This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: University of Houston
Major: B.S. Biology
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.8
GRE: 157V 159Q 4.5W

Extra-Curric: Founded a sustainability project at UH, did a semester of diabetes research.

Volunteer: 180 hours 3 settings

Applied: TWU, UNT, Tech, UTSA, Angelo, UTMB, Hardin Simmons, UTSW, TX State, Utep

Rejections:

Interviews: UTMB (9/15), Simmons (9/22-cancelled), UNT (9/29), Tech (10/6-cancelled)

Acceptances: UTMB!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
University: University of Houston
Major: B.S. Biology
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.8
GRE: 157V 159Q 4.5W

Extra-Curric: Founded a sustainability project at UH, did a semester of diabetes research.

Volunteer: 180 hours 3 settings

Applied: TWU, UNT, Tech, UTSA, Angelo, UTMB, Hardin Simmons, UTSW, TX State, Utep

Rejections:

Interviews: UTMB (9/15), Simmons (9/22-cancelled), UNT (9/29), Tech (10/6-cancelled)

Acceptances: UTMB!
Congratulations!! That is awesome news to hear back so soon! When did you hear back about your UNT interview?

Forgot to update, interview 10/7 at UIW, fingers crossed to hear from UT health.

Dragging my feet on finalizing tx state, twu, and utsw applications because I would rather not move out of SA. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged. I've had a ton of friends who have applied to utmb in previous cyles and get waitlisted after interviews only to find out they eventually got in in January. I think they go off a point system and if you're not at the top of their ranking they probably wait for other waves of interviews to see how those applicants stack up with you. Then they go from there. You're stats are bomb.com so just wait for other schools!

Update: got waitlisted at UTMB

Undergrad Texas A&M University: Bachelor's of Science in Nutritional Sciences
Graduate University of Houston: Master's of Science in Exercise & Health Sciences
Pre-req: 3.6
Postbac: 4.0
GRE: 153V 154Q 4.0W
Experience: 3000 hours outpatient as PT tech, 350 inpatient neuro, 40 back-to-work program
This will be my second time applying after being rejected the last cycle.
Applying: Duke, Elon, Wingate, USF, UTMB, UNT, Northwestern, UTHSCSA, UIW, Sacred Heart, University of the Sciences in Philly, Texas Tech
Acceptances: none yet
Waitlists: UTMB
Rejections: none yet
Interviews: UTMB (9/15)

You have a good shot. They're real big on GRE scores and cut offs so you got that down. Your pre req GPA is over their minimum so you'll get your profile looked at. Your hours and experiences are solid also. Hopefully your letters of rec are strong.

I hope so. I had an incident on campus that resulted in a significant GPA drop (police reports and all). Hoping that is taken into consideration. My last several semesters of classes, including organic chemistry and anatomy/physiology are all As. My letters of recommendation are pretty solid, I'll likely be the only civilian with all my letters of recommendation from army officers.

Good luck to you and Army Baylor. I was going to join the Air Force side, but decided to not stay in the military. The big issue is that your cGPA is well below their minimum requirements. If you look at the class numbers the past year, most individuals have a cGPA of 3.7 or higher and 3.79 Pre-req GPA in order to be competitive. You biggest pull is your GRE. I also worked with a graduate from Army Baylor. Did you happen to ask if they know someone who still works there to possibly pull you in for a interview? Also, another thing that makes you stand out is that you shadowed at a military clinic. This and your GRE are the two big factors in your application. Do you have military experience?

Thank you. Why did you choose not to stay in? My biggest concern is my cGPA as well. Do you know if they incorporate repeated classes into the GPA calculations? That would be the difference of a few points for me. I'm not sure what you mean by pulling me in for an interview? And no, I don't have military experience, but I work as a contracted government employee with a large client base of soldiers and their families. I have an ongoing professional relationship with many military personnel.

Hey Perez, you have a lot of insight on the matter of stats! Would you mind helping me out on determining where I stand?

