DMU Class Profile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Dicky

Original P-I-M-P
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like to get to know all of you who will be at DMU next year, and not just your usernames. So, with that being said, I'll start things off:

My name is Rick Carregal, and I am 23 years old. I am married (2 and 1/2 years now) with an 8-month-old daughter. I am from St. Augustine, FL, and attended the University of Central Florida. I graduated in May 2002 with a degree in Molecular and Microbiology. I am a virgo who likes long walks on the beach and winter sunsets....(haha)

That should get things rolling, now it's your turn.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr.Dicky
I am a virgo who likes long walks on the beach and winter sunsets....(haha)

You're gonna love those walks on the beaches of Des Moines. If you break up your second request into two pieces (1. winter and 2. sunsets) you should at least be half satisfied......

:laugh: what an idea! I guess I'll join in the fun...

My name is Jane, I'm 22, a Scorpio to the core ;) , born and raised in San Francisco. I went to UC Berkeley, and graduated in May 2002 with an Integrative Biology degree. I've been pre-med for as long as I can remember, but didn't know about DO's until the latter half of junior year in college. I truly believe that how I stumbled upon osteopathic medicine was fate(or something like it), but that's another story for another time.
While I'm counting down the days to move to Iowa, I'm catching up on all the TV I've missed in college (Alias is my personal favorite :D ) and reading Stephen King.

Btw, Iserson's Getting Into A Residency is a great book!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jane,

Nice to meet you...So, tell me, what is Integrative Bio and how does it differ from regular Bio? I stumbled onto Osteopathy during my senior year of college(while I was in the middle of the application process for last year's class)....Needless to say, I was glad I didn't get in b/c it allowed to find out more about osteopathic medicine.

Hopefully we'll start getting some more DMUers posting...apparently there's only like 4 or 5 of us...

Rick

Hey Rick!
Yeah, we have wondered about the small population of DMUers in the 2007 thread. Our other classmates out there have no idea what they're missing out on! :laugh:
At Berkeley, you can choose from two general bio majors: Integrative or Molecular and Cell Bio. Most premeds choose MCB. I decided to do IB after taking the second half of general bio, which is sponsored by the IB department. I liked its macro perspective of biology, and it was mainly the course offerings that I was sold on, things like paleontology, evolutionary genetics, ecology, etc. MCB has the kind of classes that make your transcipt look nice (e.g. biochem, endocrinology), and IB having ones that I was really interested in, but didn't intend to make a career out of.
I guess Iowa's going to be a big change for both of us! I can't really imagine living in a landlocked state, but I might end up loving it. Who needs those cold SF beaches anyway? :p
So what do you want to do with your DO degree? Where do you want to be after med school?

~J

Hey there!

Ok well I'm 21 years old and live in Michigan. I am finishing up my last year of undergraduate school and will get my degree in Biology. Lets see...I absolutely love skiing!! Hmm...i also like to read, golf, run, go to movies, and Im afraid of clowns :D

my turn,

my name is chad, and I've been an Iowan my whole life. I'm a libra, is that good? (I really don't know anything about the astrological signs) I'll be getting married in june, so I think it's going to be interesting trying to balance marriage and med school. Anyways, I'll be graduating from the U of Iowa in May with a BS in exercise science. I only applied to DO schools, just because this was really the degree that I wanted. I can't wait to meet all of you guys & gals next fall. Good luck to all of you with school or work before we start up next Aug.

hyper :)

Jane-

To answer your question, I don't really know for sure what area I want to specialize in. But I have entertained the thoughts of doing Derm, or maybe Ortho, or maybe even Internal Med....but I'm gonna wait until I see what I like and what I'm good at, then make my decision. After med school, I'll probably want to be somewhere warm and by the water, but that might change too. How about you?

Rick

Hi Rick!
I'm not sure what I'd like to go into either, but I've been trying to do some research on various fields in my spare time. I've always been a big fan of surgery, especially ortho because it just looked so fun, and cardiology. But, yeah, I definitely have to see what I'm actually capable of doing before I make any promises.
As for where I want to live afterwards, it's most likely going to be the west coast or midwest.

