This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perez6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I saw that previous students had similar threads like this for previous years so I thought I'd start one for the 17-18 year. Ill start off with my stats and schools I am applying to then I have a couple of questions.

Texas State University
Overall: 3.82
Last 60: 3.78
Avg Pre Req for all schools applying to: 3.74-3.8
GRE: 150 Q, 150 V, 3 AW

Schools: TXST, UTHSCSA, UNT, TTUHSC, UTMB, and Angelo State

Hours: 600+ (inpatient, peds, outpatient, ortho, neuro, wound care, geriatrics and still have 200 more hours to do at an internship) I have a PT tech job/student worker at the school's dpt clinic as well.

EC's: I'm involved in our Pre-Physical Therapy Org, I was the secretary last year and VP this year. Thru the org I have been able to volunteer at numerous events. I was also a Research Assistant for the athletic training department here.

Jobs (past and present): Supplemental Instructor for A&P, PT tech, A&P Lab instructor, daycare coach, wileyPLUS student partner.

Honors & Awards: deans list, full ride scholarship for this coming year, presidents award (Community college)

INTERVIEWS: UTMB (12/8, declined interview), Texas Tech (10/6), UTHSCSA (11/3), Texas State (12/4)

ACCEPTED: Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY

REJECTED: UNT, Angelo State

WAITLIST:

Attending: TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
TWU always seems like they just look at GPA... So its tough to say.

I started this same thread a few days back but got no traction, but lets see if this one sticks.

cGPA (PTCAS): 3.49 (Includes 3 F's for the same 0 level math class from when I was 18, every school I spoke to pulls these which leaves my cumulative at 3.71)
pGPA: 3.98
Last 60 GPA: 3.98
math/science: 3.98

GRE: 161V, 158Q, 5.0 AWA

Hours: 240 total, 40 each in large outpatient ortho, privately owned outpatient ortho, inpatient adult acute, inpatient pediatric acute, inpatient sub acute neuro, outpatient pediatric neurodevelopmental

Volunteer: 138 hours hospice, 1100 community development open mic event (founder, director), 1200 hours for various dog rescue organizations

Other: Decade of experience in large format retail management, development of director level position at corporate office. Directly responsible for P&L of $12 million annual sales plan and 55 employees. Decided I hated it and went back to school.

Applied to: UT Health SA, UIW, USA, TWU, Texas State, UTSW, UNT

I'm pretty sure you're a shoe in to a lot of schools! Where did you do your undergrad?
The only thing I'm worried about my app is my GRE score :/

TWU always seems like they just look at GPA... So its tough to say.

I started this same thread a few days back but got no traction, but lets see if this one sticks.

cGPA (PTCAS): 3.49 (Includes 3 F's for the same 0 level math class from when I was 18, every school I spoke to pulls these which leaves my cumulative at 3.71)
pGPA: 3.98
Last 60 GPA: 3.98
math/science: 3.98

GRE: 161V, 158Q, 5.0 AWA

Hours: 240 total, 40 each in large outpatient ortho, privately owned outpatient ortho, inpatient adult acute, inpatient pediatric acute, inpatient sub acute neuro, outpatient pediatric neurodevelopmental

Volunteer: 138 hours hospice, 1100 community development open mic event (founder, director), 1200 hours for various dog rescue organizations

Other: Decade of experience in large format retail management, development of director level position at corporate office. Directly responsible for P&L of $12 million annual sales plan and 55 employees. Decided I hated it and went back to school.

Applied to: UT Health SA, UIW, USA, TWU, Texas State, UTSW, UNT

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad at UTSA. Program is decent though its not really that difficult.

Everything but your GRE looks really solid, what did you use to prep/how did you prep for the GRE?

I used Princeton review and a lot of YouTube videos for the math part and magoosh. I thought I was well prepared but apperenrtly I wasn't. I already retook it and only improved one point on the verbal. So I said the heck with it. If I don't get in anywhere ill study for it longer (I only studied a month or so for it). Hopefully everything else my app can outweigh that. What did you use to study for the GRE?

Undergrad at UTSA. Program is decent though its not really that difficult.

Everything but your GRE looks really solid, what did you use to prep/how did you prep for the GRE?

University of North Texas
B.S. Kinesiology(2015)
cGPA (PTCAS): 3.24(have some bad semesters from when I first started school as a Computer Engineering Major)
pGPA: 3.3-3.6(depends on school)

GRE: 155V, 151Q, 4.0AWA

Applied to: UNT, TWU, Indiana State University, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, UTEP, Texas State, Angelo State, Elon

Hours: 1000+ outpatient ortho(working as tech) 20 in outpatient sports medicine clinic, 50 hours in SNF

EC: Member of UNT football team 2011-2015

Jobs: Player and Practice squad member of Atlanta Falcons (2015), Player and practice squad of Dallas Cowboys(2015-2016), PT Tech, Vitamin Shoppe health enthusiast, Academy Sports and Outdoors cashier

Volunteer: various community service events worked with teams that I have been on

Honors & Awards: Deans List, President's List, First Team All Conference USA Linebacker

You definitely have a great shot at getting in. Being a D1 athlete and maintaining a good GPA with good GRE scores sure does look great. Along with your hours and previous jobs. You'll stand out

University of North Texas
B.S. Kinesiology(2015)
cGPA (PTCAS): 3.24(have some bad semesters from when I first started school as a Computer Engineering Major)
pGPA: 3.3-3.6(depends on school)

GRE: 155V, 151Q, 4.0AWA

Applied to: UNT, TWU, Indiana State University, Texas Tech, UTHSCSA, UTEP, Texas State, Angelo State, Elon

Hours: 1000+ outpatient ortho(working as tech) 20 in outpatient sports medicine clinic, 50 hours in SNF

EC: Member of UNT football team 2011-2015

Jobs: Player and Practice squad member of Atlanta Falcons (2015), Player and practice squad of Dallas Cowboys(2015-2016), PT Tech, Vitamin Shoppe health enthusiast, Academy Sports and Outdoors cashier

Volunteer: various community service events worked with teams that I have been on

Honors & Awards: Deans List, President's List, First Team All Conference USA Linebacker

I used magoosh as well, but had a different approach. I started reading the economist and some other wordy literature about 8 months prior to taking the GRE, and started randomly using the magoosh vocab flash cards. for the 3 weeks before the GRE i spent about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week studying. With the verbal section I kept a quizlet set and added any word I did not know along with its definition. With any math question I was unfamiliar with I would take the time to work it out on paper along with the video explanation.
I took 3 practice tests total, and wrote 2 practice essays.
For the essays I used both the free kaplan plans on their webpage and watched the magoosh videos.

I know UT Health "doesnt look at GRE" (or so they say), and a few other programs might be in a similar boat.

Good luck!

That's a great GRE study plan. I'm graduating a year early from undergrad so I guess I kinda rushed and didn't prepare well enough. But thanks! I made sure to apply to schools that don't really look at the GRE as heavy and called to make sure. So hopefully all goes well. Goodluck to you as well!!

I used magoosh as well, but had a different approach. I started reading the economist and some other wordy literature about 8 months prior to taking the GRE, and started randomly using the magoosh vocab flash cards. for the 3 weeks before the GRE i spent about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week studying. With the verbal section I kept a quizlet set and added any word I did not know along with its definition. With any math question I was unfamiliar with I would take the time to work it out on paper along with the video explanation.
I took 3 practice tests total, and wrote 2 practice essays.
For the essays I used both the free kaplan plans on their webpage and watched the magoosh videos.

I know UT Health "doesnt look at GRE" (or so they say), and a few other programs might be in a similar boat.

Good luck!

University of Texas at Austin c/o 2017
Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences
cGPA: 3.90
pGPA: around 3.8 (depending on school)
GRE to be taken 8/24: *hoping for average scores*

Observation hours:
220 at an acute rehabilitation hospital
500+ outpatient ortho (currently a tech there)
16 pediatric setting

Extracurriculars:
Texas Kinesiology Club member
Texas Pre-PT Organization member
Church Involvement
College Scholar (top 20% in my graduating class)
University Honors every semester

Employment:
Student Assistant at with Texas Athletics (Sports Medicine)
Student Mentor with the University of Texas

Rec Letters:
2 PTs and 1 Pre-PT advisor

Applied to TWU (first choice), UTHSC-SA, UNTHSC, TTU, UTSouthwestern, UTMB

What do you guys think my chances are? I'm very nervous! Already submitted my apps and PTCAS has verified everything.

You have a good shot. Try to score high on the GRE for TWU though. I was told to retake it when I called them couple months ago asking about my chances

University of Texas at Austin c/o 2017
Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences
cGPA: 3.90
pGPA: around 3.8 (depending on school)
GRE to be taken 8/24: *hoping for average scores*

Observation hours:
220 at an acute rehabilitation hospital
500+ outpatient ortho (currently a tech there)
16 pediatric setting

Extracurriculars:
Texas Kinesiology Club member
Texas Pre-PT Organization member
Church Involvement
College Scholar (top 20% in my graduating class)
University Honors every semester

Employment:
Student Assistant at with Texas Athletics (Sports Medicine)
Student Mentor with the University of Texas

Rec Letters:
2 PTs and 1 Pre-PT advisor

Applied to TWU (first choice), UTHSC-SA, UNTHSC, TTU, UTSouthwestern, UTMB

What do you guys think my chances are? I'm very nervous! Already submitted my apps and PTCAS has verified everything.

Hey guys! Here are my stats!

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.88
Science & Math GPA: 3.91
GRE: 152V 151Q 4A

Observation Hours: 51 outpatient pediatric clinic, 84 inpatient rehabilitation hospital/acute care facility

LOR: Physical Therapist (x2), Employer, Hospital Administrator

Extra-Curriculars: University Rehab Club, 2 organizations that hold events for children with disabilities and their families, association for promoting health care to low income areas, Special Olympics, employed as a Pharmacy Technician (I have this job because it pays really well and I graduated high school with this certificate!)

Honors/Awards: President's List, Dean's List, Scholars Scholarship Award

Applying to: UTMB, UTHSCSA, Texas State, and TWU

Interviews: UTMB (09/15)
Accepted: UTMB (09/19)

I HAVE DECIDED TO FOR SURE GO TO UTMB!!!!

It is my first choice and I am so grateful to have gotten in!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you already got an interview somewhere your chances are real good! Start prepping for the interview. Where did you do/ or are doing your undergrad?
My friend got an interview at utmb also.
Congrats!

Hey guys! Was hoping I can get some insight if you all think I have a chance of getting into PT school.

Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.88
Science & Math GPA: 3.91
GRE: 152V 151Q 4A

Observation Hours: 51 outpatient pediatric clinic, 84 inpatient rehabilitation hospital/acute care facility

LOR: Physical Therapist (x2), Employer, Hospital Administrator

Extra-Curriculars: University Rehab Club, 2 organizations that hold events for children with disabilities and their families, association for promoting health care to low income areas, Special Olympics, employed as a Pharmacy Technician (I have this job because it pays really well and I graduated high school with this certificate!)

Honors/Awards: President's List, Dean's List, Scholars Scholarship Award

Applying to: UTMB, UTHSCSA, Texas State, and TWU

Interviews: UTMB (09/15)

Any advice or comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB already interviewing? Crazy.

UTHSCSA said they will likely reach out mid september for interviews that made priority deadline, same with UIW.
The rest are on a normal schedule as far as i know.

And congrats, good luck!

Based on last year, I also heard early from UNT for a September interview and heard back with an acceptance fromTWU and UNT in mid October I think. Priority interview for UTHSCSA wasn't until November. Hope that helps with timeframes.

Where did you end up going and what were your stats if you dont mind sharing?

UTMB already interviewing? Crazy.

UTHSCSA said they will likely reach out mid september for interviews that made priority deadline, same with UIW.
The rest are on a normal schedule as far as i know.

And congrats, good luck!
UTMB has rolling admissions, so they accept people throughout the entire application period instead of waiting for the application period to close.

Reactions: 1 users
I ended up going to University of Florida. My GPAs were pretty high, all above a 3.9, but my GREs were pretty mediocre. I had lots of varied experience and wrote a decent essay (I think). I got into the four Texas schools I applied to as well as several other schools. I had a couple of schools where I turned down the interview.

Well if you already got an interview somewhere your chances are real good! Start prepping for the interview. Where did you do/ or are doing your undergrad?
My friend got an interview at utmb also.
Congrats!
I am at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. And I am just really nervous on the interview. I am not really sure on how to prep for it :(

Hey I'm from the valley!
And UTRGV should have a career center where you can practice interviews.

I am at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. And I am just really nervous on the interview. I am not really sure on how to prep for it :(

Hey I'm from the valley!
you said you studied for the gre for about a month, how many hours and days did you put in for that 4 week span?

About a normal workday. In the first half of the month I would wake up at 8 and read over strategies and watch videos until 4. One it got to about 2 weeks till the test I started taking practice test every day

you said you studied for the gre for about a month, how many hours and days did you put in for that 4 week span?

that should of been enough time to raise your scores higher than that, you might want to take a class. if you actually put that much work in

If I don't get into a school my first time around thats what I'm gonna do. I'm graduating this spring and a year early. So I can always retake it then and apply since PTCAS opens up right away.
Have you gotten into PT school?

that should of been enough time to raise your scores higher than that, you might want to take a class. if you actually put that much work in

not yet! actually i havnt taken the gre and only have had a month to prepare, but i literally just study all day from it. good luck on your endeavors!

Just got an interview invite for UTMB. I applied as a non-ED applicant and my app was verified on 7/24

Congrats! What were your stats?
Did they call today?

They sent me an email today.

Undergrad Texas A&M University: Bachelor's of Science in Nutritional Sciences
Graduate University of Houston: Master's of Science in Exercise & Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req: 3.6
Postbac: 4.0
GRE: 153V 154Q 4.0W
Experience: 3000 hours outpatient as PT tech, 350 inpatient neuro, 40 back-to-work program
This will be my second time applying after being rejected the last cycle.
Applying: Duke, Elon, Wingate, USF, UTMB, UNT, Northwestern, UTHSCSA, UIW, Sacred Heart, University of the Sciences in Philly, Texas Tech
Acceptances: none yet
Rejections: none yet
Interviews: UTMB (9/15)

I just got an interview for the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor in Belton, TX. I am from California. Anyone else get an interview this date or the 29th of September? In addition, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the school or area?

Hey I'm from the valley!
Thanks I'll look into it!

They sent me an email today.

Graduate University of Houston: Master's of Science in Exercise & Health Sciences
Experience: 3000 hours outpatient as PT tech, 350 inpatient neuro, 40 back-to-work program
Applying: Duke, Elon, Wingate, USF, UTMB, UNT, Northwestern, UTHSCSA, UIW, Sacred Heart, University of the Sciences in Philly, Texas Tech
If you don't mind me asking, did UTMB not accept you last cycle? It's my number 1 choice and I think your stats are really good! I'm surprised you didn't get in

If you don't mind me asking, did UTMB not accept you last cycle? It's my number 1 choice and I think your stats are really good! I'm surprised you didn't get it

I was actually denied from all 8 schools I applied to last cycle, including UTMB. I went back and got a lot more hours in different settings. Plus, I know my recommendation letters were really good this time.

Hey congrats! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Mary Hardin Baylor is kinda up the road from Austin. Small town. Shouldn't have many distractions. The school is not accredited yet so if you get accepted and they don't get accredited so there will be a risk going there. However, I heard from them that they should be accredited this winter. I also heard that a lot of students aren't passing their boards from a friend that attends UMHB. I'm hesitant on applying there bc of how much the tuition is. 85K.

I just got an interview for the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor in Belton, TX. I am from California. Anyone else get an interview this date or the 29th of September? In addition, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the school or area?

Congrats on getting an interview :) I am considering applying to this school and was wondering if you would share your stats?

Perez6: Thanks for the information. Very useful, I am flying in from Austin and driving up to Belton for my interview.
ids2: I'd like to keep my stats to myself for now thanks. Good Luck in Applications!

Hey guys! Hopping on to this thread to see what my chances look like. Please let me know what you guys think!

University of Texas at Dallas

Overall: 3.02 ( had a rough first year and a half)

Last 60: 3.87

Avg Pre Req for all schools applying to: 3.75-3.85

GRE: 148 Q, 151V, 4 AW

Schools: UNT, TWU, TXST and UTEP in Texas, and a couple out of state as well.

Hours: 2000 hours in outpatient ortho, 400 hours inpatient peds, and about 500 hours outpatient peds with aquatics involved.

I know I have a low cumulative gpa but I made sure to apply to schools that focus on your last 60 hours and pre req gpa mainly. Any insight or advice would be helpful! Thanks guys!

I got an interview to UTMB!

Texas A&M University, BS in psych

Cum- 3.67
Last 60- 3.95
Pre req- ~3.7

GRE- 159 verbal, 163 quant, 4.5 AW

Hours- 40 inpatient, 30 outpatient hand therapy, 200 in assorted outpatient, current job as tech full time

Applied: UNT, UTSW, TWU, UTMB, ASU, UTSA, Tech
Interviews: UTMB, Tech

When are you going to the interview for UTMB? Idk when I should go.
And when did tech let you know?

Congrats!

Texas A&M University, BS in psych

Cum- 3.67
Last 60- 3.95
Pre req- ~3.7

GRE- 159 verbal, 163 quant, 4.5 AW

Hours- 40 inpatient, 30 outpatient hand therapy, 200 in assorted outpatient, current job as tech full time

Applied: UNT, UTSW, TWU, UTMB, ASU, UTSA, Tech
Interviews: UTMB, Tech

Congrats on those that already got interview invites!
When I applied last cycle UTMB was the first school I heard back from in terms of interviews, I remember I was ecstatic :)

I'm a first year DPT student at Texas State, so if you have any questions about PT school, applications or interviews let me know :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! How was the interview for utmb? I'm going in November because they let me know real late for this Friday's wave.

I'm an undergrad at txstate. I work down at the PT Clinic on the first floor! Idk if you know about it.

Congrats on those that already got interview invites!
When I applied last cycle UTMB was the first school I heard back from in terms of interviews, I remember I was ecstatic :)

I'm a first year DPT student at Texas State, so if you have any questions about PT school, applications or interviews let me know :)

Thanks! How was the interview for utmb? I'm going in November because they let me know real late for this Friday's wave.

I'm an undergrad at txstate. I work down at the PT Clinic on the first floor! Idk if you know about it.

Hi Bobcat! :) I might see you next week at the Pre-PT meeting, I'll be in the student panel!

I really really liked my UTMB interview, it made me enjoy the school even more and it actually was my number 2 choice!
I attended the 2nd interview date (I opened the email on my phone the minute I received it, was so ecstatic I called everyone I knew, spent hours on the phone, by the time I actually replied to the email, the first date was full ahah) which I believe was in early November. We had a presentation of the school, then the actual individual interview, and after that we had a panel where we were in a group of about 8 applicants with one DPT student and we went over 2 cases and discussed our opinions about it. It wasn't diagnostic cases, it was more like student life cases. I'm not sure how much that part of the interview process weighted, but I don't think it was much since no faculty was present, only a DPT student. The way I'm describing it it sounds really scary, but it was actually really fun!
We also had a tour of the university.
I really liked that UTMB has the free St Vincent clinic! Out of the 5 schools I applied to, they were also the quickest to reply. I interviewed there on a Friday, and got accepted the Tuesday after.

* When you go to interviews and ask DPT students when you will hear back, you usually get an answer like "around New Year's", etc. In reality, it really depends! Unless the school has a specific day on which they let people know (like Texas State), you could hear back really early, or a little bit later :)

Thank you so much for your information! Super helpful. I'm probably gonna be asking a lot of questions at our meeting lol.

& yeah I will! I'm the VP for the org. Dr. Spivey was telling us he secured students to come talk to us, glad to know you're one of them!

Hi Bobcat! :) I might see you next week at the Pre-PT meeting, I'll be in the student panel!

I really really liked my UTMB interview, it made me enjoy the school even more and it actually was my number 2 choice!
I attended the 2nd interview date (I opened the email on my phone the minute I received it, was so ecstatic I called everyone I knew, spent hours on the phone, by the time I actually replied to the email, the first date was full ahah) which I believe was in early November. We had a presentation of the school, then the actual individual interview, and after that we had a panel where we were in a group of about 8 applicants with one DPT student and we went over 2 cases and discussed our opinions about it. It wasn't diagnostic cases, it was more like student life cases. I'm not sure how much that part of the interview process weighted, but I don't think it was much since no faculty was present, only a DPT student. The way I'm describing it it sounds really scary, but it was actually really fun!
We also had a tour of the university.
I really liked that UTMB has the free St Vincent clinic! Out of the 5 schools I applied to, they were also the quickest to reply. I interviewed there on a Friday, and got accepted the Tuesday after.

* When you go to interviews and ask DPT students when you will hear back, you usually get an answer like "around New Year's", etc. In reality, it really depends! Unless the school has a specific day on which they let people know (like Texas State), you could hear back really early, or a little bit later :)

Got an interview at Tech!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, curious to know what y'all think.

Bachelor's Degree in Biology
cGPA: ~2.90
Pre-req GPA: ~3.44-3.50
GRE: 160V 155Q 4.5AW
Hours: 112 @ military clinic
LORs: 1 military PT (graduated from Army Baylor) // 1 MG // 1 LTC // 1 Anat/Physio professor prior service
Experience: 6 years as a trainer, 4 years general management

Applying to Army Baylor

You have a good shot. They're real big on GRE scores and cut offs so you got that down. Your pre req GPA is over their minimum so you'll get your profile looked at. Your hours and experiences are solid also. Hopefully your letters of rec are strong.

LORs: 1 military PT (graduated from Army Baylor) // 1 MG // 1 LTC // 1 Anat/Physio professor prior service

Applying to Army Baylor

Good luck to you and Army Baylor. I was going to join the Air Force side, but decided to not stay in the military. The big issue is that your cGPA is well below their minimum requirements. If you look at the class numbers the past year, most individuals have a cGPA of 3.7 or higher and 3.79 Pre-req GPA in order to be competitive. You biggest pull is your GRE. I also worked with a graduate from Army Baylor. Did you happen to ask if they know someone who still works there to possibly pull you in for a interview? Also, another thing that makes you stand out is that you shadowed at a military clinic. This and your GRE are the two big factors in your application. Do you have military experience?

Applying to Army Baylor

Update: got waitlisted at UTMB

Waitlists: UTMB