IMG applying without Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeshake

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm a non US IMG, I was looking to apply for the 2020 match but my step 2 CS is scheduled for Sep 3rd, with the results being released by October 15th the earliest and Nov 7th the latest. I have my step 1 and step 2 ck (both 250+) results in hand, I'll be applying to IM. I was wondering if applying without Step 2 CS would limit the amount of interviews I get? Nearly all program requirements I've seen mention that I don't need CS to submit my application but need to be ECFMG verified before Feb 20th which is doable with my timeline. Do I go ahead with it or wait another year for the next iteration of the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it will limit you. You will likely get less interview. Nobody will rank you without CS.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it will limit you. You will likely get less interview. Nobody will rank you without CS.
thanks for the reply. So do you recommend waiting another year and applying for the 2021 match? I understand that the gap might be seen as a red flag, however I can schedule a year long intern year at my home institution.

You should definitely apply. Most programs just begin sending invites to IMGs around mid October anyways. I received my CS in December and still ended with >20 interviews and matched #1. Do not waste a year for this.

Why not just take CS earlier?
I would love to but there's no CS slots available before then. Add to that I've got my compulsory internship year going on atm, which makes it extremely difficult to leave for the US to give my exam; it's become a really tricky situation. What do you recommend? Take the year off or go ahead with applying? If I do I can continue my internship for another year so my app won't have a gap (right?) Thanks for your time.

You should definitely apply. Most programs just begin sending invites to IMGs around mid October anyways. I received my CS in December and still ended with >20 interviews and matched #1. Do not waste a year for this.
Thanks, this is very encouraging to see!

I would love to but there's no CS slots available before then. Add to that I've got my compulsory internship year going on atm, which makes it extremely difficult to leave for the US to give my exam; it's become a really tricky situation. What do you recommend? Take the year off or go ahead with applying? If I do I can continue my internship for another year so my app won't have a gap (right?) Thanks for your time.
Keep checking daily. Spots open up randomly. And check all cities, even if one is closer to you it's worth it to go a little further to have your CS done prior to applying.

I would still apply even if you don't have your CS in hand, but I'd be surprised if you can't find a way to take the test in July-August.

Reactions: 1 users
You can set up an automatic refresh on the registration page with a browser extension such aw "Check4Change" that will literally alarm you if a spot opens up. If it's 5 months out, someone will inevitably reschedule .

You can set up an automatic refresh on the registration page with a browser extension such aw "Check4Change" that will literally alarm you if a spot opens up. If it's 5 months out, someone will inevitably reschedule .
Thanks, yes I've had the extension on firefox for a week now, no luck yet :(

Keep checking daily. Spots open up randomly. And check all cities, even if one is closer to you it's worth it to go a little further to have your CS done prior to applying.

I would still apply even if you don't have your CS in hand, but I'd be surprised if you can't find a way to take the test in July-August.
I've got a firefox entension that notifies me when there's an open spot. I really hope it works.

EVERY YEAR...F/IMGs post the question that is basically...I am not going to have my application complete on day 1 of the opening of ERAS...will this hurt me?

The answer on SDN is always yes, they don’t believe it, bemoan the fact they dont have interview on the IMG applicant thread and puke that they are now in the SOAP with little chance of attaining a spot...

Research the theads including the SOAP threads...

Take CS early enough to be a competive applicant the first time...

Hey guys

I'm a non US IMG, I was looking to apply for the 2020 match but my step 2 CS is scheduled for Sep 3rd, with the results being released by October 15th the earliest and Nov 7th the latest. I have my step 1 and step 2 ck (both in the 250's) results in hand, I'll be applying to IM. I was wondering if applying without Step 2 CS would limit the amount of interviews I get? Nearly all program requirements I've seen mention that I don't need CS to submit my application but need to be ECFMG verified before Feb 20th which is doable with my timeline. Do I go ahead with it or wait another year for the next iteration of the match?

Obviously if you happen to fail CS you would not get ECFMG certified. Can't take it sooner? Why in Sept if you have already completed Step 1 and 2?

Obviously if you happen to fail CS you would not get ECFMG certified. Can't take it sooner? Why in Sept if you have already completed Step 1 and 2?
All the slots have been booked up to september. There's a few that have opened up for the tail end of August, but their score report period is still in October. My hands are tied, I really wish slots would open up for July. That's why I asked whether there was any point in applying without having my CS ready for September 15th or wait another year and apply with everything in one go.

EVERY YEAR...F/IMGs post the question that is basically...I am not going to have my application complete on day 1 of the opening of ERAS...will this hurt me?

The answer on SDN is always yes, they don’t believe it, bemoan the fact they dont have interview on the IMG applicant thread and puke that they are now in the SOAP with little chance of attaining a spot...

Research the theads including the SOAP threads...

Take CS early enough to be a competive applicant the first time...
Yeah I've seen a few threads with applicants not having CK in time and finding it hard to match but didn't see much on CS. As I've mentioned I would take CS earlier if I could; there's just no slots opening up. I thought Step 1 and Step 2 ck were good enough to apply for img's guess I was wrong. Might have to wait another year then?

Yeah I've seen a few threads with applicants not having CK in time and finding it hard to match but didn't see much on CS. As I've mentioned I would take CS earlier if I could; there's just no slots opening up. I thought Step 1 and Step 2 ck were good enough to apply for img's guess I was wrong. Might have to wait another year then?
The problem is that many if not most programs set a filter at you having passed 1, CK, and CS - because without them you're not eligible for the match. You must be ECFMG verified (not certified - that takes longer) to be able to match, and that verification requires Step 1 and *both* halves of Step 2. I understand that you're planning on having them passed before the match - but the programs don't know that, and why would they "waste" an interview slot on you when there's so many other candidates that have met that bar?

Keep hoping for getting in before that July date, because that's going to be your best odds with getting interviews. Otherwise, yes, it's a serious handicap.

Reactions: 1 users
The problem is that many if not most programs set a filter at you having passed 1, CK, and CS - because without them you're not eligible for the match. You must be ECFMG verified (not certified - that takes longer) to be able to match, and that verification requires Step 1 and *both* halves of Step 2. I understand that you're planning on having them passed before the match - but the programs don't know that, and why would they "waste" an interview slot on you when there's so many other candidates that have met that bar?

Keep hoping for getting in before that July date, because that's going to be your best odds with getting interviews. Otherwise, yes, it's a serious handicap.
I really hope I can get one in July, that would be ideal. Got multiple notification bells going. I'm just trying to plan for the worst case scenario, if you were me would you wait another year to apply or just apply now? Which would be worse?

Waiting is worse. Do not delay a year for this issue as waiting a year will certainly harm your chances. Programs will begin to assume you’ve tried and failed to match previously.

You should be trying very hard to take it earlier in any city available.

You should make sure your application is otherwise ready on the first day.

I really hope I can get one in July, that would be ideal. Got multiple notification bells going. I'm just trying to plan for the worst case scenario, if you were me would you wait another year to apply or just apply now? Which would be worse?

You keep going sort of in circles here. There’s nothing really you can do except hope and keep checking the site for a new, earlier spot for CS. But if you can’t there is anything you can really do, you should go ahead and apply as increasing years from
Graduation puts you at a disadvantage.

You keep going sort of in circles here. There’s nothing really you can do except hope and keep checking the site for a new, earlier spot for CS. But if you can’t there is anything you can really do, you should go ahead and apply as increasing years from
Graduation puts you at a disadvantage.
appreciate the advice

Waiting is worse. Do not delay a year for this issue as waiting a year will certainly harm your chances. Programs will begin to assume you’ve tried and failed to match previously.

You should be trying very hard to take it earlier in any city available.

You should make sure your application is otherwise ready on the first day.
will try, appreciate your reply

Is it because you only want to take CS at Houston?
Other exam centers should be pretty available compared to Houston.

Is it because you only want to take CS at Houston?
Other exam centers should be pretty available compared to Houston.
Nope, I'm open for any center. Desperate is the right word, really. Most are booked to the brim till September.

Thanks, yes I've had the extension on firefox for a week now, no luck yet :(
You can change the options and have it refreshed every 5 seconds. That's how I found a spot 2 weeks away from the actual test date.

You can change the options and have it refreshed every 5 seconds. That's how I found a spot 2 weeks away from the actual test date.

Right. You can continue checking and checking until something opens up. I had to do that for step 3 which is even worse since it's a 2 day test, and i checked a bunch of places, constantly until i found something that worked. it's a matter of persistence.