DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else get their username and password for the DMU student portal? I guess it just hit me that we have 6 or 7 months left until school starts (it said orientation was Aug. 4-7 I believe).

Yes!! I got mine a few days ago as well...It is starting to feel more "official" now!!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get their username and password for the DMU student portal? I guess it just hit me that we have 6 or 7 months left until school starts (it said orientation was Aug. 4-7 I believe).

still waiting for it :sleep:

Hi,
I am supposed to find out on the 23rd whether I got into DMU or not. Well, my NSU deposit is due on the 23rd as well. So, I am wondering if you got the email in the morning. That would really help me. I am going to call them on that day and explain the situation. DMU is higher priority for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know DMU says they look for a 30 mcat min. for giving academic scholarships, but do you think my stats will be considered?

Hi folks, new here, well not really new but just never been active...

Anyways, I received an interview invitation from DMU just a couple of days ago. I wanted to know what your impressions of school (those who have interviewed). Any tips?

Thanks

Hi folks, new here, well not really new but just never been active...

Anyways, I received an interview invitation from DMU just a couple of days ago. I wanted to know what your impressions of school (those who have interviewed). Any tips?

Thanks

I was really impressed with the school. Great facilities - their sim lab and surgical skills lab were great. The students seem to really love it there, the faculty were really nice and seemed to really want to be in tune with their students. As for tips, just be yourself. The interview was pretty conversational and low keyed...

I know DMU says they look for a 30 mcat min. for giving academic scholarships, but do you think my stats will be considered?

The criteria for consideration are pretty clear, so no, you will not be considered. Also, be aware that they give out VERY few scholarships to entering students. They do, however, give a lot out based on med school performance, so your best bet is to do well in med school.

Just found I was accepted today...soooo excited!!!! :banana:

Now I just have to wait for decisions from two other schools before I finally decide where I'm going to be next year.

I am in! I got the email while I was sitting on the flight to go to UMDNJ!

Where do DMU students live?

There isn't any on campus housing, right?

I'd appreciate it if some current DMU students could shed some light on this.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: I can't quote much myself, but I interviewed there on Friday and I know a few students who go there...

From what I remember, there is no on-campus housing. I don't think many campuses do. NSU and Touro-CA are the only ones that I know of off hand....

Two of the students lived in one of the "towers" just adjacent to the campus...the student I spoke to said that students and basically anyone without a life lived there...both were OMSIIs.

Another guy lived right across the street, top floor (2 or 3 floors?). Apparently he got a little nervous last year after hearing about all of the floods MILES away from the campus. OMSI.

My OMSI friend lives in a house off campus ~ 5 minutes away; drives to class. He is foreign and his folks found a family of the same nationality in the region. He pays some insanely low amount of rent for the place...like $150/month including heat and the family cooking for him! :thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Hmm, thanks for the reply.

I do know that CCOM has on campus housing. I'll be going to NSU next week so I'll be sure to find out about that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, thanks for the reply.

I do know that CCOM has on campus housing. I'll be going to NSU next week so I'll be sure to find out about that as well.

I heard from 2 students to STAY away from the NSU on-campus grad housing or something. They were very clear about that...

Where do DMU students live?

There isn't any on campus housing, right?

I'd appreciate it if some current DMU students could shed some light on this.

Thanks.

No on campus housing. Sometime in the summer (if I remember correctly) they will send you a packet that has listings of all the houses students have lived in and what they think of them. There are plenty of housing right near the campus. 3000 Grand is adjacent to the campus and a lot of students live there, across the street from DMU you got three or four places to stay. The only place I would urge anyone from DMU to stay away from is Four Seasons Apartments. I stayed there for two years (along with a few other students) and had a horrible HORRIBLE time. I think any of the places right near the campus are great; you can walk to campus so no gas to worry about and you also have the famous Ingersol Bar crawl right near your door step :).

No on campus housing. Sometime in the summer (if I remember correctly) they will send you a packet that has listings of all the houses students have lived in and what they think of them. There are plenty of housing right near the campus. 3000 Grand is adjacent to the campus and a lot of students live there, across the street from DMU you got three or four places to stay. The only place I would urge anyone from DMU to stay away from is Four Seasons Apartments. I stayed there for two years (along with a few other students) and had a horrible HORRIBLE time. I think any of the places right near the campus are great; you can walk to campus so no gas to worry about and you also have the famous Ingersol Bar crawl right near your door step :).

Sweet thanks!

So, after being at DMU this last week for my interview, all I can say is that I loved the place! I kinda wanted to hate it because I don't like the idea of living in Iowa, but I thought the school was amazing!

Now I just have to wait 2 weeks...

Anyone else interviewing this Friday, the 30th?!?

Has anyone interviewed on 1/15 heard back from DMU?

I interviewed on 1/16 and haven't heard anything yet.

:D Got the email today @ 3:00 pm. DMU Class of 2013, baby! :D

Hello to my future classmates :) I'm so psyched right now :)

Wooo hooo! Congrats! I remember how that felt. Savor it... :)

Our numbers are growing! congrats to everyone!

I know it's kind of early to ask this but when do we do the orientation? I just want to plan my trip back home accordingly. Thank you.

I know it's kind of early to ask this but when do we do the orientation? I just want to plan my trip back home accordingly. Thank you.

Congrats on being accepted!!! Class of 2013 is going to rock.

To answer your question: Orientation is August 4-6, with an "optional" day on the 7th. Classes will then start on Monday August 10th. Hope this helps!:thumbup:

Did you notice that 2nd year starts in July? Man, is that early. But, still excited.

Hey everyone,

I'm so excited because I'm interviewing on Feb 5! Is anyone else going to be there?

1 more question, if you don't mind. As far as I understand, DMU will give each of us a laptop and that is for us to keep, right? Okay, so when do they actually give us the laptop? I want to know that because I'm thinking to ask my husband upgrade it for me. But only me is moving, he'll stay back. If possible, I want to have my husband do it before I move. Thank you.
Congrats on being accepted!!! Class of 2013 is going to rock.

To answer your question: Orientation is August 4-6, with an "optional" day on the 7th. Classes will then start on Monday August 10th. Hope this helps!:thumbup:

Interviewed on Jan 8th, accepted on Jan 20th, I will be withdrawing my spot soon. All the best for those of you waiting for a spot!

the school is awesome, the faculty is great, and Dr. Mueller is the best! :D

1 more question, if you don't mind. As far as I understand, DMU will give each of us a laptop and that is for us to keep, right? Okay, so when do they actually give us the laptop? I want to know that because I'm thinking to ask my husband upgrade it for me. But only me is moving, he'll stay back. If possible, I want to have my husband do it before I move. Thank you.

I'm not sure, but I bet they give them out during orientation.
They probably won't mail them to you before because that would get really expensive.

Also, they don't give it to you- you pay the rent for it with your tuition (can't give it to you because of some legal mumbo jumbo), then they sell it to you at graduation for $1 or something like that.

You could always call the admissions office just to double check when you recieve the laptop.

And from what I understand, they have an extremely competent IT dept. which could probably upgrade it for you for cheap. But I don't know if they will let you upgrade it because technically its not yours. But I believe you can do whatever you want with the software on the thing (music, add programs, etc.)

I'm not sure, but I bet they give them out during orientation.
They probably won't mail them to you before because that would get really expensive.

Also, they don't give it to you- you pay the rent for it with your tuition (can't give it to you because of some legal mumbo jumbo), then they sell it to you at graduation for $1 or something like that.

You could always call the admissions office just to double check when you recieve the laptop.

And from what I understand, they have an extremely competent IT dept. which could probably upgrade it for you for cheap. But I don't know if they will let you upgrade it because technically its not yours. But I believe you can do whatever you want with the software on the thing (music, add programs, etc.)

Correct. :thumbup:

I heard from an OSMI and OSMII that they don't allow upgrades or ANY non-DMU supplied software. No games, no mp3 players, no other apps...just what is it on it. I believe that they also give you an external drive to store your documents on (eg, backup of files at home).

As a result, it's a new laptop, but it's not really...definitely don't think of it as "hey, I got a new laptop!". The 2012 class received a tablet (swiveling screen) model with touchpad. Fairly small unit (not a netbook, but about the size of a paper notebook). Very small power unit, unlike some of the Dell laptop PSUs that I've seen in the past!! :eek: Unfortunately, I don't recell the brand they usually use (I'm thinking either a Dell or an IBM...?) and my friend is not techy enough to find the specs out. Most OMSII's were jealous of the OMSI's small laptops...It appears they pay attention to what students like the most (eg, small size)

I got accepted in mid December and, in the acceptance email, they stated that I would be receiving an official acceptance package with more information early in 2009. Has anyone received this package yet? I have not and was wondering if I should contact them. Thanks!

I received a letter in the mail that had my DMU username and password for the DMU student portal and my new DMU email. The student portal has a ton of stuff on there, but some of it is "Coming Soon!" Like the financial aid info. You know, stuff that isn't that important :rolleyes: If you are dying to know, I would give admissions a call. They always answer my questions.

BTW S. Pierce, congrats on the acceptance!!!!!!

Can someone tell me where I can send in my transcripts, immunization records and what not? Is that still the admission office that handle these things? And when will everyone do apartment hunting? I'm thinking doing it in May or sooner. Any good apartments to recommend? Thank you.

I know there is no dress code at DMU except when you go to the hospitals etc. I like wearing workout clothes (nice ones) especially in Winter because they are comfortable and more protective than jeans. I am talking nice respectable thick Nike wear etc. Will this be permitted or do I need to come up with nicer casual wear?
Thanks!

has anyone sent a letter of interest with positive results (interview) ?

I interviewed 1/22 and haven't heard anything yet either. Kinda relieved that I'm not the only one. I'm thinking about calling if I don't get an e-mail by like 4:00 today. Not sure how much more compulsive refresh-button pushing I can handle!

I was there on the 23rd, and I'm tired of waiting too!

Hey,

Does anybody know the specs of the laptops we will be receiving?

Although I'm stoked to get a new computer, I'm wondering if I will need to purchase an additional one that's able to perform more powerful programs and tasks (photoshop, games, etc.)

thanks!

Jeremy

I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I have a low GPA 3.0-3.1 good MCAT of 30
Ky resident good EC's LORS all that good stuff, but the only thing that worries me is my GPA ( a lot of B's)
Do i have a chance? i will be applying in June for the Fall 2010 cycle...Thanks

I interviewed 1/22 and haven't heard anything yet either. Kinda relieved that I'm not the only one. I'm thinking about calling if I don't get an e-mail by like 4:00 today. Not sure how much more compulsive refresh-button pushing I can handle!

I interviewed on the 23rd and I think I have checked my email around 500 times today. If you end up calling you should post and let us know if there is some kind of delay.

Hey,

Does anybody know the specs of the laptops we will be receiving?

Although I'm stoked to get a new computer, I'm wondering if I will need to purchase an additional one that's able to perform more powerful programs and tasks (photoshop, games, etc.)

thanks!

Jeremy

This is in the c/o 2013 thread. Hope this helps!