CUSOM vs. WCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFuture_22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently found out that I have been accepted to both CUSOM (Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine) and WCU-COM (William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine). I am completely torn between the two schools, and I only have a week to decide which one I am going to because my WCU deposit is due on Tuesday (2/26). It would be really helpful if people could compare the two to help me weight the pros and cons. One thing that is hard for me to judge is the quality of the clinical rotations. I realize that CUSOM is a new school, but they have hospital affiliations set up for rotation spots, etc. Also, I have heard that the board passage rate at new schools is traditionally very low (60% on average is a number I hear thrown around from time to time). I appreciate the effort by everyone that posts, and thanks to everyone for creating such a great community to share ideas and thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently found out that I have been accepted to both CUSOM (Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine) and WCU-COM (William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine). I am completely torn between the two schools, and I only have a week to decide which one I am going to because my WCU deposit is due on Tuesday (2/26). It would be really helpful if people could compare the two to help me weight the pros and cons. One thing that is hard for me to judge is the quality of the clinical rotations. I realize that CUSOM is a new school, but they have hospital affiliations set up for rotation spots, etc. Also, I have heard that the board passage rate at new schools is traditionally very low (60% on average is a number I hear thrown around from time to time). I appreciate the effort by everyone that posts, and thanks to everyone for creating such a great community to share ideas and thoughts!

Do you have a pros and cons list of your own?

Pros for North Carolina (CUSOM):

More career opportunities for wife (in nearby Raleigh 40 min drive)
Grad school possibility for wife at UNC, Duke, etc.
Safer place to live
Nicer and more scenic place to live
Near bigger cities (Raleigh and Fayetteville)
Cheerwine softdrink
Dunkin Donuts in Lillington, NC
Barbeque
Closer to ski areas
White water rafting & hiking
Canoeing and lots of lakes
New state-of-the-art medical school building
Other professional programs at school have a history of high board scores (Law and Pharmacy)
Close to Research Triangle
The faculty/administration were extremely friendly and committed to helping the school succeed

3.5 Hours from Virginia Beach, VA
3 Hours from Myrtle Beach, SC
2 Hours from beach in Wrightsville, NC
8 Hours from NY
4.5 Hours from Washington DC
5 Hours from Baltimore, MD
4.5 Hours from Savannah, GA
13 Hours from Marathon in Florida Keys
8 Hours from Orlando, FL

Pros for Hattiesburg, Mississippi (WCU-COM)

more established school than CUSOM
class less hours per day (25)
Teachers seem experienced
OMM professor Dr. John Jones is a great asset to this school!
more established clinical rotations
Warmer weather
Seafood (Gulf Shrimp, etc.)
Might be easier to make friends (know people that go there)
Closer to the beach
Rally’s
Krystal
Closer to Hometown (8 hour drive)
1 Hour from Gulfport, MS
2 Hours from New Orleans, LA
2 Hours from Mobile, AL
4 Hours from Destin, FL
13 Hours & 45 Min from Marathon, FL

Cons for North Carolina:

New School (growing pains)
Faculty doesn't seem as experienced as WCU-COM
Will be in class longer (31.5 hours)
Further away from home (15.5 hour drive)
We don’t know anyone there
Buies Creek itself is a small town
No Rally’s or Krystal

Cons for Hattiesburg:

Hard for wife to find a job
No nearby Grad Schools for wife
Hurricane/Tornado Territory
Bad Traffic
Some bad parts of town
No Dunkin Donuts
Recent events with firing professors, etc.
1st set up board scores were 73% passage rate (not sure if this is good or bad for a new school)

Important Things That I Need To Know:

The cost of living in each place
How the clinicals are set up and which one will be better
Breaks for each school

I am sure that I am overlooking some major things, but this is what I have came up with so far. The items in bold are important factors in my decision. I also added some funny small factors in there as well (such as fast food restaurants) that really don't matter but I put on my list anyway. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Safer place to live
Cheerwine softdrink
Barbeque
Closer to ski areas
Other professional programs at school have a history of high board scores (Law and Pharmacy)
The faculty/administration were extremely friendly and committed to helping the school succeed