SuzyQ - I'm also terrified of clowns!! I had a nightmare about them when I was a kid, and ever since, they just totally creep me out. :eek:

Just out of curiosity, any single guys going to DMU?? Not that it's important...;)

Just out of curiosity, any single guys going to DMU?? Not that it's important...;) [/B]

Hehe...I was kind of wondering the same thing :p

Right now Im thinking I want to do peds, but then again I think emergency medicine would be really interesting...agh! I guess we still have plenty of time to figure out what interests us the most.

Hey Chad,
What's the deal with the Iowa State Fair? What really goes on there? I remember somebody talking about it during lunch at my interview, but there weren't a lot of details. When does it happen?

Thanks!
~J

Members don't see this ad :)
So when is everybody moving to Des Moines? I've decided to move there in the middle of July...so I will have some time to acclimate to the city, and not feel so rushed.

Rick

Is everyone excited about OMM...coppa:clap:

Hi Rick! I'm going to scope out apartments either the end of May or early June. Hopefully, I'll secure a place then and move sometime in June. I need a little more time in Des Moines before school starts because I've decided to buy a car there instead of having one shipped. The two people I know who have had their cars shipped were both pretty unhappy and had minor damages to their vehicles afterwards. Besides, used cars seem cheaper there than here, from what I'm seeing on the internet. Judging by the weather in Des Moines right now, I guess it's a safe bet to shell out the extra $$ for a parking space in a heated lot, huh? I have no experience whatsoever with driving in the snow/ice, and wouldn't know what to do with a frozen engine or whatever it is that happens when your car is parked in freezing temps. I hope I won't be too much of a hazard... :D

Is your family moving with you to Iowa?

~J

The state fair isn't too bad. It's been probably 5 years since I've been there. I think it's the beginning of August (10-18??). I've been told to go on the first weekend of it, because a lot of the shops are picked over and livestock are gone by the second weekend. They usually have some decent performers, I remember my parents took me to see the Beach Boys there when I was a little kid. I'm not too big on country music, but a lot of the big names always go there. They have plenty of animals, it probably doesn't sound too exciting to walk through a hog barn, but it actually can be pretty fun. But the best part about it is the food. Mini-donuts and the pork tenderloins were always may favorites. Hope this gets you excited for the fair, I'm sure I'll be going this year.

And about moving, I'm hoping to move in late June, early July. I'm actually headed to Des Moines this coming Tuesday with my fiancee to check out houses.

Well, my fellow DMUers, have a great rest of the weekend,
hyper :)

Hey Jane-

I take it that you're flying out to Des Moines when you move, and not driving. I've been living in Missouri for the past couple of months and let me tell you driving in the snow is a completely different monster. I'd suggest getting a car with good (preferably new) tires and if not 4WD, then front wheel drive. First couple of times in the snow, I got stuck and stranded (NOT fun!). But I'm getting better at it. It just takes practice and first hand experience to get used to it. Luckily, Des Moines is pretty flat, so we won't have to worry about making it up or down really steep hills.
And yes, my wife and baby girl are moving with me...I don't think I could stand being away from either of them for more than a few days. Hopefully we can make a trip up there within the next couple of weeks to start looking at apartments/houses for rent. Trying to find something relatively close to the school, yet in our budgets (and it would help if the place is nice too!).:idea:

Rick

Hey guys, I'm back in the good old USA. I'm tireder (does that word even exist?) then hell. I'm 24 years old from Sacramento, Ca. I'll graduate in may with a BS in Bio. Love to watch old movies and I'm going to go to iowa to look for apts around may or so. I cant wait to meet you guys.

Prad

Hey Rick, thanks for the advice! Yup, I will be flying to Des Moines. I would have never guessed that FWD would be better than RWD for snow. Everybody touts RWD all the time, too, but I can see how that's useful in performance cars and not for trying to stay on the right side of the road in snow. I was thinking of something along the lines of a Camry or other midsized sedan. I don't think I'll be driving much, just to get groceries and to move if I need to during rotations. I am definitely going to try to get an apartment as close to the school as possible so I can walk to class. I'm not sure whether I should get a studio, or a 1 bdrm that's twice the size of the studio for less than $100 more. I prefer studying in libraries or cafes, but that might change once I see how cold Iowa can get! It's great that your family's moving with you, especially since your daughter is at that age where they just grow up so fast. I knew a few people who had to move away from their spouses and children for school, and it's difficult.

Docgeorge, do you go to Sac State? I've been to Sacramento a few times, and it's a nice area. Great weather, too! Can't beat that mall...:D

~J

Arden Fair Mall is'nt too bad. I'm just sick and tired of Sac. I want out. I cant wait untill July. I'm really looking foreward to meeting you all soon.

hey everyone,

i was just wondering when your orientation was going to occur. we just found out that 2nd year is going to start on july 28th. hopefully we won't be too swamped by the time you guys arrive because i would love to meet my future colleagues!

kimberlee :)

Hi Kimberlee,
I think orientation is from Aug. 5-7, and classes begin Aug. 11. I hope you'll be able to find time to hang out with us!

~J

Luckystar...if you find a great deal on a car at home...i'd go with that. I've been here in Iowa for a few years now and typically with used cars...rust is a problem. A lot of people here buy their used cars from the south or southwest...you know, a car without any type of rust is a diamond in the rough here. But then again, what do I know...I moved out here from Arizona. Good Luck!

Docpetey,

Thanks for the advice! It's so helpful to hear from those who know. It'll be my first time buying a used car, so I'm still figuring things out as I go. Another advantage of buying from CA is the selection. I'm having a hard time finding what I want from Iowa dealers. I guess I'd better start looking for a reputable auto shipper.

~J

If you guys know any good shippers I need one too. I'm bringing my Toyota Avalon to Iowa. Is there any way to rust proof your car? Any body know what the avg price for a 1 bedroom close to school is?

Hey Prad,

As far as I know, there is no real way to rust proof your car. My best advice is to clean your car regularly and also spray off your undercarriage, b/c that's what gets hit the hardest with the all the salt from the roads.

Rick

I've seen 1 bdrms for $500-700 along Grand Ave. I'm considering the Imperial or the Grand Prix, which are both pretty close to campus, and they have one bedrooms for about $550. The Imperial has heated parking, for $60. I think I'll probably go for a studio, since that should limit me frombringing too much stuff, which I have a tendency to do.

What do you think is the better way to go for moving? I got a quote from this moving company that's the kind where they drop off a trailer at your current residence, and you load all your stuff into it. Then, the trailer gets driven to your new address, where you then unload it yourself. My quote was $1550 from SF to Des Moines. Is that reasonable? I'm sure having movers do the actual moving for me would then be more expensive. My friend who will be going to Penn has a good idea of just shipping everything by UPS, which will be considerably cheaper.

Hey Rick, Thanks for the info. I cant believe that in 4.5 months that I'll move to Iowa. Lucky, have you been to Des Moines to look at appts yet or are you just checking on line? I really like 3000 Grand, the high rise right behind school. The only thing is that the're kinda pricy.

Prad,

Yes, I've just been looking online. I'm going to Des Moines at the end of May, so I'll probably call some of these places a few weeks before I go to set up appointments. I like 3000 Grand too, but I can think of better ways to spend my money! It sure is a nice place though. The studios run for $600, but they're larger than the ones at other places.
If the library's any good, I won't be spending that much time in my apartment.

Jane

hey jane,

all i can say is don't steal my table on the first floor! :)

kimberlee

Kimberlee!! Long time no see....how's the studying? Are you in physiology now?

Haha, I'll try to find my own hole ;) How late is the library open anyway?

~J

hey guys,

studying's been difficult. we had a couple of tests in the past three weeks. phys has started and it's on the backburner right now since i have no clue to what's going on in path right now. anywho, to answer your question, the library is open til midnight. oh, i suggest getting a pair of really good shoes so that you don't majorly turf it on ice!

kimberlee :)