Don’t want to be a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknowwhattodo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve been creeping for a long time but never posted. Now I need advice. I am starting very soon at a fairly well established DO school (not one of the best but not bad and one that heavily emphasizes OMM and osteopathy) and as I go through orientation and have time to think about everything, I really don’t want to be a DO.

Before I applied and up until a few weeks ago I kept telling myself it doesn’t matter MD or DO but now I’m here and I care. I’ve been somewhat suppressing these thoughts but I can’t any longer. I’m really unhappy right now, I think OMM is stupid (sorry but I do), and I don’t know if being a doctor is worth it to me if I have to be a DO and I certainly don’t won’t to be a self-hating DO in case these feelings never go away.

I don’t know what I’m looking for here but really needed to vent. Am I having normal before school doubts or is this bigger than that? I have a plan B that sounds so much more appealing to me right now. I’ve wanted to me a doctor for awhile now and went through all this work to get here but again, I don’t know if it’s worth it if I have to be a DO and learn OMM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are having doubts this early, just withdraw. Better now than when you are in significant debt

If you have a complex / insecurity about being a DO and really want the MD then that's the obvious choice. There are people on the waiting list who would LOVE to have your spot if they can at this point.

Reactions: 23 users
Very easy. Don’t be a DO if you don’t want to. Withdraw right now before you accumulate any debt. Do whatever else you want. Your spot will go to someone who’s on the waitlist and would love to be a DO. Do it right now.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my closest friends were and remain very disappointed in their degree letters. That's stuck with them from M0 to PGY1.

If it matters to you, it matters to you. Withdraw if you want. Nobody's life will be changed except yours and the guy who will get your spot. IMO, despite not really digging OMM, it's a great gig. I'm stoked to have my own patient tomorrow! It's a shame you feel so much disappointment in being a DO.

• Care
Reactions: 24 users
Hi everyone, I’ve been creeping for a long time but never posted. Now I need advice. I am starting very soon at a fairly well established DO school (not one of the best but not bad and one that heavily emphasizes OMM and osteopathy) and as I go through orientation and have time to think about everything, I really don’t want to be a DO.

Before I applied and up until a few weeks ago I kept telling myself it doesn’t matter MD or DO but now I’m here and I care. I’ve been somewhat suppressing these thoughts but I can’t any longer. I’m really unhappy right now, I think OMM is stupid (sorry but I do), and I don’t know if being a doctor is worth it to me if I have to be a DO and I certainly don’t won’t to be a self-hating DO in case these feelings never go away.

I don’t know what I’m looking for here but really needed to vent. Am I having normal before school doubts or is this bigger than that? I have a plan B that sounds so much more appealing to me right now. I’ve wanted to me a doctor for awhile now and went through all this work to get here but again, I don’t know if it’s worth it if I have to be a DO and learn OMM.

What are the chances of you getting into an MD school if you were unable to the first time AND now having had a withdrawal on your application?

I would venture to say that most DOs think OMM is stupid… but, like Nephrology for a surgeon, anatomy for a psychiatrist etc, it is just a means to an end.

Most will not really care about MD vs DO, specially with combined residencies.

• Love
Reactions: 23 users
I felt the same way when I started last year, but now I'm halfway finished with omm classes. It goes by so quick.

Let's say you'll have a total of 10 OMM tests as a student. That's 10 weekends of cramming. Are you really going to give up being a doctor because 10 weekends studying something you don't like? It is such a small price.

In my experience, half of OMM class is being introduced to anatomy and valid medical conditions and pathologies such as spondylolisthesis, osteoporosis, thoracic outlet syndrome, scoliosis, cauda equina syndrome, fibromyalgia, herniated discs, etc. This is a vaulable use of our time because these are things any medical student (MD or DO) would learn about. The other half of the class less so... this is where we are presented with OMM as a solution to these problems. So, in essence, only half of OMM class is actually about doing OMM.

If you really want to be a doctor, I say give it a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
The job of a physician is the same regardless of whether he or she has a DO or an MD degree. Most DOs don’t use OMM. Having to learn OMM sucks, but OMM isn’t an essential part of “being a DO” after you graduate from school and begin your training. And you can be an OMM-hating DO without being a “self-hating DO”; OMM doesn’t have to be a part of your professional identity just because of the letters after your name.

Reactions: 11 users
I would say to withdraw simply because your apprehension is not wanting do be a DO specifically. Thats a little different that just pre-medschool jitters. This seems more like a title/prestige/honor thing. All of my classmates that started out as self-hating DOs ended that way too. FWIW, OMM doesn't even cross my mind in daily practice and im in a primary care specialty. I can't even remember much OMM anymore and im not far out from graduation.

Also, disagree about not telling anyone your true feelings. I would say 2/3 of my class outwardly stated our feelings about OMM. Even the few true believers didnt chastise us too badly.

Reactions: 14 users
I think it's a bit silly of you to squander the opportunity over a perceived lack of prestige. Most DOs go on to practice medicine and forget OMM. It's just a minor annoyance.

Most people think it's stupid also. But ultimately it's a sacrifice to be a DOctor. I would just fully explore this feeling before turning back.

Also your name should be "idontknowwhattoDO" not turning DO into a pun incessantly will be a problem.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Don’t do it! Drop your seat and give it to someone else who desperately wants to have a career in medicine.. also OMM is a sorry excuse to not want to be a DO, it’s actually a very minuscule amount of your time and believe it or not it can be beneficial for learning your anatomy if you want to go into something like surgery…. Also you will realize that generally speaking prestige means very little to people in the real world… squandering a bird in your hand for the chance at a bigger bird is just foolish.. also if you want the motivation, last year a DO matched CT surgery at U Mich, one matched at NYU for ortho, I can add many other such examples to this list from over the years I have been on this site , the point is if you put in the work, no one will care your a DO and you will get to where you need to get to.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think it's a bit silly of you to squander the opportunity over a perceived lack of prestige. Most DOs go on to practice medicine and forget OMM. It's just a minor annoyance.

Most people think it's stupid also. But ultimately it's a sacrifice to be a DOctor. I would just fully explore this feeling before turning back.

Also your name should be "idontknowwhattoDO" not turning DO into a pun incessantly will be a problem.

God I hate when that happens. It’s so cringe every time I see it. “DOctor” ,“Doctors that DO”, “can’t spell doctor without DO”, etc. CRINGE

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
By the looks of things, JUST GIVE UP THE SEAT and start your Plan B. Someone else will be very happy to take your seat. If the 2 Letters behind your name is that much more important than caring for someone, this isn't the right profession for ya.

Reactions: 13 users
I would suggest differently than to immediately withdraw the acceptance. Maybe this path is right for you, maybe it isn't, so hold on. We don't know the OP's background, how they are as a person, what their motivations and priorities are.

Analyze with a friend, mentor, parent, or even a counselor/therapist:
- how much do you care about spending time/how much do you know about learning OMM and taking double boards? have you looked into current/past students' experiences with OMM and taking double boards?
- how badly do you want to be a doctor?
- do the degree letters matter to you? why does it matter to you?
- how excited are you about starting med school and leraning medicine, putting aside ancillary doubts?
- then, bring those concerns and doubts + finances/location/family into the picture. are you excited to attend your school anyway?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of DOs, including myself at one point, had doubts about the degree, prestige, OMM etc but the majority of my colleagues and I are very happy we pushed through and now as an attending, I can say that almost nobody cares or even notices. Good luck, and hope you either make it to the MD promise land, or realize the opportunity you have to become a DO is a rare chance that a lot of people would love to have.

• Love
One VERY big word of caution if you do decide to withdraw, keep in my mind that it’s getting harder to get into medical schools(MD or DO). My school gets 4000+ apps for 100 spots. If your stats are on par for MD school and it sounds like your plan B is to do a SMP, unless you absolutely crush your SMP there’s no guarantee you will get into a MD school, by not taking this DO acceptance you will likley also blackball yourself from some DO schools, including the one you got acccepted into, it’s harder to get into medical schools as a re-applicant.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
The check from medicare/insurance cashes the same as a DO and MD. The partners in a group get the same number of vacation weeks as DOs or MDs. That's the bottom line.

Being a DO IS stupid... Hang with me here before you get offended. The schools are stupid and the organizations are doubly so and criminal to boot. The degree shouldn't even exist in modern medicine. It's stupid not because we are less qualified or whatever, but because the only reason we have threads like this are due to incompetence from orgs that shouldn't even exist anymore in the first place. That's the real frustration with being a DO, not some stupid letters on your signature and definitely not taking two board exams or even doing pseudoscience BS OMM for 2 years during school.

That said, it would be exponentially more stupid to give up a seat to an easy 200k and 6 weeks of vacation because you can't suck up dealing with OMM and a stigma brought on and perpetuated by bad actors in DO leadership that exists mostly in your mind.

