affordable place (on & off campus) in Philly....rent includes all utilities, phone & cable!!!

Isn't it like $1200 a month? University city is pretty cheap, you can get a one bedroom for ~$750, but I don't know what the neighborhood is like.

Haha, I might get back to you on this. :p
Thank you for your possible interview questions, they helped out a lot!

They asked me some different questions but only after I prompted them with my own questions for the interviewer, as I am applying primarily to the new Sacramento program. Here is what I learned and confirmed:

- The lectures are all pre-recorded...no class will be live (which is a bit of a given with the 3hr time difference).
- For their applicants, they want to see higher numbers than they would accept/admit at the Philadelphia campus because the CA campus and program is significantly "isolated". They expect the applicants to be much more "independent" and "self-sufficient" in their learning and studying (I think that's why they asked me how I studied for the MCAT).
- If your numbers aren't where they want for their CA program you are still eligible for the Philadelphia center. If you are taking the MCAT soon like me and get better scores, if you are admitted you can submit them and probably switch where you go before the program starts.

Other than that my interviewer was Sara, it was very informal, she was extremely nice, and I hope everything goes well for me 1-2 weeks from now!:xf:
Good luck to everyone who is interviewing/waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted. :D

Last edited:
I'm in. Planning to stay at Stiles if I can get my account setup...

-Wayne

Haha, I might get back to you on this. :p
Thank you for your possible interview questions, they helped out a lot!

They asked me some different questions but only after I prompted them with my own questions for the interviewer, as I am applying primarily to the new Sacramento program. Here is what I learned and confirmed:

- The lectures are all pre-recorded...no class will be live (which is a bit of a given with the 3hr time difference).
- For their applicants, they want to see higher numbers than they would accept/admit at the Philadelphia campus because the CA campus and program is significantly "isolated". They expect the applicants to be much more "independent" and "self-sufficient" in their learning and studying (I think that's why they asked me how I studied for the MCAT).
- If your numbers aren't where they want for their CA program you are still eligible for the Philadelphia center. I have a 3.5 and a 27MCAT (good enough for their guaranteed, retaking it Saturday). If you are taking the MCAT soon like me and get better scores, if you are admitted you can submit them and probably switch where you go before the program starts.

Other than that my interviewer was Sara, it was very informal, she was extremely nice, and I hope everything goes well for me 1-2 weeks from now!:xf:
Good luck to everyone who is interviewing/waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted. :D

Hey,
thanks for posting the info and g'luck...hope u get in...keep me posted...if u end up in Philly, we shud definitely meet up.....:thumbup:

Isn't it like $1200 a month? University city is pretty cheap, you can get a one bedroom for ~$750, but I don't know what the neighborhood is like.

It said $1057 for a 2-bedroom and I figured with a roommate it will be closer to $500 (including utilities)..well...too good to be true...its $1057/person!!!!!

So I found a few really really nice apartments, about 1 or 2 miles from the Center City campus for around $800 for 1-bedroom....these r really nice places so u guys shud look into these instead of Stiles....

If anyone's looking for rooming in a 2 or 3 bedroom apt in center city..lemme know....:)

It said $1057 for a 2-bedroom and I figured with a roommate it will be closer to $500 (including utilities)..well...too good to be true...its $1057/person!!!!!

So I found a few really really nice apartments, about 1 or 2 miles from the Center City campus for around $800 for 1-bedroom....these r really nice places so u guys shud look into these instead of Stiles....

If anyone's looking for rooming in a 2 or 3 bedroom apt in center city..lemme know....:)

there are lots of places way cheaper than stiles, although they are not as conveniently close as stiles.

Just found out I got in this morning, exactly two weeks after my phone interview.

Just found out I got in this morning, exactly two weeks after my phone interview.

:) Grats~~~!!! :D

TWO weeks? I feel like I'm being tortured waiting on the one week mark!

Thought I would finally join SDN so I could comment on this thread. Officially accepted to the program about a month ago (approx; i cant remember the exact date). Right now Drexel IMS is my number one choice.

Still waiting to hear back from Tulane's One Year Masters in Cellular and Molecular Biology [not sure where I'll go if i get in here] (http://tulane.edu/sse/cmb/msapply.cfm). For the record I was also accepted into Tufts MSB program (declined) but was rejected from Georgetowns SMP [didn't apply to any more]. I was also accepted into some MPH programs in state (Georgia) but decided they're not for me. My stats are as follows.

Took the MCAT twice. Highest is 28R [10V/9P/9B]. Composite high is 29S. Retaking for a third time July 29th (Very depressing way to spend your senior summer) and hoping to break 30. GPA: 3.0 BCMB and 3.45 Regular. I had a semester of straight C's my freshmen year when I (big mistake) chose to take 4 science classes at once. Since then my science GPA has been shot to pieces but it has been all up hill since then. I had one interview at an in-state school but was rejected.

Really looking forward to the IMS program if I end up going (80% chance of attending I'd say due to the June 4th deposit deadline for me). My specific question is what are some good, but relatively cheap, places to live off campus [Looking for specific names so I can google them pleeease]. Also, for you current and previous IMSers would you recommended living on or off campus based on your experiences and what you have observed in your classmates. I want to make a decision that will be best for my grades. Thanks in advance for all your help and also thanks to all the previous IMSers for sharing your experiences above! :)

i just got invited to the phone interview today and am going to have it on thursday. one quick questions, how long did the phone interview last for you guys?

i just got invited to the phone interview today and am going to have it on thursday. one quick questions, how long did the phone interview last for you guys?

They told me it would be about half an hour when it started, but mine was really short-- 15 min.

They told me it would be about half an hour when it started, but mine was really short-- 15 min.

Yea, mine was like 20-25 minutes iirc, but I asked lots of questions. :scared:

Thought I would finally join SDN so I could comment on this thread. Officially accepted to the program about a month ago (approx; i cant remember the exact date). Right now Drexel IMS is my number one choice.

Still waiting to hear back from Tulane's One Year Masters in Cellular and Molecular Biology [not sure where I'll go if i get in here] (http://tulane.edu/sse/cmb/msapply.cfm). For the record I was also accepted into Tufts MSB program (declined) but was rejected from Georgetowns SMP [didn't apply to any more]. I was also accepted into some MPH programs in state (Georgia) but decided they're not for me. My stats are as follows.

Took the MCAT twice. Highest is 28R [10V/9P/9B]. Composite high is 29S. Retaking for a third time July 29th (Very depressing way to spend your senior summer) and hoping to break 30. GPA: 3.0 BCMB and 3.45 Regular. I had a semester of straight C's my freshmen year when I (big mistake) chose to take 4 science classes at once. Since then my science GPA has been shot to pieces but it has been all up hill since then. I had one interview at an in-state school but was rejected.

Really looking forward to the IMS program if I end up going (80% chance of attending I'd say due to the June 4th deposit deadline for me). My specific question is what are some good, but relatively cheap, places to live off campus [Looking for specific names so I can google them pleeease]. Also, for you current and previous IMSers would you recommended living on or off campus based on your experiences and what you have observed in your classmates. I want to make a decision that will be best for my grades. Thanks in advance for all your help and also thanks to all the previous IMSers for sharing your experiences above! :)

If you can afford it I would HIGHLY recommend living in the Packard Motor Car building. It's very pricey for students, but if you have a roommate or a significant other to share the rent with it's not so bad. A number of IMS students, medical students, residents and doctors live in this building. I lived here for IMS and am renewing my lease for my MS1 year at DUCOM.

Thanks USFMedical! Unfortunately I checked online and that place seems to be completely full and it also seems a bit pricey. Any other recommendations?

Also I was perusing the IMS Course Catalog (http://drexel.edu/catalog/certificates/ims.htm) and I had a question about the optional first semester courses. I understand you must complete Medical Immunology and a Research Project if you wish to pursue the M.MS degree after your IMS certificate, but are those courses also required if you wish to get the guaranteed interview that Drexel offers? Also, if you have any experience with those courses, how rigorous are they/do they add a lot of extra work to your already full schedule/do you recommend taking them?

Thanks!

Thanks USFMedical! Unfortunately I checked online and that place seems to be completely full and it also seems a bit pricey. Any other recommendations?

Also I was perusing the IMS Course Catalog (http://drexel.edu/catalog/certificates/ims.htm) and I had a question about the optional first semester courses. I understand you must complete Medical Immunology and a Research Project if you wish to pursue the M.MS degree after your IMS certificate, but are those courses also required if you wish to get the guaranteed interview that Drexel offers? Also, if you have any experience with those courses, how rigorous are they/do they add a lot of extra work to your already full schedule/do you recommend taking them?

Thanks!

One of my good friends from the program lives in Loft 640. It's cheaper than Packard, but still expensive relatively speaking. I would recommend the website 4wallsinphilly.com for a pretty good listing of apartment buildings.

For the guaranteed interview our class was required to take Medical Immunology and Nutrition. Research was not required. I'm not sure if this has changed, but there will be plenty of notice when you get here as these courses don't start until mid-Fall semester.

Nutrition was a neat, but annoying class. The questions can be misleading. However, if you know the material well it won't be a problem. I think my two exam scores were 91 and 96 so the class is doable.

