Don’t want to be a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree! And I’ve already posted about making up my mind

If you ever have questions or need support, just ask away.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
man who cares, I wanted to be a doc because I couldn't find a decent job, as long as I can make money idc what my title is

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people telling you to withdraw. Thats fine if you don't like medicine, but if its just about MD vs DO just stay where you are. Theres a lot of quackery with OM, but there's also allot of decent physical therapy, and practical application kind of stuff there. If you keep your head screwed on right its easy to tell which is which (looking at you cranial). Basically OM in clinical practice is just doing some stretching for people with lower back pain or other injuries, and then giving exercises. If you want to do some HVLA everyone loves to have their neck and back cracked.

As far as the rest of it, its really the same. DO's match into every specialty and practice identically to MD's except for the above. If you can find the good parts of OM, then try to make the most of it. If you can't, then consider it a low MCAT tax (been there done that).

Don't drop out because of MD v DO. That is the worst thing you can do. The people who are telling you to withdraw are for the most part just mad that you posted this question. They don't have your best interest at heart btw.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't really matter
Hi everyone, I’ve been creeping for a long time but never posted. Now I need advice. I am starting very soon at a fairly well established DO school (not one of the best but not bad and one that heavily emphasizes OMM and osteopathy) and as I go through orientation and have time to think about everything, I really don’t want to be a DO.

Before I applied and up until a few weeks ago I kept telling myself it doesn’t matter MD or DO but now I’m here and I care. I’ve been somewhat suppressing these thoughts but I can’t any longer. I’m really unhappy right now, I think OMM is stupid (sorry but I do), and I don’t know if being a doctor is worth it to me if I have to be a DO and I certainly don’t won’t to be a self-hating DO in case these feelings never go away.

I don’t know what I’m looking for here but really needed to vent. Am I having normal before school doubts or is this bigger than that? I have a plan B that sounds so much more appealing to me right now. I’ve wanted to me a doctor for awhile now and went through all this work to get here but again, I don’t know if it’s worth it if I have to be a DO and learn OMM.
At the end of the day, it's all really the same. I was a nurse before DO school and worked with many DO's inpatient. They were synonymous to the MD's. Did the exact same function. It's just letters at the end of your name in my mind. You're still a physician.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.