University of Texas at Dallas

Overall: 3.02 ( had a rough first year and a half)

Last 60: 3.87

Avg Pre Req for all schools applying to: 3.75-3.85

GRE: 148 Q, 151V, 4 AW

Hours: 2000 hours in outpatient ortho, 400 hours inpatient peds, and about 500 hours outpatient peds with aquatics involved.

I applied to UNT, Elpaso, TWU, UTSW, TXST, and then a couple schools out of state to increase my chances. Tried to focus on schools that look at last 60 credit hours and pre req rather than cumulative gpa. What do you think? Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
I am getting out because I am older and love my freedom. Currently, I work in the field of communications with the Air Force. After shadowing 3 different Physical Therapists (2 Air Force, 1 Civilian) in a military setting, I found out that a majority of the time you are just evaluating the clients and then passing them off to the PTA's. Being from a back ground of personal training (7 years) and degree in Sports and Health Sciences, I knew a lot more than the PTA's that were working with the clients. The PT's were great, but they didn't get a lot of hands on time with the clients. They are overworked (10-12 hours a day), seeing a different client every 15 to 30 minutes to keep up with the demand of the base. Additionally, when you make O-4 and above, you start to fill positions such as commander and lose time with patients. This is all on top of the additional duties and EPR/OPR's you will be writing for your subordinates.

I am not 100% sure how the calculate the overall GPA with classes that are retaken. However, be advised to apply to the Army if you go ahead and move forward with the plan. The army gets about 15 to 20 slots, Air Force gets 2 to 3, Navy I am not sure about. As an officer you will feel more like an adult than enlisted, however it still feels like a kid's game. There is a lot of crap you have to deal with. People look at Baylor because its essentially free, but you have to serve so many years and put up with a lot of crap. So don't think you will just be serving as a Physical Therapist if you are accepted. I have a 3.8 cGPA and a 4.0 Pre-req with military service. With those numbers I am at the average for the acceptance, but my military service and experience jumps me well ahead of the game. However, I rather go civilian at this point in time.

Be ready for mandatory commanders call, meetings throughout the week, additional duties, writing packages (quarterly/annually), EPR/OPR, etc.. Its not all peaches and cream in the military.

Thank you. Why did you choose not to stay in? My biggest concern is my cGPA as well. Do you know if they incorporate repeated classes into the GPA calculations? That would be the difference of a few points for me. I'm not sure what you mean by pulling me in for an interview? And no, I don't have military experience, but I work as a contracted government employee with a large client base of soldiers and their families. I have an ongoing professional relationship with many military personnel.

I think your app is solid. Your cumulative GPA might hurt you but most schools look at last 60 hours. You're GRE is better than mine. Just make sure you get strong rec letters and mention extra curriculars. I think that's what has gotten me interviews so far, plus my gpa

Hey Perez, you have a lot of insight on the matter of stats! Would you mind helping me out on determining where I stand?

University of Texas at Dallas

Overall: 3.02 ( had a rough first year and a half)

Last 60: 3.87

Avg Pre Req for all schools applying to: 3.75-3.85

GRE: 148 Q, 151V, 4 AW

Hours: 2000 hours in outpatient ortho, 400 hours inpatient peds, and about 500 hours outpatient peds with aquatics involved.

