Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately learned today that my school will only work with me on either d.o applications or podiatry but not both. They will send a committee letter to only one type of school so this puts me in a difficult position. I can apply to both but I just won't have the committee letter for one of them and my pre med advisor said that the committee letter holds a lot of credibility. He also mentioned that its a risk to apply to both in the same cycle because admissions officers do talk to one another. So I don't know what I should do. I like podiatry because the average mcat scores for the schools are probably in the same range that mine will be in and I don't mind working with feet. I like osteopathic school because of their emphasis on the skeletal muscle system and the diversity it offers. So I don't know what, I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe u can send the committee letter to one program and get two personal letters from professors and send those to the other program

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

You can easily apply to both programs. I would use the committee letter for the DO programs simply because they are generally a bit more competitive to get into. Podiatry schools are more likely to overlook a low MCAT than DO programs, especially the competitive ones with high 20 averages. I think the added benefit of the committee letter will do you more good for the DO programs than for podiatry. Make sure you have a good letter from a DPM and a science professor and you should have no problem getting interviews for pod school if you're also a competitive DO applicant.

I also don't think applying to both programs will hurt you in anyway or that admissions committees would even know you did it. The only exception to this would be to not apply to a DO and DPM program at the same school, such as Des Moines or Midwestern (I'm not sure if they would even allow you to do this regardless).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can easily apply to both programs. I would use the committee letter for the DO programs simply because they are generally a bit more competitive to get into. Podiatry schools are more likely to overlook a low MCAT than DO programs, especially the competitive ones with high 20 averages. I think the added benefit of the committee letter will do you more good for the DO programs than for podiatry. Make sure you have a good letter from a DPM and a science professor and you should have no problem getting interviews for pod school if you're also a competitive DO applicant.

I also don't think applying to both programs will hurt you in anyway or that admissions committees would even know you did it. The only exception to this would be to not apply to a DO and DPM program at the same school, such as Des Moines or Midwestern (I'm not sure if they would even allow you to do this regardless).

Not always true. In the Pod application, they ask you if you applied to any other health programs such as MD, DO, Dental, PT, etc etc. You can of course lie, but if they find out and I am sure it isn't hard for the schools to find out since all they have to do is look at the centralized application services, you will be screwed.

My advice is to NOT lie. It isn't worth it. In the end of the application, you have to sign saying that you didn't lie. They can take back their acceptance if they ever find out you lied. Pod schools do have waitlists so don't think they won't do it. A warm seat is a warm seat to them.

I do not think you should/or have to be in a position to lie about it. Two of the people in my interview group were very open that they had applied to both podiatry and osteopathic schools. One of the 4th years in Temple said that he had also applied to both and chose podiatry over osteopathy.

Not always true. In the Pod application, they ask you if you applied to any other health programs such as MD, DO, Dental, PT, etc etc. You can of course lie, but if they find out and I am sure it isn't hard for the schools to find out since all they have to do is look at the centralized application services, you will be screwed.

My advice is to NOT lie. It isn't worth it. In the end of the application, you have to sign saying that you didn't lie. They can take back their acceptance if they ever find out you lied. Pod schools do have waitlists so don't think they won't do it. A warm seat is a warm seat to them.

Wasn't aware you had to mark it in the Pod application. I agree that you should absolutely not lie about anything in your app. Regardless apply to both programs if you wish to do so.

Do any of the pod schools require a committee letter? Also does anyone have experience here with applying to both? I'm worried now that I have to put it on my app

Do any of the pod schools require a committee letter? Also does anyone have experience here with applying to both? I'm worried now that I have to put it on my app

I am sure most Pod school says either committee or a combo of regular letters. Some are very lax ( i pod letter and 1 science prof. letter) but there are ones like Temple where you need 1 pod letter, 1 non-pod health prof. letter, and 2 science prof. letter.

Applying to both should be ok. I have met ppl during my interview who took the DAT and it is obvious to the admissions committee that he/she applied to dental school since why else would you take the DAT over MCAT. But they still made it to the interview stage so must not hurt the application that much.

