This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bguiloffs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm an international medical student graduating December this year.
My plan is to ideally participate in the next match (opening this year). However, I see that interviews start generally from October through January. I have only passed Step 1 (with a competitive score, I think) and have to schedule my test taking for Step 2 CK and CS. I'm still finishing my clinical rotations so it's practically impossible for me to take Step 2 CS in the states until December. If I do it in December, my report could be ready as far as February 21 (2018). The ROL deadline this year was February 22. Theoretically, It might be ready by that time... but how does this late CS testing affect my chances at getting interviews with only Step 1 and 2 CK done? I wouldn't be verified or certified until February...

Any help? Suggestions?

Thank you very much to anyone who has some advice on this!

Ps. PD's are the ones who schedule interviews? Do I have no chances of rescheduling them?

Members don't see this ad.

It would benefit you to try and take it earlier at all possible. Whether it excludes you from interviewing is dependent on the program, but not getting your score back until right before ROL deadline is pushing it. Personally, I took mine late in the game, but still got several interview invites. Most my programs didn't care I hadn't taken it yet, but all wanted to make sure that I would have my score back in time. But again, it is dependent on the program. Program Coordinators (not PDs) are the ones responsible for scheduling interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
As an IMG, you must have a passing score on CS to be part of the match -- it's what makes you ECFMG eligible. I believe (from post history) that the above poster is a DO. The situation will be very different for an IMG. Many programs require both Step 1 and 2 CK/CS scores to even consider interviews at all.

Bottom line: Find a way to take it earlier. You mentioned it was "practically impossible to do so". That suggests some wiggle room. Wiggle.

Reactions: 1 user
As an IMG, you must have a passing score on CS to be part of the match -- it's what makes you ECFMG eligible. I believe (from post history) that the above poster is a DO. The situation will be very different for an IMG. Many programs require both Step 1 and 2 CK/CS scores to even consider interviews at all.

Bottom line: Find a way to take it earlier. You mentioned it was "practically impossible to do so". That suggests some wiggle room. Wiggle.

Definitely. I understand I need all three to be a part of the match.
Do PCs generally allow rescheduling of an interview? This one's quite an important question... because if they don't, then I'd miss out on any interview (if I get any) scheduled on October, November, and half of December.

Thank you for your answers!

Do PCs generally allow rescheduling of an interview? This one's quite an important question... because if they don't, then I'd miss out on any interview (if I get any) scheduled on October, November, and half of December.

As an IMG, you need Step 2 CK and CS results by the time that ERAS opens +/- 2 weeks if you want to push your luck. This means that you really have to take CS around June/July.
If this is not possible, I would advise against applying this cycle. It will only waste time and resources.

its hard to say...some programs will tell you that you need them to receive an interview, but others won't care...and still others won't tell you that its an issue, but still won't give you an interview.

to optimize your competitiveness as an I/FMG you should have everything Step I, IICS and CK done before ERAS opens...otherwise you will be questioning the fact that you did not have this all done if you are not getting then number of interviews that you thought you would get.