I applied to UNT, Elpaso, TWU, UTSW, TXST, and then a couple schools out of state to increase my chances. Tried to focus on schools that look at last 60 credit hours and pre req rather than cumulative gpa. What do you think? Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
Just a reminder to everyone applying, about 50% of applicants get accepted don't panic you will get in if you are around the national GPA for PT school which is 3.6 and the average for the GRE which is V151 Q151 W 4.0. I am currently a first year DPT student and this process should be yours as far as what school you choose to attend, last year I applied to 5 schools and I was invited to interview with 4 of them but ended up only attending to 3 of them due to financial issues. Until this day I still regret not attending my other interview, so make sure you attend all of the interviews and approach the schools you are invited to interview with an open mind because there are really good schools out there that we as students underestimate due to the "national rankings" and some that are overrated due to those same rankings..
These are some of the things you should look at in-terms of PT school in my opinion:
1) What school of thought do they teach? (i.e. Maitland, Mckenzie institute , NAIOMT, IAOM, Institute of Physical Art, Ola Grimsby Institute,) if you don't know what this means do your research and find out to ask while you at your interview.
2) What is the main focus of the school? (Neuro, Ortho, Pediatrics) if the program tells you they are well rounded on all of the aspects then they are lying to you.. every school has a stronger side to them .
3) Does the Human (Gross) Anatomy class include a Dissection, Pro-section or neither? Let me tell you this will be very important to set the foundation as a future clinician and if you plan to getting your PhD or ScD I would definitely recommend for you to attend a school that has dissections. I have also heard that there are some high technology school that are moving away from dissections and pro-sections in my opinion that will greatly hinder your PT education, because there is nothing that will substitute the experience of you exploring the human body during the dissection.
4) Are the faculty practicing clinicians, how many years of PT practice do they have under their belt? Nothing will be more frustrating than to have a faculty member tell you they have no time to be in open lab with you because they are doing research... Two of the schools I had interviews at had some professors that were "walking textbooks" they seemed to have never interacted with real clinical situations which will be very frustrating the day you graduate as a PT.

Know what you're getting yourself into, if you want to be a Great Clinician your professors better have clinical experience not just certification initial after their name.
Good luck choosing schools and if you have any questions let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
For those that interviewed at UTMB, would you mind sharing how it went?

- what kinds of questions did they ask and how should I prepare?

Coming from a 2nd year PT student at UTMB, it's a very laid back 20 minute interview with a professor. They ask typical questions about direct access and the apta. Other questions included my strengths, who has had the biggest influence on me throughout the process of getting into pt school, how do I cope with myself when confronted with difficult situations, etc. At the end of the interview, they'll ask you if you have any questions for them. Be sure to have a couple really good questions to ask them! I think this is where I really stood out during my interview. Just relax and be yourself! All they want to see your passion for the field and your ability to communicate clearly. There's also a panel with a 2nd year student and ~10 other interviewees where you're presented with a scenario and have to discuss it openly.

Thanks for the helpful info! Got my interview Nov 3rd!

Coming from a 2nd year PT student at UTMB, it's a very laid back 20 minute interview with a professor. They ask typical questions about direct access and the apta. Other questions included my strengths, who has had the biggest influence on me throughout the process of getting into pt school, how do I cope with myself when confronted with difficult situations, etc. At the end of the interview, they'll ask you if you have any questions for them. Be sure to have a couple really good questions to ask them! I think this is where I really stood out during my interview. Just relax and be yourself! All they want to see your passion for the field and your ability to communicate clearly. There's also a panel with a 2nd year student and ~10 other interviewees where you're presented with a scenario and have to discuss it openly.

Members don't see this ad :)
University: Houston Baptist University
Major: B.S. in Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.48
Last 60 GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7
GRE: 153V 156Q 4.0W

Extra Curricular: D1 Student Athlete(football), Rehab Technician at an Acute Care hospital. 1000+ tech hours, 70 tech hours in a trauma center, 145 hours shadowing in outpatient ortho/sports medicine.

Applied: TWU, UNT, Tech, Angelo, UTMB, TX State, UIW, UFL

Interviews: UTMB (11/3) Tech(10/20) Angelo(11/18) TX State (12/4) UIW (11/4)

Acceptances: UIW, Tech, UTMB, TWU(Hou)

Rejections: UNT, TxState, ASU

Waitlisted: UTMB, TWU, UFL

Attending: TWU-Hou

Last edited:

They did not ask me anything about APTA or direct access. But they did ask me about my strengths and weaknesses, why I wanted to go to UTMB and pursue PT, typical questions like that. It was not a very long interview and it was real laid back. There is a student led discussion, a writing portion, and then a tour. Good luck to you, I am sure it will go great! :)

West Texas A&M University
Major: Athletic Training
Overall GPA: 3.73
Last 60: 3.88
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3
GRE: 148V 149Q 3.0W