Time to suck it up and get a reality check on this. For how dumb and ridiculous most DO related things are, your actions by withdrawing (and resultant career impact/opportunity cost) over what amounts to a bruised ego would be even dumber and it's pretty darn hard to do something dumber than anything the DO machinery in 2021 has done.

More constructive advice to get through DO school knowing you are being gaslighted by your own supposed advocates: you remind yourself that you are training to be a physician not an osTeOpaThIC physician and not a DO no matter how many times your leadership dog whistles you on it. Keep your eye on the prize and ignore their distractions. Think of it as just another challenge to make you tougher when you get to residency and get to ignore all the DO stuff that you thought would never end because it was in your face so often at the beginning of your journey.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users
My take is this: do you want to be a physician or not?

If you want to be a physician, go to the DO program. If you don't, pick something else. What other careers could you see yourself doing?

Reactions: 3 users
like others have vocalized, OMM is such a small price to pay to become a physician. you only have to deal with it for 2-4 years, after that, brain dump it. most DOs don’t even use OMM in daily practice.

as for the two letters after your name… bruh, you’re still going to be a physician. did you know there’s two types of dental degrees: DMD and DDS. with either, you’re still a licensed and practicing dentist. same case here. MD, DO, MBBS… you’re still a DOCTOR. you can still help, fix, and care for people.

think about what’s important: the end goal, & that is becoming a physician. if you still have doubt or “self-hating DO” tendencies, drop the seat man. there are 100+ people on that waitlist that would be absolutely ecstatic to take your place.

I really appreciate everyone who has responded and thank you for the advice/words of encouragement. I have been struggling for a few weeks now with these overwhelming thoughts of not wanting to be a DO and they just aren’t going away and that really worries me and why I’m reconsidering. I also don’t feel like the school is a good fit for me and I’m just not happy in the new area and not excited about anything. My plan B is to go back to school, get a PhD and be a professor/do research. That’s always been a plan because I love teaching. And then if I ever regret my decision and go back I could attempt to reapply (obviously not 100% I would even get in) but yeah those are my thoughts. Still wavering but you all have been very helpful!

All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety.

Don't be a self-hating DO. In years, you will be a doctor. As for OMM/OMT classes, try to suspend your disbelief and see if you can learn something useful. At the minimum, you'll be comfortable touching patients.

Reactions: 7 users
I really appreciate everyone who has responded and thank you for the advice/words of encouragement. I have been struggling for a few weeks now with these overwhelming thoughts of not wanting to be a DO and they just aren’t going away and that really worries me and why I’m reconsidering. I also don’t feel like the school is a good fit for me and I’m just not happy in the new area and not excited about anything. My plan B is to go back to school, get a PhD and be a professor/do research. That’s always been a plan because I love teaching. And then if I ever regret my decision and go back I could attempt to reapply (obviously not 100% I would even get in) but yeah those are my thoughts. Still wavering but you all have been very helpful!
I agree with everyone that if these thoughts are sticking, you probably should quit.

My main question is, though - do you actually know any DOs and think they’re inferior physicians, or is this some sort of weird psychological thing?

I never noticed any difference between the DOs and the MDs I worked with in clinical practice before I applied to med school… I didn’t even realize that we had any DOs for the longest time. I only started paying attention once I decided to apply to medical school, and it turns out I worked with a lot of them. My favorite physician overall was a DO, and he’s easily the most brilliant, witty, and caring person I’ve ever met. I applied to both types of schools simultaneously without a second thought, and when I came up with only MD waitlists but multiple DO acceptances, I picked his alma mater and was glad to be going there. In hindsight, I should have done my research a little better because some of my other acceptances may have been better, but w/e. I was proud to be going where he went.

I don’t get all these “self-hating DO” opinions. You still have to study peds in MD school if you plan on working with adults. So what that there’s a subject you don’t like? Okay… I also didn’t like taking my stupid arts classes for the gen ed part of my bachelor’s degree and I hated taking more foreign language classes, but I didn’t straight up refuse to get my bachelor’s because of either of those. Passing up an entire degree that will get you to be a doctor because you don’t like one subject that you’re going to have to take? I don’t understand it, tbh, and I guess I never will.

• Love
I agree with everyone that if these thoughts are sticking, you probably should quit.

My main question is, though - do you actually know any DOs and think they’re inferior physicians, or is this some sort of weird psychological thing?

I never noticed any difference between the DOs and the MDs I worked with in clinical practice before I applied to med school… I didn’t even realize that we had any DOs for the longest time. I only started paying attention once I decided to apply to medical school, and it turns out I worked with a lot of them. My favorite physician overall was a DO, and he’s easily the most brilliant, witty, and caring person I’ve ever met. I applied to both types of schools simultaneously without a second thought, and when I came up with only MD waitlists but multiple DO acceptances, I picked his alma mater and was glad to be going there. In hindsight, I should have done my research a little better because some of my other acceptances may have been better, but w/e. I was proud to be going where he went.

I don’t get all these “self-hating DO” opinions. You still have to study peds in MD school if you plan on working with adults. So what that there’s a subject you don’t like? Okay… I also didn’t like taking my stupid arts classes for the gen ed part of my bachelor’s degree and I hated taking more foreign language classes, but I didn’t straight up refuse to get my bachelor’s because of either of those. Passing up an entire degree that will get you to be a doctor because you don’t like one subject that you’re going to have to take? I don’t understand it, tbh, and I guess I never will.

The complex is not logical (Spock would not approve) so it’s normal to not understand. But the fact is some people have it and that is OKAY. It just means they need to realize this and act accordingly.

I think DOs as a collective get sensitive about this thought process because we think they are calling us inferior. But that’s not necessarily true. Just because they don’t want it doesn’t mean they think we are all inferior.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone knows the hard facts - the MD and DO degrees are equal once you are done with medical school. Getting into the residency you desire is easier as an MD. Your training in residency determines your overall capability as an attending.

The soft fact is some people just struggle with the psychological aspect of being the "other".

But you can change the way you see things. I sorta like being the underdog, the outsider. We can't skate by on our school name. Only our own effort and skill matter. You can choose to despair over the challenges of being a DO or you can let it make you sharper, hungrier, and more resourceful. You can take pride and ownership of being great at what you do despite having the odds stacked against you.

There's a reason why nearly all hero's journeys in fiction feature the "zero to hero" trope in some form. It's so much more satisfying to see winners when they come from humble beginnings. Where you start is not where you end. I like the analogy of drafting in sports. Top prospects can end up as busts, while every year stars emerge from the last rounds. Tom Brady was the 199th pick in his draft.

And the thing about prestige...there will always be someone with more, and someone with less. Your satisfaction with your own prestige just depends on which direction you're looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
This thread is all the more reason to merge the degree into MD rather than needlessly continuing to divide the profession, especially in an environment where it's even more important to be as united as possible against midlevel and corporate threats

OP, if you can't stand being a DO, you need to
withdraw now.

Reactions: 10 users
like others have vocalized, OMM is such a small price to pay to become a physician. you only have to deal with it for 2-4 years, after that, brain dump it. most DOs don’t even use OMM in daily practice.

as for the two letters after your name… bruh, you’re still going to be a physician. did you know there’s two types of dental degrees: DMD and DDS. with either, you’re still a licensed and practicing dentist. same case here. MD, DO, MBBS… you’re still a DOCTOR. you can still help, fix, and care for people.

think about what’s important: the end goal, & that is becoming a physician. if you still have doubt or “self-hating DO” tendencies, drop the seat man. there are 100+ people on that waitlist that would be absolutely ecstatic to take your place.
The MBBS guys can get away in calling themselves MD without any issue, especially in clinical and scientific settings.

The MBBS guys can get away in calling themselves MD without any issue, especially in clinical and scientific settings.
True but matching as an IMG(in anything) is a whole another ballgame….

Reactions: 1 user
"That’s always been a plan because I love teaching."

Listen to your heart OP. It is telling you something that you cannot ignore.

I’m gonna tell you both to withdraw and not to:

If you’re going to be one of the self-hating DOs then obviously you’re going to be miserable for the next 4 years. If you truly hate the profession and are insecure, it’s gonna show.

That being said, there are a million reasons not to quit, the biggest being that you’re obviously chasing prestige, and if you withdraw and reapply in the next 3-4 years, you’re going to get questioned about it. And “I wanted MD behind my name” isn’t going to cut it as a reason. Having both an MD and DO acceptance in your hand and choosing the MD is the obvious choice, but that’s not your circumstances and you didn’t post any plans in your OP that indicate you’ll be any more likely to be accepted into an MD program next year. So if you drop your spot, you aren’t getting in again, anywhere, for a few years.

I took my DO acceptance and never looked back. It never mattered on rotations, and I got accepted for sub-Is at multiple DO and MD programs, and ended doing one at each. I also got interviews at top-10 programs for my specialty, and ended up at one of the oldest MD programs in the country for my specialty. There were also people from my school this year that ended up at super prestigious programs for pretty much every specialty, except for neurosurg and derm, which nobody applied for in the first place. Our faculty don’t care, my co-residents don’t care, and the patients certainly don’t care.

So TLDR, if you just want the prestige, you should quit because you aren’t going to find it at a DO program, but don’t expect to be accepted to an MD school anytime soon because your reasons for withdrawing are going to be obvious. If your reasons for quitting are concerns about future job and residency opportunities, don’t quit because those are all in your head. You’re not going to be “stuck” in family medicine in rural Nebraska just because of the letters behind your name.

Reactions: 11 users
I’m gonna tell you both to withdraw and not to:

If you’re going to be one of the self-hating DOs then obviously you’re going to be miserable for the next 4 years. If you truly hate the profession and are insecure, it’s gonna show.

That being said, there are a million reasons not to quit, the biggest being that you’re obviously chasing prestige, and if you withdraw and reapply in the next 3-4 years, you’re going to get questioned about it. And “I wanted MD behind my name” isn’t going to cut it as a reason. Having both an MD and DO acceptance in your hand and choosing the MD is the obvious choice, but that’s not your circumstances and you didn’t post any plans in your OP that indicate you’ll be any more likely to be accepted into an MD program next year. So if you drop your spot, you aren’t getting in again, anywhere, for a few years.

I took my DO acceptance and never looked back. It never mattered on rotations, and I got accepted for sub-Is at multiple DO and MD programs, and ended doing one at each. I also got interviews at top-10 programs for my specialty, and ended up at one of the oldest MD programs in the country for my specialty. There were also people from my school this year that ended up at super prestigious programs for pretty much every specialty, except for neurosurg and derm, which nobody applied for in the first place. Our faculty don’t care, my co-residents don’t care, and the patients certainly don’t care.

So TLDR, if you just want the prestige, you should quit because you aren’t going to find it at a DO program, but don’t expect to be accepted to an MD school anytime soon because your reasons for withdrawing are going to be obvious. If your reasons for quitting are concerns about future job and residency opportunities, don’t quit because those are all in your head. You’re not going to be “stuck” in family medicine in rural Nebraska just because of the letters behind your name.
Excellent post….

If it's more important to you to be an MD than to be a doctor, I think that says something about your motivation and drive to get into this field in the first place.

We all know that MD opens a few more doors for residency, no OMM, possibly better rotations, etc. and that's why the prevailing advice on here is to take any USMD acceptance over DO. But seriously, at the end of it all, both degrees get you to the same place - being a practicing physician. If you're having such a hard time with going to a solid DO school is it really about being a physician to you? Or is it about prestige and the "glamour" of being an MD? I say this not to shame you, because what you're feeling is valid, but to get you to think about what you *really* want.

I see you're also considering pursuing a Ph.D. - really look into that route before you decide to go down it. It's a TOUGH one and the path is not as clear as it is in medicine with many Ph.D. graduates unable to secure employment. I love teaching too, and it's something you can find as a physician (and a lot of other career paths, for that matter). Patient education and the possibility of working with medical students/residents/fellows and teaching them are two of the many reasons why I'm pursuing medicine.

I think this really boils down to one central question - do you want to be a doctor? If the answer is yes, take your acceptance and run with it. If the answer is no, withdraw.

Reactions: 10 users
I may be wrong but it sounds like cold feet to me, manifesting as a preoccupation with the letters D.O. plus a more general second-guessing of everything about the program. Were you excited when you first got the acceptance?
I’ll give you my perspective. I’m an MD PhD, now in residency. I have co residents who are DOs; my favorite attending from the past year was a DO. No one thinks about it- we’re all doctors.
I’m fairly certain getting a PhD makes for a thankless career nowadays. I don’t think there’s significant job security in it unless you go to a super elite school. And even then there’s endless post-docs, grubbing for funding, and relatively meager salaries at the end of that rainbow.
By doing the DO- you do get to teach. Residents teach med students. By PGY-2 you’re often the primary one teaching them. Senior residents teach junior residents. Attendings teach everyone- you can get an academic job and teach on the wards + lectures.
All that, and as a physician you’re guaranteed a >200K salary. That is, as a floor, what is nearly a ceiling for academic PhDs (with the majority making far less). Unless you’re independently wealthy, this matters.
I can’t tell you what you want. But consider whether this is anxiety, and whether you’ve ever doubted other decisions in your life and then been glad you stuck with them

