DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all those waitlisters out there..I emailed admissions and to date there has been no movement at all on the alternate list. The class is still at capacity despite the previously posted withdrawals.

Just wondering...how is the alternate list different from the regular waitlist at DMU?

Members don't see this ad.

They're the same thing....I was just using them interchangeably...my bad. There's been no movement despite the few withdrawals posted in the last few weeks which most likely means the class is overbooked by a few students...at least that's what I make of it

that's what i think too. i called them yesterday to ask about the waitlist, and i was told that they have not gotten to the alternate list as yet........ :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
They're the same thing....I was just using them interchangeably...my bad. There's been no movement despite the few withdrawals posted in the last few weeks which most likely means the class is overbooked by a few students...at least that's what I make of it

That definitely makes sense. As the month of June withers to a close I lost most hope for a DMU acceptance. I guess we can hope that a lot of people are holding multiple acceptances and will withdraw in July...but that's just me being unrealistically optimistic. It makes sense that there is little movement though because DMU was pretty amazing.

I think AACOM should adopt a similar style as AMCAS with the May 15th deadline for multiple acceptances. Having everything being all over the place stinks. :(

I am giving up on the alternate list too as I am going apartment hunting next week at my second choice so the list will most likely be one shorter come the end of next week once I sign a lease.

Looking around the other threads, it looks like few wait lists at osteopathic schools are actually moving this year. Either everyone is satisfied with where they were accepted or there are people holding multiple acceptances.

I am giving up on the alternate list too as I am going apartment hunting next week at my second choice so the list will most likely be one shorter come the end of next week once I sign a lease.

Looking around the other threads, it looks like few wait lists at osteopathic schools are actually moving this year. Either everyone is satisfied with where they were accepted or there are people holding multiple acceptances.

Hoping for the latter.. :xf:

If u don't mind Sharing, what is your second option. It's fine if u don't wanna share

My 2nd choice is Nycom, a good school but its facilities don't really compare to DMU. Plus, when all the expenses are considered, it's a lot cheaper to go to school in the midwest versus long island.

My 2nd choice is Nycom, a good school but its facilities don't really compare to DMU. Plus, when all the expenses are considered, it's a lot cheaper to go to school in the midwest versus long island.

I got into nycom but turned it down because I didn't think it was for me...now I'm starting to get ready to reapply, but having to go through it all again is not something I at all am looking forward to...I hope one of the waitlists I'm on moves...:xf:DMU

well I just did some facebook stalking and it appears there are 126 in the DMU 2014 facebook group. There are at least 15+ current students in it...if DMU has a class of 220 or so, I'm surprised the group is so small...are there really that many people who aren't addicted to facebook? haha

Hey. Not that this really helps, but I gave up my spot at DMU a month ago. That's at least one more, and I can almost guarantee there will be some movement. It's funny that they have told you there has been no movement from the waitlist by now. That's mind boggling.

I did have one interviewer at one of the schools I interviewed at say that med school applications were at an all time high this year. Many pre-meds see the economy the way it is and want to get on a career track that is stable and rewarding a few years down the road. I'm guessing that's why there are a lot of people finding themselves on waitlists, and ones that aren't moving.

As for Facebook, I'm still in the group of accepted students, so I shall withdraw from there to make everyone's speculations more accurate :) Good luck everyone.

DMU, where art thou? Why doesn't thy alternate list move?

DMU, where art thou? Why doesn't thy alternate list move?

getting a little poetic I see, haha. Well it's starting to look more and more grim every day...it seems nobodies hearing anything from DMU...but it does seem like alternate lists at other schools are finally starting to pick up, so hopefully this will lead to some movement at DMU, I hope!!! :confused:

Just withdrew yesterday, so don't lose hope! I'm IS btw, in case that interests anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew yesterday, so don't lose hope! I'm IS btw, in case that interests anyone.

:D Let's hope your withdrawal is the one to blow the dust off of the alternate list and let's hope we see some movement already!!!

Just submitted my 2011 aacomas with only a few schools, this way I'll be verified if my waitlists don't work out for me and can then add more schools if need be. I've never wanted to loose $200 more than I do now...but if I've learnt anything this year with applying to med school, it's better to be safe than to take risks...:rolleyes: haha

I'm going to be taking my name off the alternate list most likely tomorrow so for those that remain, thats one less to have to compete with. I still can't believe that there still hasn't been any movement yet with those withdrawals. Oh well, I'm off to NY, hopefully you guys will hear something soon!

