dating in medical school seems hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't see where it's inherently determined that Ark has asperger's. Like yes I know he's been diagnosed by a board certified physician, but what is the actual cause of that diagnosis? Patient behavior? If I recall correctly, there isn't a physiologically identifiable illness. Who is to say that he just doesn't see things differently and that is completely fine?

I think that you will find that your views are not shared with the majority of physicians, but they are nonetheless very important views. I struggled with other forum members for years on this issue - how do we define mental illness, pathologize it, and medicalize it, and what is our *scientific* and *pathologic* basis for doing so? The foundation for it is incredibly shaky. I would advise you read the books by psychiatrist Thomas Szasz. In brief, my views have changed over the years to the point of which I think some psychiatric disease probably does have a neurologic basis we have not found yet (and autism may be one of those), some are socially inappropriate or counterproductive attitudes/behaviors/viewpoints/perspectives that have very doubtful organic basis (I would put most depressive disorders here, as well as "personality disorders"), and some have a likely spiritual basis (schizophrenia comes to mind). And no, I will not debate this here, it's been done in the past and I have nothing to prove to anyone here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked Kaus if he would do a long distance relationship before starting his second year of med school, again.
We both agreed it's not something we would ever have been out looking for

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked Kaus if he would do a long distance relationship before starting his second year of med school, again.
We both agreed it's not something we would ever have been out looking for
How does he feel about you telling people on SDN this stuff? Just curious, I like hearing gossip.

I usually ask him before I share info on here :)

But in general he's pretty laid back about me talking about us to the sdn crew
How is he in post game? Is he a cuddler? I'm not much of a cuddler.

He has to be awake at 4, I'm not gonna turn the lights on/turn my flash on to take a pix! I have *some* common sense. Sometimes :p
C'mon. Be a sleep sniper. All the cool kids are doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys cuddling is awesome

I wasn't talking about the relationship itself, I was talking about people who have an inability to form relationships with others. Raises hand. :ninja:The inability to form proper emotional relationships and connections can be fairly detrimental to a person's long-term emotional health, particularly if having a family is something they believe to be very important to them.

I'm in a long-term committed relationship right now, but I was fine with being single, personally, which is something I've gone over ad nauseum on the forums. Being single is awesome. But that doesn't mean it's awesome for everyone, particularly those people that are lacking the social skills and ability to navigate emotional territory that many of the rest of us take for granted.

absolutely. if you don't, it's going to be manipulated to where anyone that does something that an overseeing body thinks is abnormal, that person has a mental disease. this is essentially how psychiatry is trending now and will continue to do so when there are essentially 0 barriers to entry in terms of saying someone has a disease. it's also an even bigger joke when you consider the paradox of mental disease in that denial of mental disease is considered one of the signs. funny how that works.
Please tell me you're not serious. Are you seriously saying if there is no lighted up lesion on MRI of a brain scan that things like depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc. don't exist and that people just manipulate them? I swear I can't wait till you get to age 26, bc your 21 year old self is annoying me.

Psychiatry is not a "joke".

All shoulder-chips aside: Do you believe racism doesn't exist in medicine?
Yes. It's nothing inherent to medicine, but of course. Medicine is done by people in treating people. To say there will be no racism at all is impossible. It's no different than other professions.

Yes. It's nothing inherent to medicine, but of course. Medicine is done by people in treating people. To say there will be no racism at all is impossible. It's no different than other professions.

IMO, it's very different from other professions because people have the capacity to alter, shape, or end careers based upon skin color.

I'm surprised that someone sensitive about racial issues would enter medicine.

Before anyone gets it twisted: I'm not saying racism is endemic to medicine, simply something minorities will always have to deal with on some level.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO, it's very different from other professions because people have the capacity to alter, shape, or end careers based upon skin color.

I'm surprised that someone sensitive about racial issues would enter medicine.

Before anyone gets it twisted: I'm not saying racism is endemic to medicine, simply something minorities will always have to deal with on some level.
How is that different from nursing or dentistry?

How is that different from nursing or dentistry?

NCLEX is '75 and out' and nurses have a union.

A resident or doctor who doesn't fit in is simply going to struggle. They just have a lot more invested/at-risk financially and professionally compared to nurses.

I'm working under the assumption that you understand "majority" and "minority" depends upon area and hospital culture, not something simple like black and white.

Dentists? No clue. I've only ever met one black dentist.

A resident or doctor who doesn't fit in is simply going to struggle. They just have a lot more invested/at-risk financially and professionally compared to nurses.

I'm working under the assumption that you understand "majority" and "minority" depends upon area and hospital culture, not something simple like black and white.

Dentists? No clue. I've only ever met one black dentist.

upstate NY eh?

where you at ><

WS I want your opinion on this. 1/4 of middle age women take anti-depressants. at what % of middle aged women do we say that their feelings are normal, since they are experienced by a significant amount of people. 50? 75? When do you re-write physiology due to incidence rates of a "disease?"

How could I have missed this?!

You should also ask about PMDD!!!

Ah okay. Thought maybe you were at my hosp or something, people like to refer to where I work as upstate sometimes ><

Makes sense. We refer to the area as Upstate but there's also SUNY Upstate in Syracuse. Sadly, people from The City have added to the confusion and refer to anyplace three seconds past the Tappan Zee Bridge as "Upstate".

Makes sense. We refer to the area as Upstate but there's also SUNY Upstate in Syracuse. Sadly, people from The City have added to the confusion and refer to anyplace three seconds past the Tappan Zee Bridge as "Upstate".

As a city person, three seconds past the Tappan Zee IS upstate.

Are you in 'Cuse?

We really only go there for the Dinosaur or Airport. I hate driving and my girlfriend dislikes indulging my laziness.

There IS?!?!?!?!

I quite like the snobby suburb I work in :D

I should be back down relatively soon. Not a fan of the traffic, subways, crowds, buses, and cost of living but some of the people are very nice to me.

It's grown on me..... like a fungus, LOL! I could even live there.

I should be back down relatively soon. Not a fan of the traffic, subways, crowds, buses, and cost of living but some of the people are very nice to me.

It's grown on me..... like a fungus, LOL! I could even live there.

HAY
no trashing my NY.
Brooklyn is not representative of NYC or my suburb

><

HAY
no trashing my NY.
Brooklyn is not representative of NYC or my suburb

><

I didn't know it was biologically possible for rats to grow to the size of cats, until I visited New York, its scary.

I didn't know it was biologically possible for rats to grow to the size of cats, until I visited New York, its scary.

I didn't know the subway system doubled as a urinal until moving there.

Reactions: 1 users
WS I want your opinion on this. 1/4 of middle age women take anti-depressants. at what % of middle aged women do we say that their feelings are normal, since they are experienced by a significant amount of people. 50? 75? When do you re-write physiology due to incidence rates of a "disease?"
There are at least 2 issues at hand here:

1) are we pathologizing normal experiences
2) is there anything wrong with "better living through chemicals?"

I am not unbiased on this topic, both personally and professionally, so what follows is only my thoughts and experiences.

You are correct that many middle aged women are on anti-depressants, as well as thyroid supplementation and occasionally, some form of HRT. Its the "post menopausal cocktail." What you have assumed is that the "1/4 of middle aged women (who) take anti-depressants" are taking them for mood elevation. That may not be correct as many of the current SSRIs are also quite effective in controlling menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings. Therefore, I cannot assume that these women are being over treated for depression when they may be using the medications for intolerable menopausal symptoms or for pain with a psychogenic component (ie, fibro).

Are we pathologizing normal experiences? Perhaps. I have personally questioned my own life and "is this all there is", "are other people happier than me"? Is the modern upper middle class (usually white) person unable to accept the changes related to age, life stress and other elements? Does it need to be treated? Is there anything wrong with treating it?

I would venture that treating such complaints is perfectly reasonable and in some cases, desirable. My life has been made better by an anti-depressant from time to time as has that of many of my (prone to depression) family members. We have a significant family history of depression and sadly, a few suicides. I tend to joke and call it the "Hemingway curse" but there's no question in my mind that many people have been helped by cognitive and chemical therapies.

