DO discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
put yourself in that list and you have a deal ;)

Not a list of people, but of comments.

To explain, I feel like this thread has 3-4 people arguing about things that seem juvenile. Since no one really wins an internet argument, I simply want to propose we either let this thread die or change its momentum to something useful. MD vs DO...its really not an argument for future colleague to engage in and its been my experience that the ONLY people who have a real prejudice one way or the other are either from the near dead generation or are trolling for kicks. Since we are all young here..:idea:

So, if you are with me, just stop arguing with those other folks on this thread and they will soon be irrelevant. Ya dig?

Members don't see this ad.

where is the fun in that?

(my relationship with pre-med idealism and overworked notions of "professional conduct" is one of love and hate ;) ya dig?)
If you don't like the thread and people are getting something out of it you are more than welcome to not read it or post in it. Feel free to stay on the outside passing judgement on those taking part, blissfully unaware of the irony involved in such an action :)

This is the internet, it's not your living room (although that may very well be your current location) where you are unable to escape.

(my relationship with pre-med idealism and overworked notions of "professional conduct" is one of love and hate ;) ya dig?)
If you don't like the thread and people are getting something out of it you are more than welcome to not read it or post in it. Feel free to stay on the outside passing judgement on those taking part, blissfully unaware of the irony involved in such an action :)

This is the internet, it's not your living room (although that may very well be your current location) where you are unable to escape.

As much as I literally hate specter, you gotta hand it to him, he's right....

Members don't see this ad :)
change its momentum to something useful. MD vs DO...

Could we maybe turn the discussion to advantages/disadvantages to going the D.O. Route vs. M.D. route (as well the pro's / con's of D.O. curriculum vs. that of an MD curriculum, for purposes of school selection)? I have my own opinions and sentiments regarding each, I'm just curious whats out there in the way of why some people prefer DO over MD and why some MD over DO, and the advantages/disadvantages that are to be had from each set of curricula....

Tell me that if you needed foot surgery, you'd go to a DPM, and i'll take it back.

:cool::p

Yes, there is a surgery that I would utilize a DPM for if I needed it :) there. I think I fulfilled the letter of the law if not the spirit of it ;)

Could we maybe turn the discussion to advantages/disadvantages to going the D.O. Route vs. M.D. route (as well the pro's / con's of D.O. curriculum vs. that of an MD curriculum, for purposes of school selection)? I have my own opinions and sentiments regarding each, I'm just curious whats out there in the way of why some people prefer DO over MD and why some MD over DO, and the advantages/disadvantages that are to be had from each set of curricula....

MD: You're a doctor, no caveats, people love you. You get fast cars, and hot wives.

DO: You're a doctor, threads like these exist about you, you learn OMM, then forget all about it. You probably still get fast cars and hot wives.

DPM: Fast cars, and hot wives, easy admissions. Threads like these follow you around your whole life, but you got a 20 on the MCAT and honey badger don't care.

Yes, there is a surgery that I would utilize a DPM for if I needed it :) there. I think I fulfilled the letter of the law if not the spirit of it ;)

Lol, probably hammertoe or a bunion. I mean, whateva, it's all good. As long as I can hoodwink the rest of the population into thinking i can perform some type of surgery and the government reimburses me for it, i'll be good.

MD: You're a doctor, no caveats, people love you. You get fast cars, and hot wives.

DO: You're a doctor, threads like these exist about you, you learn OMM, then forget all about it. You probably still get fast cars and hot wives.

DPM: Fast cars, and hot wives, easy admissions. Threads like these follow you around your whole life, but you got a 20 on the MCAT and honey badger don't care.

So, then OMM if is not really used in practice, why do they devote a significant portion of the curriculum to OMM, when that time could be better spent studying something more practical in the context of skills you might actually call upon in residency?

So, then OMM if is not really used in practice, why do they devote a significant portion of the curriculum to OMM, when that time could be better spent studying something more practical in the context of skills you might actually call upon in residency?

Because the AOA is stupid.

Honestly though guys, i think this is my favorite thread on SDN.

There is just so many layers to what has gone on here.

The problem is that this thread took a turn from decent discussion to misinformation being tossed around like fact. I'm glad you are getting something out of it, it really shows your creativity.

I come to the inside to pass my judgement and I haven't been shy about it. Theres nothing ironic in trying to bring this thread back to a useful discussion rather than the Facebook timeline some of you are using it for.

But, you are right in one thing. This is not my living room. I don't own this public space...But I do use it. And people will read this in the future so I do feel compelled to give a voice of reason here and there...and Im not alone.

Its kinda like the time I found some teenagers smoking pot and peeing in a public park that I take my nieces and nephews to. I didn't own the place, but I did see that they were misusing it and making the public space a worse place. So, I got my paintball gun and brought down my righteous judgement. ;)

You guys are smoking pot and peeing on an intellectual discussion board. I merely suggest you take it to another arena (Facebook? Email? PM?...start a book club!)

Members don't see this ad :)

lol awesome

Lol, probably hammertoe or a bunion. I mean, whateva, it's all good. As long as I can hoodwink the rest of the population into thinking i can perform some type of surgery and the government reimburses me for it, i'll be good.

id also let you pick out my orthotic shoes :)

Its not really a significant portion....

Because the AOA is stupid.

this is true.... but maybe "stubborn" is a better word.

The problem is that this thread took a turn from decent discussion to misinformation being tossed around like fact. I'm glad you are getting something out of it, it really shows your creativity.

I come to the inside to pass my judgement and I haven't been shy about it. Theres nothing ironic in trying to bring this thread back to a useful discussion rather than the Facebook timeline some of you are using it for.

But, you are right in one thing. This is not my living room. I don't own this public space...But I do use it. And people will read this in the future so I do feel compelled to give a voice of reason here and there...and Im not alone.

Its kinda like the time I found some teenagers smoking pot and peeing in a public park that I take my nieces and nephews to. I didn't own the place, but I did see that they were misusing it and making the public space a worse place. So, I got my paintball gun and brought down my righteous judgement. ;)

You guys are smoking pot and peeing on an intellectual discussion board. I merely suggest you take it to another arena (Facebook? Email? PM?...start a book club!)
Where was all this misinformation? If you are referring to Jonathan's near "Kentucky fried homophobia" approach to OMM well, that's gone. Otherwise it is more appropriate to correct such misinformation rather than to just come in and drop "so dumb :rolleyes:" in the voice of a middle school girl.

Word on the street is you like dipping feet in BBQ sauce

Lol, this is what I'm talking about!!! Right after that dude posted the holier than thou speech too! Man, this thread is the best.

And actually, I had some sweet baby ray's yesterday (not on feet though, sorry!) and man is it good.

Whew.

It's threads like this that remind me exactly how psychotic SDN is.

Exactly!!!!

Ive stopped commining on here

Good thing no one takes sdn seriously

People hiding behind their computer
With no clue of the real world

Couple of things I find interesting HL, these people were smoking pot (how did you know it was pot? Did you get that close?), and peeing in a park... I assume these people were peeing in a wooded part of the park and not down the slide or something like that (I know I have given you the perfect answer to this to lie to me, but I think you'll tell the truth). What's wrong with that? Do not animals per in the park everyday? In sure birds drop loads or uric acid all over the swingset, yet you don't mind them... And marijuana.... Why do you care they were smoking marijuana? Was it harming you, or affecting you negatively in a way a cigarette smoker would not?

Then, you go and resort to violence. Did you ask them politely first to leave because for some reason you felt uncomfortable with them smoking in your park? I doubt it. (again, go ahead and lie here if you want, too)

You seem like your resorting to violence is symptomatic of some mental disorder. If I were to pee in the woods in a park, and someone shot me with a paintball gun, you better believed I would have retaliated, and I'm a crazy pot-smoking-park-pee-er too (in this hypothetical)! I might just eat your face off!

Dude, you gotta calm down. I literally cannot believe you shot someone, go seek medical help immediately before you see a real crime and decide to shoot them with a real gun next time: "Man Massacres group of Teenagers Vandalizing Park."

Couple of things I find interesting HL, these people were smoking pot (how did you know it was pot? Did you get that close?), and peeing in a park... I assume these people were peeing in a wooded part of the park and not down the slide or something like that (I know I have given you the perfect answer to this to lie to me, but I think you'll tell the truth). What's wrong with that? Do not animals per in the park everyday? In sure birds drop loads or uric acid all over the swingset, yet you don't mind them... And marijuana.... Why do you care they were smoking marijuana? Was it harming you, or affecting you negatively in a way a cigarette smoker would not?

Then, you go and resort to violence. Did you ask them politely first to leave because for some reason you felt uncomfortable with them smoking in your park? I doubt it. (again, go ahead and lie here if you want, too)

You seem like your resorting to violence is symptomatic of some mental disorder. If I were to pee in the woods in a park, and someone shot me with a paintball gun, you better believed I would have retaliated, and I'm a crazy pot-smoking-park-pee-er too (in this hypothetical)! I might just eat your face off!

Dude, you gotta calm down. I literally cannot believe you shot someone, go seek medical help immediately before you see a real crime and decide to shoot them with a real gun next time: "Man Massacres group of Teenagers Vandalizing Park."
too many mimosas this morning?

EDIT:

PFFFTTTTTT!!!! :laugh:
I just saw ur user title. Is that new?

Hey man I'd say go back through the thread and you'll find your answer but it's like 500 replies now so I'll save you the hassle.

OMM is actually not a significant portion of the curriculum (as far as time and credit hours go). It's still the "main difference" between MD and DO curriculum but I spend an hour in lecture and 2 in lab each week. That's it. That's three hours a week out of med school curriculum which is miniscule. And I study the day before....even for the final.

We spend much more time on pharm, phys, path, and all the other subjects (as we should).

EDIT: Anyone up for contacting someone to close this thread? It's run its course and it sucks to have "DO Discrimination" be one of the top three threads. Someone can start a "DO Curriculum" thread or something...

Last edited:
EDIT: Anyone up for contacting someone to close this thread? It's run its course and it sucks to have "DO Discrimination" be one of the top three threads. Someone can start a "DO Curriculum" thread or something...

To be honest, I'm surprised that it hasn't been already.

This thread was so ridiculous, so pointless, so ineffective.

Please bring it back.

I am currently working on finishing up my DO degree from Virginia College. It's been an online course. I love the video anatomy workshops and open book tests. I plan to apply to numerous neurosurgery residencies, but I'm keeping my options open for ophtho, rads, and ENT as well.

Our program director tells us the only difference between DOs and MDs is the level of arrogance, and that the MCAT discriminates against people who aren't good at answering test questions.

I am currently working on finishing up my DO degree from Virginia College. It's been an online course. I love the video anatomy workshops and open book tests. I plan to apply to numerous neurosurgery residencies, but I'm keeping my options open for ophtho, rads, and ENT as well.

Our program director tells us the only difference between DOs and MDs is the level of arrogance, and that the MCAT discriminates against people who aren't good at answering test questions.

It took forever to get this thread to die. Now you bump it just to make a completely non-contributory post? I don't even know what you just said or what it is supposed to mean. Thanks!

Best of luck to you... there have been exactly 3 DOs admitted to ACGME neuro surg residencies in the last 5 years, unless you are counting AOA of which there are 11 programs.... This isnt really "numerous" for the average applicant.

You sure you not a DNP? :smuggrin:

I still don't really see the sarcasm in it.... Aside from the online thing, that post doesnt seem that out of place..

Eh.... you're probably right. I guess I was only skimming too lol

So funny that there is any discrimination really. I think being non-traditional makes you care a lot less. I could be discriminated in my current position because i dont have a masters and im over my department, but no one cares because I do a good job. I assume medicine is the same in the real world and to patients. If you do a good job, who cares? Also, you're a doctor. That's kind of a big deal.

So funny that there is any discrimination really. I think being non-traditional makes you care a lot less. I could be discriminated in my current position because i dont have a masters and im over my department, but no one cares because I do a good job. I assume medicine is the same in the real world and to patients. If you do a good job, who cares? Also, you're a doctor. That's kind of a big deal.

Unless you are just a DO....

Unless you are just a DO....

obvious+troll+_2059750cb4dbdeace129b6af5df50084.png

Sometimes I wonder why such posts are made.... I mean obviously they aren't even funny or humorous in any way which leads me to believe that this guy gets off on peoples responses. Don't feed into his masturbation addiction.

Plus he seems to be affiliated with Auburn. This is typical barner behavior, trying to draw attention to their mediocre lives.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Also, lighten up, everyone. Don't take life so seriously. The guy who replied to my post was obviously joking. Lots of med/pre-meds have that kind of humor.

Also, lighten up, everyone. Don't take life so seriously. The guy who replied to my post was obviously joking. Lots of med/pre-meds have that kind of humor.

The unfunny kind?

Word.

I think the fact that joke made people upset implies something.

Like if you call a skinny kid "fatty" he's not going to get mad, I bet....

Status
Not open for further replies.