Should I retake the DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lev2001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my scores:

PAT: 23
QR: 18
Reading:18
Biology:19
Gen Chem: 21
Orgo: 20
AA:19

GPA 4.00

I am about to graduate next semester, over the years I was VP and Prez for my predental club, got volunteering and clinical experience, am a chem tutor, was a bio and a chem teacher assistant, as well as a co-founder of a club. With this in mind, should I retake my DAT? Due to the intense course load last semester, I only had two weeks to study ( I studied on and off for PAT for 4 months hence my 23 score). I am also wondering about my competitiveness as well. Any further advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Your score is decent, I don’t think I would retake it. I think with the other info you provided that you’d have a good shot, you just have to research the schools that would be best to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I am a bit worried though about the fact that I am only applying to one school, Dental College of Georgia, and their overall AA is 21 and PAT is 20. I honestly have little choice but to apply to any other school, and additionally, I simply don't want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I am a bit worried though about the fact that I am only applying to one school, Dental College of Georgia, and their overall AA is 21 and PAT is 20. I honestly have little choice but to apply to any other school, and additionally, I simply don't want to.

I certainly don’t recommend applying to only one school. I don’t remember what their average stats are, but I’d urge you to find more schools to apply to to increase your chance with those DAT scores

I understand, and typically it is recommended to apply to min seven schools, but as I said before there are reasons to why I can apply to only one school. I am just worried that a 19 could be detrimental compared to my other stats like my GPA, but I have also got a 23 on the PAT, so I was just wondering if this score could counter the sub-average AA score. The main thing that brought me down was my reading and math, especially when I had only two weeks to properly study of the DAT

You’ll need great LORs and personal statement. There are two other people who could give you some advice as well, if they don’t respond soon I’ll at them. Is that an in state school?

Yeah DCG is an in-state school, hence why I want to apply there. It is closer to family, higher acceptance rate, and most importantly MUCH cheaper. I am also planning to apply for military HPSP (I would honestly care less which branch would accept me).

Reactions: 1 users
That 4.0 GPA speaks volumes! Your scores are not bad at all, and while I understand your concern about the Dental College of Georgia with your AA being a bit low, I truly believe you have a chance. With your GPA, strong personal statement, and other stats, the odds are in your favor. I recommend reaching out to the school directly, or even visiting them in person, to seek their advice. I know you don't want to retake the DAT Exam, but given more time to prepare, I am confident your scores would be even higher. Stay positive and keep pushing forward!

Wishing you the best!
Nancy, Destroyers

Reactions: 1 users
Here are my scores:

PAT: 23
QR: 18
Reading:18
Biology:19
Gen Chem: 21
Orgo: 20
AA:19

GPA 4.00

I am about to graduate next semester, over the years I was VP and Prez for my predental club, got volunteering and clinical experience, am a chem tutor, was a bio and a chem teacher assistant, as well as a co-founder of a club. With this in mind, should I retake my DAT? Due to the intense course load last semester, I only had two weeks to study ( I studied on and off for PAT for 4 months hence my 23 score). I am also wondering about my competitiveness as well. Any further advice?
Just curious what did you decide? Nancy