DO discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what I mean. Well, maybe a lot of what are they called, gunners?, have that kind of humor.

i.e. losers before medicine

Members don't see this ad.

They way I see it is... If you haven't taken the MCAT, gone through the interview process, and been accepted *somewhere*, then your opinion about DOs (and MDs) is meaningless.

The "pre-MD only" ppl are riding the snobby coat tails of a fantasy. Until you make that fantasy your reality, plz, just stop. I hope this is just an Internet thing and that you aren't really this ignorant and closed minded in real life.

Your "suggestion" to remove OMM is frankly asinine. I'm very excited to learn OMM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They way I see it is... If you haven't taken the MCAT, gone through the interview process, and been accepted *somewhere*, then your opinion about DOs (and MDs) is meaningless.

The "pre-MD only" ppl are riding the snobby coat tails of a fantasy. Until you make that fantasy your reality, plz, just stop. I hope this is just an Internet thing and that you aren't really this ignorant and closed minded in real life.

Your "suggestion" to remove OMM is frankly asinine. I'm very excited to learn OMM.

You need to realize you're a minority though. And that a good amount of OMM does need to be removed as it is physiologically wrong, i.e like cranial.

Members don't see this ad :)
RushHour3-17.jpg

Last edited:
You need to realize you're a minority though. And that a good amount of OMM does need to be removed as it is physiologically wrong, i.e like cranial.

While I don't agree that you need to be a med student or a physician to know this...I disagree that OMM is that far off.

You know I'm all for an update as I've argued before, but OMM is actually an advancement in medicine, gone a but stagnant.

OMM includes the patient centered philosophy that is pretty much generally accepted (MD and DO alike) and also contains OMT which when used correctly is amazing. No question a great compliment to a doctors toolset-especially gen practice docs.

From my several colleagues in DO schools, cranial is usually taught from a historical standpoint so that argument is moot. I don't usually see any other part of OMM contested with any success, so I'd have to conclude, as a premed, that OMM is good thing. I look forward to learning OMT and plan to use it when appropriate

While I don't agree that you need to be a med student or a physician to know this...I disagree that OMM is that far off.

You know I'm all for an update as I've argued before, but OMM is actually an advancement in medicine, gone a but stagnant.

OMM includes the patient centered philosophy that is pretty much generally accepted (MD and DO alike) and also contains OMT which when used correctly is amazing. No question a great compliment to a doctors toolset-especially gen practice docs.

From my several colleagues in DO schools, cranial is usually taught from a historical standpoint so that argument is moot. I don't usually see any other part of OMM contested with any success, so I'd have to conclude, as a premed, that OMM is good thing. I look forward to learning OMT and plan to use it when appropriate

I'm interested in some parts of OMT as I enjoy physical medicine. But regardless, I doubt that so many DO's and DO students on here are lying when they find it boring and unpleasant.

Convenient where you arbitrarily drew the line at which the opinion becomes valid....

I'm interested in some parts of OMT as I enjoy physical medicine. But regardless, I doubt that so many DO's and DO students on here are lying when they find it boring and unpleasant.

I'd have to agree with you there...to each their own. I bet many DOs do think that way. I'm glad some are open to it, but you're right...

Does this apply to me too? Or am I exempt because I'll never have an MD or DO after my name?
For what it's worth, I have take the MCAT though...

Convenient where you arbitrarily drew the line at which the opinion becomes valid....

Thank you for noticing the convenience, but it doesn't change the reality of my statement.

The DO degree does exist; OMM isn't going anywhere, and the sense of pre-med entitlement on this forum is not going to change that.

Get over it. :beat:

i.e. losers before medicine
:thumbup:

Why does being an MS0 suddenly mean you get to have a valid opinion about MD/DO? My opinion on the matter isn't going to suddenly change if/when I get accepted somewhere.

I agree that OMM/OMT is an exciting concept, but I truthfully know nothing about its efficacy. I shadowed someone who used it and the patients appeared to feel better, but we all know what wonders a good stretch does for muscle tension.. Oh yes, and the placebo effect. I'm not putting OMM/OMT down, or saying it doesn't work, I just don't know if it does. And placebo effect or not, making someone feel better is all the same at the end of the day.

While it would be cool to learn OMM/OMT (I would like to learn it even if I get into an MD school), very few people would choose DO over MD given the option. While the degrees are equal, and the "they're both physicians" argument is totally valid, there are far less issues for MD students than there are for DO students when it comes to rotations and matching.

Why does being an MS0 suddenly mean you get to have a valid opinion about MD/DO? My opinion on the matter isn't going to suddenly change if/when I get accepted somewhere.

I agree that OMM/OMT is an exciting concept, but I truthfully know nothing about its efficacy. I shadowed someone who used it and the patients appeared to feel better, but we all know what wonders a good stretch does for muscle tension.. Oh yes, and the placebo effect. I'm not putting OMM/OMT down, or saying it doesn't work, I just don't know if it does. And placebo effect or not, making someone feel better is all the same at the end of the day.

While it would be cool to learn OMM/OMT (I would like to learn it even if I get into an MD school), very few people would choose DO over MD given the option. While the degrees are equal, and the "they're both physicians" argument is totally valid, there are far less issues for MD students than there are for DO students when it comes to rotations and matching.

It's more than you think. A lot of people choose their school solely based on location. Most actual medical students, at least from my class, do not think like people you see posting on studentdoctor.net.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

I never tried to validate any negative opinions of mine concerning anyone's profession. I'm not sure why there are so many premed haters on this forum, and it boggles me because it should be obvious that premeds should be the last to be hatin'. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree with anything you said.

I never tried to validate any negative opinions of mine concerning anyone's profession. I'm not sure why there are so many premed haters on this forum, and it boggles me because it should be obvious that premeds should be the last to be hatin'. :cool:

Somewhat ironically, your statement, "I'm not sure why there are so many premed haters on this forum." could be interpreted as people who hate premeds, not saying you HATE premeds, but you certainly don't value them/their opinion.

Somewhat ironically, your statement, "I'm not sure why there are so many premed haters on this forum." could be interpreted as people who hate premeds, not saying you HATE premeds, but you certainly don't value them/their opinion.

That's your rebuttal? No I don't hate premeds that's ridiculous and irrelevant.

How? OMM as a theory is completely not in line with the modern view of how the body works. It's a throwback to the days before the acceptance of germs much less genetics.

When were MDs ever not "patient-centered"? That is DO propaganda BS. Don't fool yourself into thinking that mainstream medicine has gained anything from osteopathy. Osteopathy has just adopted techniques from mainstream medicine because those techniques work and osteopaths have historically conducted almost no scientific research to advance the "science" of their profession. Even now DO institutions are barely engaged in research.

Funny, I haven't seen any other part of OMM proven with any success. (Did I end up in a religion forum again? I feel like i should be invoking the FSM.)

Even more to the point, even though certain types of manipulations may provide patients relief from some ailments, anything learned within the framework of osteopathy (much like chiropractic) becomes immediately suspect due to the field's aversion to hard science and foundations in bologna.

How? OMM as a theory is completely not in line with the modern view of how the body works. It's a throwback to the days before the acceptance of germs much less genetics.

When were MDs ever not "patient-centered"? That is DO propaganda BS. Don't fool yourself into thinking that mainstream medicine has gained anything from osteopathy. Osteopathy has just adopted techniques from mainstream medicine because those techniques work and osteopaths have historically conducted almost no scientific research to advance the "science" of their profession. Even now DO institutions are barely engaged in research.

Funny, I haven't seen any other part of OMM proven with any success. (Did I end up in a religion forum again? I feel like i should be invoking the FSM.)

Even more to the point, even though certain types of manipulations may provide patients relief from some ailments, anything learned within the framework of osteopathy (much like chiropractic) becomes immediately suspect due to the field's aversion to hard science and foundations in bologna.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. 100% hater :confused: but, why?

Answer me this: If there's a DO willing to do OMM, and a patient requesting OMM........... Who are you in that equation?

Thank you for noticing the convenience, but it doesn't change the reality of my statement.

The DO degree does exist; OMM isn't going anywhere, and the sense of pre-med entitlement on this forum is not going to change that.

Get over it. :beat:

Even funnier how you think your retort applies at all to my statement :rolleyes: I was only saying an admitted Med student who still hasn't started doesn't really have a valid opinion either as they are still very much "pre Med" ;)

Even funnier how you think your retort applies at all to my statement :rolleyes: I was only saying an admitted Med student who still hasn't started doesn't really have a valid opinion either as they are still very much "pre Med" ;)

Anyone with eyes and half a brain today would be able to see that the only negative opinion i expressed was concerning out-of-place premed haters. I never claimed to have any insight on how a medical school curriculum should be run, what is or isn't medically feasible, or anything medically related at all. :confused:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. 100% hater :confused: but, why?

Answer me this: If there's a DO willing to do OMM, and a patient requesting OMM........... Who are you in that equation?

I'm the person telling Medicare not to cover it.

You get OMM and OMT confused quite a bit. Also, you speak in generalities. This is one of you 'poor quality' arguments.

Can you think for a moment what it would mean to be 'completely not in line with the modern view of how the body works' and then form a more realistic argument.

OMM as a teaching foundation is great. OMT is great. OMT can be improved, but so can every procedure that exists. Next...

DO schools have a (slightly) different philosophy. Get over it. They are geared towards primary care, so yes, they tend to be more patient centered. Do you know the 'other parts' of OMM? I really think you need to research more...pray to your RAmen and gather the courage to back up the more bizarre things you say.

It's OK to disagree, but again, no one listens to tantrums.

Medicine is both science and art. You don't get that part.

Edit: a clinical focus doesn't constitute an aversion to research. There are also plenty of MD schools who are not research focused. We need both

Last edited:
That's your rebuttal? No I don't hate premeds that's ridiculous and irrelevant.

A rebuttal from what? Was I being attacked? I was merely pointing out an interesting interpretation of your statement.

Also, I didn't say you hated premeds! I just said you didn't value their opinions. Which is true.