8 Hours from NY
8 Hours from Orlando, FL

Warmer weather
Closer to the beach
Rally's
Krystal
1 Hour from Gulfport, MS
2 Hours from Mobile, AL
4 Hours from Destin, FL

Cons for North Carolina:

We don't know anyone there
No Rally's or Krystal

Cons for Hattiesburg:

Bad Traffic
Some bad parts of town
No Dunkin Donuts
1st set up board scores were 73% passage rate (not sure if this is good or bad for a new school)

Breaks for each school

I am sure that I am overlooking some major things, but this is what I have came up with so far. The items in bold are important factors in my decision. I also added some funny small factors in there as well (such as fast food restaurants) that really don't matter but I put on my list anyway. Thanks!

I attended undergrad in Hattiesburg "Southern Miss alum", cost of living is dirt cheap in hattie, I think you can even get on campus housing at WCU for like 1400 a semester. Dude thats like 4800 a year for housing. Besides the one recently, tornados hardly ever hit there.They have been around a little longer so probably have things figured out a little better.

To add another important factor: systems based curriculum-CUSOM, discipline based curriculum-WCU-COM. I favor systems based because it seems to make more sense to me as a way of retaining knowledge.

Safer place to live
Cheerwine softdrink
Barbeque
Closer to ski areas

8 Hours from NY
8 Hours from Orlando, FL

Warmer weather
Closer to the beach
Rally’s
Krystal
1 Hour from Gulfport, MS
2 Hours from Mobile, AL
4 Hours from Destin, FL

Cons for North Carolina:

We don’t know anyone there
No Rally’s or Krystal

Cons for Hattiesburg:

Bad Traffic
Some bad parts of town
No Dunkin Donuts

Breaks for each school

That is low...It should be in the 85%+ even if it's a new school IMO

When I interviewed at CUSOM I remember them talking quite a bit about the things they were planning on doing to ensure that students succeed at the boards. I think they are going to pretest and also the tests are going to be modeled after board questions IIRC.

I believe systems based curriculum is better for board prep. Thats what I was sold / told at my interviews. It makes sense but I would like to hear some current medical students take.

I believe systems based curriculum is better for board prep. Thats what I was sold / told at my interviews. It makes sense but I would like to hear some current medical students take.

:thumbup: I second that request

Also, I have heard so many bad things about going to a new school, but no one goes into the specifics of why. They commonly say no one wants to be a Guinea pig, politics are an issue, board scores are lower, longer class hours, etc. I just don't see why the board scores have to be lower if that is mainly on us as students. I would like to hear more specifics because this is a huge decision for me, and I want to be informed going into it. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

My school Is systems based. I don't think it's a very good way to teach medicine. The problem with it is the lack of integration. Every system, like cardiology, is taught as its own distinct entity, but in the real world everything is connected. Pathology of the cardiovascular system can cause problems with the pulmonary system, GI, nervous system, etc, but that part, at least at my school, wasn't taught very well. I didn't start to put all of this information together until I started to study for step 1.

PBL is probably the best way to teach medicine and it is probably a more realistic portrayal of how physicans practice medicine.

I would imagine that a discipline based curriculum would have the same problems as a systems based curriculum.

Ive gotten above the 90th percentile on every board exam I've taken, usmle and comlex, so whatever....

Last edited:
My school Is systems based. I don't think it's a very good way to teach medicine.

Ive gotten above the 90th percentile on every board exam I've taken, usmle and comlex, so whatever....

:confused:

Boards are up to you. I know of 3 people in my class, including myself, that got above a 240 on the usmle. I'm sure there are a few more, but most people scored in the 210-220 range.

I bet you, as a premed, could probably go buy first aid and a few question banks (usmle rx, Kaplan qbank, and uworld) and score a 230+ within 4months of studying if you really wanted to.

Boards are up to you. I know of 3 people in my class, including myself, that got above a 240 on the usmle. I'm sure there are a few more, but most people scored in the 210-220 range.

