Considering returning to school in mid-40s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jme102

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a 44 year old pharmacist with a Pharm.D. degree. I make great money, and I don't dislike my job (though it's in insurance, so it isn't quite the "help others" idea I had going into medicine.)

Over the past few years, I had some horrible tragedies occur, and it brought up a lot of past childhood trauma that hadn't been dealt with at all. As such, I've been in a DBT program for 3 years, and working on prolonged exposure therapy.

I want to help other people who have suffered unspeakable trauma, and have been contemplating going back to school. I don't know what my chances would be - I had excellent grades (3.6 GPA undergrad, 3.8 pharmacy.) I'm also not sure what the best pathway would be for me since I would like to focus on PTSD/cluster B/dissociation. Any advice on ways to increase my chances of getting into a school, and the best terminal degree to pursue? Anyone else gone back to obtain a psychology degree later in life?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you're describing, it sounds like your interests are in psychotherapy, which is 100% achievable with a master's degree in either counseling or social work. A master's degree would be 2-3 years of study plus another 2 for post-degree supervision. You are probably fine grade wise considering most master's programs that I'm familiar with don't really require much in the way of pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the fact that you've already completed an advanced degree and can likely articulate valid reasons for pursuing this line of work, I think you'd be competitive. A good personal statement/cover letter will help a program to assess fit.

Some MS level programs value specific things like relevant volunteer experiences. Some programs are especially focused on social justice advocacy/diversity (and their website and program materials will reflect that). A lot of programs are very transparent about what they are looking for so you can always try to reach out to the program director and ask. Or apply and see what happens (and ask for feedback on improvements if unsuccessful).

You'll need to seek out specific training experiences focused on your interests, both during grad school (e.g., relevant practicums) as well as after graduation as most programs focus on foundational basics (e.g., counseling microskills, professional ethics, etc), especially the MSW since psychotherapy is one element. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow MSW who is working on LCSW in CA. If you think you want to pursue therapy I say go for it! you've done Pharm. D so workload should not be an issue. I would suggest trying LMFT or MSW. I am not sure about LMFT program, but MSW program is designed to understand social work - not just therapy. We work in macro, mezzo and micro level. However, good thing is with an MSW, you can practically move with different position - if you want to. For myself, I started as a case manager and than moved on to individual therapy. I plan to get my license and continue to work in underprivileged area with lack of resources - Mental health access. I would say go for it. It is never late :)

Reactions: 1 user
I would also advocate for an MSW program. I have two fellow interns at my practicum site this year, one in her late 40s and one in her early 60s, who are career switchers and are so inspiring to me! It’s totally possible and I think life experience only makes you a more seasoned, dynamic clinician.

You’re more or less a shoe-in for MSW and master in counseling program. Glad to hear PE worked for you. Go for it!