My Dilemma!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've walked out of several interviews when they say 15$/hr. I told the lady I make more as a waiter. So, for the summer I'm making 20$/hr working for a party rental guy and a restaurant. If I could do it again I would join the electrician union.

This. I wish I would have gotten an accounting or finance degree and just taken the pre-reqs.

Accounting, engineering, and nursing are the only worthwhile degrees I can think of. Maybe something in IT if it's hardcore enough.

Not to mention those fields are just excellent knowledge to have.. i really regret not getting an accounting or IT degree. Those would help with the stuff they dont teach you in pod school

The only jobs I've managed to find fit 3 categories:

1) Tutoring/college prep
2) Lab tech/research
3) Contract labor/ food service

Was offered $15/hr with room to go $20/hr from a tutoring firm.
$13.50/hr for misc. field research positions.
$10/hr for contract labor/ waiting tables.

They all came with caveats. Tutoring wanted me but their shortest contracts were 16 months. I was looking for a summer job.
Lab tech/research was right down my alley but pay was lower, certain job offers required specialized knowledge of certain machines, and field work required driving 5 hours out to the middle of no where.
Contract labor/food service: Sat down with the general manager of a restaurant opening a new chain in my area. Can you imagine telling someone "Yes I graduated with a BS and Masters, accepted to professional health school, and I need a summer job flipping burgers, waiting tables, and manning the cash register at your new restaurant".

No job is beneath me. At the same time, over-qualification automatically dismisses you from a lot of places.
Too qualified to work entry level positions, too young/inexperienced to get your foot in the door for the bigger jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

I've walked out of several interviews when they say 15$/hr. I told the lady I make more as a waiter. So, for the summer I'm making 20$/hr working for a party rental guy and a restaurant. If I could do it again I would join the electrician union.

This is one of those instances where you can apply the whole, "it's not only about the money". What kind of work are you doing at a restaurant for $20/hr? I would take less than that for a more professional job in an office wearing a suit and tie. I'll be happier.

I'm not regretting not finishing my Bio degree. I switched to Gen Studies my last year and just walked away. If I could do college over, comp Sci + English, or English + Environmental Sci double major.

I let the pressure get to me! That's my biggest regret in college. I didn't do what I wanted to do.

Accounting, engineering, and nursing are the only worthwhile degrees I can think of. Maybe something in IT if it's hardcore enough.

Other "worthwhile degrees":
- med tech
- teaching (especially high school science)
- associates degrees in medical health profession (dental hygiene, rad tech, etc)
- administration (just know where to look)

The only jobs I've managed to find fit 3 categories:

1) Tutoring/college prep
2) Lab tech/research
3) Contract labor/ food service

Was offered $15/hr with room to go $20/hr from a tutoring firm.
$13.50/hr for misc. field research positions.
$10/hr for contract labor/ waiting tables.

They all came with caveats. Tutoring wanted me but their shortest contracts were 16 months. I was looking for a summer job.
Lab tech/research was right down my alley but pay was lower, certain job offers required specialized knowledge of certain machines, and field work required driving 5 hours out to the middle of no where.
Contract labor/food service: Sat down with the general manager of a restaurant opening a new chain in my area. Can you imagine telling someone "Yes I graduated with a BS and Masters, accepted to professional health school, and I need a summer job flipping burgers, waiting tables, and manning the cash register at your new restaurant".

No job is beneath me. At the same time, over-qualification automatically dismisses you from a lot of places.
Too qualified to work entry level positions, too young/inexperienced to get your foot in the door for the bigger jobs.

Your case is different. You just want some change in your pocket before taking off to professional school to work towards your real career. You ma boy, but I wouldn't offer you an 80k/yr job right now because you'll leave at the end of the summer. I would suck it up and just work 2-3 jobs then take off for school. Uber, manual labor, plus private music lessons.

But for the non-traditional applicant that plans to work for 1-3 years while getting their app ready, they'll need something more "serious". But you have to earn your way to serious jobs. Anywhere from 11 - 16 is entry-level and getting your foot in the door with a college degree doing front desk, paperwork, office temp kind of stuff. Once you're in the company you can expect 18 - 23 depending on company.

Our degrees doesn't hold weight at the negotiation table if it's not backed up with experience.

But try your luck with temp agencies too!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at Ruby Tuesdays making 20$-25$ an hour inc. tips(120$ for a 5hr night I averaged). Now I work at another family restaurant and drive a box truck. Trick is to recommend desert, people trust the fat waiter that it is good. I would not work for 15$/hr in NY, without commissions or tips. That is just me though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If I could go back, I would probably major in Psychology or Social Work. Any field where you can get a license will end up in employment, at least a 50-60K after the BS degree. Otherwise, Computer Science, one of those fields where making 6-figs is possible early on.

15-18/hr is pretty standard for entry level jobs with a bachelors in bio/biochem/chem here in Texas. No state income tax though.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked at Ruby Tuesdays making 20$-25$ an hour inc. tips(120$ for a 5hr night I averaged). Now I work at another family restaurant and drive a box truck. Trick is to recommend desert, people trust the fat waiter that it is good. I would not work for 15$/hr in NY, without commissions or tips. That is just me though.

I've waited before and I've also done fast food. Now I'm in the professional world and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

It's not just the money because I would take a pay cut to sit behind a desk with a computer and wear a suit versus make more doing something like waiting tables. I've always wanted to be a suit & tie professional white-collar man.

Some fun times were had at the restaurant jobs though; it's just not for me

Social workers make 60k?

If I could go back, I would probably major in Psychology or Social Work. Any field where you can get a license will end up in employment, at least a 50-60K after the BS degree. Otherwise, Computer Science, one of those fields where making 6-figs is possible early on.

60k is like the 70th percentile for them.thats after ten plus years of working the the field I'd wager.

The median is 45k. Which after taxes is like 30k.

Yeah, like everything, its location, and type of job placement. People working in mental institutions, alcohol and drugs rehab, and private out-patient clinics are making close to 60k in NY. Another good field is getting a master's in language and speech therapy, good money there too.

Point being, making that much money with a regular Bio degree is hard to find.