Does anyone have an idea of how many plastics residencies there are in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how many plastics residencies there are in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

If you go to the AMA website Frieda section this data should be easy to look up.

Actually, it's a pain in the ass on freida. I think I applied to something like 45 programs this year that match for PGY1 spots. That's including SIU (non eras paper application) and the programs that are listed as check box options under the general surgery programs. Freida lists all programs together including fellowship positions which messes up the whole search. You won't be able to look at whats out there untill you apply as a 4th year and sign up for ERAS. Don't worry about it though, the program number has been fairly solid the last couple of years. some programs drop (this year...Case Western) and some add PGY1 spots (UMNDJ, Oklahoma). If you want to waste time and read about the plastics match this year check out www.plastics2002.com

Later

Members don't see this ad :)
Slickster's right . . . it's around 45 programs. I think last year most of us counted 43 programs that accepted applications for PGY-1 positions (integrated and/or combined). There are 19 or 20 integrated programs (of the 43-45). I heard that UNLV is offering their first positions this year . . . sounds kind of nice, eh?

Good luck, Slick.

You said that there are about 45 programms, how many spots are usually available in a programm?

I think last year we estimated the total number of spots available as 77. Most programs take one or two people. A few take three. There were rumors that either Baylor or UTSW might take four.

Wow, that not very many. Is it pretty competitive to get a spot?

Extremely. Last year we had ~275 applicants for ~75 spots. The majority of the candidates have done very well in medschool. The candidates who get more than 5-6 interviews tend to have very good Step 1 scores (240+), a great transcript, and are AOA. A fairly realistic comparison would be with Derm.

Matching PS is much worse than derm....it's beyond competitive and super political. My advice....obviously do your best in school.....Hope you did well on step 1....rotate away at least once (interviewers always ask, and people like to see it)....seek well-known faculty to get letters, even if it is at your away rotations and particularly if your schoold doesn't have a great program ...lastly AOA help a lot, but many superstars (in terms of where they interviewed were not for various reasons) I suggest you all talk to as many residents as possible they are your best resource. There will come a time when you know everything about matching into Integrated PS-That time will be when you are putting your ROL together. Its a hard road and don't let people sugar coat it! On the other hand it is very doable if you are ready to put forth a concerted effort. This is the overall wisdom that results from many nights talking with other applicants as a group (usually in some random Holiday Inn)

good luck-plastics is an amazing field and worth every penny and second

Brooks,

Sounds like you've had a busy interview season . . . I remember this time last year, trying to figure out if the match algorithm really works the way they tell us.

Yes, PRS is an incredibly difficult match, but it can be done as a non-superstar (hey, if I can get an integrated spot, then anyone can).

Good luck next month.

my ulcer grows by the day, but thanks!

As I read through these posts, I realize how long of road it actually has been. The previous posts are right on though for those interested in applying. It is an extremely competitive field to get into. Limited # of spots for many qualified. As a non AOA, low 220's step I applicant though, I will tell you that the right Letters Of Rec from well known plastics people, hard work on an away month, research, and strong clinical grades will put you in the position to get plastics interviews. (12 for me) Hopefully this will inspire some of you. After the interview, some programs look for people great on paper, some look for those who rotated or attended their med school, but most are looking for the "Right Fit" personality. Best of Luck to everyone interested, and those of us who are (lucky/unlucky?) who are playing this rank list game with me.

Slickster:thumbup:

You said that there are about 75 spots for 275 applicants, so what do the 200 people who didn't get a spot do? Do they reapply or do they go into another field? Sorry if this question is stupid, but I don't know very much about residency programms.