dating in medical school seems hard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you tracking me, I though I set my privacy settings to make myself untraceable. Honestly, I'm not really a sexist jerk, sometimes its just fun pick on people like FML.

Dude, no one has to view your profile or track your posts, they just need to read some threads around here to wonder how much of what you post is actually representative of your viewpoints. Between your comments in the other dating thread about the dating atmosphere in med school and the recent one about showing weakness in med school, I have plenty to believe you are probably exaggerating a tad.

At least that's what I'm choosing to believe because I think you're more the type that enjoys stirring things up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
dont date in med school, its too risky.
unless you're frisky.
and intoxicated on whiskey.
omg no way did she?
dude you've got my sympathy

Reactions: 1 user
i do feel a bit infatuated by all these new veterinary students hanging around in here lately.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-vet doesn't see this level of activity or have such interesting discussions...Vet is basically a ghost town...too bad, really.

So you're saying you're here to find a bf? ya know....date up?

Pre-vet doesn't see this level of activity or have such interesting discussions...Vet is basically a ghost town...too bad, really.
Vets are gross. My vet student friend was telling me the other day how exciting it was to take a pig temperature rectally. I was like, did you at least turn it into dinner after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all...I don't eat pigs or cows or lambs :D

PROBABLY going to attempt a transition to vegan/raw for a month or two
I'll report back on my megaloblastic anemia
Ftfy

Reactions: 7 users
Vets are gross. My vet student friend was telling me the other day how exciting it was to take a pig temperature rectally. I was like, did you at least turn it into dinner after?

I will mess around with rectal temperatures, rectal palpations, etc. LONG before I go anywhere near the equivalent in a human. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with it. Gross, gross, gross...

Actually, large animal rectal palpation is my bread and butter since therio is what I love the most. :)

I will mess around with rectal temperatures, rectal palpations, etc. LONG before I go anywhere near the equivalent in a human. You couldn't pay me enough to deal with it. Gross, gross, gross...

Actually, large animal rectal palpation is my bread and butter since therio is what I love the most. :)

I am watching the tale of despereaux

now I want a pet mouse

Gee, I wonder what this says about the equivalent male med students. Not so much of a catch anymore? Oh, the irony and sexism.
The trouble is, being a douchebag actually appeals to a certain subgroup of women because they confuse douchiness with assertiveness, so a lot of guys can make it work. Women can't do that as easily, as not as many guys are attracted to the overconfident dbag type.

Not saying either one is a catch, just that guys have it easier than girls when it comes to being a bag of dicks at life.

Don't even get them started on what they do with electric probes.

What's wrong with people who can't date?
I know, right? It's like they're people with flaws and limitations that prevent them from doing a totally normal activity that is critical to their emotional health and that's actually pretty damn sad so let's just be supportive.

I know, right? It's like they're people with flaws and limitations that prevent them from doing a totally normal activity that is critical to their emotional health and that's actually pretty damn sad so let's just be supportive.

I'm not an enabler, MJ.

If there's a consistent problem with dating, it's you. You're not too smart, pretty, handsome, busy, unapproachable, or intimidating. Something about you sucks that needs working on.

It feels good doing some humanitarian stuff before football. :)

I'm not an enabler, MJ.

If there's a consistent problem with dating, it's you. You're not too smart, pretty, handsome, busy, unapproachable, or intimidating. Something about you sucks that needs working on.

It feels good doing some humanitarian stuff before football. :)
And telling them they need to work on things in a polite way is a whole lot better than just saying, "wow, can you believe how messed up these people are? seriously. look at them. look at them and laugh!"

Is that your definition for dependant personality disorder?

Because if being partenered-up is "critical" to your mental health, you're the one in need of support tbh.

Is that your definition for dependant personality disorder?

Because if being partenered-up is "critical" to your mental health, you're the one in need of support tbh.
I wasn't talking about the relationship itself, I was talking about people who have an inability to form relationships with others. The inability to form proper emotional relationships and connections can be fairly detrimental to a person's long-term emotional health, particularly if having a family is something they believe to be very important to them.

I'm in a long-term committed relationship right now, but I was fine with being single, personally, which is something I've gone over ad nauseum on the forums. Being single is awesome. But that doesn't mean it's awesome for everyone, particularly those people that are lacking the social skills and ability to navigate emotional territory that many of the rest of us take for granted.

Well, the week off is over, I really don't want to start studying again :(but 100 PowerPoint slides await.

It's really a pity because prevets are 200% more awesome than most premeds and 90% less neurotic. I used to hang out in prevet regularly just because it was so much more laid back.

Not sure how that's exciting...?

Mostly I hate when I google image a disease and instead of the animal version it's a human :barf:
I was staring at your signature in slack-jawed fascination and now I have so many questions. First: ruminant nutrition. How does it work? The more stomachs there are the more you have to know?

I wasn't talking about the relationship itself, I was talking about people who have an inability to form relationships with others. The inability to form proper emotional relationships and connections can be fairly detrimental to a person's long-term emotional health, particularly if having a family is something they believe to be very important to them.

I'm in a long-term committed relationship right now, but I was fine with being single, personally, which is something I've gone over ad nauseum on the forums. Being single is awesome. But that doesn't mean it's awesome for everyone, particularly those people that are lacking the social skills and ability to navigate emotional territory that many of the rest of us take for granted.

You do realize it's completely possible for normal people with no mental illness to exist that have absolutely no significant relationships, right? Just because something is common among people, doesn't mean you have a problem if you don't follow that dogma. You sound like one of those people that try to make it where everyone has a mental illness. "omg you stepped directly in that puddle, you must be self-harming and hate your life." " wow you don't want to talk to anyone, you must have had poor experiences with peers and thus resent them now." <- example statements from people like that.

Reactions: 2 users
You do realize it's completely possible for normal people with no mental illness to exist that have absolutely no significant relationships, right? Just because something is common among people, doesn't mean you have a problem if you don't follow that dogma. You sound like one of those people that try to make it where everyone has a mental illness. "omg you stepped directly in that puddle, you must be self-harming and hate your life." " wow you don't want to talk to anyone, you must have had poor experiences with peers and thus resent them now." <- example statements from people like that.
I was more speaking about people with actual issues, not normal people. Not everyone who is alone has some kind of problem, and not everyone who has some kind of problem is alone. But there's a subset of guys and girls that have issues like Aspergers and the like that legitimately have real problems when it comes to social interactions and dating. People who have never had a relationship in their life, and cannot navigate the social waters enough to make one happen.

Dear god, I say we should have compassion for people that have issues when it comes to relating to others and everyone gets all up in arms over it. What the hell, SDN?

I was more speaking about people with actual issues, not normal people. Not everyone who is alone has some kind of problem, and not everyone who has some kind of problem is alone. But there's a subset of guys and girls that have issues like Aspergers and the like that legitimately have real problems when it comes to social interactions and dating. People who have never had a relationship in their life, and cannot navigate the social waters enough to make one happen.

Dear god, I say we should have compassion for people that have issues when it comes to relating to others and everyone gets all up in arms over it. What the hell, SDN?

right and I do have compassion for those people, but first that requires accurately diagnosing people and not just labeling everyone as having an illness if they don't meet some arbitrary strict criteria that I establish(something that is extremely rampant in psych)

right and I do have compassion for those people, but first that requires accurately diagnosing people and not just labeling everyone as having an illness if they don't meet some arbitrary strict criteria that I establish(something that is extremely rampant in psych)
I'm not labeling everyone as having any illness. I'm talking about a small subgroup of people. Ark types. They aren't exactly common.

I just don't see where it's inherently determined that Ark has asperger's. Like yes I know he's been diagnosed by a board certified physician, but what is the actual cause of that diagnosis? Patient behavior? If I recall correctly, there isn't a physiologically identifiable illness. Who is to say that he just doesn't see things differently and that is completely fine?

I just don't see where it's inherently determined that Ark has asperger's. Like yes I know he's been diagnosed by a board certified physician, but what is the actual cause of that diagnosis? Patient behavior? If I recall correctly, there isn't a physiologically identifiable illness. Who is to say that he just doesn't see things differently and that is completely fine?
I'm confused; are you claiming that all disorders need to have an identifiable physiologic basis? DSM 5 has pretty clear diagnostic criteria for ASD.

Reactions: 4 users

Reading what he posts on Reddit might change your mind. Also welcome back.

Reactions: 4 users
If we go by your train of thought then there is literally no such thing as depression, psychosis, or any of that, because we've got no physiologically defined illness. Seeing goblins that tell you to shank your neighbor's dog? Good news, you're normal! We can't find anything wrong in your brain! Kid got nonverbal autism? He must just not like talking to you, we can't see anything weird on his MRI! That last suicide attempt that went bad because you didn't quite cut deep enough and somebody found you? Yeah, you don't have depression because of XYZ past events and a genetic propensity, your brain looks fine! You just need to suck it up kiddo! PTSD because you watched three of your friends get cooked alive in a humvee in Baghdad and now every 4th of July the noises make the tape play all over again? Too bad, son, you ain't got nothin' wrong with your brain! Walk it off soldier!

Thinking like yours is the exact reason that so many people kill themselves without ever seeking mental health care, and that mental illness and psychiatric disease is so stigmatized in our society. Just because you can't see it on a scan or test for it in the blood doesn't mean it isn't there. We have a practically infantile level of understanding of the human brain, so at this point we can only treat what we see, not what we completely understand the physiologic basis of.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm confused; are you claiming that all disorders need to have an identifiable physiologic basis? DSM 5 has pretty clear diagnostic criteria for ASD.

absolutely. if you don't, it's going to be manipulated to where anyone that does something that an overseeing body thinks is abnormal, that person has a mental disease. this is essentially how psychiatry is trending now and will continue to do so when there are essentially 0 barriers to entry in terms of saying someone has a disease. it's also an even bigger joke when you consider the paradox of mental disease in that denial of mental disease is considered one of the signs. funny how that works.

WS I want your opinion on this. 1/4 of middle age women take anti-depressants. at what % of middle aged women do we say that their feelings are normal, since they are experienced by a significant amount of people. 50? 75? When do you re-write physiology due to incidence rates of a "disease?"

I was staring at your signature in slack-jawed fascination and now I have so many questions. First: ruminant nutrition. How does it work? The more stomachs there are the more you have to know?
:laugh: I'm happy to answer!

First: the basis of ruminant nutrition is feeding the microbes that live in the rumen (essentially a fermentation vat, the first of the "stomachs" although ruminants only have one true stomach, the abomasum, that functions like a human stomach). The microbes break down stuff and produce energy sources for the ruminant. The idea of nutrition in practice is to balance the high energy demands of production (milk, muscle) with keeping the rumen bugs happy and keeping things economical for the producer.

There's a bit more to know due to the increased number of digestive parts but they've less to do with nutrition than just general problems, like abomasum ulcers and traumatic reticulo-peritonitis.

Reactions: 1 users