Extra-Curric: Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Athletic Training Student Association (i did a lot of volunteer work around the community with these groups), Student Athletic Trainer

Volunteer: over 600 hours 3 settings

Job: I've worked at several different physical therapy clinics, and i have a job at Children's Health Sports medicine as an outreach athletic trainer

Applied: TWU, UNT, UTMB, TX State, Southwest Baptist Missouri, Bellarmine, OU

I understand my GRE score is really low, and i'm worried that will hurt my application. I had my application verified Sept 4, and have not heard from anyone yet

West Texas A&M University
Major: Athletic Training
Overall GPA: 3.73
Last 60: 3.88
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3
GRE: 148V 149Q 3.0W

Extra-Curric: Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Athletic Training Student Association (i did a lot of volunteer work around the community with these groups), Student Athletic Trainer

Volunteer: over 600 hours 3 settings

Job: I've worked at several different physical therapy clinics, and i have a job at Children's Health Sports medicine as an outreach athletic trainer

Applied: TWU, UNT, UTMB, TX State, Southwest Baptist Missouri, Bellarmine, OU

I understand my GRE score is really low, and i'm worried that will hurt my application. I had my application verified Sept 4, and have not heard from anyone yet

You shouldnt worry about your GRE Scores. Your GPA looks decent and you have alot of extra curricular and volunteer hours. I think you will be called in for interviews. You just have to do AMAZING on your interview and catch their attention. Make sure they rmbr you. UNT started their interviews 2 weeks ago, and as far as UTMB goes, I have read on this forum that a lot of people have already been accepted and wait-listed there. I am crossing my fingers for you! I hope you get in this cycle! Keep us updated :D

Just got back from my Tech interview, it went so well! If y’all have any questions about it lemme know and I’ll provide some insight!

Just got back from my Tech interview, it went so well! If y’all have any questions about it lemme know and I’ll provide some insight!

I just got invited to interview for Tech!! How is it structured? Any advice? Congrats btw!

I just got invited to interview for Tech!! How is it structured? Any advice? Congrats btw!

What campus did you get an interview to? Congrats!
& there’s an intro part where they introduce the program and profs, ask you to fill out some papers and what campus you prefer... then they separate you into 3 groups. One interviews, another tours and the other chills in the waiting room (well at the Odessa campus at least). The Odessa campus tour has no point to it because they’re building a new health science center right across the street that will be ready when we get there (if admitted).
The interview was so relaxed, they asked general questions. I got questions like tell me about yourself.. what’s one thing you like about PT and what you don’t like... who’s a PT who’s made an impact in your life or a patient.. a challenge you over came and how.. tell me about a time you took constructive criticism and they asked me a tough one like “you’re in your clinical rotation and the instructor yells to you across the room that you’re doing it wrong right in front of your patient. What would you do?” I feel like she loved my responses.. it was real conversational too. Ask questions!

What campus did you get an interview to? Congrats!
& there’s an intro part where they introduce the program and profs, ask you to fill out some papers and what campus you prefer... then they separate you into 3 groups. One interviews, another tours and the other chills in the waiting room (well at the Odessa campus at least). The Odessa campus tour has no point to it because they’re building a new health science center right across the street that will be ready when we get there (if admitted).
The interview was so relaxed, they asked general questions. I got questions like tell me about yourself.. what’s one thing you like about PT and what you don’t like... who’s a PT who’s made an impact in your life or a patient.. a challenge you over came and how.. tell me about a time you took constructive criticism and they asked me a tough one like “you’re in your clinical rotation and the instructor yells to you across the room that you’re doing it wrong right in front of your patient. What would you do?” I feel like she loved my responses.. it was real conversational too. Ask questions!

Thank you sooo much for the insight. I got an interview to the Lubbock campus! That sounds exactly like the UNT interview I had. I'm looking forward to this one! Do you thinking picking a campus preference has an impact on if we're admitted? I chose no preference on the PTCAS app, but I think I'd wanna go to Lubbock!

Also, have you interviewed with UTMB yet? That one's coming quick and I'm so nervous about the essay portion!