I am sure most Pod school says either committee or a combo of regular letters. Some are very lax ( i pod letter and 1 science prof. letter) but there are ones like Temple where you need 1 pod letter, 1 non-pod health prof. letter, and 2 science prof. letter.

Applying to both should be ok. I have met ppl during my interview who took the DAT and it is obvious to the admissions committee that he/she applied to dental school since why else would you take the DAT over MCAT. But they still made it to the interview stage so must not hurt the application that much.

What's a non pod health professor? Do you mean a non science professor like English

What's a non pod health professor? Do you mean a non science professor like English

here is what the Temple website says:

Official Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores forwarded to AACPMAS; or Dental Admissions Testing (DAT) scores forwarded to TUSPM. We recommend that you take the exam by the fall before matriculation, unless you have not completed the prerequisites, in which case your application will be considered pending the spring scores*.

Official transcripts from all colleges attended. If you are currently attending school, you may wait to send a transcript until that course work is completed.

Composite letter of recommendation from a Pre-Health Advisory Committee or two letters from science faculty.

Two letters of recommendation from health professionals, including one from a podiatric physician.

So I think even if you submit a committee letter, you still need the two letters from health professionals. When I said non-pod health, I mean someone that is a MD/DO, Pharmacists, Dentist, and I guess nursing and PT might work too.

I always find the Temple one very odd, I guess they want to see that you looked at other fields besides Pod.

Here is the link http://podiatry.temple.edu/pages/admissions/applicmaterials.html

Since i applied to Caribbean MD i checked that box and it was never brought up in interview. Lets be honest there are more md or DO refugees going for DPM than what this forum would make it seem slapping to both should not be a problem

I would agree though i would not try both at the schools that have both dpm and MD/DO.

I applied my junior year to M.D. programs because that is all I knew. I did not get in so I researched a little more and learned about D.O. programs, which I applied for my senior year. I then learned about PA programs and decided to take the next year off to gain experience and during that experience I learned about podiatry. I applied to PA schools at the beginning of the year and applied to podiatry in February (after my pa applications were taken out of the running) this included DMU where I had applied to the pa program and then later in the year, to the podiatry program.

I admitted all of this on my application (applied to MD, DO, and PA) and was asked at one of my interviews about why I applied to the other programs and they wanted to make sure that I was no longer considering those professions. I guaranteed that podiatry was all I was looking into and no more questions were asked. I ended up getting in and will be starting in August.

Moral of the story, it is not worth it to lie, be completely honest and they will understand. Just make sure you answer their questions and show them your interest (if you are TRULY interested)

Why are PA programs generally harder to get into than podiatry for ? I find it interesting

Why are PA programs generally harder to get into than podiatry for ? I find it interesting

Secure job, great demand, get to play doctor with a lot less responsibility comfortable 80-100k+ a year earnings.

It was not all too long ago where being a PA was just some classes at a community college

2 years and you are done. PA is very attractive to the candidate who wants to change their career quickly.

Think about it.

If I wanted to be a nurse from a non nursing background, I would have to work up the ranks: LPN->RN/BSN->APRN (4-6 years) OR I could simply be a 2 year PA and get equal status to an APRN (in many respects). The salary of a PA comes in at what a podiatrist would make just graduating (slightly less?) at 1/2 the cost. The only catch is you have zero opportunity to grow and advance (both in salary and responsibility). However, there are a lot of people who would prefer a "safer job" and very little liability.

Secure job, great demand, get to play doctor with a lot less responsibility comfortable 80-100k+ a year earnings.

It was not all too long ago where being a PA was just some classes at a community college

You can't get all of this with podiatry ?

The only exception to this would be to not apply to a DO and DPM program at the same school, such as Des Moines or Midwestern (I'm not sure if they would even allow you to do this regardless).

Not sure about Midwestern or the other schools but DMU explicitly forbids this. If you apply to their DPM and DO program at the same time they won't even look at either application and will throw both of them out.

arrow-to-knee-meme-generator-used-to-be-a-pre-med-like-you-till-i-took-a-podiatry-to-the-knee-5dc6ca.jpg