I officially withdrew from the alternate list. Goodluck to everyone still waiting, I hope you get some movement soon. DMU is a good school and is worth the wait, I just couldn't afford it anymore. I had to start getting set up at NYCOM as I do have kids and a wife who are going through this with me and I couldn't leave them in limbo for any longer out of fairness.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, I hope you hear back soon!

Ok So I know it is kinda early to talk about books and quizzes but I just want to know which reference book you guys used to start off biochem. BRS? Lippn? or any others??

Same with other courses which reference book to use with anatomy? Pathology? and all those 4 weeks course like cell bio etc??

Should I buy first aid right away to annotate biochem or just wait for january to get a new edition?? I am so confused..plz any second year who can input in this one?

Also are we going to have pop qiuzzes and stuff? or poll questions that count towards your grade?

Ok So I know it is kinda early to talk about books and quizzes but I just want to know which reference book you guys used to start off biochem. BRS? Lippn? or any others??

Same with other courses which reference book to use with anatomy? Pathology? and all those 4 weeks course like cell bio etc??

Should I buy first aid right away to annotate biochem or just wait for january to get a new edition?? I am so confused..plz any second year who can input in this one?

Also are we going to have pop qiuzzes and stuff? or poll questions that count towards your grade?

I'm also curious about the answers to these questions. Been wondering myself ;b

I can't really comment on which reference books to use because I just finished my first year and I never used books to study. Well, I did use Netter's and the dead book (nickname for a book with pictures of cadavers) during anatomy. But I'll tell you what a second year just told me...He recommended that I buy first aid and follow it along for second year courses. I don't think he used any board review books during first year. Hopefully there's someone else on here that can give you more insight on this.

We only had pop quizzes in one class last year. They were in cell bio, and the quizzes usually were pretty easy. The only downside is that you actually have to go to class to take the quizzes, which I'm not a fan of. For every other course, we knew exactly when the exams were going to be held. Now that I think about it, I believe that cell bio was the only class that we had quizzes for at all.

As far as poll questions go, they do not count towards your grade. For each class, 50 students are randomly assigned to fill out a survey at the end of a course. These are mandatory for these 50 people, but they're not a big deal.

Thanks Spooner13 for your information regarding quiz and poll. Is there anyone who can suggest review books for first year?

I can't really comment on which reference books to use because I just finished my first year and I never used books to study. Well, I did use Netter's and the dead book (nickname for a book with pictures of cadavers) during anatomy. But I'll tell you what a second year just told me...He recommended that I buy first aid and follow it along for second year courses. I don't think he used any board review books during first year. Hopefully there's someone else on here that can give you more insight on this.

We only had pop quizzes in one class last year. They were in cell bio, and the quizzes usually were pretty easy. The only downside is that you actually have to go to class to take the quizzes, which I'm not a fan of. For every other course, we knew exactly when the exams were going to be held. Now that I think about it, I believe that cell bio was the only class that we had quizzes for at all.

As far as poll questions go, they do not count towards your grade. For each class, 50 students are randomly assigned to fill out a survey at the end of a course. These are mandatory for these 50 people, but they're not a big deal.

Thanks Spooner13 for your information regarding quiz and poll. Is there anyone who can suggest review books for first year?

For Pete's sake, do not buy any review books for first year. The only books you need are the Moore Essential Clinical Anatomy and an anatomy atlas - I'd recommend the Thieme one over Netter, since Netter hasn't been updated in who knows how many decades; Thieme is computer-generated images that are clean and well described. Your tests first year are based on the class notes, which are provided to you. If you need a reference, use the library - it's free and convenient, and most books needed can be accessed online through the portal.
You really don't even need review books for second year. The best thing to do to prepare for boards is go to class, pay attention (instead of going just to sit and facebook/dick around on the internet), and do some studying in the evening for a couple of hours (or wake up early if you're a morning person). Don't even think about boards until after spring-break of second year. Those who tend to do well in classes and know their stuff tend to do better on boards.
I know starting med school is exciting, but save your loan money and don't go nuts buying stuff you won't need. Most everything you'll need for the first 2 years is provided for you.