Immunology on the other hand was my toughest course. I would've had a 4.0 in the program were it not for the B in immunology I received. The trick is doing well on the quizzes because there are enough questions between all of them to add up to the same amount of points you'd earn for the first of the two exams in the course. So although I earned above a 90 on both exams I did subpar on the quizzes and it showed.

That brings me to a point of caution: these two courses only have two exams and a few quizzes that make up your grade so you'll want to do well obviously on both exams.

No call today, looks like I'm waiting another week :(

I just had my interview today and found out that admission committee meets every Tuesdays to finalize decisions. So i think decisions come out every Tuesdays. Just wanted to let you know to ease your mind. Hopefully that was helpful.

questions that i were asked outside of the ones listed by op were
how do you balance between school and other activities
what's your support system
they also asked a couple specific questions regarding my academic history (low grade or withdrawals)

hope that'll help people with upcoming interviews!

I just had my interview today and found out that admission committee meets every Tuesdays to finalize decisions. So i think decisions come out every Tuesdays. Just wanted to let you know to ease your mind. Hopefully that was helpful.

questions that i were asked outside of the ones listed by op were
how do you balance between school and other activities
what's your support system
they also asked a couple specific questions regarding my academic history (low grade or withdrawals)

hope that'll help people with upcoming interviews!

I had my interview last Thursday, so I was hoping to hear something back this week - I likely won't be doing summer school if I get into the program, so I'm slightly anxious :D

Good luck to you!!!

USFMedical, How many hours on average a day would you say you studied to maintain that 3.9 (which is very impressive I must say). I know that it is usually the quality of work vs. the amount of time that matters but I was just curious.

USFMedical, How many hours on average a day would you say you studied to maintain that 3.9 (which is very impressive I must say). I know that it is usually the quality of work vs. the amount of time that matters but I was just curious.

Surprisingly not as many as you might think. My first and biggest time saver: don't go to lecture. Watch the video streamed lectures. At home you are able to watch the videos somewhere between 1.5x - 2x the original speed using quicktime depending on how comfortable you are listening to them that fast and who the lecturer is. You get used to it though and most of what they say is in the notes you'll get. On days you have a lot of lecture it shaves off at least an hour, but usually more. If I had to try and stick a number to it I'd say on non-exam weeks I really just watched lectures for a 3-4 hrs/day (give or take an hr or two) and studied maybe an hour two a day. Come closer to exams there will still be lectures and you'll need to study so maybe 8-10 hrs for a few days.

I know it might sound like a lot, but it really isn't. I'm an early riser so I get up around 6:20a every day. I ALWAYS made time for the gym. Usually spent just over an hour there 6-7 days a week. I took my usual nap around noon or 1p under the pretenses that it would aid in memory formation, which it does do. And I'd have the day wrapped up by 8p or 9p, but this is only when exams are looming. So there's plenty of time for you to do other stuff. You just have to make time and know that you can do it.

However, there will be times when you're holed up. That will occur at three times throughout the year: Muscle Weakness/Weight Loss module exams, end of first semester, and February when you will be taking two cumulative finals and other non-cumulative finals. During those times I'd be up at 5a and study until 8p or 9p making time only for the gym, eating and a nap, of course. Some people preferred to do all-nighters for each exam, but I'd rather spread it out a little and get a good night's sleep. I tend to enjoy getting my ZZZs in. Personal preference I suppose. And the better you retain the material now the easier first year will be when you get in.

Hey, I have been a long-time lurker, but thought I'd chime in on this thread. First of all, thanks to everyone who posted interview questions -- I think the only thing they asked that hadn't been mentioned yet was how I prepared for the MCAT. The interview lasted 25 minutes, and would have only been 20 except I asked a few questions at the end. The interviewer was Sara, and she was extremely nice, though it's a bit unnerving because it's less a conversation and more talk-while-they-write-your-answers-down.

I asked what the success rate was for people from IMS to get into DUCOM, and she said she didn't have the exact figures in front of her, but that out of the ~30 students who met the GPA/MCAT requirement, 4 were immediately accepted, and all but 3 of the rest were taken off the waitlist (some just a few days before MS1 orientation). So that was good news.

In terms of the whole application timeline, I had my application in the mail on Tuesday, May 4. I got the postcard saying my application was complete on Thursday, May 13. They called me to schedule an interview on Monday, May 17, which was conducted that Wednesday the 19th. She said the decision would take 1-2 weeks, but I got the congrats call the next Tuesday (25th) right after the ADCOM had met that day.

My only issue now is that the deposit is due on June 15... the day after my Penn interview. I also haven't heard anything from Temple, so I guess I'll just have to swallow the deposit and hope for the best everywhere. :xf: