Comparing a few Australian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. How did you choose between the australian schools you applied to? Is it difficult to gain PR in Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

No replies. How sad.

I guess you make your decision the same way everyone else does. Price, location, curriculum, cohort size etc etc.

I have yet to see an international not get PR after graduating. But flexibility is a requisite.

Have you applied? Which schools are you looking at?

Yeah I was surprised peeps didn't jump in. Maybe I didn't include enough in my initial post

I'll dm you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey gang. How did you choose between the australian schools you applied to? Is it difficult to gain PR in Australia?

Location is probably the main driving force. If you're looking to stay in Australia it doesn't really matter which school you attend as reputation doesn't play a role like it does in the U.S.

Reactions: 1 user
Mainly class size, location and flexibility to complete some electives in North America. As for the PR question it varies based on your situation but ultimately not too difficult. Some rural areas will sponsor you for PR while alternatively you can apply after a certain amount of time working based on the visa you are on

Reactions: 1 user
All medical schools teach essnetially the same cirriculum to be honest. I think location and cost will be your biggest decision making factors. There is some more perceived 'prestige' with coming from a more established and older medical school (e.g. University of Sydney), but to be honest, when most Australian hospitals and clinics are hiring & interviewing, they don't care which University you went to, so long as you're safe & competent, prepared to work hard, and got a good personality & attitude.

PR is a separate issue. After graduation, once you're employed & sponsored by your employer, and after staying & working in Australian for a certain length of time, and after passing a bunch of assessments (e.g. English language competency, Australian history, criminal history checks, referee checks, etc.), you may apply for permanent residency or citizenship. More information on the Dept of Home Affairs website.

Reactions: 2 users