PhD vs DSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonzie37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working towards my LCSW and am thinking about the next step. I'm considering going for either a PhD or DSW but am not sure which would be better for my future goals. I would like to continue to practice clinically in some way but may want to do some graduate level teaching in the future.

Any suggestions about what might be a better path would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What, exactly, are your future goals? You might be able to teach with a master’s degree in some settings. Unless you want a full time academic or research position, I’m not sure why a doctoral degree would be necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
DSW programs have become quite a cash cow for some universities. Listen to Mama and be very, very clear on your goals and whether a potentially very expensive degree that doesn't provide a new level of licensure is really necessary. If you decide it is, be aware that some DSW programs are clinically focused, some are macro-focused, and some focus on SW education. CSWE doesn't accredit DSW or PhD in SW programs but I would strongly urge you to go to a place that has a CSWE-accredited master's degree. Such a school is likely to provide a more solid education and faculty to help you network toward your post-DSW career options. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I am an LCSW with a DSW. In my experience, a primary motivation for seeking the DSW is to deepen clinical knowledge and skill for continued practice as well as to open doors to higher positions within organizations. It can also be helpful in seeking non-adjunct, teaching-focused faculty positions in higher ed. If that's in line with your goals, I think it can help you get there, assuming it's financially feasible. That's a big assumption because these programs can be very expensive.

Alternatively, there are plenty of other ways to grow more clinically outside of a degree program whether that's certificates (e.g., Bellarmine); online continuing education (e.g., Psychotherapy.net); seeking paid consultation with a therapist you respect (beyond required LCSW hours), and various workshops/conferences to get certified in anything from EFT to EMDR. The academic degree program route has the advantage of ending with the tangible result of a doctorate, which can matter a great deal (or not so much) depending on practice setting. I do think the DSW is going to become increasingly common. I think one disadvantage is that you won't necessarily get additional direct practice supervision as part of a DSW program the way you might as part of a certification process in a certain modality. You will likely be doing course work and it will be up to you to apply it to your current practice more on your own.

As for the PhD in social work, I probably won't go that route unless you're quite sure you want a career in academia, particularly at a research-focused university. There are definitely LCSW's who go straight into working on PhD with the aim of getting a tenure track faculty job. I think the market is probably favorable to this approach right now as there never seem to be enough licensed clinical social workers with PhDs in academia.

A good read if you can get your hands on it is DSW: From Skpetic to Convert by Florida State SW prof Dr. Bruce Thyer, if you can get our hands on it. Feel free to PM me with questions. Also check out this
article by the same author about "predatory" doctoral programs so you can be careful to avoid going down the wrong path.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user