DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all. so Dirk Diggler, you say you just finished your first year. do you know Luke Budleski? he went to school with me in Eau Claire.

Members don't see this ad.

Did I read DVD? Good! We can get our trade on!

Hey there kid, yeah, for about 6months when I first got my DVD player I spent every cent on DVD's... got about 60 now. If I had it my way, that number would be a lot higher. Yes, DSM = Des Moines and WDM = West Des Moines. My brother and I always love cruising the "bad neighborhoods" of DSM and Omaha.... its always a good laugh to see these guys trying to be thugs! Anyways, swapping DVD's sounds cool... see yo a$$ at the Compton Swap Meet!

Durden, Luke is a very good friend of mine. He was one of the first people I meet in my class during orientation. looking forward to meeting you in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
JS
that's cool that you know luke. he's a great guy, he's been hooking me up with all kinds of info, it makes the whole process easier. Luke and I had a bunch of classes together, you know, friendly competition.

We're all just a big family here!!! :D

Later y'all....

Meeting with Dr. Heiderscheit was awesome as always.... He has opened his door for those interested in doing research with him.... Let me know if you guys are interested and I can give you guys his email....

Durden, give Luke some crap about his "hog." He's got a moped with a harley sticker on it.... pretty funny to watch him riding around.

WELCOME TO PAGE 48!!!

jsdmu,

I forgot to ask you.... are you working on that proposal to get a DO in ER? or you just have too much on your belt right now? It's all good bro'

I just emailed WB about getting an osteopathic physician in 7th Heaven.... one of the oldest brother is a pre med and I made up a story line that he starts learning about osteo through his hospital volunteering.... I wonder if they buy it?! :D

I need to chill.... :cool:

I've began to read "THE HOUSE OF GOD".... so far so good.... I'm not sure how to react.... sometimes I'm laughing and other times I'm asking myself whether or not to laugh.... Has anyone else read this?

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the gomer!!! :(

I wonder if a new member from SDN lightning bonesetter will be reading this thread.... he/she is from Des Moines....

lightning bonesetter = A.T. Stills

Nice screen name.... :cool:

POPOY
House of God is a great book,but I often felt the way you are about it. i just hope i get a guy like The Fat man to head my internship.
JS
isn't luke's "hog" great! I used to ride that thing around eau claire honking the little horn. :D

regarding the "GOMER's", we are going to see more and more of them as our population is aging and placement for them in Long Term Care facilities becomes more difficult with limited space. I don't think that in the book that they are making fun of the gomers, its more that they are recognizing that this patient population exists and try to figure out how to really deal with it. I think they also shed light on the fact that although we may not voice it, many of us feel that if we ever became a gomer, we would rather be dead.

JP, I told you it was a great book... let me know when you get to the part where they are talking about the bed heigths at the hospital.

Durden, Luke and his Hog is one of the famous sight seeing moments at DMU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hog??? :confused:

I must see this great sight.... :D

Thanks for the insight about House of God.... You guys are absolutely right, I'm enjoying the book.... :cool:

Popoy,

I can't wait for something in Az when DMU has already let me in. Although it will increase my debt signigicantly to go elsewhere, I'm gonna be a doc regardless of where I go.

I feel very blessed to be accepted to ANY of the schools I applied to. It's just that Azcom offers a free house for me to live in, family support all around and WAY less debt. To me those things are extremely important and incites me to hold out for that opportunity. But what's all this talk for? I'm not accepted to Azcom but I am to DMU and I'm VERY happy about it.

I DID find a GREAT deal on a house in a good neighborhood a couple miles almost due north of the school.

Looks like it will close AFTER school starts so my wife and kids will stay in NE while I go to school.

Midwest rulz,

Dave

Cool Dave.... I'm glad you're a part of our class and I look forward to meeting you....

House of God tends to get really slow towards the end. A book I loved was "A Case of Need" (or something like that) with Michael Chrichton (spelled something like that).

I can't wait to get my stuff into DSM, but I'm sorry I'll only be there a couple of days. Don't worry, though - once I get down we'll all have to party it up for a day before school gets the better of us all!

SWDAVE - Welcome to Iowa, my man! It's going to be good to meet you, and I can't wait.

Sorry about missing the family early on. Don't worry about incurring debt. When you sell the house, even if you break even, you are fine.

At least you aren't getting stiffed for rent like I am! Welcome.

Alright.... I got to the bed part of THE HOUSE OF GOD.... I was puzzled yet amused.... I see this bed being controlled up, down, sideways, upsidedown, up, up, up to all those floors.... :D

On a more serious note:

Is anyone considering the SOMA health, dental, vision plans?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this... if any....

I think I am, but we talked about this already!!!

Happy 4th to all!!!! Hope ya'll are doin well and no one gets any cook out E. coli!

See all of you future DMU'ers soon!

---Josh

WELCOME TO PAGE 49!!!!

Ditto.... Happy 4th of July!!! :D ;) :) :p :rolleyes: :cool:

Happy 4th of July, my friends. I celebrated by the purchase of two new DVD's: Snatch and Crouching Tiger.

Hey - is there a Costco in DSM?

Kid, sorry but there is no Costco in DSM as far as I know... maybe JP can look it up in the phone book for you though. Electronic super-stores are few and far between in DSM. There is only one Best Buy that I know of, another place called American something or other, and no Circuit City. The best Buy is pretty nice though and its out about where you are going to be living... as well as Des Moines' one and only Taco Bell. Sorry... but there is something inherently wrong with only having one Taco Bell!!!!!

Snatch????????

No COSTCO!!! :(

That was actually the first store my wife and I looked up.... The only thing equivalent to Cosco in DSM is SAM's Club!!! It's practically the same thing.... So get a Sam's Club membership.... I did :D

I asked the Sam's Club peeps and they said there use to be a Cosco but it went out of business or got taken over.... Walmart and Sam's Club rules in DSM....

If you want cheap DVD's similar to Cosco... Sam's Club has it....

Did you know that there's a tradition in URBANDALE that consist of tossing 180,000 candies to the spectators?....Damn, I missed an opportunity.... Next year baby!!!!

Someone else posted this on a different thread, but you guys should try it....

It's called MSAT = Medical Specialty Aptitude Test.... It ranks the different specialties you would likely match with depending on your tendencies and personal characteristics...

Here's the site: http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

My first rank specialty is radiation oncology, followed by

2 occupational med,
3 physical med and rehbiltation,
4 med oncology
5 dermatology
6 pediatrics
7 colon & rectal surgery
8 OB/GYN
9 rheumatology
12 preventative med
14 anesthesiology
19 emergency med
25 orthopedic surgery
29 general surgery
36 endocrinology (that's the last of the ranked...)

I thought it was interesting....if you folks have a chance do the MSAT and let me know what your first and last ranks were.... :D

I'm not taking it seriously, just thought it was amusing....

Later y'all....

What a screwed up test! It should just say: I tend to....

Like Radiology
Like Family Practice
Etc...

Seemed like that. Repeated questions bothered me. I disagree with the outcome:
(perhaps pediatrics)

Rank Specialty Score
1 radiology 47
2 pediatrics 46
3 gastroenterology 46
4 dermatology 46
5 nuclear med 45
6 nephrology 45
7 plastic surgery 45
8 physical med & rehabilitation 45
9 urology 45
10 ophthalmology 44
11 med oncology 44
12 family practice 44
13 hematology 44
14 endocrinology 44
15 radiation oncology 44
16 colon & rectal surgery 43
17 cardiology 43
18 emergency med 43
19 neurosurgery 43
20 otolaryngology 43
21 occupational med 43
22 thoracic surgery 42
23 orthopaedic surgery 42
24 rheumatology 42
25 pulmonology 42
26 general internal med 42
27 allergy & immunology 42
28 anesthesiology 41
29 pathology 41
30 general surgery 40
31 infectious disease 40
32 neurology 39
33 aerospace med 39
34 obstetrics/gynecology 39
35 preventive med 38
36 psychiatry 37

Same thoughts went through my mind when I took it.... the questions kept repeating itself and I found a pattern....

Anyway, just thought I'd share it and see how much it screws with you guy's mind :D specially jsdmu's because we talked a little bit about residencies he wants to pursue :D

Later....

Hey guys,

You're pretty entertaining, although I wasn't up to reading all 49 pages. I just had to let you know that there are actually 4 Taco Bells in Des Moines. 1 on 22nd in West DSM, 1 on Euclid, 1 near Drake University and a brand new one near downtown. See, life here is getting better! Good luck to you guys...

Stef
DMU MS-3 (in 20 days!)

Good lord. Did they put that in the Des Moines Register? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Kansai, thank you for that info on Taco Bell! I've just finished my first year and I know how to get to Best Buy, Blockbuster, and two grocery stores... aside from that I don't know what else exists in Des Mones! Yes, sad but true. Spend enough time in the midwest (about 25 years) and every town in the midwest looks the same.

Hey guys, I just tried that MSAT... wasn't too surprised by the results.
1. gen surg
2. ENT
3. OB/GYN
4. Plastic Surg
5. CT Surg
6. Pulm.
7. Urology
8. Ortho
9. Nuclear med
10. GI
11. anesth....

This really didn't surprise me because a lot of "I like getting involved in my patients lives and families..." questions came up. Sorry folks, but I'm not the FP kinda guy, so the results weren't too surprising.

JP, do me a favor (if you have time and feel like it).... check out Kent Rays new thread and go over to the school and see if its true. Also, call Dr. Reeds office and see if the surg residency is still intact.... just tell them I told you to call and they will give you all the info you need. Thanks a million. I'll be back friday afternoon sometime, give you a buzz then.

Josh Smith (AKA: Baking in the Midwest)

Just got back from Chicago and definitely notice the thread by Kent Ray....

I'll go check it out tomorrow.... See what's up....

We have a fellow DMU'er that's giving us suggestions.... I hope he/she will start posting here....

How much does a portable table for OMM usually cost? Just wondering because I know one is being sold at the bookstore and I want to make sure I'm getting the best/cheapest value for it....

JP (and others), its just my opinion, but I really didn't find the tables that useful to have at home. When you are reviewing for practicles or just treating friends, there are tables all over the school to use. I got a hand-me-down table for free... best way to go of course. If you feel that you really need to have your own, UAAO is the group that sells them. It costs $400 regularly or $350 if you join UAAO. So there it is. I think that there are better ways to invest your money at the moment.

It's all good thanks for the feedback Josh....

BTW, I went to Dr. Reed's office and found out that the surgical residency program is still intact.... "They are trying there best to make the best of the situation" so said Glenda (his administrative assistant).... So don't worry FOR NOW Josh regarding the surgical residency its still intact!!! Yeehaw!!!

Someone is selling their table but I went to the bookstore today and it's gone!!! :(

Oh well.... I may end up getting a table so I can do some OMM for personal use with my family and friends.... Just a preference.... Now if someone can give me a hand me down that would be the BOMBDIGGIDI!!! :cool:

I saw the OMM fellows at the Med Center today.... They're look like the Mafia or something.... Like an elite team of OMM fighting machines :D

In all seriousness, they look elite....

BTW, according to the message board DMU-OMC Class of 2004,check you email or contact (I forgot the name) regarding your SPAL assignments.....

There several postings on the message board.... you '04's should check it out....

Here's more....

Message Board phone number is: (515)271-1028

If anyone needs to get a hold of you, they can post there.... :D

Popoy,

What does the class of '04 need to check out on the message monitors? I guess that since we are not in class that is the place to post things.

I posted it above... something about checking your email/mail regarding your SPAL assignments..... Not sure about specifics.

Hey all! I spent the week in Omaha and ended up running into a lot of DO and MD physicians that I have come to know in the Omaha area. Whenever I mentioned that I had just finished my first year at DMU, they were all really excited and told me that they would love to have students from our school coming to spend time with them shadowing as well as doing rotations at both Creighton and UNMC. I fact, many of the Creighton doctors I spoke with were disgusted with their own students and mentioned how impressed they were with our students.... take it all how you will, but it certainly brought a smile to my face!

V-Tach, I still have two of your DVD's, I'll call you tomorrow... maybe hook up sometime.

DAMN HOT!!! Here this weekend.... It's been humid all freakin' night.... Our aparment alarm went off in the middle of the night.... I've barely slept for only a couple of hours.... Just another adventure in my time here in DSM :D

Kid T, it was a pleasure to meet a true pimp like yourself. Detroit has taught you well my hommie! I hope you had a safe and VERY exciting drive home.

JP, I am currently enjoying my cool refreshing AC.... :D :D

ha, ha, ha!!! :D

I wished we had AC NOW!!! Damn humidity is killing meeeeee.....

We have air blowing but it's hot air.... I've taken 5 freakin baths in one day.... is so HOT!!!! :(

KidT, it was a pleasure to me such a dudemiister like yourself... Hope you had a safe trip back home.... Give me a call when you get back and I'll return your DVD's and we can chill somewhere.... Thanks again.....

Yeehaw.... it's getting cooler :D :D :D

"Nope. I'm tellin you that the cure is the disease. The main source of illness in this world is the doctor's own illess: his compulsion to try to cure and his faudulent belief that he can. It ain't easy to do nothing, now that society is telling everyone that the body is fundamenally flaed and about to self-destruct. People are afraid they're on the verge of death all the time, and that they'd better get their "routine physical" right awy. Physicals! How much have you ever learned from a physical?"

--The Fat Man, THE HOUSE OF GOD--

Thought it was an interesting quote to share.... :cool: