Confusion about program??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denevistas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there fellow dentics,

I am planning to apply for my residency...MDS...

The tough part right now is deciding which speciality!!?:confused::scared:

My professor says perio has gr8 scope....others say endo does... personally id rather do Ortho / OMFS... considering that we havent been trained much about these two in dental school here in India...and id love to learn..plus both r real gr8 fields!!

I have a couple of questions:

......Does doing an OMFS from a country outside the US/Canada mean that the chances of you coming to US/Canada and practicing the same are slim?? i.e. would I be better off if i did OMFS in the place I want to settle....??

......If my past work experience/record shows that i am good at a certain speciality (endo), would I rather use that and get into a program that I apparently "love" or apply to one where i "want to learn"....

As always, any contributions appreciated! :):rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there fellow dentics,

I am planning to apply for my residency...MDS...

The tough part right now is deciding which speciality!!?:confused::scared:

My professor says perio has gr8 scope....others say endo does... personally id rather do Ortho / OMFS... considering that we havent been trained much about these two in dental school here in India...and id love to learn..plus both r real gr8 fields!!

I have a couple of questions:

......Does doing an OMFS from a country outside the US/Canada mean that the chances of you coming to US/Canada and practicing the same are slim?? i.e. would I be better off if i did OMFS in the place I want to settle....??

......If my past work experience/record shows that i am good at a certain speciality (endo), would I rather use that and get into a program that I apparently "love" or apply to one where i "want to learn"....

As always, any contributions appreciated! :):rolleyes:

Which do YOU like the best? That's the one to do...

If you don't have much exposure to OMFS or Ortho, you should spend some time getting such exposure, either by shadowing a practitioner or doing a rotation at a program that practices the full scope of the specialty.

For what it's worth, OMFS is great and unquestionably has the widest scope of any dental specialty.

Hey hanks for the input man.....

I have infact "shadowed" aka assisted an OMFS at alot of surgeries and really love the field....thing is I plan to finish the MDS elsewhere and eventually route to the west...which is why i am hesitant about choosing the field.... f

rom what i understand the laws wouldnt allow me a smooth sailing as would be the case if i were to do say an endo or a perio MDS....

am i right about the same???:eek:

PS...tho i totally think endo is gr8 n i love doing good rc's....but OMFS is more fun....:D:scared: