Considering a DSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olayak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The DSW has returned. NYU just added a DSW program last year (they already have a PhD in SW program) and Rutgers has a great DSW program. So does U Penn. It's coming back in vogue.

Anyway, I'm totally considering the DSW. Does anyone here have a DSW or know much about it? (other than what's on the school website). What's the huge benefit to getting a DSW?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure, someone else pointed out that the NASW salary surveys indicated higher pay for those with a DSW. Regardless, as I'm sure you know, you get reimbursed at the MSW level (at least by insurance). Like you stated in a previous thread, it may just be that you get to put "Dr." in front of your name, which may make clients perception of you change for the better (i.e., you're no longer a social worker, you're a doctor). Also, it may help you land more permanent teaching positions at universities, I have heard of tenured DSWs, but if that's your goal I'd think a PhD would still suite you better. All things considered, I would think it mainly help you to improve your clinical skills through further education. $00.02

Are they comparing salaries from DSW's who graduated many years ago or recent DSW graduates? My problem with the current DSW programs is how expensive they are, almost as expensive as some professional psychology doctoral programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a really good point. They could be comparing late-career SWs with the overall average. However, it's still a pretty significant difference -
MSW 50th percentile: $55,000.00
MSW 75th percentile: $70,700.00
DSW 50th percentile: $72,000.00
DSW 75th percentile: $90,000.00

http://workforce.socialworkers.org/8-SalarySurvey.pdf (page 6)

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm totally considering the DSW. Does anyone here have a DSW or know much about it? (other than what's on the school website). What's the huge benefit to getting a DSW?

Why? I don't mean to be snarky, but you really should have a clear understanding of why you want to pursue a degree, understand the costs/benefits of the degree, and then see if it is feasible. Personally, I'm not sure why the degree exists because (besides degree creep), as there are already Ph.D. programs for SW that are well respected and provide scholarly training to produce researchers and educators.

I'd recommend figuring out what you want to do as a career and see if further training is needed, and if so…what kind? If it is doctoral, then consider the Ph.D. If it is to gain more clinical training, then consider seminars/continuing education classes, etc. All of these "new degrees" is about revenue generation for universities…and not an actual need in the field.

I am currently finishing up my first year of a DSW program and have already reaped the benefits. My program focuses on leadership and administration in social work, and I was able to win several interviews with some new and even high-ish profile organizations for Executive Directorships. I am now ED/CEO of a small, national bullying-prevention program. Also, the ability to pursue applied research with financial and mentoring support has been a boon both to my professional life and my academic life (the latter fact is somewhat obvious, but perhaps the former is less so). Honestly, the coursework has been mixed...could take some and leave the rest. But that is besides the point; I have met some incredible people who have really changed my perspective and have learned a great deal. Personally, I was already something of a researcher before entering the program, but this program has enabled me to hone my interests and skills and pursue a line of inquiry that has been very meaningful for everyone involved. Furthermore, the point of pursuing a doctorate is not simply to refer to oneself as "dr."; you cannot overstate the importance of being educated and recognized as much in a field that is rife with competition. Also, no one pursuing this degree believes that money is going to come pouring out in buckets. However, the ability to be taken seriously for more prestigious roles, with greater responsibility and an associated pay scale, is certainly an imperative, too. While I don't want to teach at this time, I may in the future, and this opens those doors in a very serious way. All in all, my feedback is this: if you have any good reason you can think of to do it and you can finance it, do it. The personal, professional, and even (some) financial rewards will be well worth your investment of time and money on the front end.

@Therapist4Chnge The DSW has been around forever though. I completely agree with scope creep and believe it's at fault for many things, but the DSW has at least been around since the 70s. In fact I want to say it was one of the first advanced degrees for SW, but then was replaced by the PhD to model other programs? I'll have to fact check that. At any rate, it has only recently -- like 2007 or 2008 -- started to become popular again.

So it's not a fly-by night degree or new. Though I do agree with you, it may still be about revenue generation for some universities in the same way that some (not all) PsyD programs operate.

Though I did just google some programs, and it looks like the cost of the DSW at some universities is cheaper than some MSW programs at other universities. For example the University of Tennessee has a DSW and in state tuition makes it only approx 35K. The more expensive MSWs are wayyyy over that. Apparently Tulane has a DSW. I'm guessing that's WAYYYY more than 35K...

**EDIT** oops -- corrections. The first advanced social work degree was a PhD offered by Bryn Mawr in 1920, the DSW emerged in 1947 offered at Catholic University.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am currently finishing up my first year of a DSW program and have already reaped the benefits. My program focuses on leadership and administration in social work, and I was able to win several interviews with some new and even high-ish profile organizations for Executive Directorships. I am now ED/CEO of a small, national bullying-prevention program. Also, the ability to pursue applied research with financial and mentoring support has been a boon both to my professional life and my academic life (the latter fact is somewhat obvious, but perhaps the former is less so). Honestly, the coursework has been mixed...could take some and leave the rest. But that is besides the point; I have met some incredible people who have really changed my perspective and have learned a great deal. Personally, I was already something of a researcher before entering the program, but this program has enabled me to hone my interests and skills and pursue a line of inquiry that has been very meaningful for everyone involved. Furthermore, the point of pursuing a doctorate is not simply to refer to oneself as "dr."; you cannot overstate the importance of being educated and recognized as much in a field that is rife with competition. Also, no one pursuing this degree believes that money is going to come pouring out in buckets. However, the ability to be taken seriously for more prestigious roles, with greater responsibility and an associated pay scale, is certainly an imperative, too. While I don't want to teach at this time, I may in the future, and this opens those doors in a very serious way. All in all, my feedback is this: if you have any good reason you can think of to do it and you can finance it, do it. The personal, professional, and even (some) financial rewards will be well worth your investment of time and money on the front end.

I just finished my first year in a DSW program myself. I definitely think it's going to open doors for me. I actually just landed a job teaching as an adjunct at a large research university in the fall. Certainly a job that many have gotten with only an MSSW, but I do not think I would have gotten the gig at this time without being in the DSW program. I still think the question of whether it's worth the money is a good one. My situation is different as my degree is paid for as part of my current employment. I am not sure I would have done it otherwise, but generally the people who have graduated from the program seem to think it's paid off.