General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH Applicant Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I also got my letter in the mail today. It says the same, "It's my pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted for graduate admission to the Occupational Therapy program for the Spring 2018." The letter is dated Nov. 9, 2017 and it says on the envelope 11/13/17. I'm still going to be waiting for the department letter on further instructions.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think we should start seeing admission letters from the OT department fairly soon. Hopefully, it'll come before thanksgiving for the first batch of students. I noticed at the bottom of their website they added a link to "Toropay Admissions", which coincides with the statement that OT10 made about the "$150 seat deposit" to secure your seat for the program. Gone is the old fashioned send in a check method to secure your seat.

My friend currently in the program mentioned that their have been a lot of changes within the program the past 2 years. So i'm not surprised our admission letters are taking this long. But the wait will be worth it! Good luck everyone :)!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we should start seeing admission letters from the OT department fairly soon. Hopefully, it'll come before thanksgiving for the first batch of students. I noticed at the bottom of their website they added a link to "Toropay Admissions", which coincides with the statement that OT10 made about the "$150 seat deposit" to secure your seat for the program. Gone is the old fashioned send in a check method to secure your seat.

My friend currently in the program mentioned that their have been a lot of changes within the program the past 2 years. So i'm not surprised our admission letters are taking this long. But the wait will be worth it! Good luck everyone :)!!

Did your status change too?

Did anyone else’s status change online?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
First all, Congrats to everyone who has received a letter! I've been lurking on this forum for a couple weeks now. My status changed from "in review" to "admitted to university and eligible to enroll" on Tuesday. On Thursday I began to see the "student center" and "my academics" with the entire program outline of the courses needed to take each semester. I have not received a letter yet, so I am a bit skeptical, crossing my fingers!

I honestly have no idea how the university is going about this.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,
First all, Congrats to everyone who has received a letter! I've been lurking on this forum for a couple weeks now. My status changed from "in review" to "admitted to university and eligible to enroll" on Tuesday. On Thursday I began to see the "student center" and "my academics" with the entire program outline of the courses needed to take each semester. I have not received a letter yet, so I am a bit skeptical, crossing my fingers!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Same thing happened to me... I’m hoping to see a letter by Tuesday, anticipating a 1 week delay. I just want to be excited already seeing the classes and it stuff on the student center...but I can’t till I get to that letter lol

Hey everyone, wanted to let you guys know that I received my letter today!! It congrats me and mentions that I must reserve my seat by November 30 using the Toropay link. Excited to meet all of cohort 14!!

Reactions: 8 users
I also received my official letter from the OT Department, and the letter and envelope are dated 11/15. I'm just glad all the anxiousness over this process is over for me now haha. Hopefully more of you can experience this relief soon!

Reactions: 4 users
I also received my official letter from the OT Department, and the letter and envelope are dated 11/15. I'm just glad all the anxiousness over this process is over for me now haha. Hopefully more of you can experience this relief soon!

Yayyyy!! Congrats!! We are finally seeing the real acceptances!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hey everyone, wanted to let you guys know that I received my letter today!! It congrats me and mentions that I must reserve my seat by November 30 using the Toropay link. Excited to meet all of cohort 14!!

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats so we can get an idea if there is a certain stats they are accepting?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also received my acceptance in the mail today! I'm so glad the agonizing waiting process is finally over. I'm looking forward to starting the program and meeting everyone!

Yayyyy!! Congrats!! We are finally seeing the real acceptances!! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks! And yeah, I was holding off posting them until I received an acceptance or rejection from the department.

Major: Health Science
GPA: 3.94
Prerequisites: 3.93 (A- in the second half of Anatomy and Physiology)
GRE: 155 V 157 Q 5.5 AWA
Volunteer: about 120 hours split between early intervention and hippotherapy
LOR: one from an OT, one from a professor I had for three major classes, and one from my karate sensei who has known me since I was a kid

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I just got my letter from the department today. It details how to confirm acceptance and pay the fee, and the deadline for that is November 30. Hopefully this means that for those who haven't heard back, they'll be sending out more acceptances past that date too. And someone suggested that we would have to use ToroPay online, which is correct. Good luck all!

Major: bs occupational therapy
GPA: 3.46
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Gre: verbal 151 quant. 147 awa 5

Volunteer: over 400 hours in hand therapy, peds school setting, early intervention peds program, stroke rehab facility, inpatient and outpatient neuro and acute rehab.

Experience: behavioral and developmental interventionist.

Hey guys,

So I got my acceptance letter in the mail today too! I was expecting to get the university letter first but this seems to be the department letter with the due date for sending in my response and deposit.
I’m excited to meet you all in January!

Reactions: 3 users
I was also accepted earlier today! (although I never did receive that university letter...) I can't wait to meet you all in January :) Congratulations (so far) @Future_OT_, @TerribleWithUserNames, @futureot2018cali, @north_wind, @kabobberz, and @fox.paws!

And best of luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back soon!

Five pages in and 200+ posts later we finally have some legit acceptances. Good luck to future prospective students reading through this hahah

Me too @HelpMeGetIntoOT. I called the department, and they told me they are sending letters out until the end of November. So crossing my fingers for us! :)

Me too @HelpMeGetIntoOT. I called the department, and they told me they are sending letters out until the end of November. So crossing my fingers for us! :)
Hope that means there's a chance for those of us who haven't seen any changes!

Has everyone who’s gotten a letter from Admissions gotten a letter from the department? And is there anyone who’s gotten a letter from the Admissions not gotten one from the department? Lol. I’m trying to not get worried.

My official letter from the department just came in the mail! I am so happy that this process is over and can't wait to meet the cohort!

My stats:
Undergrad: Kinesiology Pre-OT
Cum GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: 3.75
GRE 151 Q, 157 V, 5.0 writing
Shadow: 50 hours adult rehab, 50 peds outpatient, 50 hours school district
Letters: Anatomy professor, OT I shadowed and have known for two years, and Chair of Kinesiology Dept for my school
Extra: 1 year as a caregiver for a woman with quadriplegia, 1 year as a behavior technician/case manager for kids with autism, 6 months as a Special Education Substitute teacher, 6 months as a swim instructor for people with disabilities, 1 year Anatomy/Physiology TA

I wanted to share something to encourage you all. Last year I applied, got rejected and was devastated. However, I took the past year to re-take my GRE and gained more experience. I had an amazing year even though I thought it would be awful and now feel more prepared for this program. My advice is to get your scores as high as possible, but more importantly make yourself stand out as an applicant with your experiences/letters/personal statement. Also, stop looking on these forums so much as they only create more anxiety! Lol. Good luck to everyone :)

Also, if anyone else in the cohort is looking for housing, please let me know. I’m still trying to find a place to live! Lol

My official letter from the department just came in the mail! I am so happy that this process is over and can't wait to meet the cohort!

My stats:
Letters: Anatomy professor, OT I shadowed and have known for two years, and Chair of Kinesiology Dept for my school
Extra: 1 year as a caregiver for a woman with quadriplegia, 1 year as a behavior technician/case manager for kids with autism, 6 months as a Special Education Substitute teacher, 6 months as a swim instructor for people with disabilities, 1 year Anatomy/Physiology TA

I wanted to share something to encourage you all. Last year I applied, got rejected and was devastated. However, I took the past year to re-take my GRE and gained more experience. I had an amazing year even though I thought it would be awful and now feel more prepared for this program. My advice is to get your scores as high as possible, but more importantly make yourself stand out as an applicant with your experiences/letters/personal statement. Also, stop looking on these forums so much as they only create more anxiety! Lol. Good luck to everyone :)

My stats:

Hey guys! Also received my official letter from the department!!!!! Excited to start in january!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I got my acceptance letter this past Saturday from the department! This is the best news heard all year :)

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far! It also looks like everyone who has received a letter from the school has also received the letter from the OT department. I'm so relieved to know that the first letter was real. I agree with OThopeful22 that these forums can definitely cause more anxiety. However, I'm also thankful because, without these forums, I wouldn't have known to work extra hard on my GRE writing (in addition to everything else). Good luck to all of you still waiting. Don't doubt yourself! Hope to see you in January!

