Does being a resident attract more girls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rest assured that I've been pleasantly surprised at how much more seriously boys seem to pursue serious relationships with a female in medical school...that's not even an earning resident, let alone a balling attending. And we are talking about an attractive, educated census (trust that I'm quite strict about that). Go figure.

But isn't that more because medical students are too busy to hit the clubs every Friday/Saturday and be some player pimp that scores bishes every week?

Why do 60% of your posts make me giggle? I've run the numbers.

I'm an entertainer at heart.

(And according to some people on SDN, I am also a legendary con man, indicated by my ability to trick the admissions committees of 2 medical schools into accepting me. Though I speculate that most of the people implying that are either trolls or just bitter they didn't get in.)

Members don't see this ad.

Achievement is definitely an element of the male sex appeal for the average female . Over 40? Much much less so. Unless you're perhaps a 30 - 50 year old female.

Under 30 or over 80 what? I don't follow. I'm pretty shocked whatever you're referencing goes all the way up to 80...and suspect it's an optimistic perspective of the male psyche. anything over 60 is over 80...it's the same boat.

Please be clear about what you're saying of the female experience...I'm not following. You've been so vague I'm not even sure with what to agree or disagree.

Rest assured that I've been pleasantly surprised at how much more seriously boys seem to pursue serious relationships with a female in medical school...that's not even an earning resident, let alone a balling attending. And we are talking about an attractive, educated census (trust that I'm quite strict about that). Go figure.

First, if you're an attractive female your opinion on what men want is completely blurred by your experience of all men wanting you. And, incidentally, telling you whatever they think you want to hear. So check up on the available research for what men and women prefer to get a better idea.

There is clear gender differences in what is sought in potential mates. The social status of being a physician is much more likely to help the sexual marketability of men than women.

Reactions: 9 users
First, if you're an attractive female your opinion on what men want is completely blurred by your experience of all men wanting you. And, incidentally, telling you whatever they think you want to hear. So check up on the available research for what men and women prefer to get a better idea.

There is clear gender differences in what is sought in potential mates. The social status of being a physician is much more likely to help the sexual marketability of men than women.

I agree with the bolded, as a general rule. However, there will always be outliers (like a guy who goes after a female physician so he doesn't have to work anymore).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the bolded, as a general rule. However, there will always be outliers (like a guy who goes after a female physician so he doesn't have to work anymore).
Wrong. Not just outliers. That's a misrepresentation of reality.

So, I'm expressing that...I've experienced a "difference" in the level of interest or seriousness. So, let's say I'm attractive or I'm not. Either way, I'm saying I've definitely perceived a higher level of effort and value from males. Does this translate into being much more significant than what a male might experience? Probably not.

These things are obviously on a sliding scale. As I've mentioned before, a good looking guy who turns out to be a doctor is infinitely hotter than a good looking bartender...but a below average looking guy who turns out to be a doctor...eh, the prospects obviously get slimmer with more chances she's there for the lifestyle.

So yes, men generally put a higher premium on good looks. But I'd say this generation of guys 25 - 35 (particularly educated ones) are highly attracted to girls with brains. Agreed?

Maybe some female doctors can give us insight on whether they've experienced any bump for it or not. I once thought about making a thread on that.

Reactions: 1 user
These things are obviously on a sliding scale. As I've mentioned before, a good looking guy who turns out to be a doctor is infinitely hotter than a good looking bartender...but a below average looking guy who turns out to be a doctor...eh, the prospects obviously get slimmer with more chances she's there for the lifestyle.

So yes, men generally put a higher premium on good looks. But I'd say this generation of guys 25 - 35 (particularly educated ones) are highly attracted to girls with brains. Agreed?

Yup

ALTHOUGH...I'd rather be with someone attractive + good personality + good family + successful in their career over someone omg so gorgeouz + sort of a snooze + no real motivation/goals in life + meh family. The latter is probably also a guy that wouldnt get past my parents--dont think my mother cares too much about what my definition of super hot is, but she DOES care what the guy does, what his parents do, what kind of personality he has, etc.

And I'm not marrying someone my parents dont like so, thats sort of a hard stop for me.

I think dating medical students isnt so bad.....just saying :D :D

Last edited:

So, I'm expressing that...I've experienced a "difference" in the level of interest or seriousness. So, let's say I'm attractive or I'm not. Either way, I'm saying I've definitely perceived a higher level of effort and value from males. Does this translate into being much more significant than what a male might experience? Probably not.

Maybe some female doctors can give us insight on whether they've experienced any bump for it or not. I once thought about making a thread on that.
The reason you're finding guys that are more serious is that you are aging, and that is what happens as you get older- it has nothing to do with you being in medical school. It's pretty well established that a woman out-earning a man frequently causes relationship problems and unhappiness from both sides of the table. This means your career is more of a disincentive for a man to pursue a long-term relationship with you unless he happens to earn more than you do.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-more-wives-outearning-their-husbands/276040/
http://nber.org/papers/w19023
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/features/n_9495/

I could go on, but basically you are limiting your dating pool to the small number of men that outearn you where long-term relationships are concerned. There might be a few open-minded lesser-earning men out there, but as time goes on, many studies are showing that men often end up resenting the loss of the primary breadwinner role, leading to trouble at home and increased risk of divorce. Worse yet, a female doctor usually doesn't have a lot of time for dating until she hits 30 or later, when most of the good guys are taken, and many of the available men are either damaged goods or not marriage material. So you're left fighting with younger, more attractive women for the small sample of men that outearn you, basically, because most wealthy and well-paid men don't really give a damn what their wife earns or what degree she holds. It sucks, but medicine is a pretty rough path for many women dating-wise, because you lose your best assets (youth and beauty) and limit your dating pool in the pursuit of something you love. Most men really aren't all that into intelligence- they've got a low bar that they won't stick with a girl who falls under, but they aren't generally drawn to girls that are super-smart.

Reactions: 2 users

So..what...if you're 36 you got no use for nuttin but dumb broads with a rack. That's ridiculous.

For me, female sex appeal is somewhat broader than it is most and includes intelligence, wit, sense of humor, grit, toughness, creativity, life skills, a requisite level of laid-backness, and so on.

It's just that the research bears out in my case like it does for most men. Before all that it's am I attracted to her looks.

And compromising any of the above for social status, family opinion, professional attainment, or that sort of thing is unthinkable. Whereas for your species it is not unthinkable. Palatable in some cases.

It's not a generational phenomenon nor am I suggesting its black and white.

So..what...if you're 36 you got no use for nuttin but dumb broads with a rack. That's ridiculous.

For me, female sex appeal is somewhat broader than it is most and includes intelligence, wit, sense of humor, grit, toughness, creativity, life skills, a requisite level of laid-backness, and so on.

It's just that the research bears out in my case like it does for most men. Before all that it's am I attracted to her looks.

And compromising any of the above for social status, family opinion, professional attainment, or that sort of thing is unthinkable. Whereas for your species it is not unthinkable. Palatable in some cases.

It's not a generational phenomenon nor am I suggesting is black and white.

Actually...nobody said being 36 or 54 would make you have no use for anyone but dumb broads with a rack. I am saying that I believe my generation of males is much more highly motivated to take relationships more seriously with a girl who exhibits brain skills than previous generations might have been. I think they put a higher premium on it.

I would never contend that looks are irrelevant to males. They are highly relevant for myself and I'd agree with you...many females can set them aside if other things might present beneficial. In that sense, I'll agree that I'm an outlier. But the reverse...that males are not increasingly excited by a package that includes smarts...would be false.

So getting back to our original question. Are women/men more attracted if you're a resident? Yes...both are. With perhaps a higher bump for males. Can we agree on that?

Last edited:

Sure, as long as they're pretty (a subjective term) too. And as long as they meet a minimum threshold for brains, that's generally all that is required.

I will agree that having intelligent conversations with a girl (not necessarily academic/medicine oriented) is better than discussing the bachelor/teen mom/keeping up with the kardashians.

Actually...nobody said being 36 or 54 would make you have no use for anyone but dumb broads with a rack. I am saying that I believe my generation of males is much more highly motivated to take relationships more seriously with a girl who exhibits brain skills than previous generations might have been. I think they put a higher premium on it. I would never dispute that looks were irrelevant for males. They are highly relevant for myself and I'd agree with you...many females can set them aside if other things might present beneficial. In that sense, I'll agree that I'm an outlier. But the reverse...that males are not increasingly excited by a package that includes smarts...would be false.

So getting back to our original question. Are women/men more attracted if you're a resident? Yes...both are. With perhaps a higher bump for males. Can we agree on that?

Yeah I think we agree more than not . haha. good stuff.

Last edited:
Actually...nobody said being 36 or 54 would make you have no use for anyone but dumb broads with a rack. I am saying that I believe my generation of males is much more highly motivated to take relationships more seriously with a girl who exhibits brain skills than previous generations might have been. I think they put a higher premium on it. I would never dispute that looks were irrelevant for males. They are highly relevant for myself and I'd agree with you...many females can set them aside if other things might present beneficial. In that sense, I'll agree that I'm an outlier. But the reverse...that males are not increasingly excited by a package that includes smarts...would be false.

Where are these "brain skills" you speak of?

Sure, as long as they're pretty (a subjective term) too. And as long as they meet a minimum threshold for brains, that's generally all that is required.

I will agree that having intelligent conversations with a girl (not necessarily academic/medicine oriented) is better than discussing the bachelor/teen mom/keeping up with the kardashians.

I wouldnt want to marry someone in my exact same profession...TEETHALLDAYAAAAAHHH

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are these "brain skills" you speak of?

1288129493090_2127502.png

Reactions: 8 users
Where do you live?
I live in a major metropolitan city, but want to leave. I've been here for too long. Almost two decades.

When I left to start my clinical rotations into a new city, it was by far the best thing ever for me. Now that I'm at home for break, it sucks.

I may be misinterpreting your conclusion but I assure you the average guy under 30 nowadays is seriously hot for girls who are clever and successful. Maybe even more so than women under 30 are for our counterparts. Throw some looks in, and you're almost guaranteed the average guy to throw himself at your feet.
but will you settle for average anas? Will you?

From what I've heard, she wouldn't want anything less than a guy who looked like Cumberbatch that was also an AOA student that matched into PRS.

No Kahreek. That's why I'm holding out for you.

From what I've heard, she wouldn't want anything less than a guy who looked like Cumberbatch that was also an AOA student that matched into PRS.
What's with you and this Cumberbatch guy? I had to google him last time you mentioned him. Nothing to write home about. If you're going to refer to outrageously handsome men, let me help you with that...

images
images
34.jpg
pg2_g_mcpartlin_200.jpg

you're welcome.

@Anastomoses WHO IS THAT GUY ON THE BOTTOM LEFT

want want want
that one is mine. you can have the rest of them.

he's that actor who played the twins in social network. actually he's married to an older woman who was smart enough to nab him quickly.

No Kahreek. That's why I'm holding out for you.

What's with you and this Cumberbatch guy? I had to google him last time you mentioned him. Nothing to write home about. If you're going to refer to outrageously handsome men, let me help you with that...

Sorry, I just always heard that he (along with Gosling and Dicaprio) were supposed to be the most attractive men around.

that one is mine. you can have the rest of them.

he's that actor who played the twins in social network. actually he's married to an older woman who was smart enough to nab him quickly.
She's a fine looking woman, but she's 4 years older and nowhere near as hot as him. I'm impressed.

Achievement is definitely an element of the male sex appeal for the average female . Over 40? Much much less so. Unless you're perhaps a 30 - 50 year old female.

This is a funny statement.

So achievement doesn't matter if you're over 40... unless it's a 30-50 year old female.

Lol. Who are the 40 year old guys dating? 21 year olds?

Are you guys having a slumber party with pillow fights right now.

......nice.

I don't think public girl chatting resembles the reality of grown women living and working and paying bills. This love of twinky celebrities is cute and why not...but the Hugh Hefner effect has such global pervasiveness that you have to realize just how atypical, ephemeral, and naively youthful it is to think that mindset is the dominant modality for women in the mating game.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think public girl chatting resembles the reality of grown women living and working and paying bills. This love of twinky celebrities is cute and why not...but the Hugh Hefner effect has such global pervasiveness that you have to realize just how atypical, ephemeral, and naively youthful it is to think that mindset is the dominant modality for women in the mating game.
I'm not sure which generation you're talking about, again. I know plenty of girls that earn and a guy's security is only the baseline of what they want. Statistically, you may very well be correct, but in my generation the exceptions are staggering.

She's a fine looking woman, but she's 4 years older and nowhere near as hot as him. I'm impressed.
That's my game plan too. I always joke that I want a guy prettier than me. Except I'm not joking.

This is a funny statement.

So achievement doesn't matter if you're over 40... unless it's a 30-50 year old female.

Lol. Who are the 40 year old guys dating? 21 year olds?
I think you misunderstood. I meant if you're in your 20's and a guy is 40...his achievement is hardly relevant because he's too old for you to care. A woman between 35 - 45 may have more appreciation for this achievement. Girls in their 20's are impressed when guys in their 20's and 30's are successful. When he's old and successful...not so interesting. Unless she's an out and out gold digger.

I'm not sure which generation you're talking about, again. I know plenty of girls that earn and a guy's security is only the baseline of what they want. Statistically, you may very well be correct, but in my generation the exceptions are staggering.

That's my game plan too. I always joke that I want a guy prettier than me. Except I'm not joking.

Lol. I'm fairly certain K is prettier than me.

Sorry, I just always heard that he (along with Gosling and Dicaprio) were supposed to be the most attractive men around.
DiCaprio looks like ass. And has ever since he hit 30. I don't know what went wrong there. His face went the direction of Marlon Brando - facial skeleton got all wide and crude or something. Sure, Gosling is alright.

I think you misunderstood. I meant if you're in your 20's and a guy is 40...his achievement is hardly relevant because he's too old for you to care. A woman between 35 - 45 may have more appreciation for this achievement. Girls in their 20's are impressed when guys in their 20's and 30's are successful. When he's old and successful...not so interesting. Unless she's an out and out gold digger.
oh, alright.

DiCaprio looks like ass. And has ever since he hit 30. I don't know what went wrong there. His face went the direction of Marlon Brando - facial skeleton got all wide and crude or something. Sure, Gosling is alright.

Hahaha. You're trippin. Those 2 gents have likely slayed dozens of women not even in you're league unless your exceptionally beautiful. I mean....truly gorgeous. Otherwise you're talking mad **** right now.

I bet in reality...one "hey girl...." and you'd be hopping on the back of that vintage motorcycle and into the California night air.

Hahaha. You're trippin. Those 2 gents have likely slayed dozens of women not even in your league unless your exceptionally beautiful. I mean....truly gorgeous. Otherwise you're talking mad **** right now.
Let me give you a reality check. I could have guys much better looking than either of those two if I want. That's easy enough. And I don't even have the buttloads of money they do. Reassess your calculations.

Oh and no...I'm not model insanely stunning. But you really don't have to be. You're basically pointing out that two movie stars are able to get women hotter than me. Um...yeah, so can Mike Tyson. What's your point? Am I supposed to think he's a hottie too? Money does not make a man hot. It makes him rich. Sorry.

I feel like doing the Kevin Spacey speech from Swimming With Sharks. Sweet n Low, pink packet. Equal...blue packet.

Let me give you a reality check. I could have guys much better looking than either of those two if I want. That's easy enough. And I don't even have the buttloads of money they do. Reassess your calculations.

Well then. I guess I just outted you as a bad@ss chick. Good for you. But that turns back to my point about how atypical your perspective is. You and your little hot circle of friends is by no means a way to represent male female social dynamics. Not by a long shot.

I think so you're clearly underestimating the real currency at work. Female attractiveness. If you're ridiculously wealthy in this regard then just like a billionaire you have nothing in common with the persons stocking shelves at Walmart.

Last edited:
Why can't we just go back to posting pix of hot guys?! :(
Sometimes you're too clever for words.

I think so you're clearly underestimating the real currency at work. Female attractiveness. If you're ridiculously wealthy in this regard then just like a billionaire you have nothing in common with the persons stocking shelves at Walmart.

Nas, you're among the few posters I respect so much so I'm going to try to phrase this extra precisely. Even attractive females who have standards suffer to some degree if their demands are high. If the attractive female will settle for the average guy, then granted she has it easy street. I concede, the average attractive female has a considerable amt of the male population vying for her attention. But if say, she's attractive and also wants an attractive brilliant boy...she's already dipping in a small pool of men who are in such high demand it's ridiculous. And some of those men really might just need a heart-shaped ass and only enough smarts to clear a driver's license. Making the pool even smaller for females with higher demands. This world is never ever a simple place. ;)

I won't get into my personal affairs as much as I'd like to but I assure you I'm one of the disciplined types that a "hey girl" doesn't work on. And motorcycles are a turn off. What generation is excited by motorcycles? You can tell me, is some of this about a mid-life crisis and not feeling desirable enough? Think of me as a psych doctor...oh wait, I haven't even taken behaviorial sciences. ::sigh::

Last edited:
Sometimes you're too clever for words.

Nas, you're among the few posters I respect so much so I'm going to try to phrase this extra precisely. Even attractive females who have standards suffer to some degree if their demands are high. If the attractive female will settle for the average guy, then granted she has it easy street. I concede, the average attractive female has a considerable amt of the male population vying for her attention. But if say, she's attractive and also wants an attractive brilliant boy...she's already dipping in a small pool of men who are in such high demand it's ridiculous. And some of those men really might just need a heart-shaped ass and only enough smarts to clear a driver's license. Making the pool even smaller for females with higher demands. This world is never ever a simple place. ;)

Actually, I just read your last edit and I'm respecting you less and less. I won't get into my personal affairs as much as I'd like to but I assure you I'm one of the disciplined types that a "hey girl" doesn't work on. And motorcycles are a turn off. Dude, what generation is excited by motorcycles? You can tell me, is some of this about a mid-life crisis and not feeling desirable enough? Think of me as a psych doctor...oh wait, I haven't even taken behaviorial sciences. ::sigh::

I'm right there with you on this one- motorcycles? Seriously? Ugh. Nothing about that is a turn on. Or guns. Just no.

Nope. I want well dressed/well put together smart funny nice good family preferably professional.

Damn. Because I would've hopped on even as a straight dude.

My thread took an odd turn...

Reactions: 2 users
wow who knew riding a motorcycle could be a turnoff to women

o well i choose my bike over girl then lol