Confused about post-match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazyindy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to residencies throughout the new york city area (bk, bronx, queens) but have only gotten one interview (woodhull). If I dont get any additional interviews, people told me post match usually works out for students. How does post match work exactly?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Phase I
Following the release of the results, ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR programs with available positions are permitted to fill those positions, independently of the Match, with applicants who did not obtain a position in the Match. However, no action to fill ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR positions remaining unfilled after Phase I is to be taken prior to 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019.
A list of ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR programs with available positions will be provided to unmatched applicants in the NMS Match System beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019. Residencies may update the information on this list.
Residencies will also have access to information on applicants who submitted Rank Order Lists but were not matched beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019.
Phase II
Following the release of the results, AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED programs with available positions are permitted to fill those positions, independently of the Match, with applicants who did not obtain a position in the Match. However, no action to fill AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED positions remaining unfilled after Phase II is to be taken prior to 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020.
A list of AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED programs with available positions will be provided to unmatched applicants in the NMS Match System beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020. Residencies may update the information on this list.
Residencies will also have access to information on applicants who submitted Rank Order Lists but were not matched beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Phase I
Following the release of the results, ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR programs with available positions are permitted to fill those positions, independently of the Match, with applicants who did not obtain a position in the Match. However, no action to fill ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR positions remaining unfilled after Phase I is to be taken prior to 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019.
A list of ORTHO, PERIO, PROS, ANES and Canadian GPR programs with available positions will be provided to unmatched applicants in the NMS Match System beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019. Residencies may update the information on this list.
Residencies will also have access to information on applicants who submitted Rank Order Lists but were not matched beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on November 22, 2019.
Phase II
Following the release of the results, AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED programs with available positions are permitted to fill those positions, independently of the Match, with applicants who did not obtain a position in the Match. However, no action to fill AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED positions remaining unfilled after Phase II is to be taken prior to 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020.
A list of AEGD, US GPR, OMS and PED programs with available positions will be provided to unmatched applicants in the NMS Match System beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020. Residencies may update the information on this list.
Residencies will also have access to information on applicants who submitted Rank Order Lists but were not matched beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon ET on January 22, 2020.
Hi, I have a couple of questions about the post match:
1-How does a candidate apply to the a program after match? Calling to the program or sending an e- mail? How does it work?
2- Can a candidate apply to a program having an open position, which he/she was denied before?
Thank you so much:):)

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the post match:
1-How does a candidate apply to the a program after match? Calling to the program or sending an e- mail? How does it work?
2- Can a candidate apply to a program having an open position, which he/she was denied before?
Thank you so much:):)
This thread might be helpful: Post-Match...how does it work?

Thank you. I actually red this thread before. However it dos not include the answer of this question: Can I apply to the program post match, which I applied and was denied before!

Following the Match, there may be programs that have unfilled spots and applicants who did not successfully match.

Around 12:00PM of Match Day, a list of programs that have unfilled spots are sent to applicants who did not successfully match. It is up to those candidates to complete a scramble in which those applicants call up the places on that list in order to secure a spot on the phone or secure an interview that may lead to a residency spot. Only programs on that list have positions available to offer.

My advice is to read the tea-leaves prior to Match Day. If you aren't interviewing at a lot of places, chances are you aren't going to be matching. It's purely a numbers game and you have to err on the side of caution (i.e. you didn't wow the program enough to be ranked high enough on their list). So if this is you, my advice would be have packets ready to send/fax on the day of Match when you are calling around. (e.g. statement of purpose/personal statement, letters of recommendation, CV, etc).

Thank you. I actually red this thread before. However it dos not include the answer of this question: Can I apply to the program post match, which I applied and was denied before!
I don’t imagine there is any harm in doing so.

I took an applicant I didn’t rank last year. Had two open spots. She was a good candidate, just didn’t fit into my initial plan. After match she contacted me and I took her. Also took a guy who was top 10 but not matched by the one program he was promised and ranked. Amazing hands and skills. Post match can work.