Any waitlisters who are still waiting, the class is still overfilled and no movement has occurred as per the admissions office to date...prospects of movement looking more and more unlikely with each passing day.:(

I would consider a different school. Read the "facing dismissal" thread under osteopathic medical students.

I would consider a different school. Read the "facing dismissal" thread under osteopathic medical students.

Don't feel like skimming through 4 pages of that thread and not sure what your point was. Did DMU screw over a student or something? Please summarize for a lazy ***** like me.

Any waitlisters who are still waiting, the class is still overfilled and no movement has occurred as per the admissions office to date...prospects of movement looking more and more unlikely with each passing day.:(

When I contacted them the other day I felt a similar vibe, it looks like I'm gonna have to go through with the whole re-applying thing :thumbdown:thumbdown Here's to hoping that these last few weeks bring some change:xf: but realistically, there doesn't look like there's a light at the end of the tunnel :confused:

Oh come on. It sucks you failed out, but that's life. The vast majority of people that are accepted and will attend here won't have to even think about the dismissal policy. So don't come in here and tell people not to go because of your isolated experience.

Although I pity the situation you are in, I don't think it warrants trash mouthing the school to its future students.

On that note...still no waitlist movement? Any recent/soon to be withdrawals? The thought of reapplying is killing me...:(

Although I pity the situation you are in, I don't think it warrants trash mouthing the school to its future students.

On that note...still no waitlist movement? Any recent/soon to be withdrawals? The thought of reapplying is killing me...:(

I contacted admissions today in attempts to find out how overfull the class is but they won't give that info out, which is understandable. Their tone did indicate that there is little hope of getting off the waitlist this year, which suggests that it is still pretty overfull, which is unfortunate for us waitlisters.:shrug:

They are still overbooked by about 20 students....

They are still overbooked by about 20 students....

Wow, I thought it was going to be like 5 or 10 but 20 students is a lot of people to drop out between now and August. I guess my prospects of getting in are pretty horrible then. I guess I should probably focus on my other waitlist and start sending in secondaries for next year.

Read it.

I know 3 people personally who were struggling with grades at DMU. One was diagnosed with a learning disability placed on the "5 year program". One was just struggling with his studies and was also placed on the 5 year track. Both graduated this year.

The third failed out in second year due to personal struggles. Addressed these issues, was honest about them and was allowed to come back. He has had a very successful first year and will be starting second year this Wednesday.

DMU is very fair and makes accomadations for those who are not as successful as they might have hoped. But the student needs to be honest about the situation and let the faculty know what's going on.

DMU is a great school.

Oh by the way that 3rd student is me.

just received this in my email. I doubt that anyone on the wait list will be getting calls anytime soon.

Good afternoon,

I am sure you are excited and possibly a bit nervous about starting medical school in a little less than 2 weeks! We are busily preparing for a great orientation week, during which we will be welcoming over 360 new students to DMU.

As orientation approaches, we find ourselves in a unique situation. Throughout each year's admission cycle, we interview and accept students - most of whom ultimately matriculate here, and some of whom make other plans. We do our very best to admit the specific number of students needed to fill the available seats in the class as set out by the Council on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA). It is, however, not a perfect science. Some people pay a seat deposit and later cancel. Others request a deferral and make plans to enroll the next year. As a result, we may end up with a few less or a few more students than we have spaces.

This year, we are a few over. In order to comply with COCA's rules, we are in a position where we need to try and identify a handful of students who would consider deferring attendance for one year. If you are willing to consider doing so, we can offer a limited number of one-time scholarships for $10,000 toward your first year's tuition.

We understand most of you are already past the point where you can defer. If, for any reason, you would welcome an opportunity to delay starting medical school for another year, please contact us at your earliest convenience, and we will discuss the specifics with you. We can be reached via email at [email protected] or by phone at 515.271.1450. In fairness to anyone who does have an interest, we will review requests in the order we receive them.

Again, we are eager to welcome you to DMU - in a couple of weeks, or perhaps this same time next year,
Jamie

attachment.ashx

Jamie Rehmann
Director of Admission
College of Osteopathic Medicine
3200 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50312
515-271-1450 • 800-240-2767 ext. 1450
www.dmu.edu