DAT retake? 18 AA, GPA 3.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predentgirl1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I took the DAT for the second time in January after I took it after my sophomore year of undergrad back in August of 2016. I got an 18 AA my first time with a QR score of 14 (which really scared me). I was not happy with my scores at all so I decided to retake in January of 2017. Unfortunately I got an 18 AA again and I only brought my QR score up to a 16 (math is NOT a strong point of mine). I was extremely frustrated and I think I can do a lot better. Should I retake again in June? I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and I want to try and apply early. I think I can get it up to at least a 19 if not a 20. I used bootcamp and destroyer for both times and I do not understand why I can't improve, although I have struggled with testing anxiety all my life. I do have good studying habits and have done well in all my classes. I am thinking of doing a Kaplan course as well as using the destroyer again if I do retake? What do you guys think?

I have an overall GPA of 3.7 and a science GPA of 3.6 and I go to a competitive state school. I have leadership positions in multiple organizations, have logged over 400 hours of service, have over 100 shadowing hours, and I got involved in periodontal research at the dental school close to my home last summer. I think I will have great LORs.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think a Kaplan course would increase your score by much if your current resources haven't helped. I would personally retake with an 18 AA - shoot for at least a 20 if you can manage. How much content review did you do before practicing with Bootcamp and Destroyer? How long did you spend on content review and what resources did you use for that?

I don't think a Kaplan course would increase your score by much if your current resources haven't helped. I would personally retake with an 18 AA - shoot for at least a 20 if you can manage. How much content review did you do before practicing with Bootcamp and Destroyer? How long did you spend on content review and what resources did you use for that?

I followed Ari's schedule pretty closely with Chad's videos for gen chem/ochem/QR and then read the Clif's AP book. I took all the tests in bootcamp and maybe did half of detroyer. I spent about 10 weeks the first time and about 5 weeks the second time.

I followed Ari's schedule pretty closely with Chad's videos for gen chem/ochem/QR and then read the Clif's AP book. I took all the tests in bootcamp and maybe did half of detroyer. I spent about 10 weeks the first time and about 5 weeks the second time.
Do ALL of Destroyer, that could have made all the difference in the world!

Just my 2 cents

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I took the DAT for the second time in January after I took it after my sophomore year of undergrad back in August of 2016. I got an 18 AA my first time with a QR score of 14 (which really scared me). I was not happy with my scores at all so I decided to retake in January of 2017. Unfortunately I got an 18 AA again and I only brought my QR score up to a 16 (math is NOT a strong point of mine). I was extremely frustrated and I think I can do a lot better. Should I retake again in June? I will be applying this upcoming cycle, and I want to try and apply early. I think I can get it up to at least a 19 if not a 20. I used bootcamp and destroyer for both times and I do not understand why I can't improve, although I have struggled with testing anxiety all my life. I do have good studying habits and have done well in all my classes. I am thinking of doing a Kaplan course as well as using the destroyer again if I do retake? What do you guys think?

I have an overall GPA of 3.7 and a science GPA of 3.6 and I go to a competitive state school. I have leadership positions in multiple organizations, have logged over 400 hours of service, have over 100 shadowing hours, and I got involved in periodontal research at the dental school close to my home last summer. I think I will have great LORs.

Please help!

I would suggest using a kaplan course if you feel like you need some structure to your studying (you aren't good at studying on your own)

I suggest that you do retake though and shoot for a 20+.

You could apply this cycle and get in, I'm just not sure what your chances are of getting in and you don't want to spend all of that $$ to apply and then not to get into one school.

The best way to make anything easier is simulation practice. In this case the DAT is not so much about content as it is about high volume in a stressful short period of time. On a macroscale all the material is not very difficult if you do content review. What's hard is focusing on a timed test that determines your life because there is so much riding on it.

With that said, the best thing to do is timed tests. Constantly time yourself so that on test day time is not stressing you out.

Do ALL of destroyer multiple times for QR. I am not excellent at Math but squeezed out at 19 having to guess on the last 2-3 questions because of time. If I had not done destroyer and timed myself a bunch prior I think it would have been quite a bit lower.

As far as taking a course, it is not going to help you with content review or specifics of the test. IMO its just an excuse for kaplan to make money because all they do is teach you study tips basically and judging by your GPA you do not need that.

You should go over destroyer multiple times.

Reactions: 1 user
You should go over destroyer multiple times.

This. I slacked on Destroyer in the end because I was getting burnt out, however I had finished everything but the second half of O-Chem at this point.

Since you're supposed to only have 3 tries, this is your last shot. I would go through Destroyer and Math destroyer 2-3x until you know the how and more importantly the WHY for each question. I suck at Math too but you gotta grind through it. Personally I wouldn't waste the money on the Kaplan course, their material isn't comprehensive enough.

Once you can do the Math Destroyer practice test and get a 20 or above timed, you'll be ready for serious improvements in QR.