Okay guys I’m doing it! The answer is yes, I do want to be a doctor. And I need to get over myself and my fears and stigmas and go for it and be proud and never look back. Talked to a lot of friends, family, and didn’t come to my decision lightly without a lot of thought. Thank you all for putting up with someone who is certainly part of the problem (MD vs DO) but I’m going forward and going to be proud and be a freaking doctor! Thank you again.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 35 users
Okay guys I’m doing it! The answer is yes, I do want to be a doctor. And I need to get over myself and my fears and stigmas and go for it and be proud and never look back. Talked to a lot of friends, family, and didn’t come to my decision lightly without a lot of thought. Thank you all for putting up with someone who is certainly part of the problem (MD vs DO) but I’m going forward and going to be proud and be a freaking doctor! Thank you again.
wise choice! welcome to the DO class of ‘25.

Reactions: 5 users
Yay!! Now go be awesome :giggle:

Heck, I kind of wish I was going to learn OMM. Not jealous about the comlex though.

Heck, I kind of wish I was going to learn OMM. Not jealous about the comlex though.
Are you a pre-med or a medical student who forgot to update their status?

Because you do not want to learn OMM. There is no way in hell you can HVLA T10 to stop dysmenorrhea.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Because you do not want to learn OMM. There is no way in hell you can HVLA T10 to stop dysmenorrhea.

Some of its worth learning for party tricks though. Not worth learning when it puts even more pressure on your medical education. But simply learning the stuff that’s most similar to physical therapy can be worth while for an interested person

OP, it looks like you already came to the conclusion to stick it out.

Good choice. I just wanted to add—if you ever feel this way again in the future, google “mgma physician compensation”. Open the Reddit thread with I think the 2018 report. Look at the specialties like radiology, anesthesiology, stuff that is perfectly open to walk into as a DO without a super crazy application. Look at the median compensation listed in the different areas of the country. Now pull 3 hairs out of your arm as punishment for considering walking away from a prospect like that.

Seriously—since all else is basically equal besides the letters, you are questioning whether two letters will have a bigger effect on your future than a 500k/yr salary. Think about that.

Reactions: 5 users
As a DO attending, I can tell you noone cares in the real world if you are an MD or DO.

If I had to be honest, though, id tell you to drop out of medical school ,not because its a DO program, but because being a physician is imo no longer worth it.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

Starting in August. OMM seems like a great non-pharmacological option for back pain which is a very common issue. Not sure how so many people seem to gloss over that. Not only that but it can be billed for and significantly increase income in FM.

Starting in August. OMM seems like a great non-pharmacological option for back pain which is a very common issue. Not sure how so many people seem to gloss over that. Not only that but it can be billed for and significantly increase income in FM.
I 1000% agree with that, actually. I don’t know why more DO PCPs don’t use it.

There’s not a lot of evidence behind it… but how many people do you know that go to a chiropractor? Go for a massage? All of that stuff, and OMT, at least make you feel better temporarily. I know I always felt great walking out of the OMM lab, especially when we were doing back and neck treatments. Even if the benefit isn’t actually long term, there are a lot of patients who would pay a whole lot of money to feel better for a little bit. There’s no reason not to take a slice of that pie.

I had a group of med students surround me who I asked do stuff like High Velocity/Low Amplitude thrusts or whatever. It was great. I know I'd love to learn it

Yep my FM preceptor did this all the time. She hardly believed in OMM but her patients loved it when she gave it a try and many patients were weekly just because it made them feel better. Whether it's a placebo effect or not is unsure but ultimately patients did feel better and didn't need to stay on pain medicine.

Yep my FM preceptor did this all the time. She hardly believed in OMM but her patients loved it when she gave it a try and many patients were weekly just because it made them feel better. Whether it's a placebo effect or not is unsure but ultimately patients did feel better and didn't need to stay on pain medicine.
I agree, the majority of patients that receive OMM report feeling better. This is all anecdotal of course.

Here’s my take on it...
Med School is absolutely brutal. Regardless of the whole MD/DO dilemma that you have to work through, Medical school and residency will be the most grueling, challenging and trying time of your life. This is not something you choose to do if you don‘t feel like you NEED to do this. If you have another option that would satisfy your academic/career goals, choose that option.

I have a friend who’s in a PhD program now and I am in shock when I see the amount of free time that she has. She’s having an enjoyable 5 years of school while I chug along in med school feeling half dead most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.