I honestly don’t know. I think they interview you at where they want to put you even though they say they don’t.. because I know people who put Lubbock as their preference and got interviews there and the same with odessa. If you put anywhere then they might just put you anywhere. I picked Odessa and got interviewed there.
& I haven’t, I interview there Nov 3rd. I heard the essay portion is a situation based problem. Like what would you do if you have a test and a friends wedding on the same day, or like an ethical question.

Thank you sooo much for the insight. I got an interview to the Lubbock campus! That sounds exactly like the UNT interview I had. I'm looking forward to this one! Do you thinking picking a campus preference has an impact on if we're admitted? I chose no preference on the PTCAS app, but I think I'd wanna go to Lubbock!

Also, have you interviewed with UTMB yet? That one's coming quick and I'm so nervous about the essay portion!

I honestly don’t know. I think they interview you at where they want to put you even though they say they don’t.. because I know people who put Lubbock as their preference and got interviews there and the same with odessa. If you put anywhere then they might just put you anywhere. I picked Odessa and got interviewed there.
& I haven’t, I interview there Nov 3rd. I heard the essay portion is a situation based problem. Like what would you do if you have a test and a friends wedding on the same day, or like an ethical question.

That's so interesting. Thanks so much for all the info!! Good luck at the UTMB interview. I'm rooting for us!

So I called UTHSCSA and they said they already conducted the early interviews?

Really?? :( I’ve been waiting to hear from them

Maybe the lady I talked to heard wrong when she asked for what program I was asking for bc no one I know has gotten anything from them.

Hey everyone! I am a first year DPT student at TTUHSC so if there are any questions about the application/interview process let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I am a first year DPT student at TTUHSC so if there are any questions about the application/interview process let me know!

I interviewed last Friday in Odessa.. how fast did you hear back?

I interviewed last Friday in Odessa.. how fast did you hear back?
I found out about two weeks later, but mine was later on in the cycle in November. I was also waitlisted and didn't get in till about March.

I found out about two weeks later, but mine was later on in the cycle in November. I was also waitlisted and didn't get in till about March.
I also applied to UNT, UTSW, UTMB, UTEP, Chapman, and UCF.
Interviewed at Tech and UTMB, and got into Tech and UTEP. Was on the top 100 waitlist at UTMB. Just for reference and any other questions needed!

I'm a Lubbock campus student, and first you'll meet first years and chat and then you'll have a presentation from the program director and associated faculty. Then you get a tour of the facilities/the ones being built and the HSC as well as do your interview with a faculty member that is about 20 minutes long. After you can stay and chat about PT school with more first years or you're free to leave! It's a very smooth process.

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm a Lubbock campus student, and first you'll meet first years and chat and then you'll have a presentation from the program director and associated faculty. Then you get a tour of the facilities/the ones being built and the HSC as well as do your interview with a faculty member that is about 20 minutes long. After you can stay and chat about PT school with more first years or you're free to leave! It's a very smooth process.

Hey, I just received an interview for UNTHSC. Does anyone have any insight on the interview process?

Hey, I just received an interview for UNTHSC. Does anyone have any insight on the interview process?

One of my friends interviewed there this Monday and she said it was structured like Tech’s. I provided some info on how tech’s was earlier on this forum post if you wanna go to take a look. She said it was real relaxed and conversational.
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

One of my friends interviewed there this Monday and she said it was structured like Tech’s. I provided some info on how tech’s was earlier on this forum post if you wanna go to take a look. She said it was real relaxed and conversational.
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Awesome, that helps me out a lot!

Sure.
Major: Sports and Exercise Sciences
Hours: 1,000 outpatient, 65 geriatric, 52 inpatient
GRE: 149Q, 152V, 4W
Applied: Belmont, TWU, Texas state, UNT, Texas Tech, UMHB, Hardin Simmons, OU

Interviews: UNT (10/20), UMHB (9/28), Hardin Simmons (9/22), Tech (10/6)

Accepted: UMHB (10/5)

Denied: withdrew application from Belmont

My friend just got an interview to UTHSCSA for early decision!

