Should I retake the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garbie0324

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior in college and just took the DAT for the first time in early November. I am slightly hesitant about my scores and I am wondering if I should retake the exam. Here is a breakdown of my scores:

AA: 24
Biology: 21
General Chemistry: 24
Organic Chemistry: 20
Quantitative Reasoning: 24
Reading Comprehension: 30
Perceptual Ability: 18
TS: 22

I am satisfied with my AA but my PAT and TS kinda troubles me. I feel like my AA is only boosted because of my high score in reading comprehension, but I do know that admissions have a greater focus on science subjects. Also frankly speaking, my PAT is just below average for many schools. I would really appreciate an input of opinions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone. I'm currently a junior in college and just took the DAT for the first time in early November. I am slightly hesitant about my scores and I am wondering if I should retake the exam. Here is a breakdown of my scores:

I am satisfied with my AA but my PAT and TS kinda troubles me. I feel like my AA is only boosted because of my high score in reading comprehension, but I do know that admissions have a greater focus on science subjects. Also frankly speaking, my PAT is just below average for many schools. I would really appreciate an input of opinions. Thank you!
why are you troubled about your TS?

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats on your completing the DAT exam and your consistent scores! Your high performance in crucial areas is what matters. It's very rare to see a 30 in the reading section. However, it's important to note that a strong DAT Score is not the sole factor for dental school admission - your GPA plays an equally significant role. To maximize your chances, ensure you have an outstanding personal statement and fulfill all other requirements. It's advisable to research and apply to dental schools that align with your scores and GPA.

Wishing you the best,
Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t retake. Chances of scoring a 24 again isnt a guarantee. Your 22 TS is also a competitive score. You can make up for an 18PAT by showing hand eye skills in your manual dexterity prompt. It isn’t the end of the world.

congrats on the score!

Reactions: 2 users
the average matriculant score is 20.5
try googling what percentile 22 is on the DAT...

Reactions: 2 users
30 on reading.
Tell me more about your life and hobbies, major.
That's insane!

Reactions: 1 user
I personally would not retake, your AA is good enough for 90 percent of dental schools. Getting into the top 5 is a crapshoot even with top tier scores anyhow so retaking just for that would require an insane amount of motivation

Update please, did you apply with these scores or decide to retake? Thanks..Nancy