Okay, so my other half received his acceptance letter on Saturday it was dated 11/15. His status changed to “you have been admitted” on Tuesday, he was able to see student center on Thursday. He never received a letter from the university. The letter received was from the dept. with instructions to pay the fee no later than nov. 30th bc they have alternate list (hope for us with no news yet). His stats is:

Undergrad: public health major
Cum GPA: 3.85 major gpa: 3.99
Pre reqs: 4.0
GRE: 146 Q 152 V 4 AWA
Hours: 80 hours hippo therapy and clinic peds.
120 hours masters internship in occupational therapy setting
Experience: martial arts instructor, he is a current lab instructor for health science dept at our alma matter for undergrad, he will also be an adjunct faculty for csu, he is an army veteran, he taught a special topic for a day for Loma Linda university first year medical students
Awards: he was the outstanding undergraduate for his dept as an undergrad, he ranked top 7% of the university, he ranked #1 in his dept as undergrad and graduate student, he has been awarded combat veteran award... and too many more to list

Masters in public health
GPA: 4.0

We were hoping to do this program together... he's still hoping big for me as I'm starting to freak out more and more

Hi everyone! I just received my admissions letter today as well from the OT department! I am so excited to meet everyone! Although a lot of people received the university letter before the OT department letter, I on the other hand did not receive the university letter only the OT department letter! Looking forward to meeting this Cohort in January! We did it guys! :soexcited:

Hi everyone! I just received my admissions letter today as well from the OT department! I am so excited to meet everyone! Although a lot of people received the university letter before the OT department letter, I on the other hand did not receive the university letter only the OT department letter! Looking forward to meeting this Cohort in January! We did it guys! :soexcited:
Yay!! Congrats to you! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Healthcare Administration - CSUN
GPA-CSUN: 4.0
GPA - Pre Req: 4.0
CUM GPA (University & Community College): 3.75
GRE: 146 Q 152 V 4.5 AWA
Experience/ OT Hours: 150 + Hours in observation in OT clinics.
Observations:
1) Hand Therapy Clinic 2) Hospital Rehab Gym 3) Children's Early Intervention School 4) Neurological Facility
Work Experience:
1) Pharmacy 2) Home Health Care Agency
Awards: Graduated Cum Laude - Honors
Recommendations:
1) Hand Therapist - OT 2) OT Supervisor at Hospital 3) Health Care Admin. Professor/Mentor

Hello everyone, I have been watching this thread for a little while now and I thought it was time I joined into the conversation. I am currently from Ohio and I am trying to make it out to the west coast as soon as possible! Originally, I planned to move out there by the end of this December but I don't think the move will be possible without getting into OT school first...I applied to CSUDH a few days after the application opened and have yet to hear anything about acceptance yet. I am starting to get a little nervous since I haven't received anything so far and some of you have (congratulations by the way!). Does anyone know the ratio of out of state students to in state students for this program? I am hoping the extra tuition money that CSUDH would get from me might help my chances of getting accepted! Good luck to everyone!

Hello everyone, I have been watching this thread for a little while now and I thought it was time I joined into the conversation. I am currently from Ohio and I am trying to make it out to the west coast as soon as possible! Originally, I planned to move out there by the end of this December but I don't think the move will be possible without getting into OT school first...I applied to CSUDH a few days after the application opened and have yet to hear anything about acceptance yet. I am starting to get a little nervous since I haven't received anything so far and some of you have (congratulations by the way!). Does anyone know the ratio of out of state students to in state students for this program? I am hoping the extra tuition money that CSUDH would get from me might help my chances of getting accepted! Good luck to everyone!

Hi! Have you looked at your portal yet? What does it say?

Hi! Have you looked at your portal yet? What does it say?
My CSUDH portal still says my application is “in review” so I’m nervous that it might be a bad sign.. I emailed someone to get more answers about when that may change and all they said that all decision letters will be mailed out by the end of November. I’m hoping I find out soon so I don’t end up with less than a month to move across the country

Hi guys,

I’ve also been following this thread for few days now, and first, i wanna congratulate everyone whose been accepted. I am so excited for you guys!

Unfortunately, my status on my portal hasn’t changed yet and I am starting to lose hope :( It seems that our status on the portal changes first?
Do you guys think that if the status on my portal hasn’t changed yet, the chances of my acceptance is very low? Since it is already the 21st, i’m starting to freak out. Really hate this waiting time... :(

Im starting to lose hope too but I don't think we should... the letter my fiancé received said they all have by nov 30 to respond due to alternate list they have. I think the fact our status hasn't changed is better than it changed to denied bc it means we're still in the running and although the process has been different than previous years it seems like previous years they've taken up to four weeks to send out acceptances based on batches

But wouldn’t rejection and waitlist letters be going out simulatiously with acceptances? That way we would know whether or not we are on the alternate list?

But wouldn’t rejection and waitlist letters be going out simultaneously with acceptances? That way we would know whether or not we are on the alternate list?
I heard from them last week asking me to verify my volunteer hours so it seems like they were still making decisions around then. Nothing on my profile has changed since then.

But wouldn’t rejection and waitlist letters be going out simulatiously with acceptances? That way we would know whether or not we are on the alternate list?

Exactly! Last year someone got rejection letters before wait list. If anything rejection letters and wait list letters go out same time. Either way there’s still hope if your statuses still says complete and not changed to denied to university

I heard from them last week asking me to verify my volunteer hours saying so it seems like they were still making decisions around then. Nothing on my profile has changed since then.

Dude that’s GREAT news!!!!! When they reach out to you to ask specific questions about your application they are HIGHLy considering you, or have chosen you so they’re just verifying lose ends.

I heard from them last week asking me to verify my volunteer hours saying so it seems like they were still making decisions around then. Nothing on my profile has changed since then.
Also, what did they mean verify them?? What did they want exactly

I heard from them last week asking me to verify my volunteer hours so it seems like they were still making decisions around then. Nothing on my profile has changed since then.
Oh thats awesome! I heard when they reach out to you for more info or an interview that it's a good sign. Did they say why they needed verification?

Exactly! Last year someone got rejection letters before wait list. If anything rejection letters and wait list letters go out same time. Either way there’s still hope if your statuses still says complete and not changed to denied to university
Ohhh I see what you're saying. Yea I keep jumping up when I hear the mail person and have mini heart attacks while waiting for mycsudh page to load. I'm ready for a decision, even if it isn't my preferred one.

Not sure what they wanted with the verification, they never told me but I sent them a verification from my supervising ot again and documentation and I haven't heard from them since then so fingers crossed. It's either a yes or a no or a waitlist but it seems like most people have heard who'd be able to let them know by November 30th.

Not sure what they wanted with the verification they never told me but I sent them a verification from my supervising ot again and documentation.
Keeep believing.. hang tight to that hope... this is GREAT news, for two reasons.. one they’re highly interested in you and two they’re still making decisions..
btw, did they email you or call you

Ohhh I see what you're saying. Yea I keep jumping up when I hear the mail person and have mini heart attacks while waiting for mycsudh page to load. I'm ready for a decision, even if it isn't my preferred one.

Me too!!! My heart stops every time too.. ugh. And I can relate to your concerns abt stats bc my gpa is on the lower end too..

Me too!!! My heart stops every time too.. ugh. And I can relate to your concerns abt stats bc my gpa is on the lower end too..
yeaaa mine is too, so I'm just crossing my fingers for a waitlist tbh