Hi, has anyone that interviewed at Texas Tech and heard back?

Hi, has anyone that interviewed at Texas Tech and heard back?

I haven’t heard back. I think it’s too soon. Maybe a week or two more. I know they have another batch of interviews next week.

Hey everyone, has anyone interviewed at Hardin Simmons & heard back yet?

UPDATE:

cGPA (PTCAS): 3.49 (Includes 3 F's for the same 0 level math class from when I was 18, every school I spoke to pulls these which leaves my cumulative at 3.71)
pGPA: 3.98
Last 60 GPA: 3.98
math/science: 3.98

GRE: 161V, 158Q, 5.0 AWA

Hours: 240 total, 40 each in large outpatient ortho, privately owned outpatient ortho, inpatient adult acute, inpatient pediatric acute, inpatient sub acute neuro, outpatient pediatric neurodevelopmental

Volunteer: 138 hours hospice, 1100 community development open mic event (founder, director), 1200 hours for various dog rescue organizations

Other: Decade of experience in large format retail management, development of director level position at corporate office. Directly responsible for P&L of $12 million annual sales plan and 55 employees. Decided I hated it and went back to school.

Applied to: UT Health SA, UIW, USA, Texas State (Waiting to finalize UNT and UTSW)

Interviews: UIW (10/7), UT Health SA (11/4)

Acceptance: None yet

Wait list: None yet

Rejections: None yet

University: Houston Baptist University
Major: B.S. in Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.45
Last 60 GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7
GRE: 153V 156Q 4.0W

Extra Curricular: D1 Student Athlete(football), Rehab Technician at an Acute Care hospital. 1000+ tech hours, 70 tech hours in a trauma center, 145 hours shadowing in outpatient ortho/sports medicine.

Applied: TWU, UNT, Tech, Angelo, UTMB, UTSW, TX State, UTEP, UIW, UFL

Interviews: UTMB (11/3)

What do you guys think my chances are? It is my first time applying.
Update: Interviews: UTMB, TxTech (Amarillo) and San Angelo

UPDATE:

cGPA (PTCAS): 3.49 (Includes 3 F's for the same 0 level math class from when I was 18, every school I spoke to pulls these which leaves my cumulative at 3.71)
pGPA: 3.98
Last 60 GPA: 3.98
math/science: 3.98

GRE: 161V, 158Q, 5.0 AWA

Hours: 240 total, 40 each in large outpatient ortho, privately owned outpatient ortho, inpatient adult acute, inpatient pediatric acute, inpatient sub acute neuro, outpatient pediatric neurodevelopmental

Volunteer: 138 hours hospice, 1100 community development open mic event (founder, director), 1200 hours for various dog rescue organizations

Other: Decade of experience in large format retail management, development of director level position at corporate office. Directly responsible for P&L of $12 million annual sales plan and 55 employees. Decided I hated it and went back to school.

Applied to: UT Health SA, UIW, USA, Texas State (Waiting to finalize UNT and UTSW)

Interviews: UIW (10/7), UT Health SA (11/4)

Acceptance: None yet

Wait list: None yet

Rejections: None yet

Congrats!!! When did you recieve that email to interview at UTHSCSA?

I got the email on Wednesday around 3pm, I got in with the smaller priority deadline group. If I am just hearing at this point for the first round they are doing I suspect it wont be for a bit longer until they reach out for next round.
Congrats!!! When did you recieve that email to interview at UTHSCSA?

Nice! I’ll be seeing you at the utmb interview! When did you recieve the San Angelo interview?
Yes, I will see you there! I received the email on Tuesday for Nov. 18th.

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?
I had a 3.7 cGPA, 3.3 pre-req GPA, about 800 hours of observation/tech experience in outpatient and inpatient pediatrics as well as outpatient ortho, GRE: 150 math, 152 verbal, 5 AW, and I was pretty involved in undergrad and had some leadership positions as well.

Last edited:
Texas state probably wont be reaching out for a bit, they said they are only doing 1 round of interviews and the deadline was Oct 1.