A rebuttal from what? Was I being attacked? I was merely pointing out an interesting interpretation of your statement.

Also, I didn't say you hated premeds! I just said you didn't value their opinions. Which is true.

I don't value their negative opinions about DOs and OMM.

Let's just not value anyone's negative opinions about it and call it good...as you can see there are pre med, intern and even 'residents' whose opinions are less than valid

Anyone with eyes and half a brain today would be able to see that the only negative opinion i expressed was concerning out-of-place premed haters. I never claimed to have any insight on how a medical school curriculum should be run, what is or isn't medically feasible, or anything medically related at all. :confused:

Right and then you went on to talk about how excited u are for OMM. How is an out of place premed hater worse than an out of place premed fanboy? Wait till you get there before sharing these opinions per your own advice :thumbup:

Let's just not value anyone's negative opinions about it and call it good...as you can see there are pre med, intern and even 'residents' whose opinions are less than valid

Most of the haters are premeds. If an intern/resident had anything to say (positive or negative) about DOs and OMM (which there are), then those are the opinions that should matter to you people, because it comes with experience.

A premed talking about OMM validity and medical school curricula gets me to :rolleyes:.

Haha what! Why are you even in this thread then? How do you critically think if you disregard comments you deem as "negative." How close minded you are!

The title is "DO Discrimination" not "DO Doting."

Right and then you went on to talk about how excited u are for OMM. How is an out of place premed hater worse than an out of place premed fanboy? Wait till you get there before sharing these opinions per your own advice :thumbup:

Wait... Skinny DO isn't in school yet?!?! I think I just got a hernia from laughing!!!

:) I said one sentence, "I am very excited about OMM". I didn't type pages of intricate rhetoric trying to persuade you to be excited about it.

Again, I'm not claiming to have any magical insight on how to run an osteopathic medical curriculum or the real world efficacy of OMM, nor would I feel it my place to make claims that undermine thousands of physicians and DO school staff that have been doing this for a lot longer than me.

Not quite sure what your problem is with what I'm saying.

Wait... Skinny DO isn't in school yet?!?! I think I just got a hernia from laughing!!!

I start in 5 weeks. Not sure how that changes anything.

I really don't see the point of arguing with you people anymore. I've made my point.

you said more than that..... in case you forgot:

These two lines together are what MF-MN is laughing so hard about

I have done all of those so I'm not sure what you mean.

Yeah, but what does you doing all that mean? Did God come down from the heavens and impart some wisdom on you that other premeds don't have until they get their acceptance letter?

I could at least comprehend the point you were trying to make if you were a med student.....

I start in 5 weeks. Not sure how that changes anything.

I really don't see the point of arguing with you people anymore. I've made my point.

Are we arguing? I don't remember arguing on this thread (lately).

Yeah, but what does you doing all that mean? Did God come down from the heavens and impart some wisdom on you that other premeds don't have until they get their acceptance letter?

I could at least comprehend the point you were trying to make if you were a med student.....

He was trying to make me seem like I was contradicting myself, so I was pointing out that I clearly was not.

And my whole argument (if you read it) will be my answer to the bolded section.

Most of the haters are premeds. If an intern/resident had anything to say (positive or negative) about DOs and OMM (which there are), then those are the opinions that should matter to you people, because it comes with experience.

A premed talking about OMM validity and medical school curricula gets me to :rolleyes:.

Well, I tried to bail you out. One day you'll realize that you need to learn from everyone.

You don't know the background of people on the internet and when your only claim to validity is that you are an almighty med student, well...whose eyes should really be rolling here.

No one is impressed by your status and you shouldn't be impressed by a residents status.

If a fully licensed physician came here and bashed DOs or OMM in an unintelligent way, I would say the same to them.

Well, I tried to bail you out. One day you'll realize that you need to learn from everyone.

You don't know the background of people on the internet and when your only claim to validity is that you are an almighty med student, well...whose eyes should really be rolling here.

No one is impressed by your status and you shouldn't be impressed by a residents status.

If a fully licensed physician came here and bashed DOs or OMM in an unintelligent way, I would say the same to them.

This is the funny thing! He's not a med student!!

I don't disagree with you at all, except I didn't claim to be almighty (?).

You seem to me to be the most level headed in this present conversation.

You get OMM and OMT confused quite a bit. Also, you speak in generalities. This is one of you 'poor quality' arguments.

Can you think for a moment what it would mean to be 'completely not in line with the modern view of how the body works' and then form a more realistic argument.

OMM as a teaching foundation is great. OMT is great. OMT can be improved, but so can every procedure that exists. Next...

DO schools have a (slightly) different philosophy. Get over it. They are geared towards primary care, so yes, they tend to be more patient centered. Do you know the 'other parts' of OMM? I really think you need to research more...pray to your RAmen and gather the courage to back up the more bizarre things you say.

It's OK to disagree, but again, no one listens to tantrums.

Medicine is both science and art. You don't get that part.

Edit: a clinical focus doesn't constitute an aversion to research. There are also plenty of MD schools who are not research focused. We need both

I get wiccans and witches confused too. They still burn. :p jk

Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.