I bet you, as a premed, could probably go buy first aid and a few question banks (usmle rx, Kaplan qbank, and uworld) and score a 230+ within 4months of studying if you really wanted to.

Are you at a newer school? Congrats on the scores, very impressive!

Whoa whoa whoa.

You're in class less at WCU? This has been the biggest gripe there from day 1. Did they change this?

Also the board pass rate freaks me out in a big way. Something simply isn't working over there. Curriculum sucks? Accepting too low caliber students? You'll never know.

Whoa whoa whoa.

You're in class less at WCU? This has been the biggest gripe there from day 1. Did they change this?

Also the board pass rate freaks me out in a big way. Something simply isn't working over there. Curriculum sucks? Accepting too low caliber students? You'll never know.

From what I hear, WCU-COM has been addressing the class time issue as of late. The 25 hours estimate was from my talks with current students, and what they had heard it would be for the incoming class of 2017. The previous classes went to class much more than 25 hours (I think most weeks they were closer to 35-40 hours from what I hear).

C&P from other Q..
Personally, I would go the safer route and go for the established school.

New schools always, always have growing pains. Things don't go as planned, things don't work, new ideas and curriculum must be devised, etc. That's just the nature of a new program. Who are the guinea pigs for this new program? The 1st and maybe 2nd classes.

Med school is a huge investment (money, time, etc) the last thing you want is to play chance with the foundation for your future career. If the school's curriculum was flawed at first and inadequately prepared the first round of students for their boards, the school will correct the problem for the next round of students, but the first students are screwed. the boards arent like the MCAT, you only get 1chance.

New schools are obviously going to downplay this risk even though they know its a possibility because at the end of the day, its a business and they have to start somewhere. Its up to the students to make sure they make the best decision for themselves and their future.

If you have a choice, which you do, I'd recommend the safer, established school. Why take the risk with something this important?

C&P from other Q..

New schools always, always have growing pains. Things don't go as planned, things don't work, new ideas and curriculum must be devised, etc. That's just the nature of a new program. Who are the guinea pigs for this new program? The 1st and maybe 2nd classes.

Med school is a huge investment (money, time, etc) the last thing you want is to play chance with the foundation for your future career. If the school's curriculum was flawed at first and inadequately prepared the first round of students for their boards, the school will correct the problem for the next round of students, but the first students are screwed. the boards arent like the MCAT, you only get 1chance.

New schools are obviously going to downplay this risk even though they know its a possibility because at the end of the day, its a business and they have to start somewhere. Its up to the students to make sure they make the best decision for themselves and their future.

If you have a choice, which you do, I'd recommend the safer, established school. Why take the risk with something this important?

Thank you for your thoughts! Great points made!

I attended undergrad in Hattiesburg "Southern Miss alum", cost of living is dirt cheap in hattie, I think you can even get on campus housing at WCU for like 1400 a semester. Dude thats like 4800 a year for housing. Besides the one recently, tornados hardly ever hit there.They have been around a little longer so probably have things figured out a little better.

Thank you! What is it like living in Hattiesburg?

C&P from other Q..

These are generalities that though can often be right do not apply in many situations. Perfect example is this thread on WCU-COM vs CUSOM. WCU-COM, which I have nothing against, is by no means an established school, in fact, they haven't even graduated a class yet. CUSOM, though just opening in the fall, is taking a large part of their curriculum from pre-existing, successful programs. Notice the leadership has already created successful founding curriculum at LECOM and VCOM-SC for example. I just point these things out to make it clear how "muddled" the realities of these programs are and that trying to follow general rules or advice like 'go to the established school' or 'new schools have curriculum problems' this is subjective advice that cannot be universally applied

These are generalities that though can often be right do not apply in many situations. Perfect example is this thread on WCU-COM vs CUSOM. WCU-COM, which I have nothing against, is by no means an established school, in fact, they haven't even graduated a class yet. CUSOM, though just opening in the fall, is taking a large part of their curriculum from pre-existing, successful programs. Notice the leadership has already created successful founding curriculum at LECOM and VCOM-SC for example. I just point these things out to make it clear how "muddled" the realities of these programs are and that trying to follow general rules or advice like 'go to the established school' or 'new schools have curriculum problems' this is subjective advice that cannot be universally applied

That's a great point! I agree that those types of statements often don't work universally. I like how this thread is going so far! Nice to get both sides of the argument to aid in formulating my decision.

My school Is systems based. I don't think it's a very good way to teach medicine. The problem with it is the lack of integration. Every system, like cardiology, is taught as its own distinct entity, but in the real world everything is connected. Pathology of the cardiovascular system can cause problems with the pulmonary system, GI, nervous system, etc, but that part, at least at my school, wasn't taught very well. I didn't start to put all of this information together until I started to study for step 1.

I don't know anything about either school so I could be completely off. Isn't CUSOM modeling their curriculum after RVU/TCOM? If so they've addressed the lack of integration between systems. That model seemed to be by far the best to me and I believe it's backed pretty well by good board scores for the small amount of time it's been around.

Do you have a hospital list for both schools? Do you know how many electives you have in your fourth year at each school?

I would imagine both schools will provide you with the same opportunities. You probably should just go where your wife will be happy.

Even if WCU-COM hasn't been around forever, the entering class for 2013 will enter into an evironment that has been refined and revised based off problems the earlier classes ran into. Which gives the class entering in 2013 a much more smooth experience

Med school is hard enough without having to worry about those "new school" problems and the detours the students have to take. I feel like these problems would be a distraction from what's most important in med school. For me at least.
I would choose the (more) established program so I have less complications to worry about and I could just focus on learning medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a hospital list for both schools? Do you know how many electives you have in your fourth year at each school?

I would imagine both schools will provide you with the same opportunities. You probably should just go where your wife will be happy.

CUSOM
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals
CUSOM has a strong emphasis on maintaining a balance between hospital-based and out-patient medical training. Clerkship training sites are based primarily in community hospitals and outpatient clinics for family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, OB/GYN, general surgery, emergency medicine, rural underserved care, and geriatrics. North Carolina has abundant healthcare facilities, including many with large health systems able to support third- and fourth-year rotations.
CUSOM is a member of the Osteopathic Medical Network of Excellence in Education (OMNEE) which will enable the development of new osteopathic post-doctoral programs in conjunction with student rotations to ensure the educational continuum from predoctoral to postdoctoral education.
The following hospitals/Health Systems have provided letters of commitment pledging to take students:
• WakeMed Raleigh Campus (Wake County)
• New Hanover Regional Medical Center (New Hanover County)
• Southeastern Regional Medical Center (Robeson County)
• Forsyth Hospital (Novant Health) (Forsyth County)
• Presbyterian Hospital (Novant Health) (Mecklenberg County)
• Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital (Harnett Health) (Harnett County)
• Cape Fear Valley Regional Medical Center (Cumberland County)
• Alamance Regional Medical Center (Alamance County)
• Central Carolina Hospital (Lee County)
• Johnston Medical Center (Johnston County)
• Harnett County Hospital – (Harnett County)
Total: 442 written commitments for students per month
Year 3 Core rotations will be:
 Internal Medicine I, II (8 weeks)
 Medical Selective (4 weeks)
 Surgery (4 weeks)
 Obstetrics/Gynecology (4 weeks)
 Family Practice (4 weeks)
 Pediatrics (4 weeks)
 Psychiatry/Behavioral Sci. (4 weeks)
 Rural/Underserved/International (4 weeks)
 Simulation Lab (4 weeks)
 Elective (4 weeks)
 Clinical Academic Assessment (4 weeks)
 Vacation (4 weeks)
Total 52 weeks
Clinical Modules
Students will be provided with required curriculum during the third year. Independent learning
objectives will be provided for the core discipline rotations as well as reading assignments.
Clinical cases include:
Family Medicine 20 hrs
Underserved Care 20 hrs
Internal Medicine 40 hrs
Surgery 40 hrs
Obstetrics/Gynecology 20 hrs71
Pediatrics 20 hrs
Psychiatry 20 hrs
Medical Selective 20 hrs
Clinical Rotations
To become eligible for graduation, each fourth year student must have passed the written
COMLEX Level 2 including the PE component.
 Residency Development (4 weeks)
 Medical Selective (8 weeks)
 Primary Care Selective (4 weeks)
 Surgical Selective (4 weeks)
 Geriatrics (4 weeks)
 Sub-internship (4 weeks)
 Emergency Medicine (4 weeks)72
 Electives I, II, III (12 weeks)
 Vacation (4 weeks)
 Remediation, if necessary (4 weeks)
Total 52 weeks
NOTE: Minimum requirements for clinical rotations are 160 hours each for four week rotations,
and 80 hours each for two week rotations.
Medical and Surgical selectives will be completed at CUSOM sites where CUSOM has
established rotations, affiliation agreements and faculty. Limited exceptions may be granted;
students may apply for up to two selectives in an outside region where AOA post-graduate
programs exist.
Most rotations will be scheduled on a four week basis. The scheduling document accommodates
for the approved two week rotations. Rotations cannot be split.

WCU-COM
Affiliated Hospitals and Clinics
Facility Location
Aaron E. Henry Community Health Center Batesville, MS
Baptist Health Care Corporation Pensacola, FL
Baptist Memorial Hospital - Golden Triangle Columbus, MS
Biloxi Regional Medical Center Biloxi, MS
Central Mississippi Medical Center Jackson, MS
Christus St. Patrick Medical Group Lake Charles, LA
Coastal Family Health Center Biloxi, MS
Crossgates River Oaks Hospital Brandon, MS
Delta Regional Medical Center Greenville, MS
Family Health Center Laurel, MS
Forrest General Hospital Hattiesburg, MS
Franklin County Medical Center Winnsboro, LA
Garden Park Medical Center Gulfport, MS
Grenada Lake Medical Center Grenada, MS
HCA Midwest Division Physician Practices Gulfport, MS
H.C. Watkins Memorial Hospital Quitman, MS
Hancock Medical Center Bay St. Louis, MS
Hattiesburg Clinic Hattiesburg, MS
Anderson Regional Medical Center Meridian, MS
John C. Stennis Hospital DeKalb, MS
Keesler Air Force Base Biloxi, MS
Kings Daughter's Medical Center Brookhaven, MS
Lafayette Women's & Children's Lafayette, LA
Laird Hospital Union, MS
Magee General Hospital Magee, MS
Magnolia Regional Health Center Corinth, MS
Memorial Hospital of Gulfport Gulfport, MS
Mississippi State Hospital Whitfield, MS
Natchez Community Hospital Natchez, MS
Neshoba General Hospital Philadelphia, MS
North Okaloosa Medical Center Crestview, FL
Northwest MS Regional Medical Center Clarksdale, MS
Pine Belt Mental Healthcare Hattiesburg, MS
Pioneer Health Services Aberdeen, MS
River Oaks Hospital Flowood, MS
River Region Health System Vicksburg, MS
Rush Foundation Hospital Meridian, MS
Scott Regional Hospital Morton, MS
Singing River Health System Pascagoula, MS
South Central Regional Medical Center Laurel, MS
South MS State Hospital Purvis, MS
Southwest MS Regional Medical Center McComb, MS
Stone County Hospital Wiggins, MS
Wayne General Hospital Waynesboro, MS
Wesley Medical Center Hattiesburg, MS

Clerkship Curriculum
The clinical clerkship curriculum leading to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree is an 83-week program designed to educate and equip osteopathic physicians with skills necessary to enable them to enter primary care practice or pursue further graduate training related to a medical specialty.
Clerkship rotations provide increased continuity in training and offer students experience working with a variety of allied health professionals.
Students become competent in patient care delivery through enrollment in the following required clinical rotations:
• Family Medicine
• Emergency Medicine
• Internal Medicine
• Pediatrics
• General Surgery
• OBGYN/Women’s Health
• Mental Health
OMS3 – OMS4
CURRICULUM 2012-2013

Year Course Name Specialty Number How approved # Months Course # Hours Credit
OMS3 Family Medicine 1 10 Required and Assigned 1 7311 8
OMS3 Family Medicine 2 10 Required and Assigned 1 7312 8
OMS3 ER Medicine 1 20 Required and Assigned 1 7321 8
OMS3 ER Medicine 2 20 Required and Assigned 1 7322 8
OMS3 Internal Medicine 1 30 Required and Assigned 1 7331 8
OMS3 Internal Medicine 2 30 Required and Assigned 1 7332 8
OMS3 Pediatrics 1 40 Required and Assigned 1 7341 8
OMS3 Pediatrics 2 40 Required and Assigned 1 7342 8
OMS3 General Surgery 1 50 Required and Assigned 1 7351 8
OMS3 General Surgery 2 50 Required and Assigned 1 7352 8
OMS3 OBGYN/ Women's Health 60 Required and Assigned 1 7361 8
OMS3 Mental Health 70 Required and Assigned 1 7371 8
OMS4 Medical Subspecialty 1 10 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7411 8
OMS4 Medical Subspecialty 2 10 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7412 8
OMS4 Medical Subspecialty 3 10 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7413 8
OMS4 Medical Subspecialty 4 10 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7414 8
OMS4 Surgical Subspecialty 1 20 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7421 8
OMS4 Surgical Subspecialty 2 20 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7422 8
OMS4 Surgical Subspecialty 3 20 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7423 8
OMS4 Surgical Subspecialty 4 20 Associate Dean Clinical Sciences Approval 1 7424 8
Total 20 160

Sorry about the formatting on my last post, really hard to read.

I don't know anything about either school so I could be completely off. Isn't CUSOM modeling their curriculum after RVU/TCOM? If so they've addressed the lack of integration between systems. That model seemed to be by far the best to me and I believe it's backed pretty well by good board scores for the small amount of time it's been around.

I am not sure who they are modeled after, but most of the faculty/administration are from VCOM. I am guessing most of the curriculum is modeled after them.

Whoa whoa whoa.

The 73% board pass rate is very troubling. I think it might have something to do with the curriculum (not the caliber of students they accept) since the average stats for accepted students is comparable to LMU-DCOM and KYCOM, and these two schools have a 90%+ first time pass rate.

Even if WCU-COM hasn't been around forever, the entering class for 2013 will enter into an evironment that has been refined and revised based off problems the earlier classes ran into. Which gives the class entering in 2013 a much more smooth experience

Med school is hard enough without having to worry about those "new school" problems and the detours the students have to take. I feel like these problems would be a distraction from what's most important in med school. For me at least.
I would choose the (more) established program so I have less complications to worry about and I could just focus on learning medicine.

This is one of the main factors that scares me about a new school. Thanks for bringing it up!

Looking at those list, and using freida (https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do), it looks like WCU has 2 affiliates, northwest medical center and magnolia, that have residency programs and CU has 1 affiliate, new Hanover, that has several residency programs. So both are tied in that regard.

If I were you I'd search for how big the hospitals are (ie how many beds) and what their trauma level rating is. You really want places that are 400 beds or more that are trauma 1 or 2 centers.

CU 3rd and 4th year schedule looks more structured and normal. I've never seen anything like WCUs, hah. I guess you can set up your 4th year anyway you want at WCU.

Last edited:
Looking at those list, and using freida (https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do), it looks like WCU has 2 affiliates, northwest medical center and magnolia, that have residency programs and CU has 1 affiliate, new Hanover, that has several residency programs. So both are tied in that regard.

If I were you I'd search for how big the hospitals are (ie how many beds) and what their trauma level rating is. You really want places that are 400 beds or more that are trauma 1 or 2 centers.

CU 3rd and 4th year schedule looks more structured and normal. I've never seen anything like WCUs, hah. I guess you can set up your 4th year anyway you want at WCU.

Thank you for the info! The quality of rotation sites is so hard to gauge as a pre-med, so the help is greatly appreciated. I did a little research on CUSOM and here is what I found:

New Hanover Regional Medical Center Wilmington
769 37 806 Level II

WakeMed-Raleigh
618 35 653 Level I -

These are the two hospitals at CUSOM that meet those requirements table is organized as follows: hospital beds, operating rooms, total rooms, designation of trauma center

I had a hard time finding info on the hospitals affiliated with WCU-COM but Northwest MS Regional Medical Center Clarksdale, MS has 195 hospitals beds and I couldn't find the trauma designation.

Also, that is a great website that you linked about! Thanks for that as well!

Last edited:

35163289.jpg

Thank you! What is it like living in Hattiesburg?

Weather is really nice if you like warm weather, short drive away from costal beaches. Mardi Gras is an offical holiday in the gulf south, all schools let out and businesses close. Lots of liqour stores. It has everything you need but not everything you want. Entertainment is a little lacking in the city, but you can be in New orelans in 2 hours. If you're an outdoor type, there is a 40 mile long running, biking trail called the long leaf trace, It goes through pine forest and is really peaceful, safe, and visually beautiful ( lots of deer and bunnies run across the trail from time to time.) Brett Farve lives in Hattiesburg, he is a Southern Miss alumn and visits campus regularly, I don't know much about William Carey, but the girls at Southern Miss are surprisingly cute and fit ( disregard that since you are married). Overall not great, but not horrible either. What does your wife study? Southern Miss is your typical large state U 17,000 kids I think? They have lots of grad programs, then of course there is LSU, UAB, BAMA, AUBURN kinda nearby.... oh yeah people kill over football down here. Seriously.

Last edited:
One huge thing that hasn't been mentioned: Campbell's building is on a golf course. Literally ON a golf course...

For me, I love it. For those who are worried about a slice catching their windshield, maybe not so much

One huge thing that hasn't been mentioned: Campbell's building is on a golf course. Literally ON a golf course...

For me, I love it. For those who are worried about a slice catching their windshield, maybe not so much

I love this too! I don't know how to play golf, but I would love to learn.

Weather is really nice if you like warm weather, short drive away from costal beaches. Mardi Gras is an offical holiday in the gulf south, all schools let out and businesses close. Lots of liqour stores. It has everything you need but not everything you want. Entertainment is a little lacking in the city, but you can be in New orelans in 2 hours. If you're an outdoor type, there is a 40 mile long running, biking trail called the long leaf trace, It goes through pine forest and is really peaceful, safe, and visually beautiful ( lots of deer and bunnies run across the trail from time to time.) Brett Farve lives in Hattiesburg, he is a Southern Miss alumn and visits campus regularly, I don't know much about William Carey, but the girls at Southern Miss are surprisingly cute and fit ( disregard that since you are married). Overall not great, but not horrible either. What does your wife study? Southern Miss is your typical large state U 17,000 kids I think? They have lots of grad programs, then of course there is LSU, UAB, BAMA, AUBURN kinda nearby.... oh yeah people kill over football down here. Seriously.

Sounds like a good place to live! That 40 mile trail sounds awesome! That definitely interests me as I love trail running, mountain biking, etc.

When I toured it seemed like it would have to be a very wicked slice to hit the parking lot. Nonetheless, proximity to a golf course is nice

For me, I love it. For those who are worried about a slice catching their windshield, maybe not so much[/QUOTE]

There was a joke made about this on my interview day... it is additional motivation to come to class early because late comers will have high risk back of lot parking :)

For me, I love it. For those who are worried about a slice catching their windshield, maybe not so much[/QUOTE]

There was a joke made about this on my interview day... it is additional motivation to come to class early because late comers will have high risk back of lot parking :)

Or not showing up at all :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

When I toured it seemed like it would have to be a very wicked slice to hit the parking lot. Nonetheless, proximity to a golf course is nice

Then you didn't look closely or you don't play golf! It was a VERY narrow fairway that hugged the left side of the parking lot!!

I have absolutely no doubt that a car will get hit within the first week of class. Quote me on that haha

Then you didn't look closely or you don't play golf! It was a VERY narrow fairway that hugged the left side of the parking lot!!

I have absolutely no doubt that a car will get hit within the first week of class. Quote me on that haha

Well you are right that I didn't look closely enough and I have a very minimal knowledge of golf. However, I have a feeling that attending CUSOM may change that. :)