Colorado transfer requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for clarification on whats required when receiving a transferred prescription from a different retail chain. I read the law to say that you must have a first/original fill date on the transfer...meaning you can not transfer a prescription which has never been filled. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

In my 10 years working retail, if a script was just logged and never filled, we would always tell them written date: xx/xx/xxxx, never filled and it was fine to transfer. Controlled substances were a different story, though.

Looking for clarification on whats required when receiving a transferred prescription from a different retail chain. I read the law to say that you must have a first/original fill date on the transfer...meaning you can not transfer a prescription which has never been filled. Is that correct?
No. The first fill date is "never filled" I think the intent of this is to make sure a prescription is only filled to the extent the prescribed required and it equals the total quantity dispensed from all pharmacies. Errors can happen when rxs are transferred. Dea policy is that 3 thru 5 REFILLS can be transferred so an rx put on hold can't be transferred.