If we can reduce morbidity and mortality from diabetes with medication and surgery, then why would we do anything different with depression? Certainly there are likely some who are prescribed anti-depressants who could treat their symptoms otherwise but I truly believe that there is appropriate use of such pharmaceuticals in a large number of patients, even if I can't tell you what that number is.

Reactions: 8 users
There are at least 2 issues at hand here:

1) are we pathologizing normal experiences
2) is there anything wrong with "better living through chemicals?"

I am not unbiased on this topic, both personally and professionally, so what follows is only my thoughts and experiences.

You are correct that many middle aged women are on anti-depressants, as well as thyroid supplementation and occasionally, some form of HRT. Its the "post menopausal cocktail." What you have assumed is that the "1/4 of middle aged women (who) take anti-depressants" are taking them for mood elevation. That may not be correct as many of the current SSRIs are also quite effective in controlling menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings. Therefore, I cannot assume that these women are being over treated for depression when they may be using the medications for intolerable menopausal symptoms or for pain with a psychogenic component (ie, fibro).

Are we pathologizing normal experiences? Perhaps. I have personally questioned my own life and "is this all there is", "are other people happier than me"? Is the modern upper middle class (usually white) person unable to accept the changes related to age, life stress and other elements? Does it need to be treated? Is there anything wrong with treating it?

I would venture that treating such complaints is perfectly reasonable and in some cases, desirable. My life has been made better by an anti-depressant from time to time as has that of many of my (prone to depression) family members. We have a significant family history of depression and sadly, a few suicides. I tend to joke and call it the "Hemingway curse" but there's no question in my mind that many people have been helped by cognitive and chemical therapies.

If we can reduce morbidity and mortality from diabetes with medication and surgery, then why would we do anything different with depression? Certainly there are likely some who are prescribed anti-depressants who could treat their symptoms otherwise but I truly believe that there is appropriate use of such pharmaceuticals in a large number of patients, even if I can't tell you what that number is.

Where do you draw the line though? Why not allow everyone access to stimulants or anabolic compounds?

Where do you draw the line though? Why not allow everyone access to stimulants or anabolic compounds?
Now you're just being ridiculous.

I don't see cases of middle aged women on Effexor stealing to support their Adderal or anabolic habit. Allowing everyone access to drugs with abuse potential is ridiculous.

There just isn't an answer to your question. Yes, there has to be a limit on access to many medications especially those with abuse potential. I personally have a problem with medical students taking stimulants to help them to study or the fact that it seems like every freakin' kid these days has "ADHD". But that doesn't mean NO ONE gets treated (which is what it appears you seem to advocate).

I am off to my Global Entry Interview so I can move easily throughout my international travels, so you guys can continue the conversation without me for the time being.

Reactions: 2 users
Now you're just being ridiculous.

I don't see cases of middle aged women on Effexor stealing to support their Adderal or anabolic habit. Allowing everyone access to drugs with abuse potential is ridiculous.

There just isn't an answer to your question. Yes, there has to be a limit on access to many medications especially those with abuse potential. I personally have a problem with medical students taking stimulants to help them to study or the fact that it seems like every freakin' kid these days has "ADHD". But that doesn't mean NO ONE gets treated (which is what it appears you seem to advocate).

I am off to my Global Entry Interview so I can move easily throughout my international travels, so you guys can continue the conversation without me for the time being.

take me with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Dude, only 18% of nurses are members of unions. Most places, if you're a nurse and you're not liked, you are screwed. Being a male nurse can be a blessing or curse depending on where you're at. Being a black male nurse? I don't even know how that must be. It's violating so many social norms that I could see it making life difficult both inside and outside of work. Yeah, physicians have more invested, but having your career wrecked because your coworkers make life difficult and having to go back and retrain for another career sucks no matter what.

That's a fetish, not a general term for women, last I checked :rofl: Well I guess we know what's in his secret folders
He said he's not into femdom. Never heard that term used before. I thought it was like kingdom, but femdom.

He said he's not into femdom. Never heard that term used before. I thought it was like kingdom, but femdom.
That's a fetish.
I'm dying